Canadian by-elections, 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 07:31:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 40
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2013  (Read 72095 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: August 18, 2013, 09:42:53 PM »

How big is "Bran Van 3000" ? I've barely heard of them.

It's popular with the so-called "trendy people".
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #576 on: August 18, 2013, 10:25:03 PM »

Marois announced than she would call a by-election in Viau next week and PQ wouldn't run a candidate if Couillard is the Liberal candidate.

Great strategy. As Couillard wants to run in Roberval, he will look like if he is afraid of seating in the Assembly. And if he decides to go in Viau, either he will be accused of carpetbagging in Roberval or will stay in Viau, which make a weaker Liberal candidate in Roberval.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #577 on: August 18, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »

I really don't know why Couillard's running in Roberval, where the PQ has a 6000-vote plurality. He might think Bourassa '85 where he wins government but loses a seat. Given the pro-incumbent provincial trend it could well be a repeat of John Tory 2007, idiotically moving to a safe government seat and losing both it and his leadership. Another Quebec precedent is Lapalme in '52 when he carpetbagged against Barrette in Joliette and got thumped by 15 points.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #578 on: August 18, 2013, 11:03:17 PM »

I really don't know why Couillard's running in Roberval, where the PQ has a 6000-vote plurality. He might think Bourassa '85 where he wins government but loses a seat. Given the pro-incumbent provincial trend it could well be a repeat of John Tory 2007, idiotically moving to a safe government seat and losing both it and his leadership. Another Quebec precedent is Lapalme in '52 when he carpetbagged against Barrette in Joliette and got thumped by 15 points.

He lives in Saint-Félicien and hopes to gain back a seat than Liberals won in 2003, I suppose.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #579 on: August 18, 2013, 11:23:44 PM »

Max, will you be making a Viau map, or shall I? If you plan on doing one, it would be nice if you could use my new colour key. 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #580 on: August 18, 2013, 11:41:32 PM »

Max, will you be making a Viau map, or shall I? If you plan on doing one, it would be nice if you could use my new colour key. 

I'll, then, but what is your new colour key?
I thought it would be boring, but Liberals won 47-24 over PQ (12 for CAQ and QS, 3 for ON, 2 for Greens).

First result under 50% since 1976, too.
adma
« Reply #581 on: August 19, 2013, 07:15:07 AM »

How big is "Bran Van 3000" ? I've barely heard of them.

This may ring a bell (or not)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9KfKx8PmM
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #582 on: August 19, 2013, 07:22:44 AM »

They were pretty big in the lat 90's and early 2000s; You couldn't grow up in canada without hearing that song!
Shes also a lawyer too which brings some "prefessionalism" to her not only a cultural popularity. I want to know who these other two candidates might be (the globe said 5)

There is already a liberal controversy! that didn't take long, they don't even have a declared candidate! Smiley
"The NDP is gambling that its candidate in Bourassa – whether Ms. Moraille or someone else – will benefit from the controversy that has engulfed the most likely Liberal candidate, Emmanuel Dubourg. A former Liberal MNA, Mr. Dubourg earned a $100,000 “transition allowance” to quit his provincial seat and run at the federal level."
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #583 on: August 19, 2013, 07:28:30 AM »

Well, NDP has nothing to lose.

Most likely, they lose, but they can say it's a Liberal stronghold and the candidate a popular MNA (which isn't really true, through).

If they manage to win, that's a pretty big blow to Liberals and to Trudeau himself.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #584 on: August 19, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »

I'll, then, but what is your new colour key?
I thought it would be boring, but Liberals won 47-24 over PQ (12 for CAQ and QS, 3 for ON, 2 for Greens).

First result under 50% since 1976, too.

I suppose it's not that new anymore, but here it is for easy reference:

Yes, that song is the only reason I've heard of them. I know nothing else.
Krago
« Reply #585 on: August 19, 2013, 12:03:26 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2013, 01:12:34 PM by Krago »

Viau - 2012 Provincial Election

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #586 on: August 19, 2013, 02:14:44 PM »

Thanks, Krago. Not my colour key though Wink - and I don't have permission to use your maps on my blog.

Anyways, I just realized that in Toronto Centre, both councillors are NDPers. Even the north ward, which covers Rosedale. (Albeit, the 2010 race in that ward was an open seat, and the councillor who won only received 29%).
Krago
« Reply #587 on: August 19, 2013, 03:23:21 PM »

Thanks, Krago. Not my colour key though Wink - and I don't have permission to use your maps on my blog.

Anyways, I just realized that in Toronto Centre, both councillors are NDPers. Even the north ward, which covers Rosedale. (Albeit, the 2010 race in that ward was an open seat, and the councillor who won only received 29%).

Go right ahead and post the map if you wish (and my colours are better!)

From Wikipedia:  She [Kristyn Wong-Tam] also noted that she did not renew her New Democratic Party membership, saying: "I think all (council) rookies are saying the same thing - they don't want to be pigeon-holed."
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #588 on: August 19, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »

(and my colours are better!)

Tongue

Maybe if you had a 5 point scale and the PQ wasn't purple. Wink
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #589 on: August 19, 2013, 03:34:52 PM »

(and my colours are better!)

Tongue

Maybe if you had a 5 point scale and the PQ wasn't purple. Wink

I'll finish my map, since it's halfway done.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #590 on: August 19, 2013, 05:00:33 PM »

LOL, Bran Van 3000. Clearly these are the by-elections for memories of late-90's MuchMusic.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #591 on: August 19, 2013, 05:24:37 PM »

Yeah, the provincial party seems to be attracting a lot of school trustees, while the federal party is attracting people in the arts community. A lot of arts people have been long-time NDP supporters, so it's nice to see them want to run now. I do think that celebrity star candidates aren't always a net-plus though.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #592 on: August 19, 2013, 06:04:31 PM »

I seem to recall being up early enough to watch a Canadian by-election on a live-website of some kind or other (an official government one? Or one of "ours" ? ) and through Twitter.

What are the dates of those forthcoming, do I have a chance of watching a real time counting of the votes/polling day again? Ta !
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #593 on: August 19, 2013, 06:07:49 PM »

Earliest synchronized date for the federal by-elections would be Oct. 24, more likely November/December.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #594 on: August 19, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »

Earliest synchronized date for the federal by-elections would be Oct. 24, more likely November/December.

Jeeez really? Ah well, good to know, it looks like Wiki is fairly well updated date wise so I'll keep an eye out.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #595 on: August 20, 2013, 12:30:09 PM »

Trans activist Susan Gapka is seeking the Dipper nomination in TO Centre.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #596 on: August 20, 2013, 01:53:06 PM »

I know it hasn't been mentioned here yet, but that feels like old news now.

Gapka ran in the Rosedale part Toronto Centre-Rosedale (I hate Toronto's ward names, or lackthereof) in the last two municipal elections. Interestingly, in the last election- several NDPers ran, including the winner, while Gapka got only a few hundred votes. She even finished behind another transgendered candidate! (Enza Anderson)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #597 on: August 20, 2013, 02:31:07 PM »

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/montreal/201308/20/01-4681391-viau-deux-acteurs-municipaux-lorgnent-linvestiture-du-plq.php

Misleading title, but there is one person waiting to be candidate and two thinking about being the Liberal candidate in Viau.

Monsef Derraji, president of Vision Montreal is in, despite living in Robert-Baldwin, in West Island.

Frantz Benjamin, city councillor for Saint-Michel (one of the first to leave UM, now pro-Coderre) is also thinking about it and is saying than people ask him to run.

Also, Alain Paquet, former Delegate Finance Minister and MNA for Laval-des-Rapides from 2003 to 2012 (he lost against the former student leader Léo Bureau-Blouin) may run here. It's quite sure he will run in the next election, but he didn't decided where yet.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #598 on: August 20, 2013, 02:54:23 PM »

I know it hasn't been mentioned here yet, but that feels like old news now.

Gapka ran in the Rosedale part Toronto Centre-Rosedale (I hate Toronto's ward names, or lackthereof) in the last two municipal elections. Interestingly, in the last election- several NDPers ran, including the winner, while Gapka got only a few hundred votes. She even finished behind another transgendered candidate! (Enza Anderson)

In the city they use ward numbers (boring) its ward 27, i'm in ward 19 laytons ward, the trinty-bellwoods/fort york one... anyway, It was probably the most packed race for any ward in the city, she also went up against a previous green (tisdale) by-election candidate (who out polled the NDP in the race bob rae won) and a liberal (chan) who was backed by the outgoing councilor kyle rae (no bob relation) who also was backed by smithermann. Ya candidates dick, gapka & wong-tam were all open 'dippers; wookey and chan were liberals...
on council; generally in the old city of TO 'dipper go head-to-head since there are no parties. In my ward layton went up against karen sun another bright young 'dipper... it was a tough choice between the two.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #599 on: August 20, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »

In Ottawa, we'd be lucky to get one NDPer running.

Anyways, it's time Toronto re-drew and re-named its wards.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies