Canada 2011 Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:40:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada 2011 Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 48
Author Topic: Canada 2011 Official Thread  (Read 136343 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: April 23, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »

Those attacks on Jack layton seem a bit like what the UK parties tried to do to Nick Clegg during the Cleggmania of the debates. Once the momentum's started, it doesn't work.

It worked during Palinmania (which had McCain leading Michigan at its height).

Not really the same. Couric killed it for her, and "In what respect, Charlie?"
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #476 on: April 23, 2011, 12:52:03 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2011, 12:54:36 PM by Hatman »

1150 people at an NDP rally in Duceppe's riding. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #477 on: April 23, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »

1150 people at an NDP rally in Duceppe's riding. Smiley

If those Quebec numbers are 'real' and hold up, then... it's hard to imagine isn't it, but...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #478 on: April 23, 2011, 01:13:26 PM »

Well, I dont think the NDP will win Duceppe's riding, but they put the rally there for a reason.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #479 on: April 23, 2011, 01:15:02 PM »

It is on TV: http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Politics/1244504890/ID=1854897866
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #480 on: April 23, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »

Well, I dont think the NDP will win Duceppe's riding, but they put the rally there for a reason.

Neither do I, but logically speaking if all that we've seen is real and stays, then... well... very much a case of 'I'll believe it when I see it'.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #481 on: April 23, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »

Any potential electoral effects if either or both of the Canadiens and Canucks lose their first round series?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #482 on: April 23, 2011, 01:56:46 PM »

This is very interesting: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/features/votecompass/map/

For as much BS that Canada Votes thing was, I think these maps are quite accurate. Interesting to see how Libertarian parts of Quebec are.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #483 on: April 23, 2011, 01:58:01 PM »

Those attacks on Jack layton seem a bit like what the UK parties tried to do to Nick Clegg during the Cleggmania of the debates. Once the momentum's started, it doesn't work.

It worked during Palinmania (which had McCain leading Michigan at its height).

Not really the same. Couric killed it for her, and "In what respect, Charlie?"

Nobody gave a crap about Couric or Charlie - what killed her was Tina Fey.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #484 on: April 23, 2011, 02:00:33 PM »

This is very interesting: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/features/votecompass/map/

For as much BS that Canada Votes thing was, I think these maps are quite accurate. Interesting to see how Libertarian parts of Quebec are.

It looks like Quebec supports higher taxes on the rich the most but also privatizing health insurance the most??? Weird.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #485 on: April 23, 2011, 02:06:33 PM »

It looks like Quebec supports higher taxes on the rich the most but also privatizing health insurance the most??? Weird.

The QC ridings with most support for privatizing health care are all rather affluent suburban areas and all but 2 are held by Tories or their retard "independent" ally. Worth noting that Quebec is the province, afaik, where the private sector plays the largest role in health care.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #486 on: April 23, 2011, 02:07:59 PM »

I'm guessing weirdly-worded questions in French (or just different parts of Quebec).

In unrelated news, Vancouver East seems to be a bastion of ultra-leftism.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #487 on: April 23, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »

I'm guessing weirdly-worded questions in French (or just different parts of Quebec).

Indeed, different parts of Quebec. That Quebec-Beauce area is very Libertarian, but in east Montreal, they are quite nationalist and leftist.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #488 on: April 23, 2011, 02:23:08 PM »

Quebec is genuinely more favourable to private health care than the rest of the country. It's sort of complicated, but it has to do with the fact that health care, unlike many other economic issues, never really played a role in Francophone Quebec taking control of its economy in the Quiet Revolution, so it doesn't have this symbolic importance that it does in English Canada where the development of the post-war welfare state is strongly associated with Tommy Douglas and Lester Pearson.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #489 on: April 23, 2011, 02:33:09 PM »

Meanwhile, the Liberals have a new ad attacking the NDP from the right on the economy and from the left on gun control, and most strangely, having "26 years as a career politician" appear in the exact same point in the screen as the immediately previous attack "inexperienced", all the while flashing an inexplicable yellow traffic light on the screen.

(The gun thing is a reference to allowing a free vote within the caucus on gun control rather than whipping them as Ignatieff did, allowing a small handful of them to vote with the Conservatives on the issue.)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #490 on: April 23, 2011, 02:36:03 PM »

Meanwhile, the Liberals have a new ad attacking the NDP from the right on the economy and from the left on gun control, and most strangely, having "26 years as a career politician" appear in the exact same point in the screen as the immediately previous attack "inexperienced", all the while flashing an inexplicable yellow traffic light on the screen.

The economy point of that ad is fair enough. Third parties generally spout insanely expensive/populist promises, assuming they'll never have to put them in place anyway.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #491 on: April 23, 2011, 03:58:07 PM »

Why doesn't Elections Canada simply not release any results until all the polls have closed?  The idea of we'll release results, but you'd better not blab about them was always silly.

In the early 1930's, BC complained.
During the 1970's, with Quebec voting so Liberal and BC voting so not-Liberal, BC continued to maintain it's case.

Since the year 2000 however, it seems that only Elections Canada is holding on.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #492 on: April 23, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »

I support these things. In fact, it seems that Quebec supports much of what I do.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #493 on: April 23, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »

Sometimes pictures really are worth a thousand words.
Foucaulf
« Reply #494 on: April 23, 2011, 07:07:07 PM »

Hipsters, immigrants, and the riding covers the Downtown Eastside, Vancouver's poorest neighbourhood; the DTES is likely Canada's poorest neighbourhood west of Ontario.

Sometimes pictures really are worth a thousand words.

Though I'm terrified of Layton succumbing to Cleggmania, I feel like this election will be the NDP's time. They'll have the best results in the party's history and replace the Bloc as the third largest party in the commons.
As both the Tories and the Liberals hammer the NDP for being incapable of government, that would be the ideal outcome for now.

With the election heating up, so might turnout:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I don't believe this proves a higher turnout: the same voters might want to get the vote done earlier. Compound this news with the vote mobs and reported increases in 18-34 turnout, however, and there are signs there could be over 60% turnout this election.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #495 on: April 23, 2011, 08:00:56 PM »

I can see how a badly divided left would benefit the Conservatives.

Are the Liberals and Bloc getting ready to hit the panic button?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #496 on: April 23, 2011, 08:01:56 PM »

The DTES is Canada's poorest neighbourhood, letalone west of Ontario. (I know St. James Town in Toronto is pretty poor, but it does not compare to the DTES).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #497 on: April 23, 2011, 08:04:34 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2011, 08:07:51 PM by Comrade Sibboleth »

It's also the place where prostitutes were turned into sausages, don't forget. Adding a degree of gothic to the more run-of-the-mill urban blight and inner city depression.

The area has been held by the CCF/NDP since 1930 with just two breaks.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #498 on: April 23, 2011, 08:35:06 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2011, 08:41:00 PM by José Peterson »

It depends a bit on what you mean by "neighbourhood" - certain reserves have much lower income. But if we restrict ourselves to urban areas, yes, the 5 postal codes with the lowest median income are (with description and, given the nature of the site, riding):

1. V6A (Downtown Eastside - NW corner of Vancouver East)
2. H3N (Park Extension - the overwhelmingly Liberal and immigrant west end of Papineau)
3. R3B (north end of Winnipeg Centre bordering the CPR railway tracks)
4. M4H (Thorncliffe Park - south end of Don Valley West, separated from the very wealthy rest of the riding by an industrial area)
5. M5T (Toronto Chinatown - Trinity-Spadina)

Notice here though that the DTES proper where all the horror stories come from (immediately east of downtown, to the north of the big railway yards poll) is actually one of the less NDP areas of the riding - most of the people actually voting are Chinese. Where the NDP really runs up the numbers is in the more stable and more Anglo areas a bit further east.
Kevinstat

« Reply #499 on: April 23, 2011, 09:20:38 PM »

I can see how a badly divided left would benefit the Conservatives.

There are some Conservative-NDP marginals in western Canada (the "rurban" Saskatoon and Regina seats other than Ralph Goodale's (Liberal-Wascana (& southeast Regina)), all presently held by Conservatives, come to mind, although some of them may not be very marginal nowadays), where the Conservatives could be hurt by a Liberal -> NDP shift, although a lot of would-be Liberal voters there might vote tactically NDP anyway, just as I'm sure there are tactical Dipper votes for Goodale in the Wascana riding.  I imagine the NDP percentage in there would surge if and when Goodale retired or in the first election after the Conservatives took him out.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies