Countries of Modern Europe Survivor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:56:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  Survivor
  Countries of Modern Europe Survivor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25
Author Topic: Countries of Modern Europe Survivor  (Read 32747 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2010, 05:26:28 AM »

Vati can go now.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2010, 05:27:37 AM »

Switzerland
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2010, 07:50:52 AM »

500 priests, a Cathedral, a chapel with a pretty ceiling, and a bunch  of musems is not a real country, thus Vatican City must go.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2010, 08:19:23 AM »

Vatican City
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2010, 08:19:52 AM »

Albania? What is this.. "pick on all the obscure little-known poor countries because they are obscure little-known and poor" day?

Republic of Ireland o/c.  Turkey isn't a bad pick, but Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland should go pretty soon.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2010, 08:34:45 AM »

Albania? What is this.. "pick on all the obscure little-known poor countries because they are obscure little-known and poor" day?

Republic of Ireland o/c.  Turkey isn't a bad pick, but Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland should go pretty soon.

I think everybody has many reasons to vote (or not) for a country.
It can be historical, political, geographical, even touristic (even if it's not the place, but you're free to vote the way you want).

As it's not required to explain your vote...

For this round, I would have preferred to vote for Belgium or Luxembourg, but I wanted to save the Vatican. And even when I think about Luxembourg, it's good memories for me: fine restaurants, surprisingly good wines... OK, I stop here Wink.

Why would be Turkey a better pick than Albania ? Or Norway or Finland, uninteresting countries, historically speaking ?
Given its history and culture, Turkey should stay for many, many rounds.

Really, in this type of survivors, you don't vote with your brain. That's the "rule".
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2010, 09:24:44 AM »

I voted Albania because it's one of the few countries on this list i haven't visited and i don't really find it's history interesting.

But for instance i find the fact that Russia was ousted so fast a personal insult Tongue
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2010, 09:29:56 AM »

King Zog of Albania is quite interesting.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2010, 12:00:36 PM »

I think everybody has many reasons to vote (or not) for a country.
It can be historical, political, geographical, even touristic (even if it's not the place, but you're free to vote the way you want).

As it's not required to explain your vote...

For this round, I would have preferred to vote for Belgium or Luxembourg, but I wanted to save the Vatican. And even when I think about Luxembourg, it's good memories for me: fine restaurants, surprisingly good wines... OK, I stop here Wink.

Why would be Turkey a better pick than Albania ? Or Norway or Finland, uninteresting countries, historically speaking ?
Given its history and culture, Turkey should stay for many, many rounds.

Really, in this type of survivors, you don't vote with your brain. That's the "rule".

I don't care how much they pretend to be European, or if they get into the EU, Turkey is primarily an Asian country, not a European one, and that's reason enough for me to vote against it in this Survivor.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2010, 01:14:16 PM »

Vatican City
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2010, 01:22:35 PM »

Turkey is an "asian" country? Ah, discourses... (Quick everyone: Give me a non-arbitrary geographical definition of what "Europe" is?)

I want Turkey out soon because the popularity of populist nationalism, the way its government denies the Armenian Genocide and (much more importantly because the other two aren't that important to me) the annoying chauvanistic way Turks can come off on the internet, at least any self-proclaimed Turk I've ever noted (which of course may be people from Germany and England playing at ethnic identity... but I'm not taking that risk).

Albania is such a unique place in contemporary Europe that I can't help but find it interesting. Though if headlining grabbing insanity is your thing... there is always Enver Hoxha.
petedewolfe
Rookie
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2010, 01:30:41 PM »

Vatican
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2010, 04:33:31 PM »

Turkey is an "asian" country? Ah, discourses... (Quick everyone: Give me a non-arbitrary geographical definition of what "Europe" is?)

I want Turkey out soon because the popularity of populist nationalism, the way its government denies the Armenian Genocide and (much more importantly because the other two aren't that important to me) the annoying chauvanistic way Turks can come off on the internet, at least any self-proclaimed Turk I've ever noted (which of course may be people from Germany and England playing at ethnic identity... but I'm not taking that risk).

Albania is such a unique place in contemporary Europe that I can't help but find it interesting. Though if headlining grabbing insanity is your thing... there is always Enver Hoxha.

According to Columbia Encyclopedia: "Europe , 6th largest continent, c.4,000,000 sq mi (10,360,000 sq km) including adjacent islands (1992 est. pop. 512,000,000). It is actually a vast peninsula of the great Eurasian land mass. By convention, it is separated from Asia by the Urals and the Ural River in the east; by the Caspian Sea and the Caucasus in the southeast; and by the Black Sea, the Bosporus, the Sea of Marmara, and the Dardanelles in the south. The Mediterranean Sea and the Strait of Gibraltar separate it from Africa. Europe is washed in the north by the Arctic Ocean, and in the west by the Atlantic Ocean, with which the North Sea and the Baltic Sea are connected."

This definition places only a small part of Turkey- west of the Dardanelles and the Bosporus- in Europe. The vast majority of Turkey's land area and population is on the continent of Asia, thus making Turkey primarily an Asian country.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2010, 02:06:20 AM »

Turkey
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2010, 02:10:18 AM »

Turkey .
Electric Feel
ElectricFeel
Rookie
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -0.06, S: -5.13

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2010, 02:12:22 AM »

Turkey
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2010, 02:13:13 AM »

Turkey 7
Vatican City 5
Ireland 1
Switzerland 1
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2010, 02:14:53 AM »

Vatican City
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2010, 02:20:53 AM »

Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2010, 10:53:25 AM »

Luxembourg
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2010, 11:03:10 AM »

Vatican City. Ridiculous.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2010, 11:23:42 AM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2010, 01:09:39 PM »

Vatican City
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »

According to Columbia Encyclopedia: "Europe , 6th largest continent, c.4,000,000 sq mi (10,360,000 sq km) including adjacent islands (1992 est. pop. 512,000,000). It is actually a vast peninsula of the great Eurasian land mass. By convention, it is separated from Asia by the Urals and the Ural River in the east; by the Caspian Sea and the Caucasus in the southeast; and by the Black Sea, the Bosporus, the Sea of Marmara, and the Dardanelles in the south. The Mediterranean Sea and the Strait of Gibraltar separate it from Africa. Europe is washed in the north by the Arctic Ocean, and in the west by the Atlantic Ocean, with which the North Sea and the Baltic Sea are connected."

This definition places only a small part of Turkey- west of the Dardanelles and the Bosporus- in Europe. The vast majority of Turkey's land area and population is on the continent of Asia, thus making Turkey primarily an Asian country.

The important part of my question was "non-arbitrary". Europe is just a pennisulla of Asia really. (Why not use the Urals-Caspian and the Gulf to divide continents).

Republic of Ireland
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2010, 03:42:25 PM »

The only reason I really included Turkey is Thrace.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies