Is Evan McMullin qualified to be president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 09:06:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Evan McMullin qualified to be president?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is Evan McMullin qualified to be president?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: Is Evan McMullin qualified to be president?  (Read 2077 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2016, 10:23:18 PM »

Egg McMuffin is the second most qualified person in this election
This. He has just as much experience as many former presidents.
I don't think this is true.

He held his highest post (chief policy director for the House Republicans) for a brief time.

Prior to that, he advised the House Republicans on foreign policy issues.

He's essentially the equivalent of a two term congressman when it comes to experience. And that's pretty low for historical presidents.

Below average Presidents (in terms of qualifications) included Woodrow Wilson (President of Princeton University, Governor of New Jersey for two years) and Rutherford B Hayes (two term Governor of Ohio and former Congressman)
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2016, 10:27:58 PM »

He held his highest post (chief policy director for the House Republicans) for a brief time.

He's essentially the equivalent of a two term congressman when it comes to experience. And that's pretty low for historical presidents.

Below average Presidents (in terms of qualifications) included Woodrow Wilson (President of Princeton University, Governor of New Jersey for two years) and Rutherford B Hayes (two term Governor of Ohio and former Congressman)

Honestly, Lincoln was rather underqualified. State representative, one term in the House ten years prior, and a failed Senate candidate (granted it wasn't a popular election).

Rutherford B. Hayes doesn't sound unqualified in terms of experience.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2016, 10:28:46 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2016, 10:54:29 PM »

I actually was thinking about voting for him until he made the stupid "Lincoln was a third-party candidate" claim (or at least his facebook page does).

You only vote for people who are well-versed in mid-19th century American political history?

That's Atlas for you.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2016, 10:56:06 PM »

About as qualified as George H. W. Bush was in 1980. So I'd say yes.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2016, 11:17:21 PM »

More so than Trump, certainly.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2016, 11:27:45 PM »

Two terms in the House, Director of the CIA, Ambassador to the UN.  How does McMuffin come close to that?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 12:16:18 AM »

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2016, 12:24:35 AM »

Wasn't Garfield a One-term Congressperson when he got tapped.

And we all know about Harding and Obama
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2016, 12:28:53 AM »

When I think 'qualified to be president' I don't think a resume like McMullin's, but I do when I think 'qualified to be a senator/governor/cabinet secretary', and that's a lot more than can be said for some of the other people running.

Incidentally, the refugee resettlement work is surprisingly FF for someone with his general profile.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2016, 01:58:23 AM »

Wasn't Garfield a One-term Congressperson when he got tapped.

And we all know about Harding and Obama

He was 9-term Congressman; he had served 18 years in the House, including stints as Chairman of the Committee on Military Affairs (the ancestor of today's Armed Services Committee), the Committee on Financial Services, and the Committee on Appropriations. It's very unusual (was then, would still be now) for one person to chair three of the most significant committees in the House, and Garfield would certainly still be seen as qualified today.

House members don't typically run directly for President today (and when they do they're generally fringey ideological types), but I think someone with that background would definitely be taken seriously as a candidate. Consider the three incumbent House members to have waged (semi)-serious presidential campaigns in the 21st century: Dick Gephardt, Ron Paul, and Michelle Bachmann.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 09:20:49 PM »

In addition to two full terms in the House, Papa Bush was a successful businessman (cofounder of an oil company), Ambassador to the UN, Envoy to China in an important time, Director of the RNC and Director of the CIA.

That might be below-average for incoming Presidents, but it's much more impressive than McMullin.

Honestly, Lincoln was rather underqualified. State representative, one term in the House ten years prior, and a failed Senate candidate (granted it wasn't a popular election).

Lincoln was probably one of our least qualified Presidents ever, at least on paper.

I think the only one least qualified was Chester Arthur.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2016, 09:35:09 PM »

In addition to two full terms in the House, Papa Bush was a successful businessman (cofounder of an oil company), Ambassador to the UN, Envoy to China in an important time, Director of the RNC and Director of the CIA.

That might be below-average for incoming Presidents, but it's much more impressive than McMullin.

Lincoln was probably one of our least qualified Presidents ever, at least on paper.

I think the only one least qualified was Chester Arthur.

He's about as qualified as Pat Buchanan or Gary Bauer were. 

But he's eminently qualified to carry out his REAL mission, which is (A) to carry Utah, after which he will (B) instruct his electors to cast their ballots for an agreed upon Republican other than Trump if Hillary gets less than 269 EV, which will (C) throw the election into the House of Representatives.

McMullin's candidacy is a "Favorite Son" candidacy for the EC, and not for a nominating convention.  It's not something that's happened since the Dixiecrats, but it's more of what the Founders had in mind, IMO.

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2016, 09:37:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies