Archbishop of Canterbury election 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:02:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Archbishop of Canterbury election 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Archbishop of Canterbury election 2012  (Read 6530 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »

The Torygraph is already calling him 'just another Left-wing establishment bureaucrat'. That was fast.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2012, 12:57:11 PM »

The Torygraph is already calling him 'just another Left-wing establishment bureaucrat'. That was fast.

I would take out "Left-wing" and insert "increasingly irrelevant."
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »

He seems like one of those compromise candidates the C of E loves so much. Sort of traditionalist, except when he's not. Sort of liberal, except where he's not. An improvement over Rowan, but that's not saying much.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »

He seems like one of those compromise candidates the C of E loves so much. Sort of traditionalist, except when he's not. Sort of liberal, except where he's not. An improvement over Rowan, but that's not saying much.

I think it's actually saying quite a lot (and also untrue), but he's definitely somebody on whom it's very easy to be more or less neutral or unmoved and I do think that was partially the point.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2012, 03:00:07 PM »

I think it's actually saying quite a lot (and also untrue), but he's definitely somebody on whom it's very easy to be more or less neutral or unmoved and I do think that was partially the point.

Rowan, and his "mechanism," really turned me off.  I'm at least somewhat sympathetic to the view that gay bishops is something that is unacceptable to parts of the Communion, but I do not want Canterbury to even hint at the idea that it has some sort shadowy, but formal, authority over the ECUSA.

I know that there are parts of the Communion that object, but they don't have a veto over us (or we of them).
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »

Rowan, and his "mechanism," really turned me off.  I'm at least somewhat sympathetic to the view that gay bishops is something that is unacceptable to parts of the Communion, but I do not want Canterbury to even hint at the idea that it has some sort shadowy, but formal, authority over the ECUSA.

I know that there are parts of the Communion that object, but they don't have a veto over us (or we of them).

That's entirely fair, and was one of my (otherwise relatively few) problems with Rowan as well. I certainly think and hope Justin might be somewhat better on that front; it's on matters of theology and dogmatics where he's not much to my taste and Rowan was very much so--which I suppose isn't really what I realistically should be judging ABCs on, so...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2012, 06:20:31 PM »

All Christian churches should excommunicate any member who doesn't believe in full equality for gays.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »

Not that I wouldn't love to see an internal putsch of some kind in the Church of England right now, but I doubt it's going to happen.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies