Gubernatorial Amendment (Amendment at Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 04:00:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Gubernatorial Amendment (Amendment at Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Gubernatorial Amendment (Amendment at Vote)  (Read 21167 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2008, 05:39:55 PM »

Abstain
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2008, 07:10:48 PM »

Aye
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2008, 12:10:49 PM »

Nay, it should be the vote of the majority of the regions. It should not turn on how many are sitting.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2008, 12:14:38 PM »

I'm not sure -
Exclusive of any law or regulation governing the rules for the proceedings of the Senate, over which the Senate shall have exclusive jurisdiction, for any Bill or Resolution to become law, it shall first be passed by the Senate in accordance with existing law
This is the Constitution we're amending here - this is, in fact the base text you're referring to with the phrase "existing law". Besides, I'm not even sure if this were to mean before Presidential signature or after. (The later part of your amendment implies before, but it's not clear from the language used here.) Besides, my version has the Governors acting at the same time as the President, thus not slowing up the process (in theory. In practice, of course, it would still do so as Presidents frequently sign quite early within their week. Then again, Governors might also declare their approval quite quickly if notified.) I'm also not happy with the PPT being *required* to notify Governors enshrined in the Constitutional text. I've been notifying presidents by pm since I took office, but I'm pretty sure that hasn't always been the case - the phrase with which I closed votes in the thread ("it is presented to the President for his signature or veto") has always been considered sufficient.
Plus, the language I'm using is trying to stick to traditional Atlasian constitutional language. Tongue

As soon as the senate passes something, it goes to the council of governors. If they don't veto it, the president can sign the bill or not. I don't see what in my language slows down what the president is doing.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2008, 12:22:44 PM »

I'm not sure -
Exclusive of any law or regulation governing the rules for the proceedings of the Senate, over which the Senate shall have exclusive jurisdiction, for any Bill or Resolution to become law, it shall first be passed by the Senate in accordance with existing law
This is the Constitution we're amending here - this is, in fact the base text you're referring to with the phrase "existing law". Besides, I'm not even sure if this were to mean before Presidential signature or after. (The later part of your amendment implies before, but it's not clear from the language used here.) Besides, my version has the Governors acting at the same time as the President, thus not slowing up the process (in theory. In practice, of course, it would still do so as Presidents frequently sign quite early within their week. Then again, Governors might also declare their approval quite quickly if notified.) I'm also not happy with the PPT being *required* to notify Governors enshrined in the Constitutional text. I've been notifying presidents by pm since I took office, but I'm pretty sure that hasn't always been the case - the phrase with which I closed votes in the thread ("it is presented to the President for his signature or veto") has always been considered sufficient.
Plus, the language I'm using is trying to stick to traditional Atlasian constitutional language. Tongue

As soon as the senate passes something, it goes to the council of governors. If they don't veto it, the president can sign the bill or not. I don't see what in my language slows down what the president is doing.
He has to wait for the council of governors in your version. In my version, he can sign while the Governors are still voting - if they end up vetoing it, his signature is simply irrelevant.

On the amendment: Nay.

Vote count:

Aye 3 (PiT, Jas, Happy)
Nay 2 (Torie, Lewis)
abstain (voted) 1 (Dwtl)
yet to vote 3 (Al, Andrew, Sensei)
absent 1 (Bacon)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2008, 07:22:09 PM »

nay
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2008, 02:09:10 PM »

nay
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2008, 04:09:38 PM »

Vote count:

Aye 3 (PiT, Jas, Happy)
Nay 4 (Torie, Lewis, Al, Bacon)
abstain (voted) 1 (Dwtl)
yet to vote 2 (Andrew, Sensei)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2008, 05:40:34 PM »

nay
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2008, 05:42:12 PM »

This amendment has failed.

The vote is on the amendment. Please vote aye, nay or abstain:

I propose amending Lewis' language as follows:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nay.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2008, 05:48:01 PM »

Nay.

Nay, it should be the vote of the majority of the regions. It should not turn on how many are sitting.

If a region has no sitting Governor, could there be a reasonable method instituted by which to choose a temporary representative on the Council? I was thinking head of judiciary, except the Pacific & Midwest have none. Perhaps each region should have one citizen apply to be an "official federal stand-in." Grin
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2008, 05:48:38 PM »

Nay.

If a region has no sitting Governor, could there be a reasonable method instituted by which to choose a temporary representative on the Council? I was thinking head of judiciary, except the Pacific & Midwest have none. Perhaps each region should have one citizen apply to be an "official federal stand-in." Grin

That's very rare.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2008, 05:50:54 PM »

Nay.

That's very rare.

It's rare, but if addressing the grievance can get the quorum amendment passed, then I might as well address it.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2008, 06:41:45 PM »

no
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2008, 05:06:44 PM »

Vote count:

Aye 0
Nay 3 (Lewis, PiT, Sensei)
yet to vote 7 (everybody)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2008, 05:14:53 PM »

nay
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2008, 05:19:37 PM »

Not really decided but in the interest of time...

Nay
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2008, 08:08:23 PM »

nay
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2008, 10:00:26 PM »

Nay
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2008, 12:14:05 PM »

The amendment has failed.

Vote count
Aye 0
Nay 7 (everybody)
did not vote 3 (Torie, Al, Jas)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2008, 07:16:55 PM »

Man, I got a goose egg! 

Look, having a quorum based on the number of regions will encourage the regions to have active sitting governors, rather than lumps. If they are lumps, then the governors won't be slowing the Senate down. Three votes to veto should be required at all times if we have five regions.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2008, 07:30:36 PM »

All Governors are automatically part of this, so three votes to veto would be required at all times, unless there are two or more vacancies at once. Perhaps we should set a strictly enforced limit on the time they can take to prevent slowdowns?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2008, 04:27:13 AM »

"For any Bill or Resolution to pass the Senate, it shall have gained a majority in a valid vote. Before the Bill or Resolution becomes Law, it shall be presented to the Council of Governors and then to the President of the Republic of Atlasia, unless it be concerning the rules for the proceedings of the Senate. If both approve, the President shall sign it, and it shall become Law. If the President does not approve, he shall return the Bill with his objections to the Senate, and it shall not become Law. If the Council of Governors does not approve, they shall return the Bill with their objections to the Senate, and it shall not become Law. Upon reconsidering the Bill, if the Senate shall approve the legislation by two-thirds of its number, it shall become Law. If a Bill is not returned to the Senate by the President within seven days after it shall have been presented to him, it shall become Law regardless. " [note: As the Council of Governors are not required to sign the bill if they approve, the fact that a week of inaction by them is the same thing as consent goes without saying. I hope. If people find this too unclear please say so.]

Yeah, I think the period for the Council to set out their objections should be made explicit.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2008, 06:05:03 AM »

Wow, my text doesn't *quite* say what I remember it as saying.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2008, 12:56:21 PM »

Placeholder. I want to say something, tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies