OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:01:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 187716 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: January 10, 2018, 02:45:28 PM »

So Nan Whaley is apparently on the way out per Jeremy Pelzer: https://twitter.com/jpelzer/status/951137463191375873

As a slight addition onto that, do we have anyone challenging Turner or not?

That'd be excellent. I know former Congresswoman Mary Jo Kilroy has been egging her to run for Congress. And no, we don't have anyone for OH-10.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1326 on: January 10, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »

So Nan Whaley is apparently on the way out per Jeremy Pelzer: https://twitter.com/jpelzer/status/951137463191375873

Probably wants to run for Mike Turner's seat. He should be announcing his retirement any day now.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1327 on: January 10, 2018, 02:51:20 PM »

Probably wants to run for Mike Turner's seat. He should be announcing his retirement any day now.

Know something we don't, or surmising based on the fact he's term-limited out of his Chairmanship and Ohio candidate recruitment is going well?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1328 on: January 10, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2018, 02:57:49 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

Know something we don't, or surmising based on the fact he's term-limited out of his Chairmanship and Ohio candidate recruitment is going well?

Both, and he's also a member of the Tuesday Group. That caucus is going to take a beating in the midterms and already has one of its co-chairs retiring. Plus, Turner has a rather anemic fundraising haul last time I checked. All signs are pointing to him calling it quits. Filling deadline is on the 7th of next month for Ohio, so if he's heading for the exits, we should know within the next few weeks.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1329 on: January 10, 2018, 03:11:46 PM »

Both, and he's also a member of the Tuesday Group. That caucus is going to take a beating in the midterms and already has one of its co-chairs retiring. Plus, Turner has a rather anemic fundraising haul last time I checked. All signs are pointing to him calling it quits. Filling deadline is on the 7th of next month for Ohio, so if he's heading for the exits, we should know within the next few weeks.

If he were to retire, you'd think he'd do it sooner, to give someone the time to build up a better campaign. Nan doesn't have federal funds, but she can make a decent transfer.

I'm a deep cynic, so I've been a bit doom and gloom, but things seem to be going well for once in Ohio. Harbaugh's outraising Gibbs, no-name Rabbi Barr is outraising Chabot. Good state legislative recruits are lining up...
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1330 on: January 10, 2018, 03:24:30 PM »

So if I understand this, if Whaley is out, and Sutton is on the Cordray ticket, then our 47th President is basically a strong favorite for the Democratic nomination for Ohio Governor?

Basically all but guaranteed, unless Kucinich effs things up.

I still like Joe more on a personal level. He's young, so hopefully, he will #RunForSomething in the future.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #1331 on: January 10, 2018, 03:30:57 PM »

If I understand, Cordray-Sutton will carry the Clinton areas in the North and the battleground region will be Eastern Ohio, along the Appalachian border? While the central region and western border towards Indiana should favor Mike DeWine, right, with Hamilton county going Cordray?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1332 on: January 10, 2018, 04:15:38 PM »

If I understand, Cordray-Sutton will carry the Clinton areas in the North and the battleground region will be Eastern Ohio, along the Appalachian border? While the central region and western border towards Indiana should favor Mike DeWine, right, with Hamilton county going Cordray?

Cordray's strength is in Franklin County (Columbus) and the more conservative collar counties, where he outperformed other Democrats. Cordray, for example, got 36% of the vote in Delaware County in 2010. Strickland got 32%. And this was in 2010, a terrible year for Democrats, and pre-Delaware's leftward trend. He also got 38% to Strickland's 36% in Licking and 39% to Strickland's 37% in Fairfield. Sutton should shore up Lorain and Summit (Akron) counties, the former of which Democrats really need to win back.

They will be at a disadvantage in the Southwest. Cincinnati is trending blue so hard it narrowly kept Hamilton County in Clinton's hand in '16, but Dayton wasn't strong enough to turn the Trump tide int he rest of Montgomery County. If Whaley is running for Congress, she could buoy Democrats out there, but DeWine/Husted will be very strong in the Southwest. Democrats could lose Hamilton to them. It all depends on who turns out.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1333 on: January 10, 2018, 05:24:51 PM »

Renacci to announce he drops gubernatorial bid, will run for senate instead.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180110/renacci-ready-to-run-for-senate-after-white-house-meeting
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1334 on: January 10, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »

lol
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1335 on: January 10, 2018, 05:34:50 PM »

Called it.
Usili
Rookie

« Reply #1336 on: January 11, 2018, 12:38:29 PM »

And Whaley is apparently going to be in an announcement with Cordray tomorrow, which is apparently going to be dropping out of the race and endorsing Cordray-Sutton per Jessie Balmert: https://twitter.com/jbalmert/status/951507445398065155
Littlefinger
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1337 on: January 11, 2018, 12:55:28 PM »

Likelihood of running in OH-10 against Turner?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1338 on: January 11, 2018, 01:25:14 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2018, 01:42:01 PM by BuckeyeNut »

High, according to some folks on Atlas who claim to know Turner's retiring.

Low, according to my Montgomery contact who's been a surrogate for Nan and points out a challenger to Turner just announced today.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1339 on: January 11, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »

Low, according to my Montgomery contact who's been a surrogate for Nan and points out a challenger to Turner just announced today.

Isn’t that just some random whacktivist though?  That said, I doubt she runs if Turner’s seeking re-election (I don’t think he will, but I have no inside info, not my side of the isle).
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1340 on: January 11, 2018, 02:19:18 PM »

Whaley expected to drop out.

http://www.dayton.com/news/reports-dayton-mayor-whaley-expected-drop-out-governor-race/T0U2GUntaaWHUdL3O8BFTN/
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #1341 on: January 11, 2018, 02:29:00 PM »

Why is Whaley dropping out and endorsing Cordray?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1342 on: January 11, 2018, 03:36:45 PM »

Isn’t that just some random whacktivist though?  That said, I doubt she runs if Turner’s seeking re-election (I don’t think he will, but I have no inside info, not my side of the isle).

Based on his paltry fundraising haul, he’s not acting like somebody that’s seeking re-election. If he is seeking re-election, he’s asleep at the wheel and I wouldn’t be surprised if Whaley jumps in before the filing deadline even without an official announcement from the Turner camp.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1343 on: January 11, 2018, 05:41:44 PM »

Why is Whaley dropping out and endorsing Cordray?

Whaley declined comment & I'm sure that, come tomorrow, her only reasoning (like that of most other politicians who've ever dropped out of a race & endorsed their odds-on front-runner opponent) will be something along the lines of "After discussing w/ family, friends, supporters, & progressive leaders in the Democratic Party, I've come to the conclusion that this is the best course of action not just for me, but for the vitally important movement we continue to build every day."

But let's be real here: a crowded primary field as well as Cordray entering the race proved challenging for her, who lacks statewide name recognition.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1344 on: January 11, 2018, 06:31:29 PM »

Whaley and Schiavoni will be back. Pillich ... Maybe not.

The fairly accurate rumor mongors over at 3rd Rail are reporting Kucinich will choose either Nina Turner of State Senator Skindell to be his running mate.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #1345 on: January 11, 2018, 06:32:39 PM »

The fairly accurate rumor mongrels over at 3rd Rail are reporting Kucinich will choose either Nina Turner of State Senator Skindell to be his running mate.

Kucinich/Turner? Jesus Christ, what a black hole of awfulness that would be.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1346 on: January 11, 2018, 06:48:18 PM »

The fairly accurate rumor mongrels over at 3rd Rail are reporting Kucinich will choose either Nina Turner of State Senator Skindell to be his running mate.

I almost want to see Kucinich and O'Neill on a ticket just for comedy sake.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1347 on: January 11, 2018, 07:06:45 PM »

I almost want to see Kucinich and O'Neill on a ticket just for comedy sake.

Ironically, Kucinich getting in is probably more likely to drive O'Neill out than Cordray. Despite O'Neill promising not to run if Cordray did.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1348 on: January 11, 2018, 07:15:08 PM »

Why is Kucinich using Michigan colors for his campaign logo?

BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1349 on: January 11, 2018, 07:20:39 PM »

Why is Kucinich using Michigan colors for his campaign logo?

He deliberately wants to lose.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies