The Governor's Plantation: Governor Daniel Adams
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:54:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Governor's Plantation: Governor Daniel Adams
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: The Governor's Plantation: Governor Daniel Adams  (Read 16274 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2009, 04:49:23 PM »

So what do you do when it fails again?
I have a feeling it will pass, otherwise probably do what everyone accuses me of doing anyone and bring in some new voters to make sure it passes.  This legislation is supported by the majority and vital to the region, it cannot be stopped by this purely political ploy.

I highly doubt it would magically pass, actually, and I'm pretty sure that if you do blatantly truck in voters it wouldn't exactly look good for you.

The legislation may be supported by a majority but that is irrelevant; the Constitution requires that amendments have a two-thirds approval from the voters, and for a good reason you know.

I also highly doubt a legislature is "vital" to our region, as we seem to be doing fine without it. I would argue of course that we're much better off without it, but that's a debate for another day.

Also, do realize that this isn't just a political ploy, just a group of concerned Southeasterners trying to keep the others from going through with something silly.

Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2009, 04:54:11 PM »

I have a feeling it will pass, otherwise probably do what everyone accuses me of doing anyone and bring in some new voters to make sure it passes.  This legislation is supported by the majority and vital to the region, it cannot be stopped by this purely political ploy.

I highly doubt it would magically pass, actually, and I'm pretty sure that if you do blatantly truck in voters it wouldn't exactly look good for you.

The legislation may be supported by a majority but that is irrelevant; the Constitution requires that amendments have a two-thirds approval from the voters, and for a good reason you know.

I also highly doubt a legislature is "vital" to our region, as we seem to be doing fine without it. I would argue of course that we're much better off without it, but that's a debate for another day.

Also, do realize that this isn't just a political ploy, just a group of concerned Southeasterners trying to keep the others from going through with something silly.

Smiley

Let me just add that, while I disagree with BK's views of regional legislatures, I agree that one should not be presented ad nauseum to the people of a region. There is no indication that the Southeast is ready for a legislature this month. Counting on a more favorable turnout or recruits that don't know better is dirty politics, not smart policy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »

If anything, this fight over the legislature is probably as good for the region as the legislature itself would be. It's the first thing in the Dirty South in some time that people can get genuinely excited over.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2009, 07:02:42 PM »

For lack of a better location, let me put these here:

September 2007
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=62400.0

passed:
Southeast Election Law Amendment
Article II Section 2 Amendment

failed:
Article VII Section 5 Amendment

October 2007
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=63935.0

passed:
Re-initiation of Death Penalty in the Southeast (38, 65, 78 repealed from this btw)
Home for Every Child Initiative

November 2007
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=65317.0

passed:
Lower Signature Requirements for Initiatives to Appear on the Ballot Initiative
The Sound Minds Save Lives Initiative

March 2008
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=72914.0

passed:
Free Range Prison Initiative

tied:
Abortion Initiative no. 2

April 2008
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=74436.0

failed:
Abortion Initiative No. 2

September 2008/Emergency
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=84053.0

passed:
The Southeast Renewable Energy Package Initiative
One Strike Your Out Act

failed:
Ready Rescue Initiative
The Screw the Monkeys Act
Prayer in School Act
Repeal of Title IX
Don't Call the Devil Act

October 2008
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=86390.0

passed:
Article I, Section 9 Amendment
Article I, Section 10 Amendment
Dirty South Flag Act
Dirty South Wiki Update Act (lol)
Two Names Are Better Than One Act

failed:
Dirty South Capital Relocation Act

December 2008
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=90090.0

passes:
Constitutional Convention Petition

fails:
KOTBP Scholarship

ties:
Freedom of Currency Act
Capital Relocation Act

April 2009/Emergency
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=94562.0

passed:
Help the Southeast Study
Freedom of Currency
Capital Relocation

April 2009
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=95008.0

passes:
Repeal of Freedom of Currency Act
Help the Southeast Study for Serious
Repeal of the Capital Relocation Act
Spelling Correction Act

fails:
Ten Commandments Act

June 2009
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=97765.0

passes:
Traffic Photo Enforcement Ban Act
Speed Limit Modification Act

July 2009
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=99278.0

passes:
Thank You Governor Duke

fails:
Regional Legislature

August 2009
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=101214.0

passes:
Magistrate Title and Powers Amendment
Governor's Plantation Act
Why The Need for the Special Election Act?

fails:
Bailout Refusal Act
Filthy South Bill
Regional Legislature Amendment
Monument to KOTBP Act
Southeast Removal Act
Dibble's Monument Act
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2009, 08:22:43 PM »

Smiley

I wasn't able to vote last time, but now I can. So that is one more voter for it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2009, 10:25:48 PM »

Smiley

I wasn't able to vote last time, but now I can. So that is one more voter for it.

Should be interesting to see if that sparks a lawsuit over the question to which Sam Spade alluded earlier. I imagine BK wouldn't be the one to bring it though, as it would square the VP in a lawsuit against the President.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2009, 10:34:17 PM »

Smiley

Should be interesting to see if that sparks a lawsuit over the question to which Sam Spade alluded earlier. I imagine BK wouldn't be the one to bring it though, as it would square the VP in a lawsuit against the President.

Executive branch drama is always a good thing. Grin
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2009, 11:47:19 PM »

Haha, it'd be funny for me to argue bgwah in court! Tongue

Naw, but in our cabinet talks I definitely supported Josh's pardoning. Though at the time I just assumed the Presidential ability to pardon was stated in the Constitution like it is in the US. Ah. It's a bit of a tricky issue. I'm assuming someone will challenge before me anyway, though if nobody else does I guess I'll have to. D:

But yes, how many signatures do you still need anyway? Last I saw it was looking like it would wait until next month anyway. Regardless, I don't think it would pass either way. Doing the math in my head, you're still a vote short right?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2009, 08:27:24 AM »

But yes, how many signatures do you still need anyway? Last I saw it was looking like it would wait until next month anyway. Regardless, I don't think it would pass either way. Doing the math in my head, you're still a vote short right?
Depends, if DaveHawk really votes against it, which I still don't see why he would, the vote would be 9-5 so we would be one short
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2009, 12:51:31 PM »

Depends, if DaveHawk really votes against it, which I still don't see why he would, the vote would be 9-5 so we would be one short

Why wouldn't he? The only reason he didn't vote last week is because he was out of town.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2009, 01:13:34 PM »

Why wouldn't he? The only reason he didn't vote last week is because he was out of town.
I meant I see no reason why he would oppose although I didn't check how he voted last time
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2009, 10:03:42 PM »

I think it is worth noting that Sam Spade voted against it, but then signed the petition for the emergency election. Make of that what you will, though.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2009, 05:18:09 PM »

I meant I see no reason why he would oppose although I didn't check how he voted last time

He voted against it last time.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2009, 08:38:31 PM »

I urge all Dirty Southerners to vote in the initiative elections.

Of especial import are the Two Names are Better than One Act, to formally codify our region's better name, and the Killing Two Birds With One Stone Act, to eliminate our deficit. A favorable vote on these would greatly benefit our region.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2009, 08:39:48 PM »

And with a little hope, you can completely destroy your regions economy! Smiley

I mean, you've attempted it plenty of times in the past, you're bound to get something through eventually.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2009, 09:05:27 PM »

Of especial import are ... and the Killing Two Birds With One Stone Act, to eliminate our deficit. A favorable vote on these would greatly benefit our region.

I'm sorry, Governor, is this a joke?

How in the Lord would selling tickets to a huge money bonfire raise nearly enough to even have our region break even with the money we would be burning?

Even if we were only burning the ~$20 billion in direct financial aid to the region under Section IV of the Atlasian Relief and Recovery Act, I fail to see how we'd nearly break even here. The largest stadium in the Southeast is the Darrell K Royal Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin, TX; it seats 100,119. Just to break even we'd have to sell the seats for $200,000 each. Especially in this economic downturn I doubt more than a dozen of those seats would actually get sold. Note also that SPC's bill doesn't allow for money to be raised from this in any other way.

Seriously, why not just, *gasp* use the money to get rid of the damn deficit! Anyone who supports this bill has no grasp of basic economics and is directly aiding one of the most damaging things I have ever seen anyone attempt in Atlasia. I urge any sane human being to vote against this garbage.

Also the initiative says it will burn all the money from the stimulus act, even though only Section 4's money could even hypothetically be spent that way (on a weak argument, but still). There is no way you can construe "burning money in a big pile" as constructing hospitals (section 2I of ARRA), repaving old roads (section 2N), or aiding school districts (4B), and if this sad excuse for legislation passes I will gladly take it to court.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2009, 09:12:08 PM »

Of especial import are ... and the Killing Two Birds With One Stone Act, to eliminate our deficit. A favorable vote on these would greatly benefit our region.

How in the Lord would selling tickets to a huge money bonfire raise nearly enough to even have our region break even with the money we would be burning?

Even if we were only burning the ~$20 billion in direct financial aid to the region under Section IV of the Atlasian Relief and Recovery Act, I fail to see how we'd nearly break even here. The largest stadium in the Southeast is the Darrell K Royal Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin, TX; it seats 100,119. Just to break even we'd have to sell the seats for $200,000 each. Especially in this economic downturn I doubt more than a dozen of those seats would actually get sold. Note also that SPC's bill doesn't allow for money to be raised from this in any other way.

Seriously, why not just, *gasp* use the money to get rid of the damn deficit! Anyone who supports this bill has no grasp of basic economics and is directly aiding one of the most damaging things I have ever seen anyone attempt in Atlasia. I urge any sane human being to vote against this garbage.

Also the initiative says it will burn all the money from the stimulus act, even though only Section 4's money could even hypothetically be spent that way (on a weak argument, but still). There is no way you can construe "burning money in a big pile" as constructing hospitals (section 2I of ARRA), repaving old roads (section 2N), or aiding school districts (4B), and if this sad excuse for legislation passes I will gladly take it to court.

I have said for weeks are regions should accept there money from the stimulus. If this passes your court case has my full. Of course if DWTL doesn't like this, he can take his anger and put up his a** sidewise.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2009, 02:19:24 AM »

Of especial import are the Two Names are Better than One Act, to formally codify our region's better name, and the Killing Two Birds With One Stone Act, to eliminate our deficit. A favorable vote on these would greatly benefit our region.

Wrong and wrong.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2009, 09:17:06 AM »

I have said for weeks are regions should accept there money from the stimulus. If this passes your court case has my full. Of course if DWTL doesn't like this, he can take his anger and put up his a** sidewise.

Just to give an advance legal opinion, I think that burning the money is illegal anyways. As I recall Atlasia basically inherited existing US law when created. If that's the case...

Title 18, Section 333 of the United States code states:

"Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both."

In which passing the initiative would require our executive officials to order state employees to commit a federal crime. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2009, 12:57:52 PM »

The Southeastern government will very gladly go to court to defend the will of its citizens.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »

The Southeastern government will very gladly go to court to defend the will of its citizens.

Of course, you didn't answer a damn thing in relation to the actual issue.

Not that I'm surprised.

Just to give an advance legal opinion, I think that burning the money is illegal anyways. As I recall Atlasia basically inherited existing US law when created. If that's the case...

Title 18, Section 333 of the United States code states:

"Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both."

In which passing the initiative would require our executive officials to order state employees to commit a federal crime. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I would agree with you, but you'd probably be able to skirt that. We seem to have a selective attitude towards what we inherit and what we don't, and if it's not on the books here, it'll be hard to rule on in court I'd think.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2009, 08:42:02 PM »

What a joke Governor.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2009, 04:14:36 PM »

Indeed. You'd think he'd want to do something worthwhile with that money. At the very least he could support giving it back to the taxpaying citizens of the region, or better yet give it to me to build a Dark Tower that would suitably represent my evil greatness.

But no, we literally have to destroy the money that hardworking citizens were forced to pay, making them paying in the first place completely and utterly pointless. Oh, and it doesn't stop there - then he agrees that they'll be willing to spend even more of their hard earned money to see the money that they trusted their government would do something reasonable with. The end result will inevitably be that both the federal and regional governments as well as the citizens will have less money.

The idea is so insane that it goes beyond "bat s**t crazy". To describe just how insane someone would have to support this I feel that we need to invent a new term - I vote of "goat feces demented".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2009, 07:05:08 PM »

Indeed. You'd think he'd want to do something worthwhile with that money. At the very least he could support giving it back to the taxpaying citizens of the region, or better yet give it to me to build a Dark Tower that would suitably represent my evil greatness.
But no, we literally have to destroy the money that hardworking citizens were forced to pay, making them paying in the first place completely and utterly pointless. Oh, and it doesn't stop there - then he agrees that they'll be willing to spend even more of their hard earned money to see the money that they trusted their government would do something reasonable with. The end result will inevitably be that both the federal and regional governments as well as the citizens will have less money.

The idea is so insane that it goes beyond "bat s**t crazy". To describe just how insane someone would have to support this I feel that we need to invent a new term - I vote of "goat feces demented".

Hella yes. Goat feces demented indeed.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2009, 07:13:15 PM »

Because you done so much for the game of Atlasia.  Oh yeah, that's right you've never been elected as much as dog catcher.  Daniel Adams is a great governor that represents his regions beliefs and for which he will be handsomely rewarded with another term
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies