The Examiner: Election Tracker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 04:24:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Examiner: Election Tracker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 80
Author Topic: The Examiner: Election Tracker  (Read 193617 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2008, 11:40:57 AM »
« edited: March 23, 2008, 03:58:41 AM by Jas »

The Examiner
22 March 2008

MAS nomination still up in the air
The nomination of MAS for Attorney General is no closer to resolution today as the Senate presents itself as patently unsure of how to vote. MAS have promised to “work with the Senate broaden and expand the position”, but has failed to respond to Sen. Hashemite’s query asking him to elaborate on what exactly he’s proposing.

MAS responded to a number of remarks questioning his recent activity by declaring it to be “troubling” the lack of effort Senators put into the confirmation process, saying “I can say this because I have served in this distinguished chamber before and I know the amount of work that needs to go into it to be successful.”

MAS also cited the previous problems he has had with President Keystone Phil and how they have seemingly been overcome. It is notable however with the President (and the Vice President) – both of whom were active in defending the nomination of Mr. Moderate for SoFA in the face of some Senate concern – that neither have made any comment so far in the Senate debate on MAS.

As of going to press, the Senate seems decidedly unsure of whether or not to confirm MAS.

Tally (as of going to press)Sad
Aye:  1 (Sam Spade)
Nay: 2 (Jake; friz)
Abstain: 2 (Hashemite; Verily)

----

Masterjedi begins Foreign Policy Review
The new SoEA, Masterjedi, has issued the first part of his foreign policy review. The review covers North and Central America and contains few surprises as normal diplomatic relations are set to be maintained with the majority of nations.

The SoEA did however cite “major concerns about the … lack of regard for immigration control” in Mexico, and indicated that despite the demise of Fidel Castro full restrictions would be maintained with Cuba. As noted by Lewis Trondheim this departs from the terms of the Cuban Relations Act.

Masterjedi may have been playing to the expansionist fears expressed by some Senators when he expressed interest in a possible “purchasing back” of the Panama Canal – which was only returned to Panamanian sovereignty 8 years ago.

The SoEA also declared the government to “support their claim to Bird Island”, referring to Dominica. However, The Examiner was unaware that Dominica had ever laid claim to Bird Island, having been largely concerned with the extent of Venezuelan control of the purported territorial waters of the island which they occupy.

-----

In Brief

Sensei clarifies position on Rockefeller Republican
PLP Chairman Sensei has clarified his earlier comment regarding preferencing Rockefeller Republican on his election ballot. The topic is one which was discussed in an Examiner Interview with Sensei to be published later today.

Hashemite joins Senate
The newest member of the Senate, Hashemite (NLC-D2) has sworn-in. The Senator has also announced his intention to try and retain the seat in the upcoming mid-term elections. Indeed, the NLC Chairman, Verily, has indicated that given the number of NLC candidates expressing interest a primary may be necessary to select official NLC candidates.

Drug Reform Bill on verge of failure
The Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill of 2007 is set to fail in the Senate. The bill would have decriminalised a large number of illegal substances as well as allowing the establishment of controversial “safe injection sites”.

Tally (as of going to press)Sad
Aye: 3 (Verily; frizz; Bacon King)
Nay: 5 (Jake; CultureKing; Sam Spade; Hashemite; meekermariner)
Abstain: 2 (hughento; afleitch)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2008, 11:49:01 AM »

The Examiner Interview
22 March 2008

For today's Examiner Interview, I spoke with PLP Chairman and Senatorial mid-term candidate Sensei (PLP-ME).

The Presidency

It's been a month now since you came second in the Presidential election. With the benefit of hindsight, would you have done anything differently?

Sensei: Absolutely not. It was a very interesting campaign that will be remembered for a long time, and I'm glad that I got take part in it.

What's been your take on the performance of the Phil administration to date?

Sensei: His handling of the SoFA situation has left much to be desired, and he's been getting in arguments with voters, so I'd have to say I disapprove of his performance thus far. There is still time to right the ship, though, and the things that I mentioned before have pretty much subsided. We'll see.

The Senate

You've announced your intention to seek another Senate term. What do you hope to achieve should you be elected?

Sensei: I have a few bits of legislation that I hope to introduce if elected, and I want to be a reasonable voice of moderation that appeals to all Atlasians.

What particular issues are your legislative proposals likely to deal with?

Sensei: Education and Forum Affairs

At this stage, how do you rate your own chances at being elected?

Sensei: There is a very able field in this election, but I'd say I have a decent chance. It's definitely not a sure thing, to say the least.

The PLP

As PLP Chairman, what are your targets and expectations for the upcoming elections?

Sensei: As Chairman, I would like to have at least two members elected to the Senate this upcoming election. Short of that, I'd like all of the members to show up to the polls.

The PLP has suffered from a number of membership issues in recent times: BRTD leaving over "annoying 13 year olds"; CultureKing leaving to join the JCP for a Senate seat; and Rockefeller Republican's return to the NLC. As the Party Chair, how do you react to these defections and what does it say about the state and future of the PLP?

Sensei: The PLP is still the second largest party in Atlasia. We still have our core of members that are active in party goings-on and they show up every time. The JCP knows what they're doing in terms of recruiting, though. CultureKing probably would have join the Nazi Seal Clubber Party if they had a Senate opening he could fill. I don't know what was going on in Rocky's head though.

Rockefeller Republican

Have you any particular reaction to the news that Rockefeller Republican has suspended his election campaign?

Sensei: His jumping from party to party did not necessarily help him, but he would have been a very good Senator if elected. He would also have been high on my ballot.

But surely you indicated here that he could not expect a preference?

Sensei: He couldn't expect a preference on the party list, but I also clearly stated he'd have a spot on my ballot.

Following the suspension of his campaign, do you think Rocky should resume his campaign?

Sensei: He should, but it's looking like he probably will not.

----

Any persons interested in being the subject of an Examiner Interview should contact the editor directly by PM.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2008, 05:27:20 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

LOL, what a clueless clown.
I wouldn't go as far as to call Xahar a clown, but has he seen the Pacific legislature lately? 

Funny, I actually consider the Pacific legislature to be one of the best, second now perhaps to the Northeastern one.

Even if it does nothing but regularly dispatch pure liquified crazy, at least it's doing something.
but its anything but stagnant.

Remove bgwah and the region would barely register any activity. The region is stagnant, it's Governor is not. Unfortunately, the Governor seems quite happy with the stagnancy; and indeed, with exporting it regularly to the Senate.

wow, thanks I feel the love...           Wink

In fairness to you CK, I'm sure you may well be an active and engaged Senator - however you were only chosen when the Governor ran out of other options and because you very conveniently switched party allegiance to help him out. Though it doesn't demonstrate stagnancy, it doesn't necessarily reflect all that positively otherwise.

I always would've supported him had he been a member of my party. Smiley

I'm not sure I would say I ran out of options, either, as the JCP could have appointed someone from any state. If the choice had been limited to D5 then maybe you would be correct.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »

I'm not sure I would say I ran out of options, either, as the JCP could have appointed someone from any state. If the choice had been limited to D5 then maybe you would be correct.

By my reckoning, your only real option would've been BRTD (I don't see the post tempting opebo to leave the court) - and I'm not sure BRTD would've been all that interested. It would have been very interesting to see what what have happened had CultureKing not went running.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2008, 07:12:10 PM »

By my reckoning, your only real option would've been BRTD (I don't see the post tempting opebo to leave the court) - and I'm not sure BRTD would've been all that interested. It would have been very interesting to see what what have happened had CultureKing not went running.

I'm sure we could've recruited someone.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »

So are you saying that the better option would be to not switch parties and instead let District 5 be represented by either a very inactive member or someone who is not even from the district? I feel that my decision enabled the voters of District 5 a chance to have a representative that would be active as well as one who would represent their ideas and stances well in the senate.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2008, 09:15:40 PM »

So are you saying that the better option would be to not switch parties and instead let District 5 be represented by either a very inactive member or someone who is not even from the district? I feel that my decision enabled the voters of District 5 a chance to have a representative that would be active as well as one who would represent their ideas and stances well in the senate.

But others saw it as opportunism. While I respect your argument, the comment you gave when you switched parties didn't help.

At least come back to the PLP now that you'll never have to face voters in the Pacific again.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2008, 09:18:15 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2008, 09:20:04 PM by bgwah »

But others saw it as opportunism. While I respect your argument, the comment you gave when you switched parties didn't help.

At least come back to the PLP now that you'll never have to face voters in the Pacific again.

You're still bitter about being annihilated in the run-off, aren't you? Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2008, 09:20:15 PM »

You're still bitter about being annihilated in the run-off, aren't you?

Ticked off? Very, very much so. Bitter? Not really; I have so many other options. That episode simply renewed my resolve to destroy the JCP dictatorship.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2008, 09:21:05 PM »

I'm a dictator? lol

Get back to me when I amend the constitution to require 75% of the region to remove me.

Thanks.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2008, 09:26:48 PM »

I'm a dictator? lol

Get back to me when I amend the constitution to require 75% of the region to remove me.

Thanks.

What's wrong with double standards?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2008, 09:29:05 PM »

He said I was NOT a "egregiously bad governor."
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2008, 09:30:12 PM »

Bitter? Not really; I have so many other options.

Yeah, uh....good luck with that.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2008, 09:31:44 PM »

I'm a dictator? lol

Thanks.

You're not even making sense anymore.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2008, 09:33:25 PM »

I'm a dictator? lol

Thanks.

You're not even making sense anymore.

Amn't I? This is how you win arguments.

Thank you. Smiley
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2008, 09:47:49 PM »

Fine. Enlighten me with your logic.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2008, 09:51:57 PM »

Fine. Enlighten me with your logic.

See? Exactly; it works every time.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2008, 09:53:51 PM »

Translation: You are not a dictator, and I, being the whiny crybaby that I am, seek to discredit you with lies.

Although I have to give it to you, Xahar, there isn't anybody else in this game I like watching lose more. Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2008, 09:56:10 PM »

Translation: You are not a dictator, and I, being the whiny crybaby that I am, seek to discredit you with lies.

Although I have to give it to you, Xahar, there isn't anybody else in this game I like watching lose more. Smiley

There you have it. My argument in a nutshell.

And if you like seeing me lose, who do you plan on crowning Lt. Governor this time? I should probably cast my extra votes to secure my victory.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2008, 09:58:59 PM »

Listen, I know you like to think you're being clever, but in the end you're just proving to everyone what a moron you are. Smiley

Nobody.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2008, 10:02:33 PM »

Listen, I know you like to think you're being clever, but in the end you're just proving to everyone what a moron you are. Smiley

Moron? Me? It's not like you're at the top of the totem pole. Hey, I found one thing we have in common. Jake hates us both.

Nobody.

That's good to know. I'll try getting another vote or two, just in case.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2008, 10:03:43 PM »

The best thing to happen to the JCP in ever.  (By default, but still.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2008, 10:08:52 PM »

What is? Me?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2008, 10:24:50 PM »

What is? Me?

Yuh huh.  And you better go get those other votes to show for you.  You're tied with None of the Above.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2008, 10:28:22 PM »

What is? Me?

Yuh huh.  And you better go get those other votes to show for you.  You're tied with None of the Above.

None of the other votes are online right now.

And I won't be on after 9 AM tomorrow, so I have to delegate GOTV responsibilities to somebody else.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies