CO-SEN Megathread: Cory In The House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:49:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CO-SEN Megathread: Cory In The House
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 33
Author Topic: CO-SEN Megathread: Cory In The House  (Read 58869 times)
DaWN
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: September 12, 2019, 04:06:06 PM »

Looks like literally the only group of people not to have accepted Hickenlooper's inevitability is the pundits lmao
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #476 on: September 12, 2019, 04:28:40 PM »

Onward to victory, long live the Hick!
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #477 on: September 13, 2019, 12:04:31 AM »

I’d just like to say that no one is disputing that Hickenlooper will crush Corey. The problem many of us have with him is that any competent dem can beat Corey thanks to partisanship so why do we have to have some old moderate who would take on the role of Lieberman and sabotage any healthcare reform over a young progressive star like Romanoff who could be molded into a future presidential candidate?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #478 on: September 13, 2019, 12:24:56 AM »

I’d just like to say that no one is disputing that Hickenlooper will crush Corey. The problem many of us have with him is that any competent dem can beat Corey thanks to partisanship so why do we have to have some old moderate who would take on the role of Lieberman and sabotage any healthcare reform over a young progressive star like Romanoff who could be molded into a future presidential candidate?

Not to mention this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/08/29/john-hickenlooper-said-he-wasnt-cut-out-senate-now-he-wants/

“I’m not cut out to be a senator,” Hickenlooper said in February, two weeks before announcing his presidential bid.

“It’s awful hard to imagine that I could be successful in a Senate campaign or as a senator,” Hickenlooper said in May.

“If the Senate’s so good, how come all those senators are trying to get out?” he said in June.

This guy couldn't just pass on a Senate bid, but instead had to undermine his own ability to be a good Senator. Now, he ....wants to be a Senator? Really? How shameless. Very easy to make him look power hungry too. It's good to have a purpose for running you can articulate to the people, but in this case, it really just looks like he wants to hold some sort of office. And yeah, a lot of politicians are like this too, but they don't usually come off so blatant about it.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #479 on: September 13, 2019, 10:03:15 AM »

A "young progressive star"? Who lost to Michael Bennet in the primary in 2010 and to Mike Coffman in the general in 2014? If that's a "young progressive star", then I wonder who is the "young progressive icon" in your view.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #480 on: September 13, 2019, 10:09:42 AM »

Hickenlooper likely has this in the bag, though I'm still holding out hope that Romanoff can consolidate the leftie vote to make the primary competitive.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #481 on: September 13, 2019, 12:06:58 PM »

A "young progressive star"? Who lost to Michael Bennet in the primary in 2010 and to Mike Coffman in the general in 2014? If that's a "young progressive star", then I wonder who is the "young progressive icon" in your view.

Yeah, the clown knows it too, no response. Sad!

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #482 on: September 14, 2019, 07:31:38 AM »

Gardner won in 2014.
InheritTheWind

« Reply #483 on: September 14, 2019, 10:03:09 AM »

Hickenlooper will most likely win the primary and the general. But he sucks policy-wise, and I don't think he's an amazing #electable Green heart candidate either.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #484 on: September 14, 2019, 10:16:26 AM »

After the primaries we’re probably going to be subjected to a deluge of takes and "serious analysis" about how Hickenlooper is blowing this race and how Republicans can’t pull away in Alabama because their campaigns aren’t energetic enough or whatever, similar to the concern trolling last year with MO-SEN and NV-SEN.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #485 on: September 14, 2019, 10:31:37 AM »

That was in 2014, which was a republican wave year, where the republicans were still winning college educated whites, of which Colorado has a lot. Donald Trump is on the ballot and he is repelling those voters in droves. Colorado is not going to vote republican in 2020. The end.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #486 on: September 14, 2019, 11:46:06 AM »

That was in 2014, which was a republican wave year, where the republicans were still winning college educated whites, of which Colorado has a lot. Donald Trump is on the ballot and he is repelling those voters in droves. Colorado is not going to vote republican in 2020. The end.

Hickenlooper did way better, and is better, the end.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #487 on: September 14, 2019, 09:14:01 PM »

https://kdvr.com/2019/09/12/sen-gardner-cheers-trump-administration-decision-to-drop-water-protection-rule/amp/?fbclid=IwAR0u9soLRKZqzoDVb4MpK2YsqAZuwDm3bBpg5MyXH5MTyvIx11ULl7xF3CQ

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. — The Trump administration on Thursday revoked an Obama-era regulation that shielded many U.S. wetlands and streams from pollution but was opposed by developers and farmers who said it hurt economic development and infringed on property rights, a move that Colorado Sen. Cory Gardner cheered as “a victory for Colorado’s farmers.”

Environmental groups criticized the administration’s action, the latest in a series of moves to roll back environmental protections put into place under President Barack Obama.

The 2015 Waters of the United States rule defined the waterways subject to federal regulation. Scrapping it “puts an end to an egregious power grab, eliminates an ongoing patchwork of clean water regulations and restores a longstanding and familiar regulatory framework,” Environmental Protection Agency chief Andrew Wheeler said at a news conference.

Given the pro-environment lean of Colorado, I'd wager at this rate, Doug Jones has a better shot at re-election than Cory Gardner.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #488 on: September 14, 2019, 09:19:03 PM »

https://kdvr.com/2019/09/12/sen-gardner-cheers-trump-administration-decision-to-drop-water-protection-rule/amp/?fbclid=IwAR0u9soLRKZqzoDVb4MpK2YsqAZuwDm3bBpg5MyXH5MTyvIx11ULl7xF3CQ

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. — The Trump administration on Thursday revoked an Obama-era regulation that shielded many U.S. wetlands and streams from pollution but was opposed by developers and farmers who said it hurt economic development and infringed on property rights, a move that Colorado Sen. Cory Gardner cheered as “a victory for Colorado’s farmers.”

Environmental groups criticized the administration’s action, the latest in a series of moves to roll back environmental protections put into place under President Barack Obama.

The 2015 Waters of the United States rule defined the waterways subject to federal regulation. Scrapping it “puts an end to an egregious power grab, eliminates an ongoing patchwork of clean water regulations and restores a longstanding and familiar regulatory framework,” Environmental Protection Agency chief Andrew Wheeler said at a news conference.

Given the pro-environment lean of Colorado, I'd wager at this rate, Doug Jones has a better shot at re-election than Cory Gardner.

That's laughable, and I think you know better than this.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #489 on: September 14, 2019, 10:12:47 PM »

Doug Jones' chances are more or less in the toilet, no duh.  However, taking positions like these in a pro-environment state isn't a good look.

My statement was more or less hyperbolic.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #490 on: September 15, 2019, 09:32:08 PM »

Doug Jones' chances are more or less in the toilet, no duh.  However, taking positions like these in a pro-environment state isn't a good look.

My statement was more or less hyperbolic.

Pro-environment voters aren't likely to be single-issue voters and are less likely to be swing voters. Given the profile of swing voters it's more likely that a rural swing voter will be anti-environmental protection than pro, especially for land that's not suitable for hunting.

Worth noting that this legislation was hugely unpopular in Iowa in 2015/2016 and it probably had some marginal effects on vote tallies.
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #491 on: September 15, 2019, 10:03:45 PM »

If you know you're going down no matter what you might as well live it up.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #492 on: September 16, 2019, 09:05:26 AM »

The Hick will probably win by more than 10 points. Gardner has no chance. Likely D, closer to Safe than Lean, because it actually still has to flip.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #493 on: October 08, 2019, 10:41:00 AM »

Hickenlooper raised $2.1 million dollars in the first six weeks of his campaign. Gardner raised $2.4 million in Q3.

https://coloradosun.com/2019/10/08/john-hickenlooper-fundraising-us-senate-race/
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #494 on: October 08, 2019, 07:22:31 PM »

Hickenlooper raised $2.1 million dollars in the first six weeks of his campaign. Gardner raised $2.4 million in Q3.

https://coloradosun.com/2019/10/08/john-hickenlooper-fundraising-us-senate-race/

Gardner is definitely benefiting from his status as an incumbent, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hickenlooper pulls ahead of him, later on during the campaign season. And Hickenlooper is also boosted by what is left of the money he raised for his abortive presidential campaign.
UncleSam

« Reply #495 on: October 09, 2019, 05:37:42 PM »

The biggest benefit to Hickenlooper over other ‘further left’ candidates might be that Dems will need to spend less money to pick up the seat, thus allowing national Dem groups to spend more in other, more competitive races. Gardner, as an incumbent, will be well-funded and will be a sinkhole for National R groups, since neither the NRSC or DRSC has the stomach to let an incumbent go purposefully.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #496 on: October 11, 2019, 01:39:21 PM »

Hick keeps bulldozing the field.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #497 on: October 11, 2019, 04:34:09 PM »

Hick keeps bulldozing the field.

Who even was that lol. Never heard of them before.
JMT

« Reply #498 on: December 02, 2019, 08:26:01 PM »

State Sen. Angela Williams dropped out of the Senate race a few days ago, choosing instead to run for reelection to her current office:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/11/27/angela-williams-us-senate-2020/

It looks like Hickenlooper's only main challenger for the nomination now is Andrew Romanoff.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #499 on: December 02, 2019, 11:07:32 PM »

State Sen. Angela Williams dropped out of the Senate race a few days ago, choosing instead to run for reelection to her current office:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/11/27/angela-williams-us-senate-2020/

It looks like Hickenlooper's only main challenger for the nomination now is Andrew Romanoff.

I did not hear about this until now. It looks like the field is continuing to clear for Hickenlooper. Romanoff, of course, is in until the bitter end, I suspect. It's been nine years since he lost a competitive primary race to Michael Bennet, and I'm sure he is wishing to avenge that defeat by defeating Bennet's former superior, Hickenlooper.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies