Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:44:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 69211 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: February 04, 2019, 01:36:07 PM »

Fairfax supporters are alleging that Northam is behind the accusations being made public:

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #476 on: February 04, 2019, 01:37:27 PM »

Let's get three two plus two equals four facts straight here. First, by any reasonable assessment , that is someone not looking at this through the lens of a complete political hack, the allegations against Kavanaugh were vastly more credible then this one currently appears. It's not an issue of Party politics, just simply not being ignorant hack trying to prove a non-existent point. We can go right down the list of the multiple additional accusers against Cavanaugh whom Grassley suppress from testifying, the best friend who could supposedly verify who was in the room, to the calendar about drinking with squi, etc etc. Even if you don't believe such allegations,  any non hack  absolutely has to concede that this  clean  is  nowhere near  as  strong  as a simple matter of fact. If you truly believe that this account, such as it is, is truly equivalent to that presented against Cavanaugh, you are either ignorant or a complete right-wing hack rather than remotely impartial.

Secondly, let's get it straight here. If and I repeat if, these allegations against Fairfax ever grow to being even close to his credible as those against Kavanaugh, 90 to 95 + percent of Democrats will call for him to step aside. Sorry, but while Democrats may not be perfect they are a million times more ready to walk the walk on this stuff than you because we actually believe in this stuff. Franken, Governor Northam, Conyers, reassessing Bill Clinton. As much as you want to just project and say it's all politics and just going after our guy rather than any actual principle. You are the party that openly embraced and even defended as your candidate for president a guy who has over 30 women who have publicly come forward to accuse him of sexual assault, who has bragged about just walk him to women and grab them by the pussy and getting away with it because he's famous, and even brag on national TV about barging into the dressing room of beauty pageants he was in charge of to Ogle half naked and naked women and teenagers because he could get away with it. You were the party that decided allegations of sexual misconduct against prominent Republican politicians are presumed to be hit jobs by democrats and the liberal media and defend them accordingly. You are the folks that have pretty much disparage the whole me-too movement as feminist over-reach. You are the ones that let your defense of overwhelming evidence of trump being a serial poster boy for the me-too movement has let you into a recurring pattern of deny deny minimize deny. And then claimed yourself so you can not feel Solace, both sides are equally to blame and it's all politics yada yada yada. Don't ever ever look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself both sides do it and are just the same. You are just plain factually wrong.

I guess that bleeds into my third point, but the third fact here is the reaction of rape apologist posts throughout this thread make it so clear how the incel neckbeard internet Warrior demographic has become an actual tangible part of the Republican coalition. Though to be fair the right-wing in cell crowd is always been Prime source of the atlas right

It is simply not true at all that Kavanuagh's accusers were more credible. WE NEVER EVEN ESTABLISHED THEY KNEW EACH OTHER.

On the other hand, we know for a fact that tyson and fairfax were in the same hotel room at the 2004 dnc.

That alone makes this case more compelling, imo. Nevertheless, zero corroboration means I cannot arrive at the conclusion that he assaulted her.

But the bigger point is this: what the hell happened to you people and your "believe all women" crap?

As someone who put it earlier, all women deserve to be heard., glad you outright believe it's crap though

So yeah, I said that one can't buy this as being equally credible unless someone is a complete political hack. Enter Marty stage right.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #477 on: February 04, 2019, 01:38:32 PM »

Oh my God. Watching fuzzy and katharina twist themselves into knots having to create hypotheticals because Democrats are actually walking the walk when one of their own commits misconduct they criticized Republicans for... Beautiful

A clean sweep of the bronz medals in mental gymnastics indeed.

/thread
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #478 on: February 04, 2019, 01:38:53 PM »

Fairfax supporters are alleging that Northam is behind the accusations being made public:

Huh, very interesting. If this is the case, then Northam is even worse than I thought, but I was under the impression that the two had a great relationship.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #479 on: February 04, 2019, 01:46:33 PM »

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #480 on: February 04, 2019, 01:46:46 PM »

Let's get three two plus two equals four facts straight here. First, by any reasonable assessment , that is someone not looking at this through the lens of a complete political hack, the allegations against Kavanaugh were vastly more credible then this one currently appears. It's not an issue of Party politics, just simply not being ignorant hack trying to prove a non-existent point. We can go right down the list of the multiple additional accusers against Cavanaugh whom Grassley suppress from testifying, the best friend who could supposedly verify who was in the room, to the calendar about drinking with squi, etc etc. Even if you don't believe such allegations,  any non hack  absolutely has to concede that this  clean  is  nowhere near  as  strong  as a simple matter of fact. If you truly believe that this account, such as it is, is truly equivalent to that presented against Cavanaugh, you are either ignorant or a complete right-wing hack rather than remotely impartial.

Secondly, let's get it straight here. If and I repeat if, these allegations against Fairfax ever grow to being even close to his credible as those against Kavanaugh, 90 to 95 + percent of Democrats will call for him to step aside. Sorry, but while Democrats may not be perfect they are a million times more ready to walk the walk on this stuff than you because we actually believe in this stuff. Franken, Governor Northam, Conyers, reassessing Bill Clinton. As much as you want to just project and say it's all politics and just going after our guy rather than any actual principle. You are the party that openly embraced and even defended as your candidate for president a guy who has over 30 women who have publicly come forward to accuse him of sexual assault, who has bragged about just walk him to women and grab them by the pussy and getting away with it because he's famous, and even brag on national TV about barging into the dressing room of beauty pageants he was in charge of to Ogle half naked and naked women and teenagers because he could get away with it. You were the party that decided allegations of sexual misconduct against prominent Republican politicians are presumed to be hit jobs by democrats and the liberal media and defend them accordingly. You are the folks that have pretty much disparage the whole me-too movement as feminist over-reach. You are the ones that let your defense of overwhelming evidence of trump being a serial poster boy for the me-too movement has let you into a recurring pattern of deny deny minimize deny. And then claimed yourself so you can not feel Solace, both sides are equally to blame and it's all politics yada yada yada. Don't ever ever look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself both sides do it and are just the same. You are just plain factually wrong.

I guess that bleeds into my third point, but the third fact here is the reaction of rape apologist posts throughout this thread make it so clear how the incel neckbeard internet Warrior demographic has become an actual tangible part of the Republican coalition. Though to be fair the right-wing in cell crowd is always been Prime source of the atlas right

It is simply not true at all that Kavanuagh's accusers were more credible. WE NEVER EVEN ESTABLISHED THEY KNEW EACH OTHER.

On the other hand, we know for a fact that tyson and fairfax were in the same hotel room at the 2004 dnc.

That alone makes this case more compelling, imo. Nevertheless, zero corroboration means I cannot arrive at the conclusion that he assaulted her.

But the bigger point is this: what the hell happened to you people and your "believe all women" crap?

As someone who put it earlier, all women deserve to be heard., glad you outright believe it's crap though

So yeah, I said that one can't buy this as being equally credible unless someone is a complete political hack. Enter Marty stage right.

Considering how much of a hack you are, how is your dismissal of anyone disagreeing with your hack views credible? So if 2 liars come out today with no evidence that Fairfax raped them, they are now just as credible as the liars against Kavanaugh because 3 = 3? Thats a stupid argument.

To dust off another dumb dem argument from last fall "Why would she lie" about Fairfax? Checkmate.

Yes, I know Badger "Dem good Pub bad therefore false equivalency derp derp".
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #481 on: February 04, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #482 on: February 04, 2019, 01:49:23 PM »

This isn't a Mueller thread.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #483 on: February 04, 2019, 01:52:03 PM »

The key difference is that Blasey Ford told a therapist about the attack years before Kavanaugh even was nominated for the court. Besides that when papers decide not to run a story it is usually for a good reason.

But Republicans need to remember that they have to get rid of the state Attorney General too to push the Republican Speaker of the House of Delegates into the Governor's seat.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #484 on: February 04, 2019, 01:52:47 PM »

So what scandals does this Herring guy have?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #485 on: February 04, 2019, 01:52:52 PM »

Let me get this straight:

- Northam sticks his foot in his mouth with an outrageous quote about late term abortion
- In retaliation, his med school classmates leak his racist yearbook photo
- In response, Fairfax calls on Northam to resign
- In retaliation, Northam leaks Fairfax's sexual assault accusation

If this is how it really went down, it's the biggest comedy of errors since the life of Anthony Weiner
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #486 on: February 04, 2019, 01:53:06 PM »

Seriously, Kavanaugh has very little to do with this. Just base this case off of the facts present. If anything, this case is closer to the Ellison one than the Kavanaugh one, anyway.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #487 on: February 04, 2019, 01:53:13 PM »

The key difference is that Blasey Ford told a therapist about the attack years before Kavanaugh even was nominated for the court. Besides that when papers decide not to run a story it is usually for a good reason.

Vanessa Tyson has described herself as a survivor since 2005 when she began a symposium on sexual violence.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #488 on: February 04, 2019, 01:53:28 PM »

Learn to embed tweets or delete your account. Enough with the screenshot BS.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #489 on: February 04, 2019, 01:58:39 PM »

Vanessa Tyson has described herself as a survivor since 2005 when she began a symposium on sexual violence.

That's not good enough to run a story without corroboration or at least other incidents of similar behavior compare to.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #490 on: February 04, 2019, 02:01:47 PM »

Considering how much of a hack you are, how is your dismissal of anyone disagreeing with your hack views credible? So if 2 liars come out today with no evidence that Fairfax raped them, they are now just as credible as the liars against Kavanaugh because 3 = 3? Thats a stupid argument.

To dust off another dumb dem argument from last fall "Why would she lie" about Fairfax? Checkmate.

Yes, I know Badger "Dem good Pub bad therefore false equivalency derp derp".

That's... Not.. No. That's not remotely anything close to what I said.

What planet are you from?

Again, on paper the allegations against Cavanaugh were markedly more serious than this. I'm not disregarding these yet, and if they grow to as much credibility is those against camera I and many others on the left will be among the first to tell Fairfax you got to go. That's the difference
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #491 on: February 04, 2019, 02:04:05 PM »

That's not good enough to run a story without corroboration or at least other incidents of similar behavior compare to.

It is, however, somewhat telling.

I'd really like to hear what Tyson has to say here.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #492 on: February 04, 2019, 02:06:41 PM »

WaPo has clarified that "can't confirm" doesn't mean they're skeptical, just that they...can't confirm.

The accusations against Fairfax are really, really serious (that he forced this woman to perform oral sex by pushing her head down). If true, he obviously shouldn't be in power. We should have an open mind and see where this goes.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #493 on: February 04, 2019, 02:13:17 PM »

If Fairfax resigns and Northam doesn't, who becomes Lt. Gov? The AG? A special election? Northam appoints a new Lt.?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #494 on: February 04, 2019, 02:15:00 PM »

Oh my God. Watching fuzzy and katharina twist themselves into knots having to create hypotheticals because Democrats are actually walking the walk when one of their own commits misconduct they criticized Republicans for... Beautiful

Here comes Badger again, showing himself as the staunch liberal Democrat that he is. You haven't bothered to answer the question either.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #495 on: February 04, 2019, 02:17:12 PM »

The difference is that Dr. Ford's attempted rape allegations were extremely credible and more likely than not true, as were a second woman's (Deborah Ramirez was her name IIRC) sexual assault allegations against Kavanaugh.  There's a big difference between saying a would-be rapist facing extremely credible allegations of both attempted rape and sexual assault does not belong on the Supreme Court and making up false allegations to try to smear a political opponent.

Many of Dr. Ford's allegations were unfounded or were discredited, to say nothing of the holes in the allegations made by both Deborah Ramirez and Julie Swetnick, especially Swetnick.

Well founded allegations versus non credible allegations art related to Party politics. You really are a hack.

My views over the Kavanaugh hearings have changed over the past few months. While I still think that Trump should have pulled his nomination and put forth Kethledge or Hardiman in Kavanaugh's place, I also believe that there was a serious rush to judgment in the matter.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #496 on: February 04, 2019, 02:21:21 PM »

Does this give Northam more of a lifeline? I suspect alleged sexual assault is juicier than a racist photo, and it might cause some dems to pause in trying to get him out until they can figure out what is going on( to paraphrase a line from Trump)

I wonder when and if we'll see the first national dem weigh in on this matter. But rightly or wrongly (and I lean towards wrongly if there is no proof), this has probably already made Fairfax a bit toxic.  There may not be enough supporting evidence to force him out here. But unless he can prove his innocence conclusively with texts or some such, he'll probably always be kept at arms length by the national party, with no one actively seeking his endorsement, and likely destroying any chance he had of further advancement.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #497 on: February 04, 2019, 02:23:39 PM »

Fairfax statement looks bad now. He should have chosen other words, without reference to WaPo.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #498 on: February 04, 2019, 02:24:19 PM »

Sorry so just to be clear if it is uncorroborated against Fairfax it’s a non-story but if it’s uncorroborated against Kavanaugh we all get to call him a rapist and destroy his life, right?

Where "uncorroborated" = documented and described years before to others, who documented the conversations, and "destroy his life" = give him a lifetime seat to the Supreme Court on an almost party-line vote despite rampant perjury... cry me a river, Uncle Sam.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #499 on: February 04, 2019, 02:27:39 PM »

If Fairfax resigns and Northam doesn't, who becomes Lt. Gov? The AG? A special election? Northam appoints a new Lt.?

The governor can appoint a new officeholder as I read it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Virginia Constitution, Article V, Section 7
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies