Labor Party Standing Committee (10/12-6/13)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:26:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Labor Party Standing Committee (10/12-6/13)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22
Author Topic: Labor Party Standing Committee (10/12-6/13)  (Read 37357 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: March 30, 2013, 01:47:27 AM »

I pop into the IRC, like, twice a month. Also, I'm not a Senator, and it was just a few days ago that I started having second thoughts about the Amendment because it wasn't until just a few days ago that we had two more Senate vacancies.

I don't know what you're getting all up in my face for about this, I talked to a few people about it and decided I was getting worried about it's implementation. I would probably prefer us to have a second go at crafting some more safeguards in this idea, but if it passes (as is, I'd like to remind you, pretty freaking likely regardless of what our alleged conspirators are up to) I want it to work right and sure as hell hope it does, if nothing else.

I'm worried about it, I voted Abstain, and that is literally all I can contribute to this at this point. You are, by the way, more than welcome to join the IRC. It's not like I'm the chatroom sort myself, you know.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #426 on: March 30, 2013, 01:52:16 AM »

I pop into the IRC, like, twice a month. Also, I'm not a Senator, and it was just a few days ago that I started having second thoughts about the Amendment because it wasn't until just a few days ago that we had two more Senate vacancies.

I don't know what you're getting all up in my face for about this, I talked to a few people about it and decided I was getting worried about it's implementation. I would probably prefer us to have a second go at crafting some more safeguards in this idea, but if it passes (as is, I'd like to remind you, pretty freaking likely regardless of what our alleged conspirators are up to) I want it to work right and sure as hell hope it does, if nothing else.

I'm worried about it, I voted Abstain, and that is literally all I can contribute to this at this point. You are, by the way, more than welcome to join the IRC. It's not like I'm the chatroom sort myself, you know.

I'm not getting in your face, I said I'm not accusing you of anything. However, is it not valid for me to question why these opponents are for some reason able to convince you of this in the IRC? Why can't they come convince you/others of this here in public?

As I said, when I introduced this, I did so with the expectation that it would die in the Senate. However, I also expected that my predicted outcome would be the result of some sort of opposition. As far as I could tell, there was none. It passed the Senate unanimously. Griffin, who is complaining that it wasn't discussed enough, was silent. He didn't offer any comments of questions. So what can I do, as a sponsor, to actually make anything done here worth my time?

Even now, I'm addressing the Labor Party directly, not running a sleazy underground campaign. I want an open, public discussion. That's it. All this does is ruin the entire experience.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #427 on: March 30, 2013, 01:56:11 AM »

Hell, I don't know why people chat on the IRC about random things, but it's not like anyone there had some sort of special power of persuasion over me and my weak constitution let me fall victim to their seduction. Like I said, I was already getting worried about it because of the (very) recent Senate vacancies.

I think I would've preferred some sort of safeguard mechanism like the Midwest passed in our regional legislature, allowing re-ratification or something like that to come up again in 8 months or a year to double check if it was a worthwhile investment. The problem was, by the time I was thinking about that, it was already more than most of its way to passing the Senate.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #428 on: March 30, 2013, 02:01:41 AM »

I think I would've preferred some sort of safeguard mechanism like the Midwest passed in our regional legislature, allowing re-ratification or something like that to come up again in 8 months or a year to double check if it was a worthwhile investment. The problem was, by the time I was thinking about that, it was already more than most of its way to passing the Senate.

We can still revisit this in 8 months and see what we think if this passes (even if I'm not in the Senate Tongue ). I have no problem with that. And Marokai, you know that if it doesn't work out I'll be the first person out there saying we need to undo it, I have a notable history of trying to reduce the number of offices to create competition in the past. I think its time we try something, and I think we will see more candidates run. Someone like Seatown, who is probably unelectable right now, could have a better chance at getting elected if this amendment passes. Maybe not all of Labor's Southern voters will be cancelled out by the overwhelming Federalist advantage of the IDS region, they'll be mixed in a bit more with other states.

I repeat, I'm not accusing you of anything or trying to fault you in anyway, as I hope you understood from my PM. What I am saying is that those in the IRC talking about this, well, they should have came forward with their arguments/concerns publicly. Maybe they were compelling arguments and could have convinced me or other Senators not to support it!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #429 on: March 31, 2013, 08:00:20 PM »

The IRC is not the secret cabal you describe it as. It's a hangout for forum members with a faster pace and more lax rules than the forum. There is a lot of Atlasia discussion, and several Labor members have made their own sub-channel, but there is no secret conspiracy to stop you and your policies. I agree that Adam, seatown, et. al should have gone public with any concerns, but their worst crime, as far as I see it, is not speaking.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #430 on: March 31, 2013, 08:24:27 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2013, 08:33:08 PM by Senator Napoleon »

The IRC is not the secret cabal you describe it as. It's a hangout for forum members with a faster pace and more lax rules than the forum. There is a lot of Atlasia discussion, and several Labor members have made their own sub-channel, but there is no secret conspiracy to stop you and your policies. I agree that Adam, seatown, et. al should have gone public with any concerns, but their worst crime, as far as I see it, is not speaking.

Look im not being a paranoid IRC conspiracy nut or anything, I am not attacking the IRC. You and I are in agreement here Senator. Smiley I am disappointed to see another reform package to fail without the opposition even giving us a chance to speak up and address it.

Btw, this isnt "my policy", it was originally a bipartisan effort and its certainly not something I am going to be upset forever failing. I come here to enjoy the debates, though. I am happy that Griffin made his thread but can't we discuss these things before we even send it out of the Senate. Look at all the publicity I tried to bring to the amendment, I was hoping to see public involvement, not out of the blue rejection. Especially considering its usually the Senate holding us back from reform, this is the first time I have actually seen the Senate pass something like thisa and the public shoot it down.

This amendment isn't the rope I am going to hang myself from, I think its an interesting idea and I know its bound to be more popular in regions like the Mideast and especially the Northeast where population is high and options are limited.

The Northeast Assembly has 5 members for about 40 people (one of TPP Reps resigned). The Senate has 10 members for about 200 people. One seat is vacant for the same reason (TPP resignation. If you think about it, since June 2011, the Northeast Senator/Governor has pretty much been a combination of me, Scott, ans Nix. What about bore, Goldwater, Poirot, Snowball, Fezzy, sirnick, Matt from VT, or Earthling. What about DemPGH? We don't need to waste our potential so we can be exclusive and have people pretending that 11/14 active Senators is still way better than having isn't better than 7/10 actives. The more involvement we get for Senate debate, the less we need from the public. Perhaps one of those Senators that we add with districts will speak up publicly against something like this instead of waiting until there is no chance for an honest debate. Just my thoughts.

I know some people haven't forgiven me for some of my controversial moments but I take my post-Presidency very seriously. I want to make sure that we have stronger policy debates and that all elections are free and fair. Those are my two goals for my term. I believe this amendment could help us in a few different ways but it was designed in the sense that it was agreeable since it maintained the Senate balance, and yes its an old idea in one sense but five districts were just regions. Four opens up a map for fun. I think proposing improvements to the core of the game play action should be encouraged, even if you think j have been around forever. Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #431 on: April 08, 2013, 12:31:53 PM »

I just wanted to ask for this great party's endorsement in the upcoming Mideast Senate election.  I was hoping you guys might consider just running Alfred for at-large Senate.  I have always been a strong progressive voice in the Senate and I fear a second Laborite and I would cannibalize critcal portions of each other's support.  I just thought it might be a good way to help ensure a pragmatic and progressive Senate next session Smiley Thoughts?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #432 on: April 08, 2013, 05:26:05 PM »

I just wanted to ask for this great party's endorsement in the upcoming Mideast Senate election.  I was hoping you guys might consider just running Alfred for at-large Senate.  I have always been a strong progressive voice in the Senate and I fear a second Laborite and I would cannibalize critcal portions of each other's support.  I just thought it might be a good way to help ensure a pragmatic and progressive Senate next session Smiley Thoughts?

I thank the Senator for coming forward to speak to the caucus directly. While it is not up to me to determine who runs or who doesn't, I do hope that the Party at-large will discuss this proposal and come to a amenable conclusion.

Speaking of such, I'd like to remind everyone of the timeframe for endorsement requests:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #433 on: April 10, 2013, 01:54:46 AM »

I would like to request the endorsement of the Labor Party for my reelection campaign. I've always been a proud leftist and I believe we have a lot in common. I founded the Progressive Caucus because I believe that the left working together and supporting one another is paramount to our success in policy. While some of us have had our differences, I think that if you consider what I've done in the Senate in the past and what we're working on now, I'm an ally that this party can rely on. I've worked with Senators Snowstalker and Nix and President Marokai and been probably the most active at-large Senator. I've tried my best to keep the Senate and the public active in debate and discussion. Thank you for considering me and allowing to speak before you.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #434 on: April 11, 2013, 01:53:10 AM »

The formal endorsement request period for the April At-Large Elections, as well as the Northeast, IDS & Pacific elections, is now open and will last for 48 hours. All Labor Party candidates are automatically endorsed by the party.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #435 on: April 11, 2013, 01:53:52 AM »

I would like to request the endorsement of the Labor Party for my reelection campaign. I've always been a proud leftist and I believe we have a lot in common. I founded the Progressive Caucus because I believe that the left working together and supporting one another is paramount to our success in policy. While some of us have had our differences, I think that if you consider what I've done in the Senate in the past and what we're working on now, I'm an ally that this party can rely on. I've worked with Senators Snowstalker and Nix and President Marokai and been probably the most active at-large Senator. I've tried my best to keep the Senate and the public active in debate and discussion. Thank you for considering me and allowing to speak before you.

Im also happy to answer any questions.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #436 on: April 11, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »

I would like to formally ask for this great party's endorsement in the upcoming at-large Senste election.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #437 on: April 11, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »

I second Napoleon's and X's endorsement seeking, they deserve to have a shot.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #438 on: April 11, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »

I will also ask for the Labor Party's endorsement, as I am always willing to work with members of the Labor party, and with everyone else.

Thank You!

Also any questions you have, I'd be more than happy to hear.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #439 on: April 11, 2013, 10:12:22 PM »

I will second Matt's request for endorsement.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #440 on: April 13, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »

Sorry for opening this late, guys. Had a RL convention today. Tongue

Voting starts now and will last for 72 hours. Candidates who are a) not automatically endorsed and b) receive at least 60% affirmative vote will be endorsed by the Labor Party (abstentions count against the 60% threshold).

AT-LARGE SENATE:

[X] Alfred F. Jones (LAB-PR)
[X] MaxQue (LAB-CO)

[  ] Matt From Vt (FED-VT)
[  ] Mr. X (IND-OH)
[  ] Napoleon (LIB-CT)

IDS EMPEROR RACE:

[X] Zanas46 (LAB-AL)
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #441 on: April 13, 2013, 10:55:11 PM »

AT-LARGE SENATE:

[X] MaxQue (LAB-CO)

[Matt Damon] Matt From Vt (FED-VT)
[  ] Mr. X (IND-OH)
[  ] Napoleon (LIB-CT)

IDS EMPEROR RACE:

[X] Zanas46 (LAB-AL)

Note to Mr. X and Nap: I support you guys and I hope you win, but with no At-Large Laborites and two candidates from our party running I don't feel like we should endorse other candidates at this time.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #442 on: April 14, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »

AT-LARGE SENATE:

[X] MaxQue (LAB-CO)

[X] Mr. X (IND-OH)
[  ] Napoleon (LIB-CT)

IDS EMPEROR RACE:

[X] Zanas46 (LAB-AL)

I agree with Nix! Though I will make an exception and vote for Mr. X.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #443 on: April 14, 2013, 01:34:18 PM »

I agree with CK/drj: We need to focus on supporting Labor's candidates.

AT-LARGE SENATE:

[X] MaxQue (LAB-CO)

[  ] Mr. X (IND-OH)
[  ] Napoleon (LIB-CT)

IDS EMPEROR RACE:

[X] Zanas46 (LAB-AL)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #444 on: April 14, 2013, 02:12:32 PM »

AT-LARGE SENATE:

[X] MaxQue (LAB-CO)

[  ] Mr. X (IND-OH)
[  ] Napoleon (LIB-CT)

IDS EMPEROR RACE:

[X] Zanas46 (LAB-AL)

And Non-Labor candidates can get an endorsement from the Progressive Caucus.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #445 on: April 14, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »

AT-LARGE SENATE:

[X] MaxQue (LAB-CO)

[  ] Mr. X (IND-OH)
[  ] Napoleon (LIB-CT)

IDS EMPEROR RACE:

[X] Zanas46 (LAB-AL)

And Non-Labor candidates can get an endorsement from the Progressive Caucus.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #446 on: April 14, 2013, 07:13:37 PM »

I'm still voting El señor X to be endorsed by us.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #447 on: April 14, 2013, 09:57:19 PM »

AT-LARGE SENATE:

[X] MaxQue (LAB-CO)

[X] Mr. X (IND-OH)
[  ] Napoleon (LIB-CT)

IDS EMPEROR RACE:

[X] Zanas46 (LAB-AL)

I agree with Nix! Though I will make an exception and vote for Mr. X.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #448 on: April 15, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »

AT-LARGE SENATE:

[X] MaxQue (LAB-CO)

[  ] Mr. X (IND-OH)
[  ] Napoleon (LIB-CT)

IDS EMPEROR RACE:

[X] Zanas46 (LAB-AL)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix