Meanwhile in Brunei
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:49:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Meanwhile in Brunei
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Meanwhile in Brunei  (Read 1499 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2019, 06:42:46 AM »
« edited: April 02, 2019, 08:04:11 PM by Meclazine »

Geez,

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/03/27/asia/brunei-anti-lgbt-stoning-law-intl/index.html

That is harsh.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 07:44:54 AM »

Sad to see countries not only not go forwards, but actively go backwards on the issue Sad

What's wrong with you Brunei?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 09:30:33 AM »

Sad to see countries not only not go forwards, but actively go backwards on the issue Sad

It is an actual divine-rights Monarchy. That is the only reason why this has happened, and that is why we must be grateful and supportive of bringing back the old Republican movement that removed them.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 12:52:01 PM »

I dunno, maybe that Islam thing?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 12:53:09 PM »

Brunei hadn't carried an execution since 1957 (while still a British protectorate), and similar measures were adopted into the law sometime ago, so until they actually go forward with executing somebody there's little practical difference.

Speaking as somebody who knows little about Brunei, what are the odds it's not just such talk as before?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 12:55:51 PM »

I dunno, maybe that Islam thing?

If anything Brunei is an exception from the rule, standing in contrast with Indonesia and Malaysia (which, I believe, either repealed or is about to repeal death penalty altogether).
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 05:47:45 PM »

Add Brunei to the list of countries LGBT people should avoid. We (I’m also team 🏳️‍🌈) need some Rainbow Book, a la the Green Book.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 07:36:20 PM »

The Sultan is one of the world's more under-appreciated monstrosity heads of state. 
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 12:06:41 AM »

Not only homosexual people are concerned with the newly-adopted Sharia law, so are thieves and burglars; their extremities will be amputated with immediate affect if convicted.
Ironic fun fact: Hassanal Bolkiah's forename translates as "hate anal" in German...  Roll Eyes
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 12:34:21 AM »

A gay acquaintance of mine from Brunei who is studying abroad is rather distressed by this. According to him, there's a fair bit of apprehension and uncertainty on if the law will only apply to Muslims or to the entire populace.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 03:05:44 AM »

A gay acquaintance of mine from Brunei who is studying abroad is rather distressed by this. According to him, there's a fair bit of apprehension and uncertainty on if the law will only apply to Muslims or to the entire populace.

Would he be eligible for asylum? He should be imo.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 05:42:55 AM »

The Sultan is one of the world's more under-appreciated monstrosity heads of state. 

Once widely cited as "the richest man in the world", I suppose he has been overtaken in that these days?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 07:52:31 AM »

I heard the Sultan tried to 'reassure' everybody by saying it would be for Muslims only, yeah, they'll appreciate the special treatment

The point would be to know why does this pops up all of a sudden
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 08:55:24 AM »

I heard the Sultan tried to 'reassure' everybody by saying it would be for Muslims only, yeah, they'll appreciate the special treatment

The point would be to know why does this pops up all of a sudden

Hassanal Bolkiah also banned public celebrations of Christmas in 2015, including wearing hats or clothes that resemble Santa Claus. The ban affects only local Muslims.[9] Christians are still allowed to celebrate Christmas.

Interesting.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 09:00:54 AM »

I'd suggest homosexual Muslims in Brunei just say they ain't Muslim no more and be ok, but apparently apostasy is a reason for the state to murder you too....so.....GTFO I guess is the best course of action.  And then follow this guy's advice until you leave the country.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 09:58:47 AM »

I'd suggest homosexual Muslims in Brunei just say they ain't Muslim no more and be ok, but apparently apostasy is a reason for the state to murder you too...

Catch 22.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 01:59:03 PM »

Would he be eligible for asylum? He should be imo.

He's trying to. He's not Muslim so this law should not technically affect him, but he's(understandably) afraid this will eventually be rolled out for the entire populace.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 03:03:53 PM »

Once widely cited as "the richest man in the world", I suppose he has been overtaken in that these days?

Jeff Bezos holds the title these days - although his divorce may knock him off that spot.

The Sultan isn't even in the top 20 now.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 09:05:23 PM »

Sadly no joke: HateAnal Bolkiah is a recipient of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany. ☹️ The Federal President's Office, however, doesn't see any reason to divest the sultan of the decoration, which was bestowed upon him on March 30, 1998, by archconservative President Roman Herzog on the occasion of an official visit. 🤬
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 05:44:40 AM »

Sadly no joke: HateAnal Bolkiah is a recipient of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany. ☹️ The Federal President's Office, however, doesn't see any reason to divest the sultan of the decoration, which was bestowed upon him on March 30, 1998, by archconservative President Roman Herzog on the occasion of an official visit. 🤬

The whole idea of giving decorations of merit to foreign leaders like they were pieces of candy has always been ridiculous.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 07:32:16 AM »

Jeff Bezos holds the title these days - although his divorce may knock him off that spot.

The Sultan isn't even in the top 20 now.

Vladamir Putin is the wealthiest man on the planet.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 10:23:56 AM »

I wonder if the Sultan is actually determined to go through with this all the way, given his business interests abroad can suffer from the fallout.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 09:37:40 AM »

I'm not sure what's so surprising here.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 08:39:18 AM »

As several state are planning on decriminalizing homosexuality, the sultan isn't going to distance himself from his plans.

in April, Sultan Hassanal wrote a four-page letter to the European parliament, defending his decision to start imposing death by stoning as a punishment for gay sex, claiming convictions will be rare as it requires two men of “high moral standing and piety” to be witnesses. He asked the MEPs for “tolerance, respect and understanding” with regard to the country’s desire to preserve its traditional values and “family lineage”. Poor guy! Roll Eyes

But what's much more interesting is that Perez Hilton has outed the sultan's second-born son, Prince Azim.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 05:31:16 PM »

As several state are planning on decriminalizing homosexuality, the sultan isn't going to distance himself from his plans.

in April, Sultan Hassanal wrote a four-page letter to the European parliament, defending his decision to start imposing death by stoning as a punishment for gay sex, claiming convictions will be rare as it requires two men of “high moral standing and piety” to be witnesses. He asked the MEPs for “tolerance, respect and understanding” with regard to the country’s desire to preserve its traditional values and “family lineage”. Poor guy! Roll Eyes

"Respect my right to kill people, you intolerant bastards!"
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies