The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:09:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 173921 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: December 22, 2018, 04:26:51 PM »

Larry Hogan says he doesn't plan on running for president either in 2020 or some subsequent year, but “I don’t think you can ever rule anything out”:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/hogan-on-2020-presidential-run-sports-gambling/2018/12/21/307f09db-911f-430e-bc52-a7191046af38_video.html
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #676 on: December 23, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »

On Fox News Sunday, Kasich said that he is "actively considering" running for he Presidency. When asked if that meant that he would run as a Republican or an Independent, he said that "all options are on the table."
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #677 on: December 23, 2018, 11:42:23 AM »

Ted Cruz's chief strategist on new Beto blog post:

Spiffy
United States

« Reply #678 on: December 23, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »

Nate makes a point a lot of us have been saying. At least Beto and Abrams out performed. Gillum lost a race he should have won.

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #679 on: December 23, 2018, 12:56:31 PM »

Gillum is a failure. I roll my eyes every time he is coupled with Beto and Stacey. He lost to someone who ran a Neo-Nazi facebook page and refused to return the donation of someone who called Obama a Muslim N____r in a swing state that Obama won twice (!) so I don't want to hear about the Bradley effect.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #680 on: December 23, 2018, 01:05:07 PM »

Gillum is a failure. I roll my eyes every time he is coupled with Beto and Stacey. He lost to someone who ran a Neo-Nazi facebook page and refused to return the donation of someone who called Obama a Muslim N____r in a swing state that Obama won twice (!) so I don't want to hear about the Bradley effect.
Gwen would have won *ducks*
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #681 on: December 23, 2018, 01:11:00 PM »

After her piss poor performance in the primary I disagree- she had a complete monopoly on the state party, and all the backing iirc of the usual special interests groups.

There may be 10,000 voters who really liked Scott, but hated DeSantis- but if you take out Gillum you get rid of the surge of African-Americans, and I still struggle to see who's voting Scott/Graham.

But yes- Gillum shouldn't run for President.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #682 on: December 23, 2018, 01:11:26 PM »

Democratic donors who want to donate to Gillum might as well donate to Trump directly.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #683 on: December 23, 2018, 02:11:01 PM »

This participation trophy candidacy trend lately with Dems is weird, oh you lost but you still can run for President even if you lost a completely winnable race. It's infuriating considering there are perfectly good Dems out there like Klobuchar who seriously have amazing electoral records.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #684 on: December 23, 2018, 02:23:42 PM »

🤦‍♂️

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #685 on: December 23, 2018, 02:27:22 PM »

This participation trophy candidacy trend lately with Dems is weird, oh you lost but you still can run for President even if you lost a completely winnable race. It's infuriating considering there are perfectly good Dems out there like Klobuchar who seriously have amazing electoral records.
She’s boring and doesn’t come across as an activist on any issue. Sorry. Electoral records mean nothing, if they ever did. It’s about how candidates make people feel.

I know for a fact that Abrams is not running for President though so you can scratch that off the list.
Joey1996

« Reply #686 on: December 23, 2018, 02:33:32 PM »

On Fox News Sunday, Kasich said that he is "actively considering" running for he Presidency. When asked if that meant that he would run as a Republican or an Independent, he said that "all options are on the table."

If he wants to hurt Trump he'll run as an independent in the General to help the Democratic nominee win important swing states.
Joey1996

« Reply #687 on: December 23, 2018, 02:38:20 PM »

What's up with the sudden Gillum hate? Florida has trended rightward in the past 2 elections while Georgia and Texas have trended to the left, Atlas simply overrated Gillum. That said, he shouldn't run for president unless he thinks it'll secure him a spot in the next Democratic cabinet.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #688 on: December 23, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »

After her piss poor performance in the primary I disagree- she had a complete monopoly on the state party, and all the backing iirc of the usual special interests groups.

There may be 10,000 voters who really liked Scott, but hated DeSantis- but if you take out Gillum you get rid of the surge of African-Americans, and I still struggle to see who's voting Scott/Graham.

But yes- Gillum shouldn't run for President.

This 100%. And Nelson is the bigger failure for more obvious reasons. I struggle to see Ghram pulling it out too considering Nelson couldn’t even win.
NevadanAtHeart
Rookie

« Reply #689 on: December 23, 2018, 03:39:13 PM »

She’s boring and doesn’t come across as an activist on any issue. Sorry. Electoral records mean nothing, if they ever did. It’s about how candidates make people feel.

I know for a fact that Abrams is not running for President though so you can scratch that off the list.

Aren't electoral records the best record of how people feel? Voting participation rate vs political apathy/excitement, political support vs opposition, opinions on public records, all of these can be found via voting records. In fact, just asking "how do people feel" isn't really important insofar as it doesn't matter how excited you are if you don't or won't vote.

Sure, maybe certain candidates don't draw crowds of millions to cling onto every word. But that literally doesn't matter at all at the point where voters decide that a candidate is exciting, important, smart, savvy, likeable, or positively-performing enough to continue to hold the seat.

Maybe candidates aren't "activists" on any issues -- which honestly is itself a really poor assessment of anybody -- but as long as they get votes, it doesn't matter. They did something right that caused them to get into their seat. Maybe they can do it on a bigger scale. Maybe not. But to say that it's a matter of excitability and that "electoral records mean nothing" is just absurdly reductionist.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #690 on: December 23, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »

Aren't electoral records the best record of how people feel? Voting participation rate vs political apathy/excitement, political support vs opposition, opinions on public records, all of these can be found via voting records. In fact, just asking "how do people feel" isn't really important insofar as it doesn't matter how excited you are if you don't or won't vote.

Sure, maybe certain candidates don't draw crowds of millions to cling onto every word. But that literally doesn't matter at all at the point where voters decide that a candidate is exciting, important, smart, savvy, likeable, or positively-performing enough to continue to hold the seat.

Maybe candidates aren't "activists" on any issues -- which honestly is itself a really poor assessment of anybody -- but as long as they get votes, it doesn't matter. They did something right that caused them to get into their seat. Maybe they can do it on a bigger scale. Maybe not. But to say that it's a matter of excitability and that "electoral records mean nothing" is just absurdly reductionist.
You know what.... you're right. When I read the initial post my brain was thinking more-so about policy achievements, ability to "work across the aisle", "experience" etc. because that's been one of the main talking points for Klobuchar. My bad. Tongue
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #691 on: December 23, 2018, 04:01:24 PM »

While being outspent 3-1 by Levine and 3-1 by Greene, with a ton of that money was spent attacking her, as she was perceived as the frontrunner, and relatively little against Gillum; and still she came in a close 2nd in a crowded field. The primary is also a very different election than the GE.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #692 on: December 23, 2018, 04:16:57 PM »

While being outspent 3-1 by Levine and 3-1 by Greene, with a ton of that money was spent attacking her, as she was perceived as the frontrunner, and relatively little against Gillum; and still she came in a close 2nd in a crowded field. The primary is also a very different election than the GE.

Then she should have raised more money... but she was a boring, one term congresswoman who had nothing going for her other than her surname (and I say that as someone who would have voted for her in the primary!)

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #693 on: December 23, 2018, 04:22:17 PM »

Then she should have raised more money... but she was a boring, one term congresswoman who had nothing going for her other than her surname (and I say that as someone who would have voted for her in the primary!)

She far outraised everyone in the race who wasn't self-funding... she was boring to you, but not to others, and a one term congresswoman running for higher office is not unusual, again claiming she had nothing going for her is subjective, the groups that endorsed her obviously thought she did. It sounds like you just didn't like her... but it doesn't matter as you are from the UK and can't vote anyway.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #694 on: December 23, 2018, 06:20:03 PM »

NBC has a piece on the growing feud between Beto and Bernie supporters.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/inside-bernie-world-s-war-beto-o-rourke-n951016?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #695 on: December 23, 2018, 06:49:03 PM »

I personally dont think Gillum is seriously thinking he can win the presidential primary. While it has been disclosed in many articles during the gubernatorial election that he is a very ambitious man, I doubt he would preform a suicide run for the presidency. What I see more likely is either:
A. He is planning to run for Al Lawson's house seat
B. He is going to run in the presidential primary, drop out early, and use the hype to run for Al Lawson's seat

Either these, or he doesnt run, but due to his ambition, I doubt it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #696 on: December 23, 2018, 06:53:38 PM »

It's not just Beto supporters who resent Sirota and co.'s smear tactics. It's most Democrats who had enough of Saint Bernie's BS two years ago and want him to rein in his minions.
Askew
Rookie

« Reply #697 on: December 23, 2018, 06:56:17 PM »

Yep, Sirota, Stoller and other bullsh**t artists aren't going to get traction this cycle. Not a Beto supporter but I have no patience for this purity nonsense that ignores Sanders problematic votes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #698 on: December 23, 2018, 07:14:44 PM »

Yep, Sirota, Stoller and other bullsh**t artists aren't going to get traction this cycle. Not a Beto supporter but I have no patience for this purity nonsense that ignores Sanders problematic votes.

What purity? Bernie doesn't always vote the right way, but he votes the right way a lot more than some New Democrat. The thing is, we're willing to call out Bernie when he votes poorly like SESTA-FOSTA, while you will excuse any sh**tty vote.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #699 on: December 23, 2018, 07:19:58 PM »

Bernie doesn't always vote the right way, but he votes the right way a lot more than some New Democrat.

Drink.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies