A New 2012 & 2016 Election Timeline: Crisis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:51:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A New 2012 & 2016 Election Timeline: Crisis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: A New 2012 & 2016 Election Timeline: Crisis  (Read 25523 times)
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 01:54:30 PM »

I hate your timeline, Romney would never win the Nom...

He did pretty well in 2008, didn't he?

I was a little hesitant on making Pataki win since I tend to favor NY politicians anyhow haha.

Not really, but I just hate Romney, I think Pataki would have won. But you are doing a good job on this timeline.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 02:00:55 PM »

I hate your timeline, Romney would never win the Nom...

He did pretty well in 2008, didn't he?

I was a little hesitant on making Pataki win since I tend to favor NY politicians anyhow haha.

Not really, but I just hate Romney, I think Pataki would have won. But you are doing a good job on this timeline.

I rather Pataki win but alas it did not work out that way Wink ...on a funny note I was telling a friend the other day that if Arnold Schwarzenegger could run for President and did, I would switch parties and vote for him just to say that the Terminator is my President.

Thanks! Next update will be this afternoon.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 10:23:48 PM »

July 5th 2012

George Pataki’s spokesman, who thought he was on hold, is caught on speaker phone saying “…turned down Romney’s offer”
   Pataki’s spokesman was quoted as saying “mind your own damned business.”
No comment on any Vice Presidential speculation from the Romney camp.

July 15th 2012

Mitt Romney announces his choice for Vice President…

Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky

Analysis: Rand Paul is relatively new on the political scene but has been involved in politics all his life thanks to his father, Congressman and a few times a Presidential candidate Ron Paul of Texas. This could prove to be a very risky maneuver for Romney who has a lead over President Obama in the polls or it could prove to be a very useful. Richard Nixon was only in the Senate for two years when Dwight D. Eisenhower selected him to be his Vice Presidential nominee.

President Obama and Vice President Biden call Rand Paul to congratulate him on being picked.

July 19th 2012

Pakistan sends another 10,000 troops into Afghanistan as fighting breaks out between Pakistani and Afghan warlord forces.

July 20th – 24th 2012

The Republican National Convention occurs in Salt Lake City, Utah. Two keynote speakers are former Governor George Pataki who speaks of national security issues and the problems that the Obama Administration made in Afghanistan and Representative Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee. Blackburn calls for all the “Tea Party” supporters to come and support true conservatives with American values Mitt Romney and Rand Paul.

Rand Paul’s speech focuses on deficit reduction and transparency in the financial market
Post Convention Head-To-Head Polls:
Romney/Paul: 57%
Obama/Biden: 40%

July 25th 2012

Mitt Romney and Rand Paul begin to campaign around the country. Rand Paul is being cast as an outsider and newcomer to Washington with fresh ideas.
   President Obama takes up a light campaign schedule, since he is President after all, while managing Presidential duties.
End of July Obama Approval: 40%

August 2012

The Democratic National Convention occurs and President Obama makes his case for re-election known to the country. The President says he has brought the economy back into a full recovery, brought the troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan, passed health care, made the government more transparent, helped support working middle class families, lowered unemployment and invested in education for American children. President Obama says much more has to be done especially in education and Social Security reform.

The keynote speakers are Governor Andrew Cuomo of New York and Senator Alexi Giannoulias of Illinois.

Post Convention Head-To-Head Polls:
Romney/Paul: 50%
Obama/Biden: 47%

Ralph Nader also announces that he will seek the Presidency as an independent. The Libertarian Party is running Wayne Root for President.

September 2012

A poll held by CNN shows that if the election were held today, President Obama would be very much in danger of losing:

Romney/Rand: 261
Obama/Biden: 168

The economy is doing well but it is not helping the President as the aftermath of the war in Afghanistan is hurting him badly as well as the constant reminder of the way the Administration passed the health care bill which was not supported by the majority of people.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 10:32:20 PM »

The economy is doing well but it is not helping the President as the aftermath of the war in Afghanistan is hurting him badly as well as the constant reminder of the way the Administration passed the health care bill which was not supported by the majority of people.

As of February 9, 2010, 63% of Americans support health care reform...

I don't think this is a hack (aren't you a democrat?), but it sure seems it.  Romney would never lead in the polls against Obama if the economy is doing well and health care is passed.  Besides, no one in the US likes Karzai anyways.  I'd be a good day in Afghanistan if he was out of office.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 10:47:03 PM »

As of February 9, 2010, 63% of Americans support health care reform...

I don't think this is a hack (aren't you a democrat?), but it sure seems it.  Romney would never lead in the polls against Obama if the economy is doing well and health care is passed.  Besides, no one in the US likes Karzai anyways.  I'd be a good day in Afghanistan if he was out of office.

63% of Americans may support health care reform but less than a majority support Obama's plan, nor could anyone agree on what "reform" is or should be.

A good economy helps an incumbent President but NEVER as much as a bad economy hurts him. In this scenario, the slowly expanding economy is not helping the President but its not hurting him either. It's overshadowed by the chaos the US left in Afghanistan by pulling out which started with the Karzai assassination and the intense media coverage of that. Also how the media gave a bad spin to health care being passed via reconciliation. It also hasn't gone into effect yet (most of it anyhow).

I'm a democrat but this scenario revolves around Obama having some troubles.
Farage
Elvis Republican
Cape Verde

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 12:32:18 PM »

good TL Smiley COntinue Tongue
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 03:11:19 PM »

September 23rd 2012

The first Presidential debate occurs between President Obama and Governor Romney. The debate focuses around national security. Romney gives credit to the President for improving America’s image abroad but nails him on Afghanistan and what is currently going on there. President Obama cites successes in Iraq and says Afghanistan’s situation is unfortunate but he did not want to put American lives into a fight that they couldn’t win. The President says “Look Mitt, I’m not LBJ –when I think we can’t win I’m not going to keep our guys in there. You might think that’s a great idea but I don’t.”

A slim majority of people say President Obama won the debate.

Head-To-Head Polling:

Romney/Paul: 48%
Obama/Biden: 44%

October 23rd 2012

President Obama orders a secret deployment of Special Forces to the mountains betwixt Pakistan and Afghanistan based on US, Pakistani and Russian intelligence.

The second Presidential debate occurs between President Obama and former Governor Romney. The debate focuses on the economy. Romney dismisses Obama claims that his policies helped the economy and falls back on his work in business and as a governor.

Romney hits Obama hard for not doing enough about the deficit which is still in the trillions as well as the incoming costs of health care that will take full effect in 2013. Obama does not get flustered during the debate but Romney is viewed by a majority to have won the debate.

Head-To-Head Polling:
Romney/Paul: 50%
Obama/Biden: 45%

October 25th

The Vice Presidential debate occurs but is rather uneventful. Rand Paul comes off as a bit quarrelsome yet proves himself as a worthy contender for the Vice Presidency.

http://October 26th 2012

Special Forces in Afghanistan begin an assault on a system of caverns that Al-Qaeda operatives are believed to be hidden in. The operation is not known to the public and only senior officials in the military and the administration. Joe Biden is kept in the dark for obvious reasons.

Monday November 5th 2012

Head-To-Head Polling:
Romney/Paul: 51%
Obama/Biden: 46%

Dark Blue/Red (90%) – Strong Republican/Democrat
Blue/Red (50%) – Safe Republican/Democrat
Light Blue/Red (30%) – Leans Republican/Democrat

10:17am EST: President Obama will be addressing the nation at 12pm EST.  Press Secretary Gibbs says he does not know what the address will be on but the President has said it is a matter of “national security.”

Reports are coming out of Afghanistan of rumors of a Special Forces team being deployed there.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »

Rand Paul as VP nominee? Wow, that might actually end up making me lean towards voting Romney, which is saying quite a lot.

Keep up the good work. Wink
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 03:53:02 PM »

11:00pm – The United States goes to Defcom 3.

11:30pm – A senior aide to the President leaks to reporters that United States Special Forces have killed and taken the body of Osama Bin Laden and that the raise in Defcom level was due to fear of attacks against the United States following his death.

11:43pm – A bomb goes off in the subway of New York City. At least 20 are dead and hundreds more injured.

11:45pm – New York Officials and Federal Officials begin responding to the attack.

12:00pm – National News outlets are covering what has been quickly determined as a terrorist attack and have received no word regarding the President’s speech.

12:07pm – Mayor Michael Bloomberg shutsdown the NYC subway system but allows the LIRR, NJ Transit and MetroNorth to continue running under extreme security procedures.

12:10pm – Bloomberg requests the NY Reserves to be placed in Penn Station & Grand Central Station, Governor Cuomo grants the request.

12:11pm – Reports coming in from AP regarding a similar attack in Seattle, Washington.

12:20pm – Reports from Washington DC say the Secret Service shot and killed a would be
 suicide bomber near the White House gates. The White House is on lockdown mode.

12:21pm – The Press in the White House is brought to the bunker for Obama to address the nation from there.

12:30pm – President Obama addresses the nation and starts off with “Last month I ordered United States Special Forces to go into Afghanistan on intelligence that we knew where Osama Bin Laden was hiding. Twelve hours ago our forces shot and killed Osama Bin Laden. Unfortunately in the process we lost two brave soldiers and today as retaliation for the death of Osama Bin Laden there have been several attacks on American soil. Many lives were lost in the subways of New York City today and on the streets of Seattle. We are still receiving information about the attacks and doing all we can to aid the survivors. Help is on the way…due to these attacks the United States will be going into Defcom 3 globally…”
 The President calls for all Americans to be vigilant in the following days and report if they see anything suspicious.
He also adds in “I am also aware that tomorrow is Election Day. I would advocate that everyone goes out to vote still, but use caution. I have instructed state, local and federal officials to increase security at all voting centers.”
Peter Gibbs says that Bin Laden’s body will arrive in an undisclosed airbase in the United States in the following hours and pictures will be available to the media.
Peter Gibbs says that Obama informed Governor Romney earlier in the day.

1:15pm: Gibbs says that President Obama has “more to worry about than voting for himself” in response to a question on the President’s schedule for Election Day.
Governor Romney cancels his schedule for the day.

2:00pm – American Marines kill several would-be suicide bombers outside the American Embassy in Iraq.

2:15pm – Turkish Police kill armed men outside the British Embassy in Turkey.

3:00pm – The FBI raids a sleeper Al-Qaeda cell in San Diego, California.

Globally there are other incidents like the previous few but nothing as big as the ones in New York or Seattle. In New York 58 people were killed and 27 injured. In Seattle 23 people were killed and 96 injured.

No one group claims responsibility for the attacks.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 07:25:32 PM »

Tuesday November 6th 2012 – Election Day

President Obama clears his schedule for the day and travels to New York City to meet Governor Cuomo and Mayor Bloomberg in the Bronx. The President holds a joint press conference with the two other officials as well as FEMA and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.

President Obama then has a video conference with the Governor of Washington Christine Gregoire regarding the same topics, and apologizes for not being able to fly out to Seattle today.

Pundits are unsure if or how the attacks will play out in the election today. Governor Romney has his first public appearance since two days ago, today –and has been quiet since the attacks.

Romney travels throughout the northeast trying to get people out to vote.

7:00pm polls close in Indiana, Kentucky, Georgia, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia

7:05pm: Wolf Blitzer:

We are now ready to call our first state of the night…

Kentucky will go to Governor Mitt Romney.

President Obama is doing very well early on in Georgia and Virginia. The President’s showing in Virginia will show how strongly his supporters came out tonight and if the recent attacks play a role in tonights election.

Soon after Wolf Blitzer announces two more states…

Unsurprisingly, Vermont will go to President Barack Obama

8:00pm polls close in New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, West Virginia, Delaware, Illinois, Alabama, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee

Romney is leading in both Virginia and Georgia but only 20% of precincts are reporting.
Wolf Blitzer: Our exit polls are showing a surprising very strong showing for President Obama in Georgia which no Democrat has won since President Clinton. President Obama lost this state in 2008…

Wolf Blitzer makes several calls in a row a few minutes after 8pm

Massachusetts for President Obama
Maryland for President Obama
Delaware for President Obama
Illinois for President Obama
Connecticut for President Obama

Mississippi for Governor Romney
Alabama for Governor Romney
Tennessee for Governor Romney
West Virginia for Governor Romney

Obama/Biden – 54 Electoral Votes – 13,196,450 PV
Romney/Paul – 34 Electoral Votes – 9,003,594 PV
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 08:45:29 PM »

Romney will sweep the west and industrial belt! Go romney
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 11:45:55 PM »

9:00pm polls close in Kansas, Michigan, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Louisiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Wyoming, DC, Florida

We are now able to call the state of Georgia in favor of…

This is a huge --but extremely slim-- win for the President and it could show a movement across the nation in favor of the President. 

New York for President Obama
Rhode Island for President Obama
Minnesota for President Obama
Washington DC for President Obama
Wisconsin for President Obama
Maine for President Obama
New Jersey for President Obama
New Hampshire for President Obama

What is also surprising is that we cannot call South Carolina for anyone yet. Romney should have been able to pull off an easy victory here.

We can call Nebraska for Mitt Romney with one congressional district still up in the air.
Wyoming for Governor Romney
Kansas for Governor Romney
Arkansas for Governor Romney
Louisiana for Governor Romney
Oklahoma for Governor Romney

Obama/Biden – 153 Electoral Votes – 28,331,833 PV
Romney/Paul – 51 Electoral Votes – 20,505,961 PV
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 02:57:06 AM »

10:00pm polls close Iowa, Montana, Nevada, and Utah

More states are called at 10pm as the polls close…

In an unexpected blow to Mitt Romney, Michigan is carried by President Obama.

Pundits: It looks like Americans are rallying behind their President in response to the terror attacks and the capture and death of Osama Bin Laden.

Pennsylvania is carried by President Obama
Virginia is carried by President Obama
Florida is carried by President Obama

Nebraska’s second congressional district goes for President Obama

Utah goes for Governor Romney
Texas goes for Governor Romney

Pundits: The election can’t be called yet because people are still voting on the West Coast but unless California fails to deliver for the President, then President Obama will be re-elected tonight.

Obama/Biden – 227 Electoral Votes – 43,694,406 PV
Romney/Paul – 116 Electoral Votes – 36,197,111 PV[
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2010, 03:01:59 AM »

11:00pm polls close in Idaho, California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington

Wolf Blitzer: We are now ready to call the presidential election of 2012, as well as all of California’s electoral votes, in favor of President Barack Obama. The President has defeated Governor Romney and will serve a second term.

Results are still coming in though. How large of a victory the President has is unclear.

Results at the moment the election was called:

Obama/Biden – 286 Electoral Votes – 51,107,291 PV
Romney/Paul – 119 Electoral Votes – 40,433,046 PV

Next: Morning After Analysis & Extensive Results
Historico
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 11:23:20 AM »

Awesome update, althothough I think Romney would keep it Close, itld still should be a pretty strong Obama win. Im definatley looking forward to seeing what you have instore for 16 as who will succeed Barack as well as if the GOP continues their trend toward Progressivim and either nominate Jindal or Rubio(Eventhough I don't agree with their polices, It would be nice to see a Hispanic or Asian American President right after Obama's) Keep it commin nick
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2010, 10:26:37 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2010, 08:11:15 PM by sirnick »

Morning After Results & Analysis:

President Barack H. Obama /Vice President Joseph R. Biden – 410 Electoral Votes (76%) –71,263,973 (53.5%) Popular Vote

Governor Willard “Mitt” Romney/Senator Rand Paul –129 Electoral Votes (22.4%) – 60,363,120 (45.4%) Popular Vote

Minor Candidates: 1,417,925 (1.1%)

Analysis:
   The Presidents victory came on the coattails of his strong reaction to the terrorist attacks on November 5th and the capture of Osama Bin Laden. What is important to note is that in terms of the popular vote he received about the same percentage as in 2008, but significantly more actual vote. In regards to theElectoral College, this is a huge victory for President Obama sweeping 76% of the college, however; the President’s victories in many of the states he won in 2008 was extremely slim. Mitt Romney proved to be a formidable opponent in many states that were considered safely Democratic and probably would have won if it wasn’t for the terrorist attacks.      

30% Red/Blue = exactly or less than 1% margin of victory
50% Red/Blue = 1.1-2.9% margin of victory
70% Red/Blue = 3-5% margin of victory
(EV with less than 5% of margin of victory = 214 Electoral Votes that went in favor of the Democrats, 4 in Favor of the Republicans)

Margin of Victory - % Color
5% & under - 30%
5-15% -  50%
15-25% - 60%
25-35%-  70%
35-50% - 90%

Senate Results:
Texas: Republican Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst wins Kay Bailey Hutchinson’s seat. No party change.
California: Feinstein wins re-election
Delaware: Carper wins re-election

Florida: Nelson wins re-election
Hawaii: Akaka wins re-election

Michigan: Stabenow wins re-election
Minnesota: Klobuchar wins re-election

Missouri: McCaskill wins re-election
Montana: Tester wins re-election

Nebraska: Nelson wins a slim re-election
New Jersey: Menendez wins re-election

North Dakota: Conrad wins re-election
Ohio: Brown wins re-election

Pennsylvania: Casey wins re-election
Rhode Island: Whitehouse wins re-election

Virginia: Webb wins re-election
West Viginia: Democratic Governor Joe Manchin wins Robert Byrd’s seat.

Washington: Cantwell wins re-election
Wisconsin: Kohl wins re-election

Vermont: Former Governor Howard Dean wins election to the United States Senate following the retirement of Bernie Sanders.
Connecticut: Governor Jodi Rell beats Joe Lieberman and Ned Lamont for Senate. +1 Republicans.

Arizona: Kyl wins re-election
Indiana: Dick Lugar wins reelection.

Maine: Snowe wins re-election
Massachusetts: Brown wins re-election

Mississippi: Wicker wins re-election
Nevada:  Ensign wins re-election

Tennessee: Corker wins re-election
Utah: Hatch wins re-election

Wyoming: Barrasso wins re-election
New York: Gillibrand wins re-election

Senate Composition:
Democrats: 51
Republicans: 49
*Note, I realized I never stipulated that Evan Bayh won re-election or even ran in 2010. In my timeline, he runs for re-election, wins and announces that his 2011-2017 term will be his last term as Senator.

House Composition:
Democrats: 219 (+2)
Republicans: 220 (-2)

Democrats maintain a small majority in the Senate while a one-seat majority for the Republicans shows their grasp on power.

Gubernatorial Races 2012:

Indiana: Republican Mike Pence wins a first term as Governor.
Vermont: Democratic Governor Deb Markowitz wins a full term as Governor.

Utah: Republican Governor Gary Herbet wins a full term of his own.
New Hampshire: Democratic Governor John Lynch wins a fifth two year term.

Montana: Republican Representative Dennis Rehberg is elected Governor.
West Virginia: Democratic Lt. Governor Earl Ray Tomblin is elected Governor.

Delaware: Democratic  Governor Jack Markell wins a second term as Governor.
Missouri: Democratic Governor Jay Nixon wins a second term as Governor.

North Carolina: Democratic Beverly Purdue slides into a win on the President’s coattails and wins a second term as Governor.

Washington: Democratic Christine Gregoire wins a second term as Governor.
North Dakota: Republican Governor Jack Dalrymple wins a term of his own.

I realized I never posted the 2010 gubernatorial results so I made em and put them on the first post.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 10:36:19 PM »

Just checked the first post for the 2010 governors. Micheli ftw. Cheesy
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2010, 12:15:38 AM »

Update tomorrow (Tuesday)
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2010, 06:42:11 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2010, 10:38:39 PM by sirnick »

January 20th 2013

President Barack H. Obama is inaugurated for a second term as President of the United States. The President promises to continue changing and reforming Washington, further improve education and upgrade infrastructure all around the United States including building sustainable and green high speed public transportation. The President has called his win a mandate for the continuation of change and his agenda.
   Former Presidents Jimmy Carter, George H.W Bush, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush attend the inauguration. Privately, relatives of Carter and Bush Sr. are saying that they won’t make it the rest of Obama’s presidency.

President Barack Obama’s Cabinet

Vice President of the United States
Joseph R. Biden

Department of State
Secretary George J. Mitchell

Department of the Treasury
Secretary Eugene Ludwig

Department of Defense
Secretary Charles T. Hagel

Department of Justice
Attorney General Eric H. Holder, Jr.

Department of the Interior
Secretary Kenneth L. Salazar

Department of Agriculture
Secretary Thomas J. Vilsack

Department of Commerce
Secretary Gary F. Locke

Department of Labor
Secretary Richard Gephardt

Department of Health and Human Services
Secretary Kathleen Sebelius

Department of Housing and Urban Development
Secretary Shaun L.S. Donovan

Department of Transportation
Secretary Ray LaHood

Department of Energy
Secretary Steven Chu

Department of Education
Secretary Arne Duncan

Department of Veterans Affairs
Secretary Eric K. Shinseki

Department of Homeland Security
Secretary Gary Hart

The following positions have the status of Cabinet-rank:

White House Chief of Staff
Thomas Daschle

Environmental Protection Agency
Administrator Lisa P. Jackson

Office of Management & Budget
Director Peter R. Orszag

United States Trade Representative
Ambassador Ronald Kirk

United States Ambassador to the United Nations
Ambassador Susan Rice

Council of Economic Advisers
Chair Austan Goolsbee

President Obama shakes up his cabinet a bit –Rahm Emmanuel steps down as White House Chief of Staff and the President appoints former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle to fill the position. Daschle had withdrawn his nomination for Secretary of Health & Human Services due to tax issues. Luckily, as Chief of Staff he does not need to be confirmed.

Vice President Biden is asked in January after the inauguration if he will seek the Democratic nomination in 2016 and he says “I’m definitely considering but don’t rule me in or out just yet.”

Notes on the transition (Nov-Jan):

No major events, President Obama’s approval goes up to 65% at his inauguration his highest approval rating since 2009. There are some small terrorist attacks on army outposts around the world and embassies but they are largely unsuccessful.

Next update: A compilation of possible candidates in 2016...
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2010, 10:36:28 PM »

A well-known blogger puts together a list of possible 2016 candidates. Many of these have expressed interest or have been mentioned in the media as possible candidates.

2016 Potentials

Democrats

Vice President Joe Biden
Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton

The blogger says that if Biden and Clinton don't run, the field will expand exponentially.

Republicans

2012 Presidential Nominee Mitt Romney
Governor Mike Huckabee
Governor George Pataki
2012 Vice Presidential Nominee Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky
Senator Scott Brown of Massachusetts
Representative Eric Cantor of Virginia
Governor Mike Pence of Indiana
Governor Bob McDonnell of Virginia
Senator John Thune of South Dakota
Former Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska
Senator Marco Rubio of Florida
Governor Bobby Jindal of Louisiana
Former Governor Mitch Daniels of Indiana
Representative Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 11:58:33 PM »

February 2013

President Obama introduces a massive spending bill on infrastructure and high speed railroads. The President says that it is unfortunate that we do not have high speed railways linking all of our major cities, like in Europe.
To please Republicans much of the spending is in the form of block-grants. The President says spending is needed now so that many fixes do not become more expensive later down the line.

Obama Approval: 63%

March 2013

Senator Rand Paul forms a PAC – “American Values” creating some 2016 rumors.
   Puerto Rico is set to vote on statehood in August 2013 after a bipartisan Congressional delegation visited there including Republican Senator Marco Rubio.

Polling:

Puerto Ricans in Favor of Statehood: 53%
Status Quo: 30%
Independence: 10%

American Citizens…
In Favor of Puerto Rican Statehood: 69%
Against: 10%

April 6th 2013

A nuclear explosion is detected somewhere in Iran by US, Russian, Israeli, Chinese, Indian, European and Pakistani intelligence agencies.

Israel condemns Iran and says a nuclear Iran will not be tolerated. Israel demands that Iran turn over all nuclear facilities to the UN in the next 72 hours or else.

Russia agrees to sanction Iran more and says that nuclear power must be used for peaceful purposes. China is hesitant on following through with more sanctions.
Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Egypt and Jordan all caution Israel on the use of force against Iran but also condemn Iran for pushing the limits.

April 7th 2013

President Barack Obama says a nuclear Iran will not be tolerated by the international community and backs Israel’s threat.

Iraq secretly pleads with Iran and Israel not to go to war because it fears being used as a passage for troops by Iran.

Iran refuses to give up its facilities to the United Nations. Russia and the United States become increasingly frustrated with the Chinese for stalling on action.

April 8th 2013

48 hours in. Israel mobilizes its air force and

Iran says any attack on them is a full declaration of war.  Syria says it will join Iran in the fight against Israel if they attack.

Israel’s security forces are fully mobilized. Syria starts massing troops on the border near Golan Heights.

US intelligence reports increased military activity around the entire Middle East including in Turkey, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Israel.
   President Barack Obama calls Iran’s President and Israel’s Prime Minister to come to sit at the table with him and other Middle Eastern leaders. The President says “Iran’s nuclear capabilities are not acceptable but we must try to avoid a conflict that will consume the Middle East…”

April 9th 2013

6 hours remaining. Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Egypt have backed the United States call for talks. President Obama has said he will hold talks in Washington DC at Camp David in one week if Iran and Israel agree. The President’s condition is that Iran closes its nuclear facilities until after talks complete.
Historico
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2010, 11:35:47 AM »

Aweome it's about time that Puerto Rico become the nation's 51st state lol...As for the Democratic Field in 2016, I really doubt Joe or Hillary will run. Joe would be 73 for most of the General and coming out of McCain's troubles of shaking the age issue, I think it will be a problem. As for Hillary, I really doubt that after her disatorus '08 campaign, she has another one in and could even by 2016 be seen even more as relic of a bygone era. But I do think New York could offer up two of the next potential nominess in Senator Gillbrand and Governor Coumo. Andrew has the ambition and would be in that Special 6th year for Governor's in route to the nomination. I think Senator Hillbrand, being the Centrist Clintonian Democrat that she is could have a real shot because at at 50 she'd still be a fresh face in continunce of Obamanian's strive for Progess, even Richardson or Bob Mendez could get the nod as the Hispanic candidate....keep it comming
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »

Aweome it's about time that Puerto Rico become the nation's 51st state lol...As for the Democratic Field in 2016, I really doubt Joe or Hillary will run. Joe would be 73 for most of the General and coming out of McCain's troubles of shaking the age issue, I think it will be a problem. As for Hillary, I really doubt that after her disatorus '08 campaign, she has another one in and could even by 2016 be seen even more as relic of a bygone era. But I do think New York could offer up two of the next potential nominess in Senator Gillbrand and Governor Coumo. Andrew has the ambition and would be in that Special 6th year for Governor's in route to the nomination. I think Senator Hillbrand, being the Centrist Clintonian Democrat that she is could have a real shot because at at 50 she'd still be a fresh face in continunce of Obamanian's strive for Progess, even Richardson or Bob Mendez could get the nod as the Hispanic candidate....keep it comming

Thanks, I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of my ideas more than you know.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2010, 02:39:26 PM »

April 9th 2013

30 minutes remaining to the 72 hour mark. US Intelligence detects that Israel planes are over Iraqi airspace.

20 minutes…Iran intelligence detects the planes.

15 minutes…Israel’s Prime Minister says “Israel will make Tehran into Hiroshima if they do not agree to President Obama’s talks”

10 minutes…Iran blinks. The President of Iran agrees to President Obama’s plan, at the Ayatollah’s request, without mentioning Israel.

8 minutes…Israel planes turn around.

President Obama issues a statement thanking Israel and Iran for choosing diplomacy over violence. It is later revealed that ailing President Jimmy Carter played a role in securing Iran and Israel’s commitment to the Obama talks.

President Obama takes a shot of Hennessey.

April 10th 2013

Israel’s Prime Minister and Iran President begin the journey…or flight…to Washington DC aboard military aircraft.
   Iran’s nuclear facilities are “closed” to nonessential staff for the duration of the talks.
   White House aides begin scrambling to prepare for the Camp David Summit.

April 11th through 15th 2013

The Iranian and Israeli delegation arrives in Washington DC at Camp David. Secretary of State George Mitchell, President Obama, Vice President Biden and numerous other advisors and aides attend the summit.
   On the 4th day of the summit without any word to the media prior, President Obama calls a press conference with the President of Iran and the Israeli Prime Minister.
   President Obama announces that Iran has agreed to Muslim UN officials to inspecting their facilities and will check for the presence of nuclear weapons. Israel and Iran have agreed to this, but Israel stipulates that if there is another detection of a nuclear weapon explosion, Israel will have no choice but to react. 

April 16th 2013
   The international community applauds Israel, Iran and the US for coming to an agreement. Pundits question if Iran had more than one nuclear weapon which could be the reason why it did not come up in the press conference. All countries in the Middle East pledge UN inspectors to go into Iran.

May 2013
Obama Approval: 68%

President Obama’s infrastructure bill passes the Senate after behind the scenes compromises and barely passes in the House of Representatives. Speaker David Dreier promises to tackle social security next.

An aide to the Speaker lets it slip that former President George H.W Bush was pushing for Dreier to become speaker behind the scenes which is extremely unusual of a former President.
   Republican Representative Jeff Flake, who is known for being very against earmarks, is appointed to Senator McCain’s seat within a week of McCain’s death.

President Obama and other top officials as well as the entire Senate attend his funeral in the coming days.

Meghan McCain expresses interest in running for her fathers seat.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2010, 01:37:50 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2010, 08:34:04 PM by sirnick »

June 2013
   Senators Daniel Inouye (2016) and Daniel Akaka (2014) of Hawaii announce that they both will retire at the end of their current terms in office. They are both 89.

August 2013

Puerto Rico votes (55%) in favor of Statehood.

President Obama congratulates the Puerto Rico people on voting to become a State. Congressional leaders, various Secretary’s and the President both sit down to decide how to get the ball rolling.

September 2013

President Obama says that Congress will grant Puerto Rico statehood by the end of 2014 so that proper elections may take place, and to ensure orderliness as they admit a new state. In the meantime the Democratic and Republican National Committees in conjunction with the government of Puerto Rico will help set up elections for Senate and for the House of Representatives. It has been determined that Puerto Rico will get 6 seats in the House and, obviously, 2 seats in the Senate.

It is determined that the election for these offices will be held in December and the winners will be sworn in, in January. They will serve “special” terms until the next election cycle. A Class-2 Senator will be elected who will serve until 2014, and a Class-1 Senator will be elected who will serve until 2016, then the next winner of those elections will serve a full term. The House members elected will be up for re-election in November of 2014.

Congress passes legislation in the Senate (93 – 0) and then in the House (400 – 10) to grant Puerto Rico statehood as of January 4th 2015 when the next Congress is sworn in.

Obama Approval Rating: 65%

President Obama’s approval has remained high during his first year of his second term, and has been successful in even passing legislation with a Republican House.

January 2014
Senators Richard Lugar, Robert Bennett, Richard Shelby, George Voinovich  all announce that they will not be running for re-election this year.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies