Senator Appointment to Southeast region
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:44:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senator Appointment to Southeast region
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Senator Appointment to Southeast region  (Read 3794 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 10:03:57 AM »

Add: gporter: "DWTL, you're a hack"
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »

If it wasn't for the fact it would delay things even more, I would suggest someone file another lawsuit as the Southeast is being denied its voice in the Senate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2008, 12:50:17 PM »

If it wasn't for the fact it would delay things even more, I would suggest someone file another lawsuit as the Southeast is being denied its voice in the Senate.
Duke should have an appointment soon
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 03:21:58 PM »

Duke should have an appointment soon

Why? Has he said he will deliberately disregard the judgment of the Supreme Court?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2008, 12:16:31 PM »

Duke?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2008, 03:38:21 PM »

Why does the Southeast not have the right to be represented in the Senate?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 04:19:35 AM »

Yeah. When will that by-election be held?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2008, 06:59:36 AM »

Yes, where is Duke? This is getting ridiculous.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2008, 04:32:59 PM »

Hello all,

The past few days have been a busy time for me. Because it was America's birthday, I usually take all weekend to celebrate. I will be appointing DWTL to the senate seat after much deliberation, because he has the experience and track record to do the job. While this is a quick thing, I trust he'll be ready foe the job. I will be out until Monday night before returning to my duties full time. I. Hope everyone takes care and continues to have a blessed and fun 4th of July weekend.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2008, 04:33:42 PM »

Hello all,

The past few days have been a busy time for me. Because it was America's birthday, I usually take all weekend to celebrate. I will be appointing DWTL to the senate seat after much deliberation, because he has the experience and track record to do the job. While this is a quick thing, I trust he'll be ready foe the job. I will be out until Monday night before returning to my duties full time. I. Hope everyone takes care and continues to have a blessed and fun 4th of July weekend.

A good choice.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2008, 04:41:01 PM »

Will not disappoint Smiley, I will hope for a full-term next weekend.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2008, 06:41:52 PM »

This is all excellent, but why has Duke decided to ignore the ruling of the Supreme Court?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2008, 07:29:04 PM »

This is all excellent, but why has Duke decided to ignore the ruling of the Supreme Court?

I've been thinking about this, and I do not necessarily believe that appointing DWTL to the current vacancy is in conflict with the courts ruling.

(1) There is a vacancy in the Southeast Senate seat.
(2) The constitution allows Gov. AHDuke to fill said vacancy.
(3) The Supreme Court mandated a special election to resolve the problem of an ineligible person winning the General Election.
(4) The Supreme Court said nothing about requiring the seat be vacant until after the election occurs.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2008, 03:55:08 AM »

I've been thinking about this, and I do not necessarily believe that appointing DWTL to the current vacancy is in conflict with the courts ruling.

(1) There is a vacancy in the Southeast Senate seat.

Agreed.

(2) The constitution allows Gov. AHDuke to fill said vacancy.

Disagree.
The Supreme Court have decided (wrongly in my opinion, but nonetheless decided) that the vacancy was to be filled by election. They are the ultimate arbiters of the Constitution and the decision of AHDuke (who had the judgment brought to his attention) is flagrantly and deliberately overruling the Court.

(3) The Supreme Court mandated a special election to resolve the problem of an ineligible person winning the General Election.

Agreed.

(4) The Supreme Court said nothing about requiring the seat be vacant until after the election occurs.

The Court demanded the election be held 'forthwith' which was technically prior to the vacancy even arising. The Acting SoFA (by himself IMO overruling the Court also on what was meant by 'forthwith') has created the elongated period of vacancy which has allowed for this decision to come about.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2008, 09:12:33 AM »

Hello all,

Remind me to strangle you next time we meet.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2008, 08:11:28 PM »

The Court demanded the election be held 'forthwith' which was technically prior to the vacancy even arising. The Acting SoFA (by himself IMO overruling the Court also on what was meant by 'forthwith') has created the elongated period of vacancy which has allowed for this decision to come about.

The only way that I could've held an election on the day it is to be held, sometime prior to this upcoming Thursday/Friday, would be to open the booth before a vacancy occurs.  I have not overruled the Court.  The Court stated "forthwith" but stated no instructions that I am to ignore election laws and hold it sooner.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 03:40:31 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2008, 03:44:28 AM by Jas »

The only way that I could've held an election on the day it is to be held, sometime prior to this upcoming Thursday/Friday, would be to open the booth before a vacancy occurs.  I have not overruled the Court.  The Court stated "forthwith" but stated no instructions that I am to ignore election laws and hold it sooner.

The Supreme Court is the institution in which we invest full authority to interpret our laws.
The majority decision of the Supreme Court decided that the election should be held "forthwith".
I can't find any definition of 'forthwith' which isn't a synonym for 'immediately'.

You don't have to worry about other election laws about timing - the Supreme Court have issued you with an instruction, you weren't supposed to have any choice. You were supposed to open the booth at the earliest possible opportunity. You decided to reinterpret the Supreme Court's decision to fit into your interpretation of the law - which has had very awkward consequences for the Southeast Senate seat.

Whatever way you choose to characterise it, you deliberately overruled the Supreme Court. As far as I'm concerned your decision is unjustifiable, unacceptable and indefensible. Indeed, I think it is a resigning matter.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2008, 10:10:24 AM »

I would think whether or not the seat is vacant would not be relevant. Two weeks ago we held elections for seats that were not vacant. I thought this special election was to override the results of the regular election, and once this election is certified, then the winner would replace whoever is currently in office.

That said, hopefully by Monday this whole situation will be over with and we'll have a Senator in place for the next 3 and a half months.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies