Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:00:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 69826 times)
henster
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: February 28, 2019, 12:35:03 AM »

So someone got offended by a history lesson? All she literally did was hand out a bunch of cotton to students and one of them was black, nobody was singled out. I'm so tired of these social media outrage mobs who feel the need to be offended by everything.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #1376 on: February 28, 2019, 01:27:11 AM »

So someone got offended by a history lesson? All she literally did was hand out a bunch of cotton to students and one of them was black, nobody was singled out. I'm so tired of these social media outrage mobs who feel the need to be offended by everything.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #1377 on: February 28, 2019, 02:10:06 AM »

My god. What is wrong with these people? How can they be so tone deaf and gaffe prone?

this was neither tone deaf or gaffe prone. how should history be taught exactly? should everything just be whitewashed
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1378 on: February 28, 2019, 09:00:22 PM »

I think the issue with the First Lady's history lesson is more based on awkward timing than it is over-sensitivity by the people reacting to it. Had Northam not become known as that Governor who dressed up in blackface (or as a klansman, whichever one he was) this probably wouldn't be as big of a deal.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1379 on: February 28, 2019, 09:02:30 PM »

I think the issue with the First Lady's history lesson is more based on awkward timing than it is over-sensitivity by the people reacting to it. Had Northam not become known as that Governor who dressed up in blackface (or as a klansman, whichever one he was) this probably wouldn't be as big of a deal.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1380 on: February 28, 2019, 09:07:50 PM »

A piece of cotton is a history lesson now?
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1381 on: March 03, 2019, 10:08:55 PM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1382 on: March 03, 2019, 10:13:41 PM »

A piece of cotton is a history lesson now?
We should just start history at like 1992.  "in Nineteen Hundred and Ninety-Two, Clinton sailed the ocean blue.  Discovered a new world full of sleeping fatties, and lured them awake with peppermint patties."
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1383 on: March 06, 2019, 08:46:32 AM »

Virginia GOP offers $1,000 reward for photo of Herring in blackface

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/virginia-gop-offers-1000-reward-for-herring-blackface-photo/2019/03/05/93decce4-3f8e-11e9-a0d3-1210e58a94cf_story.html

The Republican Party of Virginia is offering a $1,000 reward for a photograph of Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) in blackface.

The party announced the offer Tuesday, one day after Herring said on a radio interview that he is not sure if any photos were taken when he dressed in blackface for a college party in 1980.

The offer of a reward comes during a state election year in which Virginia Republicans have made it clear that they plan to highlight recent scandals that have embroiled Herring and the state’s other two top Democrats, Gov. Ralph Northam and Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1384 on: March 06, 2019, 08:48:16 AM »

Virginia just posted in her own thread!   Cheesy
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1385 on: March 06, 2019, 08:49:51 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/virginia-gop-offers-1000-reward-for-herring-blackface-photo/2019/03/05/93decce4-3f8e-11e9-a0d3-1210e58a94cf_story.html

The Republican Party of Virginia is offering a $1,000 reward for a photograph of Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) in blackface.

The party announced the offer Tuesday, one day after Herring said on a radio interview that he is not sure if any photos were taken when he dressed in blackface for a college party in 1980.

The offer of a reward comes during a state election year in which Virginia Republicans have made it clear that they plan to highlight recent scandals that have embroiled Herring and the state’s other two top Democrats, Gov. Ralph Northam and Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax.
Are they sure they wanna play this game? Not only can it come off as politically juvenile and opportunistic, but I'm sure there are some VA Repubs with some bad photos themselves.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1386 on: March 06, 2019, 01:54:06 PM »

Really?    That's what all this fuss is over? 

To be more accurate of Virginia history she should have handed them tobacco I guess, though that would have caused an outcry for other reasons too.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1387 on: March 06, 2019, 02:29:54 PM »

Unrelated to blackface but a virginia jury convicted the security guard who shot and killed a grandfather playing pokemon go.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.insideedition.com/security-guard-23-found-guilty-killing-60-year-old-playing-pokemon-go-51179%3famp
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1388 on: March 06, 2019, 02:32:06 PM »

What's the point of this after Herring himself admitting he wore blackface?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1389 on: March 06, 2019, 02:48:07 PM »

The VA GOP would go bankrupt if they pay out that $1k
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1390 on: March 06, 2019, 06:36:34 PM »

The FL Dems would only be able to pay out a 25$ Applebee's gift card.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1391 on: March 06, 2019, 06:48:30 PM »

The FL Dems would only be able to pay out a 25$ Applebee's gift card.

Nelson can sell his moon rock to help out
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1392 on: March 06, 2019, 07:45:51 PM »

Probably to parade around in tv ads next to Northam's yearbook page.

If the picture was found and went public, it would also create a new negative news cycle for Virginia Democrats. So there is that.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1393 on: March 06, 2019, 08:11:56 PM »

It especially wouldn't matter since Northam ultimately survived his blackface/KKK scandal, in part, thanks to the 24 hour news cycle. The same would definitely be true of Herring who even preempted such a thing coming out.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1394 on: April 01, 2019, 09:28:00 AM »

"I was so ashamed. I was so humiliated on-- on so many levels. Like, here I was this woman working at a rape crisis center, you know, trying to-- like, as a survivor speaker, trying to empower survivors of sexual assault. And it was like I had just walked into a trap," Tyson said, adding that she is a survivor of incest.

"Was Justin aware of this in your past?" King asked.

"Yes, actually," Tyson said.

"You felt comfortable enough sharing that with him even though you had just met him?" King asked.

"Here's the thing. What I was doing for the rape crisis center was actually probably the biggest part of my life at that time," Tyson said.

"Do you feel he took advantage of you knowing your past?" King asked.

"In retrospect, yes," Tyson said.

CBS interview with Meredith airs tomorrow.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1395 on: April 01, 2019, 09:30:36 AM »

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1396 on: April 01, 2019, 09:31:02 AM »

Sadly, CBS is Fox News Lite these days.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1397 on: April 06, 2019, 08:39:29 PM »

At the mountaintop.

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1398 on: April 06, 2019, 09:38:44 PM »

It's only been two months, and I have totally forgotten about this.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1399 on: April 06, 2019, 09:44:17 PM »

It's only been two months, and I have totally forgotten about this.

BUT VA-LEG LIKELY R IN BOTH HOUSES 2019 BCUZ SANDALS
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies