Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 05:12:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 70342 times)
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: February 11, 2019, 01:06:29 PM »

Democrats really need to wait for the investigation to close otherwise they leave themselves open for politically motivated individuals. I put nothing behind Republicans and i'm certain they will do it. 
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1301 on: February 11, 2019, 01:14:48 PM »

Great precedent. Very well handled by the Virginia Democratic Party. Extremely impressed.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1302 on: February 11, 2019, 01:18:43 PM »

Great precedent. Very well handled by the Virginia Democratic Party. Extremely impressed.

This precedent started when Republicans voted to confirm Kavanaugh to SCOTUS. Its Republicans who are to blame here, not Democrats.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1303 on: February 11, 2019, 01:18:54 PM »

People getting forced out of politics as the Me Too movement goes on has to happen like a queue.

First in with a reputable accusation against them; First out of public office as a consequence.

Currently, this queue is stuck with Kavanaugh at front. Before we can get any further within the queue than that, he needs to go.

What???

So in 20 years when Kavanaugh is still on the Court you are perfectly fine not looking into a single rape allegation against any politicians accused since?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1304 on: February 11, 2019, 01:21:08 PM »

This precedent started when Republicans voted to confirm Kavanaugh to SCOTUS. Its Republicans who are to blame here, not Democrats.

There is no blame. An independent investigation is the good way to go. Voters should reward the Democratic Party in November for their honor.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1305 on: February 11, 2019, 01:26:49 PM »

Good. And good for the BLC for slowing this down. Democrats need to calm down worried about what Republicans think about them. If he did it and the women and their stories are credible this will be established through an apolitical investigation.

I believe his accusers and I think there’s a greater than 60% chance that Fairfax is a rapist.  This has nothing to do with anyone giving an [Inks] how Republicans feel about this (especially amoral hypocrites like SirWoodbury) and everything to do with thinking rape is an impeachable offense, period.  I can’t believe this discussion is even necessary, but here we are.  

We’re not talking about a death row inmate who was wrongly denied an appeal after the state withheld exculpatory evidence.  We’re talking about a man who is likely a rapist and at least one accuser has considerable contemporaneous evidence from 2000 and five people willing to give witness statements indicating that she discussed it with them at the time.  

The considerable evidence against Kavanaugh was more than strong enough to disqualify him for any judgeship, let alone the highest court in the land, as well as to easily clear the preponderance of evidence bar.  However, there is already even stronger evidence against Fairfax than there was against Kavanaugh.  The VA BLC should be ashamed of itself for prioritizing the political career of a likely rapist who happens to be the same skin color as them over holding said rapist accountable for his crimes.  Lest we forget, these are the same folks who think Northam should resign.  And they’re right...but the idea that what Northam did was even remotely close to being in the same universe as Fairfax likely having raped at least two women reeks of willful ignorance at best and morally indefensible levels of hypocrisy at worst.  

And one more thing about the VA BLC: They already asked Fairfax to resign.  Why call for him to do that if you really think he’s likely innocent or even that it’s impossible to say without an investigation?  I mention this because the VA BLC’s actions suggested that they think Fairfax is probably a rapist, but apparently the VA BLC doesn’t think that is bad enough to warrant impeaching him...oh wait...that’s even worse.  

As for Patrick Hope, he’s revealed himself to be a gutless coward who lacks the courage of his convictions and cannot be relied upon to help hold rapists accountable for their crimes if said rapists have powerful friends.  He had a rare chance make a name for himself by showing the courage and moral leadership Virginia needs in this difficult hour...and blew it the moment the moment he realized he might have to ruffle a few feathers in the process.  I shudder to think what Mr. Hope would have done were he the publisher of the Boston Globe in the run-up to the Pedophile Priest expose.  Would he have spiked the story after a meeting with Cardinal Law or a phone call from some statewide politician playing errand boy for the Archdiocese of Boston?  Thankfully, we’ll never have to find out.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1306 on: February 11, 2019, 01:39:40 PM »

I would like Fairfax to resign too. But for impeachment maybe it's better to wait for an investigation that will eventually present some concrete evidence and maybe prosecute him, just like Missouri Republicans did with Greitens.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1307 on: February 11, 2019, 02:34:39 PM »

So it's official, both major parties in this country are OK with rape.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1308 on: February 11, 2019, 02:38:58 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2019, 02:44:07 PM by Calthrina950 »

You can see part of why I've been skeptical with the two-party system. It's clear at this point that Fairfax needs to go. And I have this to add, saying this as a black person myself: If it were a white woman accusing Fairfax of rape, he would be gone already.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1309 on: February 11, 2019, 02:40:29 PM »

I would like Fairfax to resign too. But for impeachment maybe it's better to wait for an investigation that will eventually present some concrete evidence and maybe prosecute him, just like Missouri Republicans did with Greitens.

Oh, yes, the noted paragons of virtue in the MO GOP. Roll Eyes
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1310 on: February 11, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »

Roll Eyes Or maybe there is a difference between seriously listening to women who come forward with accusations, and automatically believing their word over the denials of the accused? I guarantee you if enough evidence mounts to sink Fairfax's denials, Virginia Dems will seek to remove him from office.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1311 on: February 11, 2019, 02:51:12 PM »

Disgusting. If both sides didn't do it before, they sure as hell do now. Congrats, bronz.

I'll say it: There is a legitimate, pervasive problem with phalanx-like bloc voting and wagon-circling by racial and cultural identity groups in this country. It shows up in the white Evangelical (and to an extent white practicing Catholic) community's willingness to carry water for depraved fiends like Roy Moore and Brett Kavanaugh, and it shows up in the racialization of Fairfax's troubles here.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1312 on: February 11, 2019, 02:58:35 PM »

Disgusting. If both sides didn't do it before, they sure as hell do now. Congrats, bronz.

I'll say it: There is a legitimate, pervasive problem with phalanx-like bloc voting and wagon-circling by racial and cultural identity groups in this country. It shows up in the white Evangelical (and to an extent white practicing Catholic) community's willingness to carry water for depraved fiends like Roy Moore and Brett Kavanaugh, and it shows up in the racialization of Fairfax's troubles here.

You really hit the nail on the head here.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1313 on: February 11, 2019, 03:01:04 PM »

Roll Eyes Or maybe there is a difference between seriously listening to women who come forward with accusations, and automatically believing their word over the denials of the accused? I guarantee you if enough evidence mounts to sink Fairfax's denials, Virginia Dems will seek to remove him from office.

It's really amazing how no one will give him even a chance to prove his innocence. They are so desperate for the story to go away so 24 hour news can move onto covering the next Trump tweet. I think this will ultimately end up with his resignation, but you can't dispose of him so quickly. This will have no electoral implications. Just give him a couple of weeks to offer a defense if he really believes he is so innocent before destroying his family and career.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1314 on: February 11, 2019, 03:05:02 PM »

THIS IS NOT A F**KING TRIAL YOU F**KING F**KWITS

"beyond reasonable doubt" doesn't apply to whether or not a powerful man should get or keep a position of power
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1315 on: February 11, 2019, 03:05:51 PM »

I'm sure Fairfax can have a thriving second career writing about perfidious Woman for MRA websites if he's really that hard-up for cash.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1316 on: February 11, 2019, 03:09:10 PM »

"beyond reasonable doubt" doesn't apply to whether or not a powerful man should get or keep a position of power

Nobody is talking about "beyond a reasonable doubt" or criminal liability. A mere accusation of wrongdoing does not inherently hold more weight than a denial. Certainly, the accuser(s) have fewer reasons to lie about the accusations than Fairfax does about the denial(s), but that alone does not affect the balance. If you cannot get that through your thick skull, you're just an idiot.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1317 on: February 11, 2019, 03:11:43 PM »

Why are you so pressed? I don’t necessarily believe he is innocent but why can’t there be an investigation so that Fairfax  and the two accusers can have an opportunity to tell their respective stories (as well as other witnesses that can corroborate). I didn’t know people could simply make statements about you and you had to immediately be forced out of public view for eternity. You need him gone today why? How does it impact your life if he leaves today or after the accusers and witnesses go on record?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1318 on: February 11, 2019, 03:16:40 PM »

Maybe I'm not really clear on what's being proposed in the Virginia GA right now. However, it seems to me that if the Witnesses are willing to come forward, that benefits everyone, including and perhaps especially those whom are presently convinced Fairfax needs to go (including yours truly ). Surely it is worth the additional time for such additional investigation and testimony?

Or am I missing something here as to what's being proposed?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1319 on: February 11, 2019, 03:25:44 PM »

Why are you so pressed? I don’t necessarily believe he is innocent but why can’t there be an investigation so that Fairfax  and the two accusers can have an opportunity to tell their respective stories (as well as other witnesses that can corroborate). I didn’t know people could simply make statements about you and you had to immediately be forced out of public view for eternity. You need him gone today why? How does it impact your life if he leaves today or after the accusers and witnesses go on record?

Also, I know that many people sneer whenever we talk about optics, but think about this situation a bit.
A bunch of (mostly) white guys impeach and remove from office the sole black statewide officer while he says he is innocent and asks to be investigated. At the same time they do nothing to remove Northam. Some people might resent that predicament.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1320 on: February 11, 2019, 03:32:45 PM »

FFS
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1321 on: February 11, 2019, 03:58:16 PM »

Also, I know that many people sneer whenever we talk about optics, but think about this situation a bit.
A bunch of (mostly) white guys impeach and remove from office the sole black statewide officer while he says he is innocent and asks to be investigated. At the same time they do nothing to remove Northam. Some people might resent that predicament.

Those people can go pound sand as far as I’m concerned.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1322 on: February 11, 2019, 04:01:01 PM »

Well, it's not you who is going to face voters next November.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1323 on: February 11, 2019, 04:18:12 PM »

Well, it's not you who is going to face voters next November.

And other people might resent a likely rapist being treated with kid gloves by a bunch of men with the collective backbone of a cuttlefish.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1324 on: February 11, 2019, 04:28:42 PM »

Welp, there goes Tony’s string of pearls. Don’t expect a response from him for a while, he’s got to put the necklace back together.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies