European Football Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:39:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European Football Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Author Topic: European Football Thread  (Read 48698 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: May 29, 2009, 01:04:15 PM »

5)Barcelona scored 32 goals on her way to the top, a record for a European champion. The previous best was Manchester United from 1999 (29 goals). But United played just 11 games instead of Barca's 13, so they still have the best average (2,63 against 2,46 for Barcelona). 
This is "best average" for "champions league" days only, I presume?
Real Madrid scored 20 goals in 7 matches on the road to becoming the first ever European Champions (just semi-randomly checking the first ever year), which is a higher average.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #276 on: May 29, 2009, 02:59:39 PM »

5)Barcelona scored 32 goals on her way to the top, a record for a European champion. The previous best was Manchester United from 1999 (29 goals). But United played just 11 games instead of Barca's 13, so they still have the best average (2,63 against 2,46 for Barcelona). 
This is "best average" for "champions league" days only, I presume?
Real Madrid scored 20 goals in 7 matches on the road to becoming the first ever European Champions (just semi-randomly checking the first ever year), which is a higher average.

Of course.
We can't compare the old format with the current one.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2009, 11:47:57 AM »

Al has good reason to be happy.

I currently don't. Much.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2009, 11:54:55 AM »

Coming so close to beating the Forces of Darkness was... strange. Still. It's hard to beat the play-until-we-score injury time rule at Old Trafford...

Tragic news though... Portsmouth (one of my least favourite clubs for reasons that I can't quite remember now) managed to win the other day. Ending their impressive losing streak (seven games, seven losses).
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2009, 11:58:39 AM »

Tragic news though... Portsmouth (one of my least favourite clubs for reasons that I can't quite remember now) managed to win the other day. Ending their impressive losing streak (seven games, seven losses).

Yep, the triangle/line/knife jokes have now expired for this season. Squares aren't as funny...
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #280 on: October 10, 2009, 03:58:52 PM »

Argh! Angry
danny
Israel

« Reply #281 on: October 10, 2009, 04:47:31 PM »

At least you still have the the playoffs, we need to beat Switzerland away and have Greece lose points at home against Luxembourg just to get to where you are.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #282 on: October 10, 2009, 04:51:33 PM »

At least you still have the the playoffs, we need to beat Switzerland away and have Greece lose points at home against Luxembourg just to get to where you are.

Yeah - the Argh! was more about us conceding a sloppy late goal (again) rather than qualification - which TBTB have already decided to try and rig in favour of the higher ranked teams. Double Argh! Angry Angry
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #283 on: October 11, 2009, 03:49:32 AM »

Just from looking over the names though, it seems possible that Ireland might actually end up in the upper half of the draft?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #284 on: October 11, 2009, 05:31:21 AM »

Just from looking over the names though, it seems possible that Ireland might actually end up in the upper half of the draft?

Not really, no. The seeded teams are going to be Russia, France, Greece and Portugal, in that order. It's based on FIFA rankings (which suck). Right now Portugal is ranked 17th. Ireland is 38th. The Ukraine is the highest ranked non-seeded team at 25th.

So the rankings are pretty much set in stone. Now, had Sweden been able to take out Denmark yesterday and knocked off Portugal, while Latvia beat Greece and took that second-place it could have been interesting.

Damn FIFA and their rankings and seedings.

Anyway, I saw Germany's game, Lewis. Great show, I must say. Özil seems like a real rising star. And the goal-keeping was top class.

And in case someone missed it, Sweden got knocked out yesterday. End of a great string of qualifications, matched only by Germany, Spain, Portugal, France and Italy among the European teams. I called it before the first game but I'm still not happy about it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #285 on: October 11, 2009, 05:59:46 AM »

Not really, no. The seeded teams are going to be Russia, France, Greece and Portugal, in that order. It's based on FIFA rankings (which suck). Right now Portugal is ranked 17th. Ireland is 38th. The Ukraine is the highest ranked non-seeded team at 25th.
Yeah, I could only think of Russia and France as obviously higher-ranked teams when I wrote that, forgetting Portugal.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
They needed it to be. Yeah, Özil's really good (despite looking like a startled frog).
I am yet to see a penalty awarded against Germany in the last ten minutes. I'm at over half a dozen possible ones and counting...
Wait - is that dried and dusted, or just exceedingly likely?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #286 on: October 11, 2009, 06:00:43 AM »

Sweden can only finished second if Portugal fail to beat Malta on Wednesday, so I'd say it is pretty near over.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #287 on: October 11, 2009, 08:09:17 AM »

Yeah, I could only think of Russia and France as obviously higher-ranked teams when I wrote that, forgetting Portugal.

They needed it to be. Yeah, Özil's really good (despite looking like a startled frog).
I am yet to see a penalty awarded against Germany in the last ten minutes. I'm at over half a dozen possible ones and counting...
Wait - is that dried and dusted, or just exceedingly likely?

Yeah, the first case was sort of straddling the line, but the second one seemed pretty clear-cut.

And now that I'm reminded, that guy Boateng is someone you need to get rid of. He didn't seem able to hold his part in the defense at all. I could see the eventual sending off a long way off.

And as regards Sweden, see Gully's response. Portugal is simply too good to fail to score against Malta (and Malta has not scored a single goal so far in the qualification). So I guess Sweden's chances are about 0.1% or so.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #288 on: October 11, 2009, 10:30:09 AM »

Meh, if we had just beaten the Faroer Islands in the first game, instead of playing a tie, then we would be 1 point behind France right now and we could have beaten France in Paris in the final game and moved past them into second place ...

If we beat France now in Paris, we'll remain 1-point behind them and fail to qualify.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #289 on: October 11, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »

And now that I'm reminded, that guy Boateng is someone you need to get rid of. He didn't seem able to hold his part in the defense at all. I could see the eventual sending off a long way off.
Didn't have a particularly successful debut, that kid.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #290 on: October 19, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »

Play-Offs:
Ireland v France
Portugal v Bosnia-Herzogovina
Greece v Ukraine
Russia v Slovenia

Greece would have been prefered, but France probably would've been a reluctant second choice for me. We were in the same group for the last World Cup, drew in Paris and lost to a moment of Henry magic in Dublin. Out play-off record is pretty terrible though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #291 on: October 19, 2009, 09:17:20 AM »

Is one out of four bad?

Play-Offs:
Ireland v France
Portugal v Slovenia
Greece v Bosnia
Russia v Ukraine
with Bosnia the sole lower pot qualifier, was my joke guess last night.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #292 on: October 19, 2009, 09:31:24 AM »

Well, technically it's only 1 out of 5: losing to Spain (1966), Netherlands (1996), Belgium (1998) and Turkey (2000); beating only Iran (2002).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #293 on: October 19, 2009, 09:32:57 AM »

Well, technically it's only 1 out of 5: losing to Spain (1966), Netherlands (1996), Belgium (1998) and Turkey (2000); beating only Iran (2002).
Nah, I meant my guess.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #294 on: October 19, 2009, 09:57:05 AM »

Nah, I meant my guess.

Embarrassed
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #295 on: October 19, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »

I said from the start that we would make the play-offs and then fail as history dictated. And tbh, I can't see myself changing my mind now.

Ukraine and Russia to qualify. A bit unsure on Bosnia-Portugal; depends on which Portugal actually play.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #296 on: October 19, 2009, 03:36:35 PM »

Hear about Sunderland's victory against Liverpool?

Somebody chucked a beach ball on the pitch. As it came down, the white ball bounced off it and went in. They allowed the goal...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #297 on: October 20, 2009, 10:13:46 AM »

Somebody chucked a beach ball on the pitch. As it came down, the white ball bounced off it and went in. They allowed the goal...
Already posted. Thread titled "best.goal.ever."
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #298 on: October 20, 2009, 10:26:24 AM »

Already posted. Thread titled "best.goal.ever."

I noticed, but thanks for the point-out.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #299 on: October 20, 2009, 10:32:28 AM »

So I've, in turn, noticed. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies