End Plastic Bag Pollution Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:46:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  End Plastic Bag Pollution Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: End Plastic Bag Pollution Bill (Law'd)  (Read 5154 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2008, 12:02:57 PM »
« edited: November 18, 2008, 01:54:02 PM by Lewis "Scooter" Trondheim »

End Plastic Bag Pollution Bill

1. A levy of $0.20 shall be made on the sale of all plastic bags within the Republic of Atlasia to take effect 6 weeks after the ratification of this Act.

2. For the purposes of this legislation, 'plastic bag’ shall be defined in as a bag 'made wholly or in part of plastic'.

3. Any and all funds raised from this levy shall be directed towards an 'environmental fund'.

4. The expenditure of monies from the environmental fund shall be made on projects dedicated to improving the environment of Atlasia as may be approved by the President of Atlasia, or such persons as he may appoint to do same.

Sponsor: Jas
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 12:19:23 PM »

This is a rather interesting idea, but I do want to press the issue that paper bags honestly aren't that much better.  They decompose, sure, but still take up resources and space in landfills.

Anyone interested in adding paper bags to the bill?

And a clarification as to what plastic bags we're talking about?  Are we talking about those at grocery stores to carry home our purchases?  Ziploc bags we use to take our lunches to work?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 02:27:31 PM »

This is a rather interesting idea, but I do want to press the issue that paper bags honestly aren't that much better.  They decompose, sure, but still take up resources and space in landfills.

And a clarification as to what plastic bags we're talking about?  Are we talking about those at grocery stores to carry home our purchases?  Ziploc bags we use to take our lunches to work?
I know my local supermarket (a ShopRite) offers a 2 cent credit for paper bags
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 02:29:48 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2008, 02:50:55 PM by Sen. DWTL »

Amendent to change Section 3 to read:

3. Any and all funds raised from this levy shall be directed towards an 'environmental fund'. improvements in mass transits. 

Amendment to change Section 4 to read:
4. The expenditure of monies from the environmentalbag tax shall be made on projects dedicated to improving the environment mass transit systems of Atlasia as may be approved by the President of Atlasia, or such persons as he may appoint to do same. citizens of each region

And add a Section 5:
The fund shall be run by each region individually

[/quote]
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 06:39:22 PM »

I can't speak to paper bags unfortunately. The use of paper bags is not something I've had any real experience of; nor can I speak to the environmental impact of same.

My primary target would be those used to carry groceries but generally to encourage movement away from disposable plastic bag use in favour of heavy reusable bags or other alternatives.

I'm quite willing to consider exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 08:15:56 PM »

I'd like to offer an amendment

1. A levy of $0.10 shall be made on the sale of all plastic bags within the Republic of Atlasia to take effect 6 months after the ratification of this Act.

2. For the purposes of this legislation, 'plastic bag’ shall be defined in as a bag 'made wholly or mostly of plastic'.

3. Any and all funds raised from this levy shall be directed towards an 'environmental fund'.

4. The expenditure of monies from the environmental fund shall be made on projects dedicated to improving the environment of Atlasia as may be approved by the President of Atlasia, or such persons as he may appoint to do same.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 08:22:24 PM »

I don't think giving the Prez a blank check to spend the money at will is a good idea. It might even violate the concept of separation of powers, assuming such a concept is embraced by Atlasia's fundamental document. Why not use the money to subsidize alternative fuels or something? 
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 06:31:43 AM »

I don't think giving the Prez a blank check to spend the money at will is a good idea. It might even violate the concept of separation of powers, assuming such a concept is embraced by Atlasia's fundamental document. Why not use the money to subsidize alternative fuels or something? 

I'm not really that pushed on what the funds should be used for preferably towards something environmentally positive or else to general government funds. (I'd considered adding a section asking that the use of the funds be reported on periodically as a condition for continued receipt of the same funds.) Feel free to submit something for consideration.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 06:38:36 AM »

1. A levy of $0.10 shall be made on the sale of all plastic bags within the Republic of Atlasia to take effect 6 months after the ratification of this Act.

2. For the purposes of this legislation, 'plastic bag’ shall be defined in as a bag 'made wholly or mostly of plastic'.

I'll vote against the reduction to $0.10, it's probably too nominal a charge.
I'm open to extending the timeframe for introduction by friendly amendment, subject to some reasoning being offered as to why it would be preferable.
Not sure what the 3rd amendment is trying to address.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 02:04:02 PM »

Obviously the amendments on the floor need a little more debate before going to any votes...

meanwhile I would urge the esteemed Senator who is down with the left to reword his amendment slightly, as it currently reads (in part):

Amendment to change Section 3 to read:

"3. Any and all funds raised from this levy shall be directed towards toward improvements in mass transits. 

[snip]

And add a Section 5:
"The fund shall be run be each region individually"
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 02:51:33 PM »

Amendment typos fixed for Lewis Smiley

Anyone have thoughts on my amendments?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 02:54:11 PM »

It would probably make sense to specify (at least approximately) the process by which each region's citizens would decide what to spend the money on.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 02:59:39 PM »

It would probably make sense to specify (at least approximately) the process by which each region's citizens would decide what to spend the money on.
My point was really to make it broad and allow the regions to decide, I think is not bad but doing it on a federal level is
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »

My point was really to make it broad and allow the regions to decide, I think is not bad but doing it on a federal level is

The spoils are used for revenue sharing eh?  Maybe we should just use the money to reduce the national debt.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 10:41:45 AM »

Amendent to change Section 3 to read:

3. Any and all funds raised from this levy shall be directed towards an 'environmental fund'. improvements in mass transits. 

Amendment to change Section 4 to read:
4. The expenditure of monies from the environmentalbag tax shall be made on projects dedicated to improving the environment mass transit systems of Atlasia as may be approved by the President of Atlasia, or such persons as he may appoint to do same. citizens of each region

And add a Section 5:
The fund shall be run by each region individually

The vote is on the amendment (Sensei's amendment to come up afterwards).

Please vote aye, nay or abstain.

Nay.

We voted in new money for mass transits already. My vote is nothing to do with the regional thingy, nor with the amendment's sponsor.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 10:46:36 AM »

Nay
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 10:53:57 AM »

Nay
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 06:35:58 AM »

Aye
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 06:45:38 AM »

non
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 02:08:17 PM »

nay
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 03:54:17 PM »

no sir
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 04:03:20 PM »

This amendment has failed.
Vote count:
Aye 1 (Dwtl)
Nay 6 (Lewis, Jas, Torie, Al, Bacon, Sensei)
did not vote 3 (Verily, Meeker, Culture)

The vote is on the amendment. Please vote aye, nay or abstain.

Nay.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 05:06:15 PM »

Nay
Јas
Jas