2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:01:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 90
Author Topic: 2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue)  (Read 182222 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: August 10, 2010, 09:09:11 PM »

Soo...Simmons won his old CD and that's about it?

I'm not sure there was ever a route of victory for Simmons in this primary.  There wasn't a lot for conservatives to get excited about with his record outside of electability and his military service, and McMahon destroyed the electability argument by indicating her willingness to spend 50 million bucks or whatever it is to win this race.

I'm still a secret fan of Simmon's possum strategy for the underdog candidate...you're underfunded, you can't keep going toe-to-toe 'till election day, you save your $500k or whatevsky it is, and your principle opponent is too afraid of bombarding you with attacks while your campaign is "suspended," and he/she/it'll want your endorsement...it's a hail mary strategy at best, but I'm not sure if it was a bad call by Simmons.  
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #551 on: August 10, 2010, 09:09:58 PM »

Whatever the result of the Georgia runoff, the loser is gonna be demanding a recount . . .
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #552 on: August 10, 2010, 09:10:04 PM »

Yikes!

If McInnis wins, what are the odds he actually stays in the race?  I know he said he would, but he's not an anti-establishment character, and the CO GOP wants him out an some random millionaire to replace him sooooo badly
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #553 on: August 10, 2010, 09:10:41 PM »

Stick a fork in Bernier in CT-05.  He's done.  There's little of Hartford County left and more New Haven, which Debicella is winning big.

McMahon has been declared the winner (no shock there).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sad

Disgusting. Connecticut sucks.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #554 on: August 10, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »

The wet dream going around the GOP blogs is apparently having McInnis drop out and replace him with Norton, which would apparently cause Tancredo to drop out.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #555 on: August 10, 2010, 09:11:23 PM »

Whatever the result of the Georgia runoff, the loser is gonna be demanding a recount . . .

Certainly. I can't remember what the percentage is for an automatic recount. Maybe .5 percent?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #556 on: August 10, 2010, 09:11:37 PM »

Blumenthal just sent out an email blast announcing his opponent as McMahon.

Damn if that's not the quickest damn email blast in response to a real-time event that I ever saw.

[quote]Dear Friend,

It's official. Tonight, wrestling CEO Linda McMahon won the Republican primary and will be opposing Dick Blumenthal in Connecticut's U.S. Senate race.

There is a real choice in this election. Dick Blumenthal has stood up to the special interests and fought for the people of Connecticut for more than 20 years, making a difference in people's lives.

And while he was serving the people of Connecticut? Linda McMahon was putting her own interests and her own profits first.

In tough times, we need someone in touch with the people of Connecticut -- someone who has been in the trenches and will fight for us and for our future.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #557 on: August 10, 2010, 09:11:47 PM »

Here's the updated CT-R-Sen town map with 440 of 772 in:

(McMahon blue, Schiff green, Simmons Red).

I've added the CT-Congressional District layer to further make the point - Simmons won his CD and not much else.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #558 on: August 10, 2010, 09:13:35 PM »

Called for Bennet. Buck is up to a 52-48 lead now (10,000 votes). McInnis has retaken the lead, by about 2,000 votes.

MAK's lead is shrinking, she's down to 45.8-36.4 now.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #559 on: August 10, 2010, 09:14:15 PM »

Cinyc, glad you included Schiff Smiley  That county has less than 4k residents...which still makes it bigger than the city I spent most of my life in heh
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #560 on: August 10, 2010, 09:15:50 PM »

Heh, my precinct:

OLE' SAVIOR AND TODD "ELVIS" ANDERSON    1   10.00   
    LESLIE DAVIS AND GREGORY K. SODERBERG    2   20.00   
    BOB CARNEY JR AND WILLIAM MCGAUGHEY    1   10.00   
    TOM EMMER AND ANNETTE T. MEEKS    6   60.00

MARGARET ANDERSON KELLIHER AND JOHN GUNYOU    195   49.62   
    PETER IDUSOGIE AND LADY JAYNE FONTAINE    0   0.00   
    MATT ENTENZA AND ROBYNE ROBINSON    66   16.79   
    MARK DAYTON AND YVONNE PRETTNER SOLON    132   33.59

The Republican running unopposed for CD 5 has 8 votes. On the DFL side:

BARB DAVIS WHITE    23   6.08   
    KEITH ELLISON    341   90.21   
    GREGG A. IVERSON    14   3.70

Davis White was Ellison's Republican opponent in 2008, and she has more votes than the actual Republican.

Now of course it's true that there was no real reason for Republicans to vote but still quite amusing.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #561 on: August 10, 2010, 09:15:54 PM »

Certainly. I can't remember what the percentage is for an automatic recount. Maybe .5 percent?
This is just ridiculously close. I was hoping Handel would be leading by the end, but I'm worried we may have a slight Deal lead. There will be a recount regardless.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #562 on: August 10, 2010, 09:16:48 PM »

at least Simmons seems to have handily won my birthplace of Groton. if only there were a runoff!  if I were in CT I dont know which major party sleezeball I could support. I wonder how many other CT voters feel the same way. right now I'm guessing Schiff launches a 3rd party run.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #563 on: August 10, 2010, 09:17:16 PM »

And Connecticut R-Governor.

The towns outlined in yellow have Italian American populations of 20% or more.  There's not as much of a pattern as I expected - though Fedele seems to be winning the heaviest ones (New Haven suburbs).

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #564 on: August 10, 2010, 09:17:39 PM »

Blumenthal just sent out an email blast announcing his opponent as McMahon.

Damn if that's not the quickest damn email blast in response to a real-time event that I ever saw.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

hahahahaha, I got Linda McMahon's campaign email blast AFTER Blumenthal's on the subject, awesome.  

[quote]Excitement is in the air -- moments ago, the Associated Press called the primary race for us.

Before I speak to the crowd here at the victory party, I wanted to send you a quick note thanking you for the key role you played in our victory.

We built a grassroots movement made up of extraordinary people just like you, and tonight, we sent a strong message to all the career politicians that we want a different kind of Senator...

... A Senator who knows how to create jobs, a Senator who will put an end to politics as usual, a Senator who won't be beholden to special interests, a Senator who will stop the runway spending, and -- most importantly -- a Senator who will put our state back to work.

Now, it's on to November.

Let's keep the momentum building today so that we can begin changing Washington in 84 days.

Please forward this email to five friends and ask them to join you in supporting our campaign.

This was your victory tonight.

Thanks for all that you do.

On to victory,

Linda McMahon

P.S. We've won the Republican nomination, but our final challenge lies ahead: winning in November. Let's keep the momentum and excitement of our primary victory going. Can I count on you to forward this email to five friends and ask them to join you in supporting our campaign?

P.P.S. Be sure to tune in tomorrow morning to NBC's Today Show, ABC's Good Morning America and CBS's The Early Show. I will be a guest on all three programs.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #565 on: August 10, 2010, 09:18:20 PM »

Cinyc, glad you included Schiff Smiley  That county has less than 4k residents...which still makes it bigger than the city I spent most of my life in heh

It's a town, not a county.  New England states report results by town - which makes data analysis a lot more interesting because more census data is available.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #566 on: August 10, 2010, 09:19:22 PM »

at least Simmons seems to have handily won my birthplace of Groton. if only there were a runoff!  if I were in CT I dont know which major party sleezeball I could support. I wonder how many other CT voters feel the same way. right now I'm guessing Schiff launches a 3rd party run.

McMahon may end up with over 50% in the end, given what's still out.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #567 on: August 10, 2010, 09:19:34 PM »

Ohrly?  Still.  Cool maps.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #568 on: August 10, 2010, 09:19:43 PM »

Here's the updated CT-R-Sen town map with 440 of 772 in:

(McMahon blue, Schiff green, Simmons Red).

I've added the CT-Congressional District layer to further make the point - Simmons won his CD and not much else.

Yay, Peter Schiff won a town.

Schiff should just declare an independent candidacy right away now.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #569 on: August 10, 2010, 09:20:19 PM »

A runoff would not help Simmons, it'd only hurt McMahon
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #570 on: August 10, 2010, 09:21:17 PM »

Apparently there was an error, so Maes is still ahead. However, his lead is down to about 1,300 votes.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #571 on: August 10, 2010, 09:22:13 PM »

Apparently there was an error, so Maes is still ahead. However, his lead is down to about 1,300 votes.

If McInnis is lying about his intention to stay in this race, then the future of the CO:Gov race is in the balance.  If he's telling the truth, then it's not.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #572 on: August 10, 2010, 09:22:45 PM »

Handel just narrowed the gap to 3500. Fulton county is still steadily trickling in.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #573 on: August 10, 2010, 09:23:18 PM »

Yeah, Fedele is getting a slight bump in Italian-American >20% towns:

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #574 on: August 10, 2010, 09:24:42 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2010, 09:26:14 PM by Torie »

The Deal-Handel race looks like just about a tie. It all comes down to how many GOP voters are in the 50 or so precincts out in Fulton (if in black neighborhoods, Deal wins; if up in the northern part of Fulton, then Handel may have a slight edge. The remaining 30 or so precincts elsewhere kind of look like a wash, with about 8 largely empty precincts still out in a small county.

The Norton Buck race also looks like close to a tie. It may be almost all of the precincts will have to be counted to make a call.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies