Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 03:41:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 69911 times)
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: February 06, 2019, 12:55:49 PM »

Obviously Herring should not resign.

This is how you stop a scandal before it happens. Admit to it and apologize for what you did.

This isn't as bad as Northam's and he's handling it way better. If Northam hadn't bungled his response I wouldn't have supported him resigning.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #751 on: February 06, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »

Dont know how believable this is, but Ill still post it:

Flyersfan232

« Reply #752 on: February 06, 2019, 12:57:48 PM »

Before the end of the month, I'm going to end up as the Governor of Virginia.
Till a scandal comes out about u.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #753 on: February 06, 2019, 12:58:26 PM »

Not happy about this, but this response is much better than Northam's. Assuming he doesn't threaten to show reporters his Michael Jackson or claim that a victim was "very interested" in him in the next 48 hours, I think he can stay. Preempting any photos being released and being 19 instead of 25 also makes a big difference for me.
Oh, that’s where you draw the line?  You were calling for Northam to resign as soon as the news broke about him.  Oh yeah...as long as there’s no picture... Roll Eyes

Whatever you need to feel morally justified, honey.

Yes, because that picture was under his name in a yearbook and featured someone in a KKK hood. Degree matters. I also don't mean that there not being a picture helps his case, but that him choosing to come public without being forced to is evidence of growth.
Um...the gov is being called to resign for being in blackface at a party and the lt gov is potentially compromised.  Herring is next in line.  Pretty sure he felt forced to admit this.

There's a pretty big difference between a 19-year old dressing up as a rapper at a party and a med school grad posing as/with someone dressed as a KKK member for a photo they're putting in their yearbook.
So what?  Black face is never acceptable.  Stop trying to blur the lines of racism to save your own pride.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #754 on: February 06, 2019, 12:59:06 PM »

Pretty sure no one is going to resign. It looks like all three are just going to ride out the storm.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #755 on: February 06, 2019, 12:59:10 PM »

Before the end of the month, I'm going to end up as the Governor of Virginia.
Till a scandal comes out about u.
Carl fortunately deleted that thread.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #756 on: February 06, 2019, 12:59:41 PM »

It's like the VA Dems are trying to keep the Republicans in control of the State Senate.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #757 on: February 06, 2019, 01:00:16 PM »

You literally took this from a Snopes entry saying that this is not Hillary and Bill, so I'm not sure what the purpose of this is.
There was no point. I just wanted to proliferate the picture.

Ya got bronz to fall for it, so congrats on that achievement.  Next, try taking candy from a baby.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #758 on: February 06, 2019, 01:00:31 PM »

I guess those Fairfax 2020 threads will go the way of the Jim Justice 2020 threads now.

I don't know that I've ever seen a state party damage it's "brand" so severely, and at a more critical time than Virginia's Democrats just have.

I'm not sure what's critical about the current time.

Im still loling at people thinking this will affect the VA democrats

Air Claire still lost despite Eric Greiteins and half the Missouri statewide elected officials resigning.

From afar, Virginia's Democrats look like a group of folks who are incompetent and can't get their act together.  Now that's an unfair assessment of Virginia's Democratic Party (which is heads and tails better than Florida's), but  this IS a critical time.  The Democrats are on the move in VA trying to take back the entire legislature, and, now, the revelations that their top two (2) state elected officials are exposed as jackasses.

Air Claire lost because of demographic trends beyond her control. 
and herring jinx’s it
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #759 on: February 06, 2019, 01:00:52 PM »

Not happy about this, but this response is much better than Northam's. Assuming he doesn't threaten to show reporters his Michael Jackson or claim that a victim was "very interested" in him in the next 48 hours, I think he can stay. Preempting any photos being released and being 19 instead of 25 also makes a big difference for me.
Oh, that’s where you draw the line?  You were calling for Northam to resign as soon as the news broke about him.  Oh yeah...as long as there’s no picture... Roll Eyes

Yes, because that picture was under his name in a yearbook and featured someone in a KKK hood. Degree matters. I also don't mean that there not being a picture helps his case, but that him choosing to come public without being forced to is evidence of growth.
Um...the gov is being called to resign for being in blackface at a party and the lt gov is potentially compromised.  Herring is next in line.  Pretty sure he felt forced to admit this.

There's a pretty big difference between a 19-year old dressing up as a rapper at a party and a med school grad posing as/with someone dressed as a KKK member for a photo they're putting in their yearbook.
So what?  Black face is never acceptable.  Stop trying to blur the lines of racism to save your own pride.

It's not acceptable, but it's not worth of resignation almost 40 years later. Northam's case was far worse because of the KKK element.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #760 on: February 06, 2019, 01:01:53 PM »

Somewhere, Tom Periello is sitting, sipping his tea, basking himself in schadenfreude.
No he is destroying proof any thing scandalous.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #761 on: February 06, 2019, 01:03:32 PM »

Oh, that’s where you draw the line?  You were calling for Northam to resign as soon as the news broke about him.  Oh yeah...as long as there’s no picture... Roll Eyes

The only reason he came out was because he was scared that someone could obtain this information, so in order for him to look like he has a spine, he did this.
There is currently no evidence that the incident in question happened except Herring's word. Choosing to go public is evidence that you respect the consequences of your actions and have some semblance of legitimate concern for the people effected. It's completely possible that nothing would have ever come of this if he didn't say anything.

I also don't really understand claims of a political-motivated double standard here. It's looking like Northam's not going anywhere, so it's likely the succession issue will never matter. And even if it did, I would be completely comfortable with an new AG appointee ascending to the governorship. No Republican legislator is ever going to be promoted to governor of Virginia, and my opinions about who should and shouldn't resign isn't going to change that.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #762 on: February 06, 2019, 01:05:03 PM »

Herring won't resign. Handling this good, and has support of VA Black Caucus.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #763 on: February 06, 2019, 01:05:25 PM »

Herring called for Northam to resign. He’s a hypocrite. Furthermore Herring didn’t come clean about his blackface incident until he became a serious contender for VA Gov in the midst of Governor Blackface Klansman and Lieutenant Governor Acting Guilty getting scrutinized by the national media.

Virginia sucks.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #764 on: February 06, 2019, 01:08:07 PM »

It's not acceptable, but it's not worth of resignation almost 40 years later. Northam's case was far worse because of the KKK element.
It really amazes me that you have this ultra nuanced understanding of racism and what is career-endangering and what isn’t...and it just so happens to fall right between making a rightful scapegoat sacrifice to save your moral highground and potentially letting a Republican take over.  How convenient and lucky for you!

None of them should resign (save Fairfax should his allegations become corroborated).  Having Republicans in control will be worse for black Virginians.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #765 on: February 06, 2019, 01:09:16 PM »

Anyway Herring's situation is still better

It was to dress up as a rapper and not just directly make fun of black people
It was a party

He was 19 vs 24(this is a huge difference for me)

Northam kept this in his yearbook

Northam may have been in a KKK hood.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #766 on: February 06, 2019, 01:14:17 PM »

I don't see how Fairfax can be allowed to stay on. His behavior has been completely unacceptable.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #767 on: February 06, 2019, 01:16:42 PM »

It really amazes me that you have this ultra nuanced understanding of racism and what is career-endangering and what isn’t...and it just so happens to fall right between making a rightful scapegoat sacrifice to save your moral highground and potentially letting a Republican take over.  How convenient and lucky for you!

None of them should resign (save Fairfax should his allegations become corroborated).  Having Republicans in control will be worse for black Virginians.

There is no threat of Kirk Cox becoming governor. If all three of them resigned, in any order, there would be plenty an opportunity to appoint a new AG who would wind up governor.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #768 on: February 06, 2019, 01:16:56 PM »

Who hasn't gone blackface? Come on, people, let's be real here...
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #769 on: February 06, 2019, 01:19:11 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2019, 02:43:09 PM by Associate Justice PiT »

I hope there is a recording of this. Fairfax has got to go.

No, not at all. This was investigated by an impartial body who determined that the story she told wasn't true. So she then went to a right wing site eager to take down the statewide Democrats in Virginia. Fairfax should slap her with a lawsuit for libel and defamation.
BELIEVE ALL WOMUHN

I've been against the MeToo crap since it appeared in the form of Obama's campus rape kangaroo kourts. If you were raped, go to the police. This woman sucked a guy's d*** in 2004 and now she's screaming rape to a right wing propaganda site to try and destroy him.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #770 on: February 06, 2019, 01:19:24 PM »

Dont know how believable this is, but Ill still post it:

He's facing the prospect of unemployment, and public denials/loyalty is a skill/quality that will be useful to another employer.

(Not a criticism of your post. You admit it up front.)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #771 on: February 06, 2019, 01:22:05 PM »

People need to get out of their New York and California bubbles where only very progressive actors like Ted Danson are permitted to do it and realize that in the rest of America, the commoners are the ones who have to put on a show.

Speaking of New York bubbles - and to answer your question - probably Donald Trump. Probably.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #772 on: February 06, 2019, 01:29:33 PM »

People need to get out of their New York and California bubbles where only very progressive actors like Ted Danson are permitted to do it and realize that in the rest of America, the commoners are the ones who have to put on a show.

Speaking of New York bubbles - and to answer your question - probably Donald Trump. Probably.
Purple heart
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #773 on: February 06, 2019, 01:33:21 PM »

At least Herring has a proper apology. I don't think you can handle it much better than this so if anyone might survive it'll be him.

Also feels like there's a difference in severity between wearing blackface to dress up as a rapper (which is still stupid and wrongheaded) and wearing a minstrel outfit while posing next to someone in KKK getup.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #774 on: February 06, 2019, 01:33:50 PM »

It really amazes me that you have this ultra nuanced understanding of racism and what is career-endangering and what isn’t...and it just so happens to fall right between making a rightful scapegoat sacrifice to save your moral highground and potentially letting a Republican take over.  How convenient and lucky for you!

None of them should resign (save Fairfax should his allegations become corroborated).  Having Republicans in control will be worse for black Virginians.

Yet we just had a group of morons in multiple threads saying how Democrats would never do such a thing because they have morals and our right-wing posters were just projecting what they would do. I won't call those posters hypocrites since they have not explicitly commented, but a larger group of Democrats than them is already backpedaling here when the Republicans went from a 0% chance of taking control to a 0.1% chance.

Agree that Northam and Herring have no reason to even offer a resignation. Hillary, Kamala, Bernie and the Virginia House delegation really put themselves in a bind with their idiotic statements in the immediate aftermath. Should've spent that energy on the work of an actually incompetent criminal like Fairfax.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies