The Liberal Party.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:00:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Liberal Party.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: The Liberal Party.  (Read 17564 times)
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2012, 07:31:23 PM »

"The Liberal Party was founded by a member of former members of the Liberal Caucus of the JCP [1] and the majority of members of the National Centrists [2]".

And, at the end:

[1] oakvale, napoleon, scott, and the rest of the guys.
[2] Teddy and the rest of the guys.

Again, it's a stub on an editable wiki. If you guys don't like what I've written so far, feel free to re-write it.

My apologies, I'm new here. But thank you Teddy for creating the wiki entry.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2012, 07:37:37 PM »

Just say it was founded as the Liberal Caucus in December, becoming a party after the JCP dissolved, etc. etc. etc.

Who founded the Liberal Caucus? Oakvale? I forget. Tongue

Me, Oakvale, Bacon King, Scott, and Dallasfan. The founding five! Cheesy

That's fine with me. Include Teddy for the Liberal Party and that's it. Also, I'm not allowed to edit the wiki =/
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »

This party strongly opposes the death penalty.

Aye!
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2012, 07:49:29 PM »

Why not have the same statement on issues like abortion/capital punishment/assisted suicide: "While the official party position is [insert party position here], we recognize that this is a very personal issue which individual members are allowed to have differing opinions on."
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2012, 08:13:27 PM »

Why not have the same statement on issues like abortion/capital punishment/assisted suicide: "While the official party position is [insert party position here], we recognize that this is a very personal issue which individual members are allowed to have differing opinions on."

In that case we would be a catch-all party.

My opinion is:

-abortion 15 weeks free or in case of rape or risk for the mother.
-Complete opposition to death penalty.
-Support to assisted suicide after psychological assistance.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2012, 08:14:20 PM »

I'm pretty sure that seems to be the general goal, here.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »

No, we actually have a platform going and are defining our niche. We don't want to be something bland like a "Non-Partisan League". We're a policy focused group.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2012, 08:18:09 PM »

Our goal should be defend the inalienable rights and the support of them until they hurt someone else's rights.

That's Liberalism.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »

That's because, as an "American", your knowledge is biased towards simplicity.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2012, 08:25:16 PM »

This party is becoming more right-wing by the second.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2012, 08:25:57 PM »

I think accepting the term "Liberal" on a simplistic American definition is this party's best strength. You shouldn't point it out too much.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2012, 08:27:19 PM »

Marokai, do you really have nothing better to do than attack a party that is still developing?
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2012, 08:34:11 PM »

I think accepting the term "Liberal" on a simplistic American definition is this party's best strength. You shouldn't point it out too much.

Teaching is its own reward.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2012, 10:06:01 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2012, 10:14:02 PM by The leader (possibly) of the civilizing forces »

Just say it was founded as the Liberal Caucus in December, becoming a party after the JCP dissolved, etc. etc. etc.

Who founded the Liberal Caucus? Oakvale? I forget. Tongue

Me, Oakvale, Bacon King, Scott, and Dallasfan. The founding five! Cheesy

I hope it's not seen as egocentric of me to suggest these five be listed as the founders. If you want to be more accurate, the caucus intially developed out of conversations between me and Napoleon, and Scott, but let's not split hairs. Wink

Respectfully, Marokai, that's not true. Or at least, that's absolutely not my intention as a co-founder and interim Chair. I had assumed the Liberal Party would end up an influential, centrist party somewhat to the left of the old Democratic Alliance that could, hopefully punch above its weight. Perhaps ironically, I've been thinking of "Liberal" in the European (or Canadian, perhaps!) sense, rather than the American meaning of "generally left wing". The party, in my opinion, is for those of the centre-left. Wink

The last thing I want is for another big tent party to dominate the Left. I was a vocal supporter of the dual dissolution exactly because I recognise the problems of large catch-all parties.

EDIT: Oh, I strongly, strongly urge the membership to include opposition to the death penalty as one of our planks. We can be centrists without being Moderate Heroes - a member's personal opinion is one thing, but I'd rather not have, say, Liberal Senators voting in favour of an (IMO) inherently illiberal policy.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2012, 11:00:39 PM »

I support Billy Butler Yeats (event though he's an anti-paulist ¬¬) and obviously Napoleon. But I would like to see more presence of the other heavy weights of the party before taking some positions.

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2012, 11:58:56 PM »

In case I wasn't clear enough earlier: I definitely think that the party should have an official stance on capital punishment, abortion, and assisted suicide (Which, if I could have it my way, would be oppose, support [to a point], support), but I think that disagreeing with the party line need not disqualify one from joining.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2012, 12:12:21 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2012, 12:16:47 AM by Santorum's South American Jihadist »

Well, I'll repeat MY positions.

-Abortion 3 months unless risk of life for the mother or rape.
-Complete abolition of death penalty.
-Legal euthanasia.....life is a right and you can chose to end it if you want to.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2012, 12:16:08 AM »

In case I wasn't clear enough earlier: I definitely think that the party should have an official stance on capital punishment, abortion, and assisted suicide (Which, if I could have it my way, would be oppose, support [to a point], support), but I think that disagreeing with the party line need not disqualify one from joining.

Didn't you read the previous posts?
Yes. I was afraid that I may not have been clear enough in my earlier post. Sorry if I seemed dense.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2012, 12:17:50 AM »

Yes. I was afraid that I may not have been clear enough in my earlier post. Sorry if I seemed dense.

Al revés Smiley I seemed dense, it was not my intention.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2012, 12:22:17 AM »

Al revés Smiley I seemed dense, it was not my intention.
It's all good. And hey! I know a new phrase! Cheesy
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2012, 12:23:39 AM »

I joined this party as a more classical liberal party, rather than a stereotypical left-wing party... but I'm obviously happy to have some elements in the platform.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2012, 12:26:17 AM »

I joined this party as a more classical liberal party, rather than a stereotypical left-wing party... but I'm obviously happy to have some elements in the platform.

^ This was actually my intention in creating the caucus (and now party)! Tongue I hope the Social Democrats get up and running soon so we don't have more left-wing members joining the party mistakenly and having to leave.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2012, 12:32:07 AM »

I'm a classical liberal, in fact, in my country I'm a member of a "right-wing" party.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2012, 12:33:43 AM »

I could write a marvelous classical liberal platform, but my English is not that good.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2012, 12:34:45 AM »

If you give me one day I could do it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies