Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:44:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 78
Author Topic: Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]  (Read 301854 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: September 08, 2008, 12:13:16 PM »

That sample was weaker for McCain than yesterday's... maybe even Friday too (I'm too lazy to do the math.)

John McCain is collapsing

This sample is something like McCain +4, I think.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #751 on: September 08, 2008, 12:15:29 PM »

The last day is McCain +3.6, given various assumptions.

The McCain tsunami may be receding. 

(4.2+7.2+X)/3=5
x=3.6

Someone should keep up my little formula. I am going to be gone for 10 days. Smiley

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #752 on: September 08, 2008, 12:18:51 PM »

Monday, September 8

McCain - 49% (+1)
Obama - 44% (-1)

Slightly better than expected.
Do you pick up your paycheck from the local RNC campaign office, or do they mail it to you?

McCain's lead will probably evaporate as the week wears on, though he should have some residual bounce until the debates.

Considering I expected a four point lead, slightly better than expected.  You see the number 5 is a bit higher than the number 4.

"Boy, Obama is really walking away with this one."  Wink  (Ah, that is called sarcasm.)

Monday, September 8

McCain - 49% (+1)
Obama - 44% (-1)

Slightly better than expected.

Really? Not as bad as I was expecting...

I called it a 4 point bounce on one of the polls.  It's slightly better.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #753 on: September 08, 2008, 12:34:25 PM »

That sample was weaker for McCain than yesterday's... maybe even Friday too (I'm too lazy to do the math.)

John McCain is collapsing

The bounce is probably going, but this isn't a collapse by any stretch of the imagination.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #754 on: September 08, 2008, 12:41:57 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2008, 01:11:58 PM by jmfcst »

I think independents are going to start leaking towards McCain.  The Palin pick has legs.  And as the smears start to subside and she continues showing she's competent, more independents will be drawn to her.  Having survived the first week, the Palin train has left the station.  She also needs to start making the late night talk show rounds.

And with Palin getting a lot of attention, it's going to be hard for Obama to win news cycles from now to election day. Being gaffe prone and flip-flopping doesn't help him either.

Obama needs the following things to win:
1) no new international crisis until election day (Russia, Iran, etc)
2) Obama has to at least tie McCain in the debates.  It's likely neither Obama or McCain will score a knockout punch during the debates.
3) Biden needs to win his debate.  If Palin comes anywhere close, expect more women to drift her way.  The Biden/Palin debate is probably the biggest risk to the Obama campaign.  A Palin win could very well end this campaign, especially if she does so without coming across as being too rabid (more of a barracuda and less of an attack dog).
RJ
« Reply #755 on: September 08, 2008, 12:42:59 PM »

McCain leads by 5 today and lead by 3 yesterday. Rasmussen is only reporting 2 as of today. Anyone think this is his peak?

I'll say no right now but it won't get a whole lot bigger(perhaps as much as 6 and it'll be dead even  before long.)  After listening to the media, I expected McCain to have an insurmountable lead.
KeyKeeper
Turner22
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 2.09

« Reply #756 on: September 08, 2008, 12:54:42 PM »

So far Sen. McCain has gained 7% since Sen. Obama's peak, while Sen. Obama has drop 6% in the Gallup poll.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #757 on: September 08, 2008, 02:07:04 PM »

Obviously very good news for McCain.

Worth noting that Carter got a big bounce out of the Dem convention in 1980 and had the lead immediately thereafter, as well.

Carter's "big bounce" was 1 point on Gallup, 39 to 38.  I checked the numbers a few days ago

Gallup's own website says a 10 point bounce.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #758 on: September 08, 2008, 02:21:03 PM »

Worth noting that Carter got a big bounce out of the Dem convention in 1980 and had the lead immediately thereafter, as well.

Carter's "big bounce" was 1 point on Gallup, 39 to 38.  I checked the numbers a few days ago

I checked the Gallup poll of mid August. quoted in Presidential Elections and American Politics third edition, 1984, p. 161.

You are looking at the GOP bounce disappearing, because after the RNC Reagan was up by 16 points (R 45, C 29).  After the DNC, Carter led, 39 to 38, or +1.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #759 on: September 08, 2008, 04:25:27 PM »

lol. Only John F. Kerry managed to pull off the negative bounce.

Classic.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #760 on: September 08, 2008, 05:14:46 PM »

Classic.

I actually predicted that in 2004. Fritz, an old forum member who is starting to make a bit of a comeback, basically called me crazy for saying that. I'll never forget it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #761 on: September 08, 2008, 05:17:27 PM »

Classic.

he talked about Vietnam for an hour.  what can you expect?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #762 on: September 08, 2008, 05:18:01 PM »

Since McCain is almost getting a majority of the vote, I'm pretty satisfied.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #763 on: September 08, 2008, 05:21:02 PM »

He shouldn't have let his wife speak under the influence.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #764 on: September 08, 2008, 06:59:16 PM »

I checked the Gallup poll of mid August. quoted in Presidential Elections and American Politics third edition, 1984, p. 161.

You are looking at the GOP bounce disappearing, because after the RNC Reagan was up by 16 points (R 45, C 29).  After the DNC, Carter led, 39 to 38, or +1.

Well, I'm assuming that's the 10 point Carter bounce Gallup is referring to. Going from 29 to 39.

You're right that it's far from the same situation as this year, just pointing out that incumbent party candidates can still get big convention bounces and lead in the polls even when their party is insanely unpopular.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #765 on: September 08, 2008, 07:24:01 PM »

Well, I'm assuming that's the 10 point Carter bounce Gallup is referring to. Going from 29 to 39.

You're right that it's far from the same situation as this year, just pointing out that incumbent party candidates can still get big convention bounces and lead in the polls even when their party is insanely unpopular.

The thing is, neither Carter nor the Democrats were insanely unpopular at that point.  It was just a post GOP convention bounce versus the DNC bounce.
RJ
« Reply #766 on: September 08, 2008, 09:33:02 PM »

The thing is, neither Carter nor the Democrats were insanely unpopular at that point.  It was just a post GOP convention bounce versus the DNC bounce.

I couldn't believe it when I read it that Carter got a 10 point bounce in 1980 after the DNC convention. I was very young when this election took place, but there's 1 thing I remember: Iran Hostage Crisis. That thing really did Carter in.

Among other things that I don't remember but read about is stagflation. A new word in the English language (at that point in time) had to be invented since economists believed high inflation and unemployment could not be attained in the same time period. Under Carter, it became reality. There was also Carter's energy conservation, which was a colossal failure. Carter also almost collapsed and lost in 76'. There was also the Kennedy factor when he trashed Carter in his concession speech in 1980.

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #767 on: September 08, 2008, 09:50:26 PM »

Not as unpopular as Bush, that's true. But low enough that it should've been obvious that Reagan was likely to win.

Gallup poll Carter approval ratings

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #768 on: September 08, 2008, 11:45:26 PM »

Not as unpopular as Bush, that's true. But low enough that it should've been obvious that Reagan was likely to win.

Actually less popular than Bush is now, at least in terms of who'd the voter vote for.  After the RNC, it was Carter 29, Reagan 45.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #769 on: September 09, 2008, 09:12:46 AM »

Actually less popular than Bush is now, at least in terms of who'd the voter vote for.  After the RNC, it was Carter 29, Reagan 45.

Have we seen a poll of Bush v Obama? No.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #770 on: September 09, 2008, 12:08:12 PM »

Tuesday, September 9

McCain - 49% (nc)
Obama - 44% (nc)

McCain led Obama by five percentage points in Monday's report on the strength of a six-point increase in the percentage of voters choosing him on the presidential trial heat following the Republican National Convention. McCain's 49% support in today's three-day rolling average, based on Sept. 6-8 interviewing, is unchanged from Monday's report and matches McCain's high mark in Gallup tracking to date.

Gallup polling in recent days has been quite stable, showing McCain ahead of Obama by similar margins in each of the last four individual days of nightly tracking. McCain also had a 4-point lead over Obama among registered voters in the separate USA Today/Gallup Poll conducted this past weekend.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #771 on: September 09, 2008, 12:14:01 PM »

Ya, last night must have been McCain +4 or so, as well, similar to the sample that dropped off.  I think Sunday's sample was slightly more McCain favorable, so it might move down a point tomorrow, depending on what new result we get tomorrow.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #772 on: September 09, 2008, 01:48:14 PM »

(7.2+3.6+X)/3=5
x=4.2
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #773 on: September 09, 2008, 01:49:59 PM »

If Gallup says the margins have been similar the last four nights, then the 7.2 might not be as high, and the others might not be as low.  Just FYI - it's hard to get it exact.  Of course, maybe 7.2 to them is the same as 3.6.  Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #774 on: September 09, 2008, 01:56:13 PM »

I just used the 538 numbers from back when, and rolled forward using my simple little equation, which any high school student in the top 10% or so could do.  Smiley . I thought Nat Silver was a genius!  What happened?  Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies