The Examiner: Election Tracker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:01:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Examiner: Election Tracker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 80
Author Topic: The Examiner: Election Tracker  (Read 194015 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2008, 10:10:42 PM »

Uh, I see no reason to get angry over this. I've tried to make this clear before - This is a game.

Anyway, the childish behavior continues. Apparently, I'm the only person who "seems" angry even though you and a few others continue to beat your chests, telling me how you won't stand down to my authoritarian behavior, won't be silenced by the tyrant, etc.
For someone who isnt angry, you sure do love to belittle your opponents and break down civil discussion through sly remarks and useless insults.

As for the confirmation process, Im glad it is running smoothly as well. Thats what we shot for here, sadly some decided to derail that.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2008, 10:11:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Qualifications and conduct in Atlasia, not who ought to have been nominated.

Emphasis added.

Hughento and I had our problems here, too. I suggest laying off the arrogance when you don't fully understand the situation.

That's the byword with me, huh? Should my next campaign slogan be "The Arrogance to Bring Change" or "Arrogance We Can Believe In"?

You probably just wanted to annoy me so you can be the child that you are and say, "Haha! Look! You have a temper!" Typical.

No, here you are, in your defense of yourself, doing the crime. Painting your dissenters as nothing more than constant and infamous whining 'children'. I dont see how anyone even takes you seriously with all the hypocrisy in your words, sir.

How else am I supposed to characterize your silly behavior? You want to bait me and when I defend myself, you get to point to an "infamous temper?" Laughable.
No, I have expressed a dissenting opinion, along with many other very respected Atlasians. This isnt silly behaviour, this is a serious discussion Atlasia is having, whether youre angry we're having it or not. Sorry, Phil, say what you want about me, you won't bludgeon me into silence. Ive got nothing to lose.

And, continuing my roll as "Broken Record in Chief," I'll say again that I don't have a problem with the disagreement with my decision. I have a problem with the unnecessary anger with my decision and my desire to stand by my extremely qualified nominee over someone who expects a life appointment.
But if we disagree with it strongly, wouldnt we naturally be angry? That seems to be a logical response to a serious breach in personal beliefs. Besides, it seems the only angry person here is you.

Uh, I see no reason to get angry over this. I've tried to make this clear before - This is a game.

Anyway, the childish behavior continues. Apparently, I'm the only person who "seems" angry even though you and a few others continue to beat your chests, telling me how you won't stand down to my authoritarian behavior, won't be silenced by the tyrant, etc.

Anyway, Mr. Moderate will make a great SoFA. I'm glad I nominated him and that his entire confirmation process ran smoothly.

Moderate will be a very good SoFA, as his comments at the hearing abundantly show.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2008, 10:14:31 PM »

For someone who isnt angry, you sure do love to belittle your opponents and break down civil discussion through sly remarks and useless insults.

LOL

This never was civil once people were "outraged" by my decision. Please. This has been taken to a whole new low. Just end it.

I tried to derail the confirmation of my nominee? What? You didn't look for a smooth confirmation process, SoS. You looked to force me into replacing my nominee with Lewis and you failed. This was never meant to make Mr. Moderate's confirmation any better.

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2008, 10:20:58 PM »

I tried to derail the confirmation of my nominee? What? You didn't look for a smooth confirmation process, SoS. You looked to force me into replacing my nominee with Lewis and you failed. This was never meant to make Mr. Moderate's confirmation any better.

With all due respect sir, the comment was not directed at you, so please dont jump to conclusions. Its simply true that all of us together allowed this to fall into nothing more than an irrelevant shouting match.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2008, 05:42:53 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2008, 05:49:21 AM by Jas »

The hughento nomination is relevant and newsworthy because of your apparant changed beliefs regarding:
i) what should be considered in confirmation hearings; and,
ii) nastiness by public officials

Correct and that was concerning the nominee at the time, not someone I wanted to be nominated. Thanks.

How is that at all relevant, except to suggest that you believe your nominees should be treated differently to previous nominees?

Uh, right. Do the job and question, criticize, etc. the nominee before the Senate. Not asking for a rubberstamp.
[/quote]

Well Phil, I'm not an Atlasian Senator - I'm a newspaper editor. This whole time I've simply been reporting on other people's actions and opinions. I haven't stated any opinion on the propriety of either the people's actions; the Senate's actions or your actions regarding the SoFA appointment. I haven't asked for a "rubberstamp". I haven't asked for anything.

If they have a personal vendetta against someone, they shouldn't be promoted to higher office. Now I know you want to say I have some "nasty" attitude directed towards people here but here's the difference: I didn't insist on taking this route. Again, I made my decision and stated it respectfully so I really don't need to hear from a bunch of bitter people about how I'm the one with a temper.

If you can find anyone else in Atlasia, anyone else - even those within your proposed administration, that thinks you aren't primarily responsible for "this route" into nastiness - then please put them front and centre and I'll report it. We'd all like to see them try and hold a straight face doing it.

The timeline is there to see in the paper; people were disappointed and registered that disappointment, but the first evidence of name calling and a nasty temper; and indeed almost exclusively all of the name calling and nasty temper evident since then has eminated from you and you alone.

Note that Moderate has behaved with perfect sensibility throughout. You though have accused the outgoing SoFA of acting like a baby; the Southeastern Governor of ignorance of Atlasian procedure; the (outgoing and presumably incoming) PPT of not understanding how the Senate works; not to mention general accusations against the public as well as myself. In each and every one of these instances, the nastiness has all been begun by the same person.

I think the real problem here is that Jas and SoS are extremely bitter people. They want to point to my alleged temper problems but the issue at hand is that these two can't get over a decision I made that they personally hate. I also think Jas can't get over his electoral defeat in the previous election. Remember, one of my two opponents (or possibly both) wanted me shut out of the debate before the election because I was a "non factor." Remember that? Ever since that defeat, Jas has obsessed over filling his paper with stories (which might - just might - be a little one sided) concerning my administration. Such a pity he can't move on.

You've stated a number of untruths in this statement.
1. I haven't publicly stated how I felt about the nomination at all. There's no way you could conclude that I "personally hate" it. FTR, my actual opinion on the matter is yes I think Lewis should have been allowed to continue as SoFA, he was doing a fantastic job. The DoFA is a non-political office, which as President you will have negligible interaction with. Your reasons for the replacement seem to me to be simply an excuse to get rid of a person who you simply don't like. I do though think that Mr. Moderate will make a fine SoFA. I have every confidence in his ability to do the job and to do it well and I wish him the best of luck as I have no doubt that the Senate will confirm him.

2. I didn't shut you out of any debate. Indeed I'm on record as being in favour of your participation in a number of instances. For the record, I don't think Sensei ever came out against your inclusion either. I have no idea who called you a "non-factor", but it wasn't me. Frankly, you either know or should know that I was in favour of your participation - the accusation strikes me as another, in an increasingly long list, of nastiness baiting by you.

3. I'm not "obsessed with filling the paper about stories on the administration" - I think I've been fairly assiduously covering all news in Atlasia. Please point to the significant events I've not covered. I've also reported your defences to the many accusors you face and on those rare occasions when someone else steps in to help you. If you can point to, and prove, inaccuracies - I'll change them. If you feel a piece is unbalanced - explain why, or even better write a rebuttal. Like it or not, the nomination has been a major story consuming numerous threads. Nothing else that's been happening comes close. If you don't like how it's been playing then you can do something about it - but don't be surprised if the press thinks that the actions of the President are newsworthy.

4. Frankly, for a long time before the election I was fairly sure I was going to lose - something known to a handful of people who conversed with me during the latter end of the campaign. I'm actually really enjoying the newspaper thing. I have no bitterness at all. I offered Atlasia a competent, experienced administration - they chose to reject it, as is their right. They've picked you - someone who offered "unity" and a return to the glory days. I'm simply reporting on your efforts.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2008, 07:42:01 AM »

The Examiner
9 March 2008

Press Secretary: MAS nomination withdrawn
White House Press Secretary, Walter Evans Edge has announced that the cabinet nomination of MAS has been withdrawn. Mr. Edge said, “The President regrets making the nomination, and in the coming days, will put fourth the name of someone more qualified.”

Unfortunately the veracity of the statement cannot yet be confirmed as the Press Secretary declared that MAS had been withdrawn as the “Secretary of Defense” nominee (whereas MAS had been nominated as Attorney General); and, as regular readers may recall (see The Examiner, 29 February), the Press Secretary has needed to be corrected on a number of occasions in his prior announcements.

The announcement comes just hours after MAS announced his imminent leave of absence. It is unknown whether or not MAS is aware of the Press Secretary’s briefing or indeed whether the timing of the announcement in this matter is coincidental.

The briefing follows on from criticism (as reported yesterday) of the nomination of MAS regarding his competence and the prior campaign of Keystone Phil against a cabinet nomination of MAS, where Phil described him, inter alia, as “more concerned with having yet another title to his name instead of actually doing the job he might be called to do”, “always in a contest to get more positions in Atlasian government under his belt”, and a boneheaded, arrogant hack.

Despite strongly defending the nomination of Sen. Moderate as SoFA, President Phil has offered no substantial defence to the criticisms levelled against MAS.

----

Meekermariner submits Constitutional Amendment for election of SoFA
In an apparent response to the ongoing SoFA replacement story, Senator Meekermariner (PLP-ME) has placed on the Senate’s legislative agenda a Constitutional Amendment to Elect the Secretary of Forum Affairs. The Amendment proposes to remove the right of the President to appoint or to dismiss the SoFA. The Amendment proposes to make the SoFA and Deputy SoFA positions directly electable by the people. 

In related news, Sen. Hughento (NLC-MW) has indicated his intention to vote in favour of Sen. Moderate’s nomination.

----

BRTD abandons PLP’s “annoying 13 year olds” in favour of “progressive” JCP
Yesterday evening BRTD left the Progressive Liberal Party and joined the Jesus Christ Party, declaring “Basically I went with the party of progressives over annoying 13 year olds.

BRTD’s statement also revealed that the decision was a result of a PM from JCP leader, bgwah – leading to the inference being that the JCP are now actively recruiting outside of their stronghold Pacific region.  JCP strength on the west coast has been absolute for some time and the party has been the subject of controversy for supporting candidates running under their banner regardless of activity levels. They have never been a political force in any other region of Atlasia.

PLP leader, Sensei, has recognised that BRTD’s comments regarding the PLP aren’t baseless but attempted to defend the party saying, “The annoying 13-year olds are simply a wing of the party.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »

How is that at all relevant, except to suggest that you believe your nominees should be treated differently to previous nominees?

No, no, maybe you misunderstood. That was my issue with the nominee. What's your issue with the nominee? Nothing. You simply want someone else.

And that's because Mr. Moderate wasn't the one being ganged up on. Lewis did act like a baby with his sense of entitlement. TCash doesn't understand that this process is about a nominee and not someone who he wants to be the nominee. Amazing how my "attacks" on these people are totally uncalled for but when they inform me of how things ought to go, it's not at all nasty or insulting.

You are a biased hack still bitter about your failure of a campaign, Jas. Nothing more. Sorry. You want to say I'm the one who started all this nastiness well that's what you get.

You people have refused to report that I made my nomination with the utmost respect for Lewis and tried to reason with people. Your organization is a joke.

Or, as I've stated time and time again, this is about giving someone else a chance; someone who is extremely qualified. Again, your bias is unbelievable.

You're accussing the moderator of lying then, correct?

You have sought out every possibly story which portrays me in a negative way. You reached all the way back to a feud with Hughento which, even he would agree, was totally different than what's going on here. You are a biased hack.

You're reporting with such an extremely slanted view and you know it. You constantly bring up (as you did just a few hours ago in your recent joke article) my personal problems with MAS from ages ago which are completely irrelevant now.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2008, 03:16:49 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2008, 03:19:40 PM by Jas »

Amazing how my "attacks" on these people are totally uncalled for but when they inform me of how things ought to go, it's not at all nasty or insulting.

Your problem is that this statement is actually true.
Again, see if you can find anyone else to back you up in this regard.

You are a biased hack still bitter about your failure of a campaign, Jas. Nothing more. Sorry. You want to say I'm the one who started all this nastiness well that's what you get.

Smiley You realise saying it, doesn't mean it's true, right?

Furthermore, the evidence is there that you are at fault for the nastiness, I've cited plenty of examples. It's plainly there for everyone to see. It's here right now in fact, you keep resorting to namecalling and personal attacks instead of rational discussion.

You people have refused to report that I made my nomination with the utmost respect for Lewis and tried to reason with people. Your organization is a joke.

Are you seriously suggesting that when you presented the nominations, in a respectful manner, that your respectfulness was newsworthy? You seem to think this marks you out as the innocent party in all this.

Respectfulness is what's expected. That's the norm. It's not news (though given that you're establishing new norms - it may be something worth reporting in future.)

Just because there where then voices expressing disapproval, doesn't give you the right to be nasty and claim the moral high ground. That's just basic civility and manners!

You're accussing the moderator of lying then, correct?

I didn't accuse anyone of lying.

You have sought out every possibly story which portrays me in a negative way. You reached all the way back to a feud with Hughento which, even he would agree, was totally different than what's going on here. You are a biased hack.

What is there to report about your Presidency in a positive fashion?

And once again, the fact that the confirmation hearing related to hughento is irrelevant. The reasons why the nomination was relevant was because you raised objections to the nomination on grounds completely unrelated to qualifications (which up until that point had been the only thing you had suggested were important to such hearings; and secondly because you said that public displays of nastiness were incompatible with high office.

The nomination could have been for anyone and those two points would still stand.

You're reporting with such an extremely slanted view and you know it. You constantly bring up (as you did just a few hours ago in your recent joke article) my personal problems with MAS from ages ago which are completely irrelevant now.

The problems with MAS are clearly not irrelevant. You made extremely derogatory attacks on his character; competence; and qualifications. You have since stated that qualifications and conduct are very important considerations in confirmation hearings. You impugned both, in the strongest possible terms against MAS. Of course it's relevant.

When disapproval was expressed towards the nomination of Moderate, you have very staunchly argued against the dissenters. Since criticism was made of MAS, you've said next to nothing.

And finally, this morning your Press Secretary declared that you were withdrawing MAS's nomination immediately after he disappears from the forum for a week long absence.

On there own, any one of these raises questions about your relationship with MAS, taken together they give the impression that your confidence in MAS is extremely limited.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2008, 04:59:42 PM »

Roll Eyes

I think plenty of people have backed me up, saying this was my decision and the mob mentality was ridiculous.

Right back to you.

Again, I took part in a rational discussion when I respectfully made my decision and praised Lewis for his service. People like Lewis and SoS then pounced on me in a nasty manner saying that my reasoning wasn't good enough. I've cited this countless times. You choose to ignore it.

Uh, it doesn't make it newsworthy. I'd just like that to be present when you are tearing into me for being so extremely nasty. I started this all off in the kindest way possible. That's never noted in your paper.

No where is it noted that after I kindly explained my decision that Lewis wasn't satisfied and gave me a hard time. That is newsworthy but not for you. It's one sided journalism with you because you are a bitter person.

Saying that you definitley didn't say anything and "don't think" Sensei did so either means the moderator (who informed us of the attempt to shut me out) is lying. Speak for yourself, not Sensei, if you aren't 100% sure or if you don't have any reason to believe he didn't say it.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

What is there to report about in a positive fashion? I nominated three extremely qualified Cabinet officials.

Also, I never said qualifications are the only thing we ought to look at.

From months ago. Do a little research into my most recent comments, hack. Picking and choosing what I have meant is ridiculous.

What objections have there been to MAS besides my comments? The one comment from Al who basically would complain about anything I do? Haha, ok, next one please...

My press secretary has addiction problems. No further comment. Next...

If my confidence in MAS is "extremely limited," why the hell would I nominate him? Seriously. Things can't change between people? Again, this is where you ought to research our history a little further. I know you're relatively new compared to most of us so I'd love to go easy on a rookie but you've chosen to throw bombs in my direction and I'm not just going to sit back and take it.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2008, 06:48:54 PM »

Roll Eyes

I think plenty of people have backed me up, saying this was my decision and the mob mentality was ridiculous.

Plenty of people? Do please cite examples...

Again, I took part in a rational discussion when I respectfully made my decision and praised Lewis for his service. People like Lewis and SoS then pounced on me in a nasty manner saying that my reasoning wasn't good enough. I've cited this countless times. You choose to ignore it.

Wow! That was nasty of them, wasn't it! Your reasoning wasn't good enough, indeed! I hope you reported them to the moderators for such callous and outrageous behaviour. You certainly turned me around there! Your exercise in name calling and raising your temper was unquestionably justified then. Roll Eyes

Saying that you definitley didn't say anything and "don't think" Sensei did so either means the moderator (who informed us of the attempt to shut me out) is lying. Speak for yourself, not Sensei, if you aren't 100% sure or if you don't have any reason to believe he didn't say it.

If you don't have any evidence, you should probably quit making these ridiculous allegations.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

What is there to report about in a positive fashion? I nominated three extremely qualified Cabinet officials.

The nominations were reported. Anything else?

From months ago. Do a little research into my most recent comments, hack. Picking and choosing what I have meant is ridiculous.

I've done plenty of research as is evident from the articles. As of yet, you've yet to come up with anything inaccurate in my work.

What objections have there been to MAS besides my comments? The one comment from Al who basically would complain about anything I do? Haha, ok, next one please...

So Al's criticism doesn't warrant response; but Lewis's did?
I think not...

If my confidence in MAS is "extremely limited," why the hell would I nominate him? Seriously. Things can't change between people? Again, this is where you ought to research our history a little further. I know you're relatively new compared to most of us so I'd love to go easy on a rookie but you've chosen to throw bombs in my direction and I'm not just going to sit back and take it.

The reason you nominated MAS is fairly clear. You ran out of time and needed someone. MAS had made friendly overtures; he had a red avatar (hence your ability to push the 'unity' message); and he's held most jobs so you felt you could demonstrate qualifications.

Also, I don't see how I'm relatively new. I registered on the forum in 2004, only a few months after you. I've been involved in Atlasian government almost continuously for over 2 years. If you're going to try and pass me of as a rookie, then you're going to have to write off the great majority of the nation as well.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2008, 07:20:15 PM »

Look through the petition thread.

Nasty behavior of others is apparently justified and you respond with mocking me about me reporting them to moderators but when I do it, I'm clearly in the wrong. Why not just warn me if I was so nasty?

Your bias is so incredibly clear.

Nothing is ridiculous about it. I have no reason to believe that Hughento would lie about that.

Yeah. Let's try mentioning how when I was confronted about the Lewis situation, I responded respectfully to everyone instead of making Phil out to be the big, bad, nasty President!

There's nothing inaccurate. I said those things. The problem, Jas, is that you have a selective memory. You wish to report on only that which makes me look bad. You clearly don't want to post about how I have an improved relationship with my nominee. Again, the bias of the joke editor is clear.

All Al said was that MAS was unqualified or something and it was one time. Lewis was persistent.

Now you're dictating to me why I want someone? I picked MAS because he was AG before and had experience here. You can speculate all your want but again, that's your biased journalism. You have zero integrity, Jas. None. You post information which was given to you off the record in order to cause trouble. Remember that? And then tell me how you aren't slanted in your reporting.  Roll Eyes

Earlier you told me not to post anything if I didn't have evidence. Now you live up to your own demand.

You are most certainly a rookie in terms of involvement here. You played an ass kissing game long enough to work your way up and then you thought you'd be crowned as President. You failed so who should you take it out on? Hmmm...I know. The new President.

Since this situation has led me to call into question your journalistic integrity, Jas, I want you to address publicly your disregard for normal procedure. Why did you report information from someone very close to you when that individual told you it was off the record? Did you want to purposely throw a wrench into the plans of the new President, Jas? Why didn't you care that posting such information could hurt your friend, Jas?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2008, 01:19:41 AM »

Who will President Phil piss off next? We'll find out after these news messages. Hehe
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2008, 07:03:17 AM »

Look through the petition thread.

Your nominee for SoEA, Masterjedi described the reaction as pathetic.
PBrunsel expressed his support but offered no chastisement to those who offered dissent.

Beyond that Sam Spade made clear he would treat the nomination independently of the the decision to drop Lewis. He neither expressed either approval or disapproval of the decision or of the public reaction.

By my count only 1 statement, Masterjedi's, characterised the public reaction in similar terms to yourself.

Nasty behavior of others is apparently justified and you respond with mocking me about me reporting them to moderators but when I do it, I'm clearly in the wrong. Why not just warn me if I was so nasty?

Your bias is so incredibly clear.

Please cite examples of nastiness of others which you didn't provoke.
It's not my job to warn you if you're being nasty - I'm simply reporting it after it happens.

If my bias is "so incredibly clear", then I'm sure the readership will pick up on it and take it into account. If not, issue your own public statements - you have a Press Secretary after all.

Nothing is ridiculous about it. I have no reason to believe that Hughento would lie about that.

I issued you an invite to debate here; and reiterated the invitation here.

You made no response. I consulted with Sensei on moderator choice - we agreed on hugh. I asked hugh to open the debate as quickly as possible as time was very pressing and stated to him that I had no problem with your participation and indeed told him that you had made no response regarding the debate, but that he should feel free to PM you or state in opening the debate that you were welcome to participate.

I at no time impugned you or your campaign. I in no way attempted to inhibit your participation, if anything I actively encouraged it. Any indication to the contrary is simply untrue. I have cited the forum posts to back this up and I still have the relevant PMs. I have not directly accused anyone else of lying over this matter. If you want to continue to challenge my account here - then some evidence would be in order.

There's nothing inaccurate. I said those things. The problem, Jas, is that you have a selective memory. You wish to report on only that which makes me look bad. You clearly don't want to post about how I have an improved relationship with my nominee. Again, the bias of the joke editor is clear.

For reasons already explained, it's not entirely clear what level of confidence you really have in MAS.

All Al said was that MAS was unqualified or something and it was one time. Lewis was persistent.

Lewis only made 1 statement before you responded. After that comments went back and forth.
Al only made 1 statement about MAS, but you offered no response.

Now you're dictating to me why I want someone? I picked MAS because he was AG before and had experience here. You can speculate all your want but again, that's your biased journalism. You have zero integrity, Jas. None.

You asked me directly why I thought you nominated MAS!
My response explained why I thought you nominated him. I' not "dictating" anything - simply offering my opinion - which you asked for!

You are most certainly a rookie in terms of involvement here.

2 years in this game - and I'm a rookie? Really?
On that basis, which Atlasians aren't rookies?

You played an ass kissing game long enough to work your way up and then you thought you'd be crowned as President. You failed so who should you take it out on? Hmmm...I know. The new President.

Have you anything to back this up? Anything at all?

Since this situation has led me to call into question your journalistic integrity, Jas, I want you to address publicly your disregard for normal procedure. Why did you report information from someone very close to you when that individual told you it was off the record? Did you want to purposely throw a wrench into the plans of the new President, Jas? Why didn't you care that posting such information could hurt your friend, Jas?

I made a mistake and I apologised. The information wasn't intended to "throw a spanner in the works" of your Presidency - how could it?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2008, 11:23:07 AM »

The Examiner
10 March 2008

Vigor and Decisiveness returns?
The Examiner has been informed that last night the White House Chief of Staff, Mike Naso created a thread and indicated he would be willing to take questions. It is understood taht following a question from Sen. meekermariner (PLP-ME), the White House Press Secretary, Walter Evans Edge quoted the Senator and remarked “Hey Phil, isn't this the guy you called a homo?”

As of this morning the thread had been deleted. It is as yet unknown on whose initiative or on whose instructions the thread was deleted.

----

Difference of opinion between Trondheim and Moderate on election law
Outgoing SoFA Lewis Trondeim and SoFA nominee Sen. Moderate have expressed a difference of opinion (see their positions here and here) regarding the proper procedure for filling Senate vacancies of District Senators arising during the period between the invocation of the Proportional Representation Act and the actual first PR-STV elections.

The divergence is of significance in that it affects the District 5 Senate seat vacancy and the likely District 2 Senate seat vacancy caused by the election of Ebowed to the Vice Presidency and the impending confirmation of Sen. Moderate as SoFA.

----

Dave ‘Hawk’ new Southeast Lt. Governor
Earlier today Governor TCash certified the result of the region’s Lt. Gubernatorial run-off election. As expected, Dave ‘Hawk’ registered a convincing victory over sitting Lt. Governor Willy Woz and Atlasian newbie Cookies & Milk.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2008, 12:17:27 PM »

I have read over the responses of the highly reputable editor and decided that continuing this back and forth would be pointless. He clearly isn't on the same page as I am so I'll let that end.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2008, 11:24:32 AM »

The Examiner
11 March 2008

Bgwah demands ilikeverin’s resignation
Pacifican Governor Bgwah (JCP-PAC) has announced the legislative agenda which will be voted on later this week by the region's citizens. Most of the matters for decision evoke praise for Rocky Dennis. The proposals also include a measure to force gasoline stations to display prices in whole cents and an amendment which would prevent the implementation of smoking bans on privately owned establishments as has been seen elsewhere.

Resolution condemns ilikeverin
Bgwah has also included a resolution condemning Governor ilikeverin (AMR-MW), of the neighbouring Midwestern region. The resolution describes the Midwestern leadership as an “undemocratic dictatorship”; demands that ilikeverin resign; and demands that the Midwestern constitution be amended “so that it is more democratic”.

Relations between the regional administrations have been strained for some time, the most contentious issue between them being the regional status of New Mexico – the state is claimed by the Midwest but administered by the Pacific.

----

Moderate confirmation expected
The final vote on Sen. Moderate’s (NLC-D2) nomination as SoFA is expected shortly. Recent declarations of intent to vote in favour by Senators Jake (i-D4) and hughento (NLC-MW) indicated that the nomination is likely to pass easily. As yet only Sen. Verily (NLC-NE) has indicated that he will not vote in favour, but shall abstain in protest of the President’s actions surrounding the nomination.

meekermariner Amendment
During his hearing, Sen. Moderate made a statement opposing the Constitutional Amendment recently submitted by Sen. meekermariner (PLP-ME) which proposed to make the SoFA an electable position. Sen. Moderate worried that the Amendment could make the office more political, contrary to its intent.

Senator Sam Spade (SSP-SE) has also declared himself against the Amendment. Though the proposed Amendment has been the subject of some criticism, it has raised discussion about the possibility of removing the SoFA (or at least elements of the role) from the political arena.

----

In Brief

Naso Resignation
Mike Naso has resigned as White house Chief of Staff. Mr. Naso gave no reason or comment on the resignation. The President has stated that he does not accept the resignation.

It is unclear if the resignation bears any relationship to the deleted thread as previously reported (see The Examiner, 10 March). Nor is it known whether or not this will affect Mr. Naso’s planned return to electoral politics (see The Examiner, 8 March).

Verily set to be PPT for another term
The time period for nominations for the position of PPT has passed. In the absence of any announced other candidate and with the explicit support of a majority of his Senate colleagues, Verily (NLC-NE) is set to be announced as the PPT for the 24th Senate shortly.

Northeast changes position on traffic cameras
New Northeastern Governor AndrewCT (NLC-NE) has signed into law both measures which passed the recent regional plebiscite. This included a measure which will prevent the issuing of fines due to infringements registered by traffic cameras, unless these infringements result in an accident.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2008, 05:58:02 PM »

Moderate confirmation expected
The final vote on Sen. Moderate’s (NLC-D2) nomination as SoFA is expected shortly. Recent declarations of intent to vote in favour by Senators Jake (i-D4) and hughento (NLC-MW) indicated that the nomination is likely to pass easily. As yet only Sen. Verily (NLC-NE) has indicated that he will not vote in favour, but shall abstain in protest of the President’s actions surrounding the nomination.

Just FTR, I will be abstaining on my own confirmation vote.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2008, 01:13:35 PM »

The Examiner
12 March 2008

Moderate: District 5 Special Election will go ahead
SoFA nominee Sen. Moderate (NLC-D2) has said that he will allow the District 5 Special Election to go ahead as per outgoing SoFA Lewis Trondheim’s plans.

Sen. Moderate and SoFA Trondheim have expressed divergent views on the electoral law regarding vacancies for the period between the passing of the PR Act and the first PR-STV election, due to occur in April. Sen. Moderate believes that such special elections are no longer necessarily the correct procedure in filling such vacancies.

Absentee voting is open in the race between CultureKing (PLP-PAC) and Everett (JCP-PAC). No votes have yet been cast.

----

ilikeverin responds to bgwah criticism
Midwestern Governor ilikeverin (AMR-MW) has responded to the criticism levelled against him by Pacifican Governor bgwah (JCP-PAC) (see The Examiner, 11 March). Gov. ilikeverin pointed out that despite accusations of being a dictatorship, the Midwestern people have exercised their democratic rights in overruling the Governor only a few weeks ago. The Governor suggested that in truth it is the Pacific region which suffers from a democratic deficit.

ilikeverin concluded: “It is imperative that the people of the Midwest, and Atlasia at large, work to remove this pocket of undemocratic sentiment from our shores posthaste, so that our nation may prosper, united in liberty and mobilized for the common good.”

The Pacifican legislature is currently voting on a motion condemning Gov. ilikeverin’s leadership and demanding that he resign.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2008, 11:20:49 AM »

The Examiner
13 March 2008

Examiner Polling: Vox populi...
The Examiner hopes to run a regular (possibly weekly) series of polls guaging public opinion on the issues and public officials in Atlasia. Following on from our first poll, last Thursday, on Lewis Trondheim's approval rating as SoFA, our second poll has just been opened to guage the approval rating of the President.

Keystone Phil was declared elected as President 18 days ago. He swore the oath of office and gave his inaugeral address 7 days ago. The events since have been documented in this newspaper and can be perused at leisure.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2008, 12:19:50 PM »

I approve of the Network reference, whether it's intentional or not.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2008, 10:55:51 AM »

I approve of the Network reference, whether it's intentional or not.

Smiley
I was watching that just the other week...
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2008, 11:17:14 AM »

The Examiner
14 March 2008

Voting open in District 5; bgwah stands behind official JCP candidate
Voting is open in the District 5 election to fill the vacancy left by now Vice President Ebowed. The declared candidates are CultureKing (PLP-PAC) and Everett (JCP-PAC). Everett despite having made no campaign effort beyond simply making her declaration of candidacy is fancied to win having secured the all important endorsement of Pacifican Governor and JCP leader, bgwah (JCP-PAC) – indeed he has already cast his vote for Everett, as was expected.

No non-JCP candidate has held office on the west coast since WMS over a year ago. Criticisms of inactivity against JCP representatives such as former Senator Rob and current Senator Friz have not hindered the JCP’s ability to continually win electoral races. As previously reported (see The Examiner, 11 March), bgwah recently moved for a resolution to be passed in the Pacific region condemning the state of democracy in the Midwest.

Tallies (as of going to print)Sad
Everett (JCP): 1 (bgwah)
CultureKing (PLP): 1 (CultureKing)

----

Editorial: The Promise of Unity
The President promised to deliver on “unity” during his campaign, but almost 3 weeks after his election, the public seem avowedly divided on the President. Indeed, as of going to print Atlasia’s verdict seems to be a thumbs down to Phil with the poll registering net disapproval (-12.7%). More than half of our sample expressed disapproval; more than a quarter expressed strong disapproval.

A number of participants expressed the view that it was too early to assess how the President is performing. We must wait and see how the President intends to turn this situation around and what policies he will bring forward to unite the country and return it to “its glory days”.

Polling data (as of going to print)Sad
Sample: 39

Strongly approve: 7.7%
Approve: 30.8%
Neither approve nor disapprove: 10.3%
Disapprove: 25.6%
Strongly disapprove: 25.6%

Total Approve: 38.5%
Total Disapprove: 51.2%
Net approval: -12.7%
Median Voter: Disapprove
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2008, 11:10:14 AM »

The Examiner
15 March 2008

District 5 By-election Latest
The second major player in the JCP has also come out to vote in favour of Everett – Vice President Ebowed has followed JCP leader, bgwah, in voting for the official JCP candidate despite any evidence of an actual campaign and doubts hanging over the activity levels of the candidate.

With the JCP establishment squarely lined up behind Everett, a win for CultureKing in this election would now strike as a considerable upset.

Tally (as of going to print)Sad
Everett (JCP): 2 (bgwah; Ebowed)
CultureKing (PLP): 1 (CultureKing)

---

Senate votes on SoFA, SoEA nominees

Senate PPT, Verily (NLC-NE) has opened voting on the nominations for Secretary of Forum Affairs and Secretary of External Affairs. The confirmation hearing of MAS, nominated as Attorney General is on hold pending his return from absence. The vote on the nomination of Sen. Moderate (NLC-D2) has progressed as expected, so far – it is expected that the nomination will achieve the necessary majority shortly. No nay votes are anticipated on the nomination.

Tally - Confirmation vote on Sen. Moderate for SoFA (as of going to press)Sad
Aye: 2 (meekermariner; Jake)
Nay:
Abstain: 2 (Verily; Moderate)

Jake votes against Masterjedi nomination
Jake (i-D4) casted his ballot against the nomination of Masterjedi as SoEA. No public indications had been given that this vote would be forthcoming; not any explanation as to its motivation. The vote followed three Aye votes, and it is unclear whether any fellow Senators will also vote against.

Tally – Confirmation vote on Masterjedi for SoEA (as of going to press)Sad
Aye: 3 (Verily; meekermariner; Moderate)
Nay: 1 (Jake)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2008, 06:47:08 PM »

The Examiner
16 March 2008

Everett wins District 5 seat
Despite the complete absence of a campaign and indeed not even turning up to the voting booth herself, Everett (JCP-PAC) has been declared elected to the District 5 Senate seat to replace Vice President Ebowed. Ballots were cast straight down party lines with a safe 4-2 win for the JCP, thus holding the seat.

Everett has not actually been active on the forum since 11 March. Whether or not she will even get round to actually swearing into office has already been a subject of question.

The election means that the west coast now has little more than theoretical representation in the Senate.

Certified Result
Everett (JCP): 4 (bgwah; Ebowed; friz; Alcon)
CultureKing (PLP): 2 (CultureKing; Xahar)

----

AG Hearing: MAS gets off to a rocky start

Following his return from holiday, the confirmation hearing for the Attorney General nominee, MAS117 was opened by the Vice President. Sen. Jake (i-D4) immediately made his opposition clear, indicating his intent to vote against without any apparent need for questioning or further consideration. MAS responded expressing the wish that Sen. Jake could “move past” their differences “for the betterment of Atlasia”.

In his opening statement to the Senate, MAS also thanked the President for the nomination and expressed his wish for a “speedy confirmation”. MAS pointed to how he has previously held the position of Attorney General when the office was first created. Indeed, MAS was the first named Attorney General, holding the position for a few weeks. Though as was pointed out at the time by Emsworth, one of Atlasia’s foremost legal scholars, the position had no actual authority at the time, something which may be reflected in the activities MAS then occupied himself with as Attorney General.

As regular readers will be aware, the MAS nomination has been the subject of some controversy already (see The Examiner, 8 March; 9 March). Given he nature of the allegations regarding competence made against him now, and in times past, it is anticipated that the nominee may face serious questions on issues of competence.

----

SoEA Hearing: Masterjedi has less than full confidence of the Senate

Though the Masterjedi nomination seems likely now to pass, it won’t have escaped attention that the two most identifiable Senators of the right, Jake (i-D4) and Sam Spade (SSP-SE) have neither cast ballots in favour of confirmation. As of yet, no explanation has been offered.

Unofficial Tally
Aye: 4 (Verily; meekermariner; Moderate; hughento)
Nay: 2 (Jake; friz)
Abstain: 1 (Sam Spade)

----

In Brief

Moderate nomination in the bag
Following a controversial nomination, Sen. Moderate (NLC-D2) is set to replace Lewis Trondheim as SoFA very shortly. His first task will be to deal with his own vacancy from the Senate.

Xahar seeks Lt. Governorship
PLP Vice-Chair, Xahar has declared his intention to seek the Pacifican Lt. Governorship following Everett’s election to the Senate. In the absence of running under the JCP banner, The Examiner’s political team do not anticipate his attempt being successful.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2008, 09:29:18 PM »

I don't like Masterjedi's imperialistic tendencies, but I see no reason to overtly vote Nay.  Henceforth, the Abstain.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies