1st Presidential Debate Live Commentary Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 12:24:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  1st Presidential Debate Live Commentary Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17
Author Topic: 1st Presidential Debate Live Commentary Thread  (Read 24593 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: October 04, 2012, 12:38:22 AM »

So people think Romney won? Sh*t.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #376 on: October 04, 2012, 12:41:32 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Romney had his way completely. I don't like Romney - but that performance was awful from Obama. He looked like he couldn't care less about it. Romney came prepared and finally attacked the president. Romney isn't a great debator but Obama tonight showed himself just how unfit he is for re-election.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #377 on: October 04, 2012, 12:41:50 AM »

I think Obama just wanted to be with his wife.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #378 on: October 04, 2012, 12:43:51 AM »

What makes you think the feeling is mutual?
Knives
solopop
« Reply #379 on: October 04, 2012, 12:44:44 AM »

I think it is fairly obvious Michelle and Barrack really do love each other.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #380 on: October 04, 2012, 12:56:01 AM »

Romney had his way completely. I don't like Romney - but that performance was awful from Obama. He looked like he couldn't care less about it. Romney came prepared and finally attacked the president. Romney isn't a great debator but Obama tonight showed himself just how unfit he is for re-election.

There was something of this, but I honestly didn't feel it nearly as strongly as you guys (and voters, if polls are to be trusted). I might be biased, of course.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #381 on: October 04, 2012, 01:05:16 AM »

Well, after that performance, neither of them might be in the mood.  Wink

Actually, there have suggestions of tension in marriage.  Hey, look at Al and Tipper.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #382 on: October 04, 2012, 01:36:06 AM »

Garrett Haake tweets:

So far the debate has been focused on litigating Romney's plan, not Obama's record. That's bad news for the Romney campaign.
— @GarrettNBCNews
[/quote+

Romney is spanish?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #383 on: October 04, 2012, 02:04:16 AM »

Just read through this whole thread. Damn, is it ever funny how much of what happened in this debate just went right over people's heads.

From the very beginning, Romney looked like a President. Obama looked like a small man who wanted to retreat into the shadows. Romney's performance was leagues better than the president's.

I have been so down-in-the-dumps about Romney's chances, but at this point in time, I'm really sure Romney will win every debate. This man is practiced. Remember all the nervous laughter we used to get out of him? That didn't happen once. Romney was interested in listening to Obama and actually wanted to explain himself. Obama wasn't listening at all (did you catch him smirking at people in the audience when Romney was talking?).

If Romney can win every debate, I think he has a good shot at winning this election.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #384 on: October 04, 2012, 02:36:29 AM »

One word comes to to mind right away when it comes to Obama: Uninspiring.

Then again, it is only appropriate when one considers that "hope and change" has morphed into "fear and smear."
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #385 on: October 04, 2012, 02:38:14 AM »
« Edited: October 04, 2012, 02:40:00 AM by Politico »

Obama wasn't listening at all (did you catch him smirking at people in the audience when Romney was talking?).

Somebody needs to splice these into a compilation on YouTube STAT. Almost as bad as Gore's sighs. Or how about the time Obama looked over his right shoulder while Romney was staring right at him?

Absolutely. If Romney wins every debate, it probably won't even be close on Election Day. Even if the next two debates are simply ties, which is likely given the political prowess and competitive streak of Obama, Romney can still win.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #386 on: October 04, 2012, 02:38:46 AM »

Then again, it is only appropriate when one considers that "hope and change" has morphed into "fear and smear."

Yeah, if you watch Fox News all day...
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #387 on: October 04, 2012, 02:40:40 AM »

Or the first presidential debate?

Why is Obama running for re-election again? So he can smear Mitt Romney in relentless ads but not do so on national television?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #388 on: October 04, 2012, 02:49:38 AM »

Or the first presidential debate?

Why is Obama running for re-election again? So he can smear Mitt Romney in relentless ads but not do so on national television?

And Romney hasn't smeared Obama in his waves of ads? I know you think Romney is Jesus Christ 'come down from the cross, but I don't think even you would admit that.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #389 on: October 04, 2012, 03:17:17 AM »

This is Obama's Rise moment. just like from The Dark Knight Rises. Batman tries to fight Bane the first than he overpowers him and breaks his back than faces off with him later and defeats Bane. so what Obama needs to do is "Retrain" himself for the next debate.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #390 on: October 04, 2012, 06:41:13 AM »

Obama should have hammered him on what deductions he will cut, and what the threshold will be for the "well off" who will see their deduction go down. That math really doesn't add up and Obama should have been more aggressive about that rather than repeating the $5 Trillion tax cut line. He should have also more aggressively pursued how Romney is planning on reducing the deficit if he has a revenue neutral plan. Again, the numbers don't add up. Romney is saying just by lowering tax rates, the entire economic fundamentals of the world economy would change and we would see 4-5% growth. Obama needed to aggressively point out it didn't work with Bush and it won't work this time either. Furthermore he should have aggressively gone after Romney and asked him what his health care plan would be after he repeals Obamacare. Romney had absolutely no specifics there at all. I don't know what was off with Obama. He missed many, many opportunities to challenge Romney.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #391 on: October 04, 2012, 06:57:42 AM »

It seems to me that the narrative of this debate is highly damaging to Obama. We've had a dull campaign with two relatively dull candidates (Obama may be inspirational to those who like him but he's not really entertaining) where the result seemed settled. Now you have a big pro-Romney story with all the comeback elements that Americans seem to love.

I doubt it will be enough to change the outcome, but it might make the race interesting again.

I should caveat by saying that I didn't actually see the debate.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #392 on: October 04, 2012, 07:08:18 AM »

Well, after that performance, neither of them might be in the mood.  Wink

Actually, there have suggestions of tension in marriage.  Hey, look at Al and Tipper.

Don't be a creep...

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #393 on: October 04, 2012, 07:08:18 AM »

Neither were great, but Romney spoke more fluidly and came across as a bit more human than he has done in previous debates. Some people have been putting out the theory that Obama deliberately laid off in this debate so he throw everything at Romney in the next two with lower expectations. I hope they're right.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #394 on: October 04, 2012, 07:30:56 AM »

It's naturally easier to win when you're a scumbag with no principles who is ready to say anything to get elected. Marokai said it well last night, it's really hard to counter Romney given that he was just up there, lying away and being dishonest about every single thing, just talking in platitudes and his usual far-right bullsh**t. Though Obama, frankly, could have done a way better job. He should have reminded voters that Romney is a rich sociopath.

And JJ, just shut up. Please. Shut up.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #395 on: October 04, 2012, 07:34:57 AM »

Why is Romney blatantly lying about his tax plan? His tax cut plan is pretty simply... he is cutting marginal income tax rates 20% across the board. That is close to a $5 trillion dollar tax cut.

Not if it is tied to eliminating deductions.

Could you specify the deductions that would make this revenue neutral? What deductions would make up the $4.8 trillion difference?

Perhaps a blanket limitation on all non capital investment deductions beyond a specific dollar amount, which Romney mentioned.

This doesn't even come close to reaching 4.8 trillion over 10 years.

The fact that the media hasn't pressed Romney to answer this simple question is media malpractice of this highest order.
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #396 on: October 04, 2012, 07:41:10 AM »

Romney lies all during the debate, Obama tells the truth but doesn't attack Romney...Romney wins? oh silly america....
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #397 on: October 04, 2012, 07:50:42 AM »

Romney lies all during the debate, Obama tells the truth but doesn't attack Romney...Romney wins? oh silly america....

It's the "narrative" that matters in American presidential elections. It's barf worthy. Right after the debate was over, the media told us there was now a horse race. There was no fact checking, nothing of the sort, just endless compliments for Romney because he acted "presidential". Personally, I think he acted like a narcissist with not a bone of integrity in his body.

I watched the debate, and honestly, I think most of these pundits had their talking points ready before the debate. And it's pretty awful to see many members of this forum, many liberal Democrats, parrot the media's narrative. I thought Obama was on point last night. He didn't act like the debate was a schoolyard fight, but rather a meeting of the minds between two presidential candidates.
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #398 on: October 04, 2012, 07:55:28 AM »

It's the "narrative" that matters in American presidential elections. It's barf worthy. Right after the debate was over, the media told us there was now a horse race. There was no fact checking, nothing of the sort, just endless compliments for Romney because he acted "presidential". Personally, I think he acted like a narcissist with not a bone of integrity in his body.

I watched the debate, and honestly, I think most of these pundits had their talking points ready before the debate. And it's pretty awful to see many members of this forum, many liberal Democrats, parrot the media's narrative. I thought Obama was on point last night. He didn't act like the debate was a schoolyard fight, but rather a meeting of the minds between two presidential candidates.

I agree..the funny thing Is that America is one of the only countries that would vote for Romney.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #399 on: October 04, 2012, 07:58:30 AM »

This is Obama's Rise moment. just like from The Dark Knight Rises. Batman tries to fight Bane the first than he overpowers him and breaks his back than faces off with him later and defeats Bane. so what Obama needs to do is "Retrain" himself for the next debate.

lol
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies