Who's your favorite potential new Democratic Senator?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:05:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who's your favorite potential new Democratic Senator?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Who's your favorite potential new Democratic Senator?
Amy Klobuchar

Jon Tester

Harold Ford Jr.

Sherrod Brown

Sheldon Whitehouse

Bob Casey Jr.

Ned Lamont

Claire MacCaskill

Jim Webb

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Who's your favorite potential new Democratic Senator?  (Read 9358 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2006, 07:41:11 PM »

1) Tester
2) Brown
3) Webb
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 07:57:59 PM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 08:53:05 PM »

This I just don't vote for Dems for the Senate Pubbie, found Klobuchar quite impressive and pleasant in the debate with the hapless Kennedy. After watchiing  the debate, I realized why this seat has slipped away over the abyss and into the pit of despair.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 08:56:58 PM »

Voted Lamont out of respect for what he's already done.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006, 10:29:00 PM »

McCaskill, by a lot.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2006, 10:29:50 PM »

Ford, Jr. Everyone else thoroughly annoys me.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2006, 11:05:12 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2006, 11:08:33 PM by ian »

Can I remind people of the fiery hatred people had when Brown re-entered the race after Paul Hackett was forced to leave the race?  I'd much rather him.

Just my opinions:
Obviously, McCaskill is my fave.
+
Tester-  Great guy.  I'm glad we put up a guy who's not the typical politician.
Ford-  I approve.  Hopefully, he can create a Democratic revolution in Tennessee.  He's run a great campaign.
Klobuchar-  I don't know much about her; I probably couldn't pick her out in a picture, but I really love the campaign she's been running.  She should give Kerry a few tips.
+/-
Whitehouse-  I don't like him just because he's running against Chaffee.
Casey-  He's fine.  I'm not really a fan of running solely on your father's name, though.  And I wish he were a better debator.
-
Lamont-  Screw that guy for making us spend money on that race instead of more important ones where people aren't running against Democrats.  Whoever called him an opportunist hit the nail on the head.
(Update: I forgot Brown)  Brown-  I think it shows his true character and how little he cared when he forced Hackett out of the race.  A self-serving politician.
Webb-  I don't like sexists.  I can't really fathom why the liberal community has embraced him so.  But I guess he's better than Allen, a sexist/racist who can't control the things that come out of his mouth.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006, 11:11:03 PM »

Lamont-  Screw that guy for making us spend money on that race instead of more important ones where people aren't running against Democrats. 

Ummmm.........the DNC and DSCC haven't spent a dime on Lamont. What are you talking about?

(Update: I forgot Brown)  Brown-  I think it shows his true character and how little he cared when he forced Hackett out of the race.

Brown didn't force Hackett out of the race. Again, what are you talking about?
poughies
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2006, 11:12:04 PM »

Why do i got the feeling that many repubilcans are voting for HFJ.... i also voted for him, but i got that feeling.... Funny nobody voted for Webb......

Thank God the DSCC isn't spending a dime. They shouldn't have in the primary and shouldn't now.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2006, 12:25:01 AM »

Originally, Brown decided against the race, allowing Hackett to get in. Then Brown changed his mind, resulting in Hackett being screwed out of running.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2006, 12:48:59 AM »

No votes for Webb yet? Whats up with that?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2006, 02:59:19 AM »

I was stunned when I was the first vote for Webb. Why are non-Republicans here dissing him? The man worked in the Reagan Administration people! Who gives a rats --- what he said about women 30 years ago? He will attract a lot of votes from people who are upset about how this country is being run, but who normally don't vote Democrat.

My other favorites on this list: Tester, Brown and Casey Jr.

I have disliked Brown for making Paul Hackett leave the race. I still have a lot of respect for Hackett. But Brown's performance against DeWine on the Meet the Press kind of won me over.

Did anyone see that debate? It got kind of rowdy at times. Much more fun to watch than the Casey-ManDog snoozefest a few weeks ago.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2006, 11:57:14 AM »

Lamont-  Screw that guy for making us spend money on that race instead of more important ones where people aren't running against Democrats. 

Ummmm.........the DNC and DSCC haven't spent a dime on Lamont. What are you talking about?

(Update: I forgot Brown)  Brown-  I think it shows his true character and how little he cared when he forced Hackett out of the race.

Maybe the DNC and DSCC haven't spent money on Lamont YET, but being that he is the DEMOCRAT candidate, they probably will.  Plus, he's taking money from progressives that visit blogs, so they don't instead allocate their funds to people deserving of them, such as Claire McCaskill.
And, in case you missed it, Brown (along with Schumer and Reid) DID force Hackett out of the race.  When Brown decided that he wouldn't run, that left an opening for Hackett, which he gladly took.  When Brown changed his mind, the establishment basically forced Hackett to leave the race in favor of Mr. Sherrod.  To me, that's unforgivable, especially considering that 1. Brown had to give up his Congressional seat to run 2. Hackett is a much better candidate 3. Brown seems like a jerk for doing it, thereby jeopardizing the senate race 4. Hackett is now disenfranchised with the entire Democratic establishment and probably won't run for anything else ever again, and 5. It's just a completely inconsiderate thing to do.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2006, 01:13:27 PM »

There probably wasn't many votes for Webb because he still is rather conservative. Of course he's still a million times better than Allen and hence has my full backing.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2006, 05:08:16 PM »

Maybe the DNC and DSCC haven't spent money on Lamont YET, but being that he is the DEMOCRAT candidate, they probably will.

The national party doesn't give a damn whether Lamont or Lieberman wins.

Plus, he's taking money from progressives that visit blogs, so they don't instead allocate their funds to people deserving of them, such as Claire McCaskill.

What the hell? That's their money. They can give it to whomever they like. Want McCaskill to have more cash? Send some of your own hard-earned dollars to her.

3. Brown seems like a jerk for doing it, thereby jeopardizing the senate race

Have you been watching the polls out of Ohio? Brown is running amazingly well. The average voter probably has no idea who Hackett is, anyway.

For the record, I never understood the anger many lefties felt toward Brown over that sad affair. He's much more progressive than Hackett... I like the guy, and he's entertaining, but now we have a genuine liberal instead of a centrist in the race.

I do hope he reconsiders his decision to leave politics, though.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2006, 09:00:22 PM »

For the record, I never understood the anger many lefties felt toward Brown over that sad affair. He's much more progressive than Hackett... I like the guy, and he's entertaining, but now we have a genuine liberal instead of a centrist in the race.

I think it comes down to one being a beltway candidate and one being an outsider bringing new blood to washington and willing to tell it like it is.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2006, 09:05:54 PM »

Maybe the DNC and DSCC haven't spent money on Lamont YET, but being that he is the DEMOCRAT candidate, they probably will.
The national party doesn't give a damn whether Lamont or Lieberman wins.

That may be true, but people are going to throw a fit if Lamont doesn't receive any funding from the national party, especially the Dailykos people.

Plus, he's taking money from progressives that visit blogs, so they don't instead allocate their funds to people deserving of them, such as Claire McCaskill.
What the hell? That's their money. They can give it to whomever they like. Want McCaskill to have more cash? Send some of your own hard-earned dollars to her.

It may be their money, but the left-wing groups promote some people specifically.  If Daily Kos decided to advertise for McCaskill for free, she would receive more funds.  That's just a fact; those people are like sheep following whatever the left-wing bloggers say.
Oh, and I have.  It's awful presumtuous of you to assume that I haven't spent any money on McCaskill's campaign.

3. Brown seems like a jerk for doing it, thereby jeopardizing the senate race
Have you been watching the polls out of Ohio? Brown is running amazingly well. The average voter probably has no idea who Hackett is, anyway.
I do hope he reconsiders his decision to leave politics, though.

That's why I said 'jeopardizing' and not 'losing'.  If the media picked up more on that issue, then maybe Brown would be lower in the polls.
Just because he's more progressive doesn't mean that he's a good person.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2006, 09:13:28 PM »

Wow, you're clueless. Please stop commenting on things you have no idea about. 

And, in case you missed it, Brown (along with Schumer and Reid) DID force Hackett out of the race.  When Brown decided that he wouldn't run, that left an opening for Hackett, which he gladly took.  When Brown changed his mind, the establishment basically forced Hackett to leave the race in favor of Mr. Sherrod.  To me, that's unforgivable, especially considering that 1. Brown had to give up his Congressional seat to run 2. Hackett is a much better candidate 3. Brown seems like a jerk for doing it, thereby jeopardizing the senate race 4. Hackett is now disenfranchised with the entire Democratic establishment and probably won't run for anything else ever again, and 5. It's just a completely inconsiderate thing to do.

No one forced Hackett out. Schumer and the DSCC made it tougher for him to raise money, but they didn't force him out.

And newsflash: Brown is going to win the OH Senate race.
Deano963

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2006, 09:33:21 PM »

That may be true, but people are going to throw a fit if Lamont doesn't receive any funding from the national party, especially the Dailykos people.

LOL.

Um....No. I read DKos and I couldn't care less if the DSCC dosen't give Lamont one red cent, and that is coming from a Lamont supporter who despises Joe Lieberman. I can gaurantee you that the vast majority of the other Kos people don't care either. You are also insane if you think the DNC has any money to spare for this race.

Lamont is worth $90 - $300 million. AT LEAST $90 million. Why on Earth would we expect the DSCC to fund him when we have limited resources and we have 7 vulnerable REPUBLICAN incumbents to focus on defeating??? Lamont can easily self-fund. Contrary to the belief of Republican wingnuts and misinformed Democrats, the DKos crowd is NOT more interested in defeating Lieberman than they are Santorum, Burns, Dewine, Allen, Talent, Corker and Chaffee (Ok, maybe a little more than Chaffee). Anyone who thinks otherwise has never spent more than 30 seconds reading the blog. As much as people hate Lieberman, there is no one who would rather see him defeated than a Rick Santorum or George Allen.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2006, 09:40:39 PM »

[1] Harold Ford, Jr.
[2] Jim Webb
[3] Jon Tester
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2006, 10:36:01 PM »

If Daily Kos decided to advertise for McCaskill for free, she would receive more funds.

Too bad the owner of the site gets to decide its content, huh?

those people are like sheep following whatever the left-wing bloggers say.

Generalize much? And, again, it is their money.

It's awful presumtuous of you to assume that I haven't spent any money on McCaskill's campaign.

Good. She's a great candidate and I hope she wins. Now shut the hell up about other people's donations, plz.

(btw, what about the many "left-wing bloggers" that have been contributing to McCaskill? Are they mindless "sheep", too?)

]That's why I said 'jeopardizing' and not 'losing'.  If the media picked up more on that issue, then maybe Brown would be lower in the polls.

You think the media should still be attacking Brown over the Hackett affair, months later? Whatever for? I can only assume that you're a DeWine supporter.

Whatever. I disagree... as does Paul Hackett:

Then in early July, Brown and Hackett met and achieved one of those rare political reconciliations that seems to be genuine. Hackett endorsed Brown warmly at a July 10 rally, and since then he has gushed about Brown on MSNBC’s Hardball, sent out fund-raising letters on his behalf, and talked him up at events across the state.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2006, 12:16:02 AM »

No votes for Webb yet? Whats up with that?

Webb is a flawed candidate, and will probably save Allen from defeat. Allen is a very lucky man to have Webb as his opponent. JMO but on this one, my opinion I think is spot on. Cheers.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2006, 12:20:33 AM »

Wow, you're clueless. Please stop commenting on things you have no idea about.

No one forced Hackett out. Schumer and the DSCC made it tougher for him to raise money, but they didn't force him out.

And newsflash: Brown is going to win the OH Senate race.

After watching the Brown Dewine debate, I think Dewine has a new lease on life. He is an even bet to win, assuming Foley does not change the plate tectonics on this one. Just my fair and balanced opinion, as always. Allen and Dewine are very lucky guys, relatively speaking. Cheers.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2006, 02:06:51 PM »

If Daily Kos decided to advertise for McCaskill for free, she would receive more funds.

Too bad the owner of the site gets to decide its content, huh?

those people are like sheep following whatever the left-wing bloggers say.

Generalize much? And, again, it is their money.

It's awful presumtuous of you to assume that I haven't spent any money on McCaskill's campaign.

Good. She's a great candidate and I hope she wins. Now shut the hell up about other people's donations, plz.

(btw, what about the many "left-wing bloggers" that have been contributing to McCaskill? Are they mindless "sheep", too?)

]That's why I said 'jeopardizing' and not 'losing'.  If the media picked up more on that issue, then maybe Brown would be lower in the polls.

You think the media should still be attacking Brown over the Hackett affair, months later? Whatever for? I can only assume that you're a DeWine supporter.

Whatever. I disagree... as does Paul Hackett:

Then in early July, Brown and Hackett met and achieved one of those rare political reconciliations that seems to be genuine. Hackett endorsed Brown warmly at a July 10 rally, and since then he has gushed about Brown on MSNBC’s Hardball, sent out fund-raising letters on his behalf, and talked him up at events across the state.

1. Um... yes?
2. Yes, I can generalize people from DailyKos.  I read it, too--I think it's left-wing and trashy--but I read it nonetheless.  I'm sure there are people who post there who don't subscribe to groupthink, but I have yet to find one.  It is their money, yes, but Kos is telling them where to spend it.
3. Um... no?  And, yes, they are sheep if they are sending money to McCaskill because the left-wing authority tells them to do so.
4. No, the media should have picked up on it when it happened, which, nationally, they haven't.  I can only assume it didn't get much press coverage up there in Ohio either.  I am not a DeWine supporter, actually, but it's only for the sake of another Senate seat in Democratic hands.
5. I'm sure that Hackett isn't at all bitter that Brown took his opportunity to represent the state of Ohio in the Senate. [/sarcasm]  Just because he says it doesn't mean he means it; I mean, have you heard George Allen?
ucscgaldamez

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2006, 06:37:07 PM »

Bob Casey Jr. and Jon Tester
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies