Should congressional approval be required for all or most military actions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:28:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ...
Yes, for all military actions

Yes, for most military actions

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Should congressional approval be required for all or most military actions?  (Read 3045 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2013, 04:12:34 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 04:17:41 PM »

Yes, but it would require Congress not to be the utterly rotten and permanently deadlocked cluster[inks] it is.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »

Yes, most.

If Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry are bombarding Detroit or Seattle, I won't blame Obama for taking executive actions, but otherwise Congress should approve before action is taken.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 07:25:24 PM »

Congress isn't terribly sane either. But yes anyways.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 08:02:09 PM »

Yes, but it would require Congress not to be the utterly rotten and permanently deadlocked cluster[inks] it is.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 08:17:22 PM »

In addition to the emergency situation, sometimes a military action requires stealth. I think Congressional approval is required within 60 or 90 days thereafter for any such action to continue. Be that as it may, if an action is taken without approval, POTUS better have a darn good reason to present to the public square as to why he could not wait, to get advice and consent ex ante, rather than blast away and seek approval ex post. I am not sure the existing law needs to be changed however. These days a POTUS will just not do these kind of things, that he knows Congress would disapprove of.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 08:47:22 PM »

Kerry 2004- absolutely

Biden 2007- The president doesn't have constitutional authority to declare war on a nation with 70,000,000 people without the consent of congress.

Obama 2008- referred to Iraq as an illegal war

All 3 in 2013- flip flopped
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 09:23:56 PM »

In addition to the emergency situation, sometimes a military action requires stealth. I think Congressional approval is required within 60 or 90 days thereafter for any such action to continue. Be that as it may, if an action is taken without approval, POTUS better have a darn good reason to present to the public square as to why he could not wait, to get advice and consent ex ante, rather than blast away and seek approval ex post. I am not sure the existing law needs to be changed however. These days a POTUS will just not do these kind of things, that he knows Congress would disapprove of.

When did Obama seek approval for the operation in Libya?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:31:36 PM »

For anything but certain legally significant and impactful military actions, no.  I think this is an area where executive discretion works best.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 10:43:55 PM »

Isn't the President the "Commander in Chief".

Regardless, Congress should "OK" any non threatening military interventions, which describes nearly every war the US has been engaged in.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:47:08 PM »

When did Obama seek approval for the operation in Libya?

He didn't at all, but at least Bush had the decency to ask for congressional approval.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 11:06:01 PM »

The way the War Powers Resolution sets things up seems to be fine, even if the law itself is unconstitutional nonsense.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 11:08:33 PM »

The way the War Powers Resolution sets things up seems to be fine, even if the law itself is unconstitutional nonsense.

So should congress have to approve wars?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 11:15:34 PM »

Yes, Congress should have to approve wars. Not all military action though. What we're doing in Syria or Libya is/was not a war. What we did in Iraq was.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 11:19:38 PM »

Yes, Congress should have to approve wars. Not all military action though. What we're doing in Syria or Libya is/was not a war. What we did in Iraq was.

Still though we don't know if there really are weapons of mass destruction. I won't believe they're in Syria until I can see them in person either. Also, the war might be about oil. We don't know that it's not.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 11:21:48 PM »

Still though we don't know if there really are weapons of mass destruction. I won't believe they're in Syria until I can see them in person either. Also, the war might be about oil. We don't know that it's not.

I'm very cautious about pursuing any military action against Syria at this point, but... seriously?  How do you plan to do that?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 11:24:59 PM »

In theory, yes.  But seeing how dysfunctional this Congress has been in the past two years since the GOP captured the House, I would trust it less than I trust the President.   
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 11:29:57 PM »

In theory, yes.  But seeing how dysfunctional this Congress has been in the past two years since the GOP captured the House, I would trust it less than I trust the President.   

Yep it's all the Republicans' fault. Look we can't be sure the war isn't about oil. I'm just being patriotic and asking questions.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 11:31:31 PM »

Yep it's all the Republicans' fault.

It is.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What the hell are you babbling about? 
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 12:07:13 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What the hell are you babbling about? 
[/quote]

I'm just asking questions. I have the right to not agree.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 01:14:39 AM »

Basically if Congress doesn't want the president using the military for something, they can defund it. Logistically the President can't decide to launch a full scale invasion of a country without congressional approval, so the only situations this is relevant in are limited airstrikes and things like that. But the executive branch, as an institution, is better able to handle these questions than Congress is.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 02:15:35 AM »

Basically if Congress doesn't want the president using the military for something, they can defund it. Logistically the President can't decide to launch a full scale invasion of a country without congressional approval, so the only situations this is relevant in are limited airstrikes and things like that. But the executive branch, as an institution, is better able to handle these questions than Congress is.

This is true. Let's hope it doesn't lead to war.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 05:02:07 PM »

Libya was over before that "war's"  probation period was over, so there was nothing further to authorize, is my guess as to why no vote ever happened.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 06:40:27 PM »

Libya was over before that "war's"  probation period was over, so there was nothing further to authorize, is my guess as to why no vote ever happened.
The Libyan intervention was 7 months long.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 06:57:07 PM »

Absolutely. Why is this even a question? The War Powers Resolution is unconstitutional as it is and should be repealed. Congress should authorize any and all uses of military force by the United States government.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies