Saturday Massacre: Pelosi, Israel, Wasserman Schultz call for Weiner to resign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:58:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Saturday Massacre: Pelosi, Israel, Wasserman Schultz call for Weiner to resign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17
Author Topic: Saturday Massacre: Pelosi, Israel, Wasserman Schultz call for Weiner to resign  (Read 56330 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: June 11, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »

Nancy Pelosi too!

Will Weiner make it through the weekend?

Probably. He is SO enamored with the sound of his voice.

and he'll make a fine MSNBC commentator in the near future
CitizenX
Rookie
United States

« Reply #351 on: June 11, 2011, 01:03:06 PM »

Nancy Pelosi too!

Two words... Larry Craig.  Just about anyone can make it through their Congressional term if they have the will power.  There is no mechanism in Congress to expel a member for consensual sexting in less than a year and a half.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #352 on: June 11, 2011, 01:06:01 PM »

Nancy Pelosi too!

Two words... Larry Craig.  Just about anyone can make it through their Congressional term if they have the will power.  There is no mechanism in Congress to expel a member for consensual sexting in less than a year and a half.

Of course, one has to have the motivation to pull a Larry Craig, which I'm not sure if Weiner has.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #353 on: June 11, 2011, 01:33:23 PM »

Democrats really are a bunch of back-stabbing cowards, huh?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #354 on: June 11, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »

Nancy Pelosi too!

I don't see Weiner resigning, short of indictment or expulsion from the House.  He's too arrogant.

It's nice of Nancy Pelosi to change her mind in 24 hours.  Yesterday, whether Weiner should resign was up to Weiner's constituents.  Today, it's not.  The threat of Weiner ending up on an episode of Dateline with Chris Hansen changes things, I suppose.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #355 on: June 11, 2011, 01:39:11 PM »

One observer noted: "This might be the best/most effective coordinated message to come from House Democrats all Congress."
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #356 on: June 11, 2011, 01:41:29 PM »

If Weiner was a senator coming from a state with a Republican governor, then I'm sure his colleagues would have been in much more forgiving mood.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #357 on: June 11, 2011, 01:44:44 PM »

With DWS and Pelosi against him at this point, I'd say he's pretty much toast.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #358 on: June 11, 2011, 01:46:51 PM »

One observer noted: "This might be the best/most effective coordinated message to come from House Democrats all Congress."

Exactly.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #359 on: June 11, 2011, 01:49:09 PM »

BREAKING: Anthony Weiner headed to check himself into a treatment center, according to two senior Democratic officials.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #360 on: June 11, 2011, 01:50:44 PM »

Photography addiction treatment?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #361 on: June 11, 2011, 01:51:50 PM »

Weiner should have done this immediately after his press conference.  He would have gotten more sympathy.  Now, it looks like he's trying to hide.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #362 on: June 11, 2011, 02:44:27 PM »

Remember when this was just another right wing conspiracy?

Thanks for the laughs, Anthony.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #363 on: June 11, 2011, 02:52:27 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2011, 03:06:33 PM by Sic Semper Tyrannis »

What the f-ck?

Weiner seems like a great Congressperson.  He shouldn't resign over a f-cking picture of his dick.  Pelosi is a tard.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #364 on: June 11, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »

Pelosi has more dignity and respect than Weiner will ever have, especially have this debacle. Smiley
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #365 on: June 11, 2011, 03:22:58 PM »

What the f-ck?

Weiner seems like a great Congressperson.  He shouldn't resign over a f-cking picture of his dick.  Pelosi is a tard.

Not sure if I would outright call him a great Congressperson but yeah I agree.  This is Child's F***ing Play compared to what a lot of other guys (and maybe a few gals) have got away with in the past.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #366 on: June 11, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2011, 03:32:32 PM by cinyc »

Not sure if I would outright call him a great Congressperson but yeah I agree.  This is Child's F***ing Play compared to what a lot of other guys (and maybe a few gals) have got away with in the past.

I think you're missing the part where Weiner claimed he was hacked. attacked anyone in the media who dared ask him simple questions and blamed his political opponents for his own scandal, causing his allies to stick out their necks to defend him and get burned.  It's not just about the lewd photos - it's about the lies and coverup.

Now, Weiner claims his private messages to a minor were not explicit or lewd.  But, given his past history of lying about everything, why should anyone believe him?  That's Weiner's biggest problem - his credibility is totally shot.

If I were a Democrat, I'd think it's well past time for Weiner to go in order to get rid of the bad press and distractions.   As a Republican, I'd like to see him go, but don't really care if the circus continues for a while.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #367 on: June 11, 2011, 03:50:21 PM »

Not sure if I would outright call him a great Congressperson but yeah I agree.  This is Child's F***ing Play compared to what a lot of other guys (and maybe a few gals) have got away with in the past.

I think you're missing the part where Weiner claimed he was hacked. attacked anyone in the media who dared ask him simple questions and blamed his political opponents for his own scandal, causing his few Congressional allies to stick out their necks to defend him and get burned.  It's not just about the lewd photos - it's about the lies and coverup.

Now, Weiner claims his private messages to a minor were not explicit or lewd.  But, given his past history of lying about everything, why should anyone believe him?  That's Weiner's biggest problem - his credibility is totally shot.

If I were a Democrat, I'd think it's well past time for Weiner to go in order to get rid of the bad press and distractions.   As a Republican, I'd like to see him go, but don't really care if the circus continues for a while.

Meh I admit that I haven't really kept up with the scandal as much as I should (been busy past few weeks) so I might be behind on all of the details.  From a tactical view I agree, his backtracking on the controversy would likely cost the Democrats some momentum.  It would be in their best interest to distance themselves from Anthony Weiner but he has nothing to lose by staying in office.  He is a Democrat from New York City after all.
Personally I don't think dick issues should disqualify somebody from staying in office, but that's just me.  I admit that questions of his overall honesty on a host of issues might be up for debate (which was a big point of the whole controversy with Clinton on the Monica Lewinsky controversy) but I don't think this is enough for me to say "hey man step down".
I admit, I'm not really decided much one way or another.  I don't care about sex scandals but I also don't approve of lying so if he keeps on keeping on with the lies I might join the calls for him to resign.
milhouse24
« Reply #368 on: June 11, 2011, 05:02:45 PM »

LOLZ, the only reason they're calling for his resignation is because their Monthly Fundraising has amounted to ZERO.  All their donors are complaining about Weiner and what a liar he is, etc. 

The Republicans Want Weiner to stay in office just like Mark Foley became a lightening rod for online sexual deviancy and predatory behavior.  All the Christian conservatives will be donating to the RNC to get the sexual deviants out of office.  Just as Dubya said he was "going to restore morality to the oval office and give it a good cleaning" - it works for both parties. 

Vitter got lucky because he had 6 years to ride it out and his constituents didn't care after a few years or just plain forgot. 
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #369 on: June 11, 2011, 05:21:23 PM »

Yep. Pretty disgusting. This entire debacle is insane and I cannot believe the double standard.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #370 on: June 11, 2011, 05:27:34 PM »

The 'treatment' is basically castration.  No testicles allowed in the new right-wing america.  Or weiners.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #371 on: June 11, 2011, 07:13:24 PM »

What the f-ck?

The fact that he does his own Twitter and such is enough for me to at least think more highly of him than, say, Pelosi.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #372 on: June 11, 2011, 11:23:23 PM »

I think this story is a great example of how media has change and how the internet has disrupted the ability of the Democrats and the media to bury and/or plant a story.

In 1960 if CBC had run something equivalent to the 2004 Dan Rather fabrications and forgeries about Bush, there would have been nothing anybody could have done about it - there was no offsetting megaphone to expose the bias and yellow journalism and get it into the  public consciousness, but in 2004 Drudge, and talk radio were, able to expose the forgery for what it was.

In 2011 with the Weiner matter, originally the media and the Dems tried to bury it - and in 1960 it would have stayed buried (just like all of JFK's affairs were) - Fortunately, in 2011 there are many ways to spread the word.

The twitter revolution from Egypt seems to have crossed the pond.................

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #373 on: June 11, 2011, 11:25:24 PM »

I think this story is a great example of how media has change and how the internet has disrupted the ability of the Democrats and the media to bury and/or plant a story.

In 1960 if CBC had run something equivalent to the 2004 Dan Rather fabrications and forgeries about Bush, there would have been nothing anybody could have done about it - there was no offsetting megaphone to expose the bias and yellow journalism and get it into the  public consciousness, but in 2004 Drudge, and talk radio were, able to expose the forgery for what it was.

In 2011 with the Weiner matter, originally the media and the Dems tried to bury it - and in 1960 it would have stayed buried (just like all of JFK's affairs were) - Fortunately, in 2011 there are many ways to spread the word.

The twitter revolution from Egypt seems to have crossed the pond.................

You're entirely correct except for your implication that burying scandals is something only Democrats have tried to do.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #374 on: June 12, 2011, 09:10:33 AM »

You're entirely correct except for your implication that burying scandals is something only Democrats have tried to do.

Both sides have scandals, both try to bury them

The left has always has CBS, abc, NBC.....

Now the right has fox, drudge, limbaugh........

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies