FT 3-04: Commonwealth Budget for 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 11:32:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 3-04: Commonwealth Budget for 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: FT 3-04: Commonwealth Budget for 2018  (Read 3433 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 07:57:26 PM »

Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »

Fremont includes the states of California, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Iowa. I'd like agricultural subsidies to be included.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 09:04:42 PM »

Fremont includes the states of California, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Iowa. I'd like agricultural subsidies to be included.
This seems a reasonable proposal. About how much should we set aside for this, do you think?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 09:38:02 PM »

Isn't it a bit ridiculous to run such massive surpluses, especially considering the previous year's massive surplus? We have more than enough for a rainy day fund.

Perhaps a $1,000 per adult tax rebate? There's approximately 75 million adults in Fremont, so it would approximately 10% of our surplus should be rebated to the people; perhaps even more?
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 10:18:20 PM »

This seems a reasonable proposal. About how much should we set aside for this, do you think?
One trillion?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 10:18:44 PM »

Isn't it a bit ridiculous to run such massive surpluses, especially considering the previous year's massive surplus? We have more than enough for a rainy day fund.
Well, yes. The problem is that the previous government made exactly $0 in expenditures for the fiscal year of 2017, meaning more or less the entire sum of revenue collected that year has been sitting in the treasury for twelve months. We spent some of it to finance the construction of PARTA, but that barely made a dent in what was effectively a $523 billion surplus.

Perhaps a $1,000 per adult tax rebate? There's approximately 75 million adults in Fremont, so it would approximately 10% of our surplus should be rebated to the people; perhaps even more?
I would support this.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2017, 10:19:43 PM »

One trillion?
Our present surplus is only just over $800 billion. Considering that state and federal subsidies remain in effect, that seems excessive.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2017, 10:31:43 PM »

How much of a rebate do you think would be appropriate, Prime Minister? I think anywhere from 1,000 to 5,000 would be a good deal and only use up to 1/2 of our surplus.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 11:05:23 PM »

What about health care?  What's Fremont's unemployment rate-do we need any stimulus? I also call for at least $100 million in agricultural subsidies. Minnesota has been left behind for too long, let's use the surplus to help all of Fremont not just the  coast and cities.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 11:05:44 PM »

One trillion?
Our present surplus is only just over $800 billion. Considering that state and federal subsidies remain in effect, that seems excessive.
Whoops. I meant one billion.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2017, 04:04:15 PM »

I join Coraxion in calling for increased agricultural subsidies. My bottom line is $400 million-just under half the surplus-leaving the rest to be used to further benefit the people of Fremont. However I will push for more than $400 million, $500 million or even greater is ideal and will boost Fremont's agriculture.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2017, 04:51:15 PM »

How much of a rebate do you think would be appropriate, Prime Minister? I think anywhere from 1,000 to 5,000 would be a good deal and only use up to 1/2 of our surplus.
I would favor an immediate $1,000 rebate, with the additional proviso that all surplus funds remaining in the Treasury at the end of 2018 be refunded to the people.

What about health care?  What's Fremont's unemployment rate-do we need any stimulus? I also call for at least $100 million in agricultural subsidies. Minnesota has been left behind for too long, let's use the surplus to help all of Fremont not just the  coast and cities.
All good points. With passage of the federal Healthcare Reform law last month, there will certainly be fertile ground for further regional action on this issue. Given the complexities of the issue, I'd prefer we address healthcare as separate legislation, rather than part of this budget. By the most recent statistics published by the Game Moderator's Office, Fremont's unemployment rate is at 6.27% — the lowest in the nation, and 1.47 points below the national average.

As there seems to be widespread support for agricultural subsidies, the important thing is to settle on an amount — current proposals on the floor range from $1 billion (Cora) to between $400 million and $100 million (Pericles). It's important to bear in mind that these subsidies would be in addition to current federal and state spending, unless we want to assume full responsibility on the issue from the states.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »

I offer the following amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2017, 07:50:47 PM »

Agriculture subsidies should be higher as should other spending. The tax rebate could be increased too.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2017, 06:34:48 PM by Prime Minister Truman »

Agriculture subsidies should be higher as should other spending. The tax rebate could be increased too.
Care to offer an amendment?

EDIT: While I am happy to receive any proposals from the membership for putting our tax dollars to good use, I also want to make sure that legislation now in the queue of the Commons to invest $300 billion in education and $7.5 billion in infrastructure projects are not neglected here.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 02:45:52 PM »

Seeing no objection, the amendment has been adopted.

I'll allow another day or two for members to offer amendments, then move for a final vote if there is no further debate. If anyone has specific changes they would like to see made, speak now or forever hold your peace.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2017, 02:43:38 AM »

My amendment:

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 09:22:22 AM »

This looks reasonable to me; I support the amendment.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2017, 06:29:13 PM »

I support this ammendment
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2017, 06:31:57 PM »

Prime Minister, do you withdraw your own amendment in favor of Pericles's?
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2017, 09:07:51 PM »

This amendment looks good. I plan on introducing one of my own soon.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2017, 09:17:54 PM »

Prime Minister, do you withdraw your own amendment in favor of Pericles's?
Yes.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2017, 10:15:14 PM »

This amendment looks good. I plan on introducing one of my own soon.

What do you plan to propose? I will be interested in seeing it, and I am determined to reach the best possible policy for Fremont. If you have good policies in it I'd be happy to make a new amendment with them or support your amendment.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2017, 12:36:31 PM »

Pericles' amendment has been adopted, then, yes? I really hope we can move to a vote on this as soon as possible, so if Cora or anyone else would like to see additional changes made, I'd encourage them to submit their proposals post haste.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2017, 09:09:01 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2017, 10:16:16 PM by Coraxion »

My amendment. Infrastructure spending was mentioned, yes? I wanted to include both infrastructure and something else, but couldn't think of anything, so I decided beefing up agricultural subsidies would suffice.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies