Italy 2013: The official thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:49:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italy 2013: The official thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 81
Author Topic: Italy 2013: The official thread  (Read 233567 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: January 04, 2013, 04:04:19 PM »

Monti was on La7 today. Nothing particular, but it's really obvious a man like him, with all his qualities, has nothing to do in electoral politics.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #601 on: January 04, 2013, 04:06:53 PM »

You can say what you want but there is literally no way in hell Monti can be labelled as anything other than right-wing.
Isn't the left fairly stable at ~35% in Italy, but never wins?

Hardly ever wins? Yes. Wink

However, the combined forces of the left are above 35% now. The main center-left party alone is at roughly 35% at this moment.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #602 on: January 04, 2013, 04:11:38 PM »

Actually, the left won 2 of the last 4 elections. Tongue Obviously, winning 50% of the time against Berlusconi isn't exactly something to be proud of... And obviously, the left is unable to govern after winning election.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #603 on: January 04, 2013, 04:13:59 PM »

Most people who have won elections in Italy have looked that dull. Dull men sometimes poll well when there's a sense of crisis.

Well he's aggressively denying what his political project actually is (an attempt to return to 'business as usual' as it was before Tangentopoli; the political model of a dominant mildly conservative centrist party with a strong whiff of incense acting, around which other coalition partners rotate, re-position and trade places), which is pretty much the definition of dishonesty.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #604 on: January 04, 2013, 04:22:19 PM »

Actually, the left won 2 of the last 4 elections. Tongue Obviously, winning 50% of the time against Berlusconi isn't exactly something to be proud of... And obviously, the left is unable to govern after winning election.

Two out of how many since the end of World War II? Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #605 on: January 04, 2013, 04:29:18 PM »

Two out of how many since the end of World War II? Wink

That's not fair. First Republic elections didn't really have "winners" or "losers".
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #606 on: January 04, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »

You can say what you want but there is literally no way in hell Monti can be labelled as anything other than right-wing.
Isn't the left fairly stable at ~35% in Italy, but never wins?

Hardly ever wins? Yes. Wink

However, the combined forces of the left are above 35% now. The main center-left party alone is at roughly 35% at this moment.
So I am guessing center-right or coalition established social democracy in Italy then?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #607 on: January 04, 2013, 05:20:29 PM »

Christian Democrats, of which there are right leaners and left leaners, ruled Italy with very brief interruption from 1946 - 1994. I said the center-left has only won two elections, not that they didn't have an impact. Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #608 on: January 04, 2013, 05:24:01 PM »

Christian Democrats, of which there are right leaners and left leaners, ruled Italy with very brief interruption from 1946 - 1994. I said the center-left has only won two elections, not that they didn't have an impact. Wink

No, with no interruptions at all. They had to give up the PM post a couple of times towards the end, but that's all.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #609 on: January 04, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »

No, with no interruptions at all. They had to give up the PM post a couple of times towards the end, but that's all.

Well, the PM post was what I was referring to the when I said "brief interruption" but point taken.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #610 on: January 04, 2013, 06:53:54 PM »

Not that you care about this, but anyways: I'm supporting Bersani and the PD (would be a SeL voter until today, but I think Bersani will make a good PM).

About Monti... poor guy, he's too smart and too boring to take part in a campaign. I hope we had someone like Monti in Spain, instead of Rajoy. But he's not a centrist. He's clearly a conservative, a sane conservative (not like Berlusconi or our PP politicians).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #611 on: January 04, 2013, 06:59:26 PM »

Not that you care about this, but anyways: I'm supporting Bersani and the PD (would be a SeL voter until today, but I think Bersani will make a good PM).

A vote for SEL is a vote for Bersani for PM, though. Wink
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #612 on: January 04, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »

What's SEL done today to lose your vote, are you saying you'd vote for them if the election was today?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #613 on: January 04, 2013, 09:35:09 PM »

I know a vote for SEL is a vote for Bersani, but I'm afraid he'll get less than 30%, and he needs a strong mandate in order not to call for elections in 2 or 3 years.
And it's also because if PD doesn't win big this time, it'll have effects here in Spain, too, with socialdemocracy being replaced by parties like IU in Spain, BE in Portugal... So, even if my favourite pol is Vendola, Bersani gets a B-, and I can vote for a B- Smiley Other thing that I hate is populism, and Bersani doesn't seem to be a populist (more in the Gordon Brown mold).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #614 on: January 04, 2013, 09:42:05 PM »

You really think deciding between SEL and PD would affect his mandate? Italians, correct me if I'm wrong but I assume it's the size of the left coalition's win that matters for a mandate, not just PD's showing. Bersani will have other issues to worry about given the times the country is living in and pointing to PD's showing isn't going to matter all that much. And whether SEL gets 5% or 10%, they're still going to be able to hold Bersani hostage if they want during the government.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #615 on: January 04, 2013, 10:34:38 PM »

You really think deciding between SEL and PD would affect his mandate? Italians, correct me if I'm wrong but I assume it's the size of the left coalition's win that matters for a mandate, not just PD's showing. Bersani will have other issues to worry about given the times the country is living in and pointing to PD's showing isn't going to matter all that much. And whether SEL gets 5% or 10%, they're still going to be able to hold Bersani hostage if they want during the government.

Yes, it'd affect his mandate (IMO) because SEL would have more power in his Government, so Bersani would be a "slave" of ecologism like Artur Mas in Catalonia has became the "slave" of leftist independentists. If PD has a good election night and SEL a not-so-good one, Bersani would have an easier time to govern, don't you think? He'd be able to execute his platform, with some concessions to SEL, but not becoming their slave Smiley
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #616 on: January 04, 2013, 10:37:36 PM »

Fair enough - the rise of IU and BE, and SEL holding significant influence are something I'd wish for, so I can see why we wouldn't be voting in the same manner.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #617 on: January 04, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »

I don't think it's really a matter of SEL having a "good or not so good" showing. They'll either land on the low end (around 5%) or the high end (around 10%) and I don't think their placement on either end will really affect PD's mandate (if there is one, of course).
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #618 on: January 05, 2013, 05:45:11 AM »

It seems SEL has settled at around 5% right now in most poll, hasn't it?

After some protests after releasing their candidates lists, they made some changes in Tuscany and Veneto. The top man in the Senate's list in Tuscany moves to Veneto's top spot. Number 2 was already running also in Calabria and she will run just there. So number 2 and 3 (football manager Ulivieri) will become 1 and 2. They were the winners of primaries and were relegated to unwinnable positions. SEL have 1 safe seat in Tuscany at the Senate and a second if they perform well.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #619 on: January 05, 2013, 08:02:41 AM »

Lega basically made it clear today they'll stand behind Berlusconi. LOL Maroni, so much for the "new Lega"... Roll Eyes Now they deserve to get under 2%.

It seems SEL has settled at around 5% right now in most poll, hasn't it?

Between 5 and 6%, yes (sadly Sad).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #620 on: January 05, 2013, 08:47:02 AM »

Lega basically made it clear today they'll stand behind Berlusconi.
Sad

So hoping they'd go alone. (Which might actually have been the right choice to maximize their own vote... but with the law being what it is...)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #621 on: January 05, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »

Damn

Well, I just saw a friend tweet that Lega is polling at 3.9% and they'd be "out of parliament." Speaking to Lewis' point, could it be that their agreement to run with PdL will cost them a spot, not reaching the coalition-required threshold?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #622 on: January 05, 2013, 09:38:04 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2013, 09:40:54 AM by Antonio V »

Lega basically made it clear today they'll stand behind Berlusconi.
Sad

So hoping they'd go alone. (Which might actually have been the right choice to maximize their own vote... but with the law being what it is...)

That's disgusting indeed. This party has raised hypocrisy into a full-fledged art.

Anyway, the coalition threshold is 2%, and even though they should, I have a hard time seeing Lega fall below that level. And even if they did, there is that utterly ridiculous "first party below the threshold" clause... The only way they could get shut out of parliament would be for Lega to get less votes than La Destra, with La Destra getting less than 2%... Very unlikely. Sad Hopefully we'll see a 2-3 point drop from their current 5-6% standing, however.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #623 on: January 05, 2013, 09:52:43 AM »

Yeah, that "first party below the threshold" clause is probably the most ridiculous requirement in any electoral system.
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #624 on: January 05, 2013, 11:02:11 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2013, 11:50:41 AM by Andrea »

It looks like PSI is negotiating some names to be put in Bersani's quota of candidates within PD lists. So I suppose they won't field their own list leaving Tabacci as the first (only) party below threshold in the CL.LOL!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 81  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies