UK General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:23:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 93
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 266911 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: February 05, 2013, 03:41:58 PM »

AP releases names of 126 Tory MP's who voted in favour with 134 against. David Mundell voted for.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #826 on: February 05, 2013, 03:46:31 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2013, 03:48:16 PM by afleitch »

Of the 22 Labour No's, 7 were in Scotland. Of the 16 who did not vote, 3 were from Scotland. My own MP, who has been very helpful in trying to sort out the UKBA's clusterf-ck with Michael's residency visa voted in favour.

Biggest shock? George Galloway actually showed up and voted in favour.
countydurhamboy
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #827 on: February 05, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »

It's a good day for parliament today, I feel. Well done to all mp's who voted in favour. Nice to see a little more love in the world Smiley  Suppose congrats go to cameron for bringing forward the issue. Ironically the Tories  appear to have lost support in the gay community over this. Since almost every tory I know is also gay. The stupid tories have shot themselves in the foot again. That's not important really though, what's me important is we have more equality in the world.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #828 on: February 05, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »

Of the 22 Labour No's, 7 were in Scotland. Of the 16 who did not vote, 3 were from Scotland. My own MP, who has been very helpful in trying to sort out the UKBA's clusterf-ck with Michael's residency visa voted in favour.

What were Scottish MP's doing voting on a measure that affected only England and Wales (or so I thought)?  I was under the impression that non-English MP's didn't vote on such things.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #829 on: February 05, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »

What were Scottish MP's doing voting on a measure that affected only England and Wales (or so I thought)?  I was under the impression that non-English MP's didn't vote on such things.

Thank god you asked, nobody's ever noticed this before.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #830 on: February 05, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »

No, it's only the SNP (and I think plaid in wales, although I'm not 100% sure) who do that, everyone else (labour, lib dem and Mundell) votes on everything.
countydurhamboy
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #831 on: February 05, 2013, 05:12:42 PM »

No, it's only the SNP (and I think plaid in wales, although I'm not 100% sure) who do that, everyone else (labour, lib dem and Mundell) votes on everything.
Its a bit ridiculous tbh and I don't believe it's even on the governments list to sort out.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #832 on: February 05, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »

Its a bit ridiculous tbh and I don't believe it's even on the governments list to sort out.

Wasn't it in the coalition agreement, or am I dreaming?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #833 on: February 05, 2013, 05:34:50 PM »

Wasn't it in the coalition agreement, or am I dreaming?

I think it was, actually. Not that that means anything will actually happen.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #834 on: February 05, 2013, 06:13:26 PM »

Twitter's a-buzz with Dave's endorsement from hell. Marine Le Pen just endorsed his policy on Europe on Newsnight. She's also gone and said "breaking off relations with Bashar al Assad is senseless" in the same interview.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #835 on: February 05, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »

Twitter's a-buzz with Dave's endorsement from hell. Marine Le Pen just endorsed his policy on Europe on Newsnight. She's also gone and said "breaking off relations with Bashar al Assad is senseless" in the same interview.
Oh, I see.  It's because he's mercilessly slaughtering and torturing Muslim Arabs, therefore he's a FF in her mind.  (Even if he's a Muslim Arab himself). 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #836 on: February 06, 2013, 02:18:37 AM »

So where are these four Liberal Democrats from?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #837 on: February 06, 2013, 02:48:22 AM »

Sarah Teather (Brent Central)
John Pugh (Southport)
Gordon Birtwistle (Burnley)
Alan Beith (Berwick upon Tweed)

Teather and Pugh are Catholics.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #838 on: February 06, 2013, 02:54:30 AM »

So, UK Catholics are real Catholics, not nominal, secular ones like the ones we have in Quebec?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #839 on: February 06, 2013, 05:51:10 AM »

Well, it's a marker of minority status here, isn't it? Not so in Quebec.

Though more than just a few Catholic MPs voted in favour, it should be noted.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #840 on: February 06, 2013, 06:28:26 AM »

Some people consider that debatable, you know.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #841 on: February 06, 2013, 08:04:36 AM »

Havering MPs: Rosindell against (not a surprise), Watkinson and Cruddas in favour.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #842 on: February 06, 2013, 09:16:38 AM »

John Pugh (Southport)

Good luck getting them tactical voters.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #843 on: February 06, 2013, 11:43:16 AM »

John Pugh (Southport)

Em, how much of a sticking point will gay marriage be for potential tactical Labour voters in rural Northumberland or in Southport? I can't see the Lib Dems holding Brent or Burnley no matter what way the MPs voted on this issue - propping up the Tories will be the deciding factor there.

Gay marriage strikes me as an issue where you have small numbers either intensely in favour or intensely against, and a broad middle who may be mild approvers or disapprovers, but who won't view it as being an important factor come a general election. Much like Europe or hunting at the other end of the spectrum, frankly.
countydurhamboy
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #844 on: February 06, 2013, 12:12:59 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2013, 03:10:33 PM by countydurhamboy »

John Pugh (Southport)

Em, how much of a sticking point will gay marriage be for potential tactical Labour voters in rural Northumberland or in Southport? I can't see the Lib Dems holding Brent or Burnley no matter what way the MPs voted on this issue - propping up the Tories will be the deciding factor there.

Gay marriage strikes me as an issue where you have small numbers either intensely in favour or intensely against, and a broad middle who may be mild approvers or disapprovers, but who won't view it as being an important factor come a general election. Much like Europe or hunting at the other end of the spectrum, frankly.
I think 3 of those are retiring anyway. Pugh definitely is. I wouldn't want to call Brent south, but gay marriage won't be a factor, if anything it may help her.                                                                            Edit: sorted out dodgy post. Sorry
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #845 on: February 06, 2013, 12:13:52 PM »

YouGov predicts less than 4% of GB deem it important enough that they'd be put off voting someone who voted against it (and 3% would do the same for those who voted for).
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #846 on: February 06, 2013, 12:34:59 PM »

John Pugh (Southport)

John Pugh (Southport)

John Pugh (Southport)

I think 3 of those are retiring anyway. Pugh definitely is. I wouldn't want to call Brent south, but gay marriage won't be a factor, if anything it may help her.

Brent will be an easy Labour gain and if it's not, they're doing far worse across the country than in 2010.
Benj

« Reply #847 on: February 06, 2013, 02:50:57 PM »

John Pugh (Southport)

John Pugh (Southport)

John Pugh (Southport)

I think 3 of those are retiring anyway. Pugh definitely is. I wouldn't want to call Brent south, but gay marriage won't be a factor, if anything it may help her.

Brent will be an easy Labour gain and if it's not, they're doing far worse across the country than in 2010.

That was thought to be the case in 2010, too. Teather is a very impressive campaigner, and she could well win reelection against the overall tide. I doubt gay marriage will be a major issue in the campaign, though it probably does cost her some white social-liberals (but many of those were excised in the previous redistricting).
countydurhamboy
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #848 on: February 06, 2013, 03:22:22 PM »

I Agree with the comment above. Brent central is majority ethnic minority. These seats often behave contrary to national swing, according to local personalities. A Labour gain is likely, though the seat is not a slam-dunk like manc Withington or Burnley.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #849 on: February 06, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »

Teather is a piece of sh!t. Anyone who's ever had a relative who's died of cancer ought to think so.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 93  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies