Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 10:40:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 27
Author Topic: Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years  (Read 68823 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2009, 06:56:38 AM »

SUSA poll of 500 New York adults finds five-point plurality support for gay marriage.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=c0840af2-ee80-40f5-bc79-b77a14d53000
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2009, 07:28:23 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2009, 08:21:53 AM by Holmes »

Alcon, VP Meeker, every other Washingtonian here, get ready for a battle. Smiley Not a gay marriage one, this is even more ridiculous:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ridiculous. Blow them out of the water in 2010.

Silly crosstabs(Upstate?). But I'll flaunt it.

eta: State Senate Majority Leader in New Hampshire is saying that the caucus is having a lot of discussions about the testimony the other day(which went really well for us) and a Senate vote can be anywhere from next week to mid-May... I guess that's a good indicator that it'll get out of committee. Smiley
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2009, 09:51:34 AM »

Alcon, VP Meeker, every other Washingtonian here, get ready for a battle. Smiley Not a gay marriage one, this is even more ridiculous:

Ridiculous. Blow them out of the water in 2010.

That measure has no shot at passing. Plus, I will actually get to legally vote against it. Smiley
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2009, 10:35:38 AM »

I don't think it will pass if placed on a ballot.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »

Wow, you gave some great detail on why you believe that. You've convinced me now.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2009, 10:56:24 AM »

Wow, you gave some great detail on why you believe that. You've convinced me now.

What's more, it doesn't matter. It's never going on a ballot in New York. The only reason to poll on this is to convince state senators they won't pay an electoral cost for voting for it.

The interesting result is that support is strongest upstate, albeit within MOE. No doubt immigrants are much more conservative on this issue than others. And yet upstate is an almost solid bloc of Republican state senators. Unfortunately city Democratic senators have constituency incentives to vote against gay marriage, while upstate and Long Island Republican senators have partisan incentives to not stick their necks out on the issue. This whole thing sadly looks like a Hail Mary pass by Paterson. I would be pleasantly shocked if it passes before 2010.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: April 17, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »

Okay, how about this, its only up 5 points in a poll of adults. Turn that into a likely voters poll, it's probably a 2 gap, so it's all down to turnout. Who does a better job of turning out, conservatives or liberals?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #182 on: April 17, 2009, 11:02:26 AM »

Okay, how about this, its only up 5 points in a poll of adults. Turn that into a likely voters poll, it's probably a 2 gap, so it's all down to turnout. Who does a better job of turning out, conservatives or liberals?

In New York?

What's more, it doesn't matter. It's never going on a ballot in New York. The only reason to poll on this is to convince state senators they won't pay an electoral cost for voting for it.

The interesting result is that support is strongest upstate, albeit within MOE. No doubt immigrants are much more conservative on this issue than others. And yet upstate is an almost solid bloc of Republican state senators. Unfortunately city Democratic senators have constituency incentives to vote against gay marriage, while upstate and Long Island Republican senators have partisan incentives to not stick their necks out on the issue. This whole thing sadly looks like a Hail Mary pass by Paterson. I would be pleasantly shocked if it passes before 2010.

Subsample MoE is worth noting, although I am shocked by the lack of support in NYC.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »

Liberals, these days. But, also, that's beside the point. While gay marriage always polls greater support than it gets on Election Day, that has nothing to do with turnout models. Most likely it's because some share of people don't want to admit over the phone to opposing it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #184 on: April 17, 2009, 11:49:35 AM »

Subsample MoE is worth noting, although I am shocked by the lack of support in NYC.

So was I 'till I remembered it's minority-majority.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #185 on: April 17, 2009, 12:13:01 PM »

So was I 'till I remembered it's minority-majority.

And many people in NYC are recent immigrants from places that are very anti-gay. West Indies, Pakistan, Middle East, Africa.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #186 on: April 17, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »

Steve Schmidt, John McCain's campaign manager, is going to announce that Republicans should endorse same-sex marriage both on its merits and for the political future of the party.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2009/04/mccain-guru-urg.html

I can not believe we are living in the same decade as 2004.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #187 on: April 17, 2009, 12:22:59 PM »

Steve Schmidt, John McCain's campaign manager, is going to announce that Republicans should endorse same-sex marriage both on its merits and for the political future of the party.

It'll never happen. Where will the white working class go then? These Republican assholes seem to forget that they like the Democrats on economics. They just don't like them on virtually anything else.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #188 on: April 17, 2009, 12:25:11 PM »

It'll never happen. Where will the white working class go then? These Republican assholes seem to forget that they like the Democrats on economics. They just don't like them on virtually anything else.

There are other wedge issues that don't show the same clear trend that same-sex marriage does.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #189 on: April 17, 2009, 12:27:36 PM »

There are other wedge issues that don't show the same clear trend that same-sex marriage does.

Which of them save abortion has the same pull as same-sex marriage? The Republicans are trying to make inroads with minorities, so extreme race-baiting is out. The Drug War? It's completely out of the mainstream to champion it any more than they already do.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #190 on: April 17, 2009, 12:46:57 PM »

There are always guns and illegals to recycle, as well as pointing out the creeping Godlessness which stalks the Fruited Plain. Maybe the Dems will stub their toe on the death penalty.

Moving right along, what is a real wedge issue?  You guessed it: card check!  It's war baby.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #191 on: April 17, 2009, 12:57:29 PM »

There are always guns and illegals to recycle, as well as pointing out the creeping Godlessness which stalks the Fruited Plain. Maybe the Dems will stub their toe on the death penalty.

Moving right along, what is a real wedge issue?  You guessed it: card check!  It's war baby.

It's only a wedge issue if people care about it. The really hilarious thing about the EFCA debate is that it's blatantly obvious almost no one cares one way or another. That's why one wording of a poll on the subject found 76% in support while another wording found 74% opposed.

It also makes all the politicians "changing their minds" a bit silly. It's not like they're actually going to receive any political punishment for voting for (or against) a bill that no one cares about. Just vote your conscience.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #192 on: April 17, 2009, 01:00:36 PM »

There, fixed it. Smiley
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #193 on: April 17, 2009, 01:06:28 PM »

Reasoning?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #194 on: April 17, 2009, 02:07:25 PM »

There, fixed it. Smiley

Oh, I know. I didn't say it wasn't important, just that the public has absolutely no interest whatsoever.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: April 17, 2009, 04:10:35 PM »

Are 31% of adults in NY age 18-34 like the poll has? That seems a little high.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #196 on: April 17, 2009, 04:22:12 PM »

The 2008 exit polls in NY had it pretty close to 31%.  I couldn't find an exact 18-34 breakdown, but 18-29 was 22%, and 30-39 was 17%.   If the 30-39 breakout is split anywhere remotely evenly between the 30-34 group and the 35-39 group well your right at or near your 31%
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #197 on: April 17, 2009, 04:24:58 PM »

its possible new york has a high minority population but i dont think its a good poll either, but that doesnt mean that new yorkers dont support gay marriage its quite possible. and as for your comment about this being a adults poll instead of likely voter, you do know minorities are the ones less likely to turnout and i would imagine minorities are more likely to reject gay marriage then whites.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #198 on: April 17, 2009, 04:28:30 PM »

its possible new york has a high minority population but i dont think its a good poll either, but that doesnt mean that new yorkers dont support gay marriage its quite possible. and as for your comment about this being a adults poll instead of likely voter, you do know minorities are the ones less likely to turnout and i would imagine minorities are more likely to reject gay marriage then whites.

at least, they'd be less likely to pressure their own legislators one way or another on this issue

this isn't a referendum, yo
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: April 17, 2009, 04:32:52 PM »

The 2008 exit polls in NY had it pretty close to 31%.  I couldn't find an exact 18-34 breakdown, but 18-29 was 22%, and 30-39 was 17%.   If the 30-39 breakout is split anywhere remotely evenly between the 30-34 group and the 35-39 group well your right at or near your 31%

Thanks. I wasn't sure.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies