NATIONAL GOVERNOR/OTHER RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 11:58:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NATIONAL GOVERNOR/OTHER RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24
Author Topic: NATIONAL GOVERNOR/OTHER RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM)  (Read 59496 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: November 03, 2010, 03:46:42 PM »

I wouldn't read too much into an election between a nobody that people hate for good reason and a somebody that people hate for good reason. Someone had to win it.

Meanwhile, Republicans easily won the governor's race and picked up NV-03. So.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #376 on: November 03, 2010, 03:50:49 PM »

Brown had a larger margin of victory than Sandoval right next door.  Didn't expect that at all.

CA & NV were both strong points for the Democrats. Harry Reid pulled through, contrary to the suggestions of most polling.

I think we pretty much have to consider NV a blue state now.  Colorado has probably moved into the lean Dem column as of this election and it is rapidly turning blue.

I tend to agree.  Both of these states are becomming part of the Democratic firewall. 
Hopefully New Mexico will eventually come along for the ride, but the last elections were a setback. The Republicans did pick the best possible candidate for Governor there though.

New Mexico was never going to pick a Dem gov after Richardson.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #377 on: November 03, 2010, 03:51:36 PM »

GOP picks up 13 seats in the TN State house.  Rural democrats almost completely wiped out.  That's the good news.  

The bad news is that urban Republicans (candidates like Shelton, Cook, and Dominy in Shelby and Davidson counties) didn't make any pick-ups, meaning that the state's most populous counties have cast their lots with the losing team.

The GOP took TN-60- retiree Ben West's seat in Davidson County. Gotto over Sam Coleman.

I guess I was actually trying to draw a distinction between a white-urban and suburban district and making note that we didn't pick up any white-urban districts.

Basically I'm just bitter that the majority caucus will only have one member who resides within the Memphis city limits, and half his district is in the suburb of Germantown.  Memphis Republicans at least made a valiant attempt at gaining relevant representation for us, but unfortunately the voters betrayed their own interests.  And what did they get?  Memphians now make up 1/3rd of Tennessee's newly-irrelevant House Democratic caucus.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #378 on: November 03, 2010, 04:22:12 PM »

It appears that Kitzhaber will win in Oregon.  He's now down just 10,000 votes and there is still 20% out in Multnomah county.  He should win by around 30,000 votes. 
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #379 on: November 03, 2010, 04:25:26 PM »

We did horrible in the Denver Metro area. It stinks that it was clear republicans outnumbered dems 10-1 all over the 7th (the whole metro area) volunteer wise, but it went dem because of all the negative ads
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #380 on: November 03, 2010, 04:43:23 PM »

I wouldn't read too much into an election between a nobody that people hate for good reason and a somebody that people hate for good reason. Someone had to win it.

I thought you guys said that Angle made herself acceptable thanks to her performance at the debate with Reid. Now she became a nobody again?
Talk about moving the goalposts.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #381 on: November 03, 2010, 04:46:22 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2010, 04:54:15 PM by Joe Republic »

NV-03, one seat in the state Senate, and two seats in the Assembly are all the Republicans picked up.  They failed to win any of the statewide contests except Gov. and Lt. Gov. (which they already held), and are still in the minority in the legislature.  They didn't even pick up Rory Reid's seat on the Clark County Commission, which means that that body remains 100% Democratic.  All told, the Dems had a pretty decent night in Nevada.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #382 on: November 03, 2010, 04:47:39 PM »

Well it more than cancels out when you consider that Florida looks to be settling in as long term GOP territory.  Also, Virginia looks like trouble for Obama in 2012.
East Coast Republican

« Reply #383 on: November 03, 2010, 04:49:41 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2010, 05:30:58 PM by East Coast Republican »

The votes left in Florida to count are less than Scott's margin (or almost there), so he will win by a margin beyond lawsuit potential. That means the Pubbies can gerrymander the sh*t out of the state, like last time, which is the major national significance of this race to my mind. Scott in totals tracked Rubio pretty closely, suggesting that if Crist had been a moderate Dem from day one as governor, he might have run a skin tight race against Rubio.

I wish.  Even though Scott is (maybe, appears) victorious and Republicans obtained veto proof majorities in both the state house and senate, the fair districting amendment passed.  Unless Republicans can come up with a way to keep it from going into effect, the Republican state domination days are over.

And yes, Republicans tried to get the amendments kicked off the ballot before the election.  I wonder what argument they could use now to keep them from going into effect.

I'm assuming you voted against that garbage.

You better believe I voted no on both of them.  Yeah 'fair districts' sponsored by a ton of northeastern unions and out of state liberal special interest groups.  Talk about a hidden power grab.

And Badger, stop being self righteous.  Gerrymandering has always been a part of this country.  I don't complain about the gerrymandered districts in California or Massachusetts.  To the victor goes the spoils that's what I say.  The pure pure swing states can worry about switching between conservative and liberal gerrymandering schemes every 10 years.  Really if you think about it, the liberal and conservative gerrymanders balance themselves out while the dominant party has a substantial, but not insurmountable, advantage.

"Gerrymandering has always been a part of this country"? That's really your justification?? Like vote fraud, influence peddling, poll taxes (though I assume you and States probably miss those), these are not exactly good parts of our electoral history either. These are not things we should want to continue, let alone admire.

But hey, a fairly representative democracy here isn't your goal, is it? After all, "To the victor goes the spoils"? So simply you're upset the FL GOP can't stack the deck to ensure it gets more representatives despite earning fewer voters. At least though you're completely up front about being unapologetically evil. Kudos! Smiley

Speaking of which...

Southern CW reenactors, stop being racist asshats!

Hmm where to begin.

Comparing gerrymandering to vote fraud?  You really are a bleeding heart liberal aren't you?  That comparison is a huge stretch at best and entirely false at worst.

Am I upfront about supporting gerrymandering?  Yeah sure!  So if I'm evil, am I to assume Massachusetts and California are evil for gerrymandering?  What about all the Democrats on the cable news channels last night crying 'Oh no! Now DEMOCRATS won't get to gerrymander!'  You cannot have it both ways!  You're the one who should be upfront about how you truly feel about gerrymandering (psst...you support it!).  I can only imagine your reaction if Conservative groups like American Crossroads put a 'fair districts' amendment on the California ballot.  You should also be upfront about who bankrolled this entire operation.  This was a liberal agenda item.

Finally, did you seriously just call me a southerner and racist?  lol.  I can only smile at that.  Literally I'm smiling at that.  Is that your best stereotypical liberal condescension attack point?  I have never wrote a racist or confederate thing here-in fact, you know nothing about my background at all.

I wonder how many times I'm going to be called a racist confederate supporting jerk on this forum even though I've never written any such thing.  Well when far left liberals such as yourself have nothing else left to throw, playing the race card may be your only hope.  

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #384 on: November 03, 2010, 04:54:17 PM »

I'd go so far as to advocate for a Constitutional amendment to do reapportioning in every state with an impartial computer model with an algorithm that ignores the partisanship of voters and maximizes the number of competitive districts while still satisfying VRA and other requirements.  I don't care so much about compactness.  If making the districts funny shapes actually makes them more competitive on average, then I'm all for it.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #385 on: November 03, 2010, 05:00:45 PM »

South Carolina seems to buck trends a lot when it comes to statewide offices, I've noticed.
East Coast Republican

« Reply #386 on: November 03, 2010, 05:28:53 PM »

I'd go so far as to advocate for a Constitutional amendment to do reapportioning in every state with an impartial computer model with an algorithm that ignores the partisanship of voters and maximizes the number of competitive districts while still satisfying VRA and other requirements.  I don't care so much about compactness.  If making the districts funny shapes actually makes them more competitive on average, then I'm all for it.

I would actually support this for two reasons

1.  A uniform rule of creating somewhat fair districts would be applied to every state.  The country wouldn't have to rely on liberal and conservative gerrymanders trying to balance themselves out.

2.  As an amendment, it wouldn't be a partisan power grab which is what the fair districts amendment in Florida was as it was supported by out of state liberal interest groups. 

An interesting point I take from the fair districts campaign here is if there will be others in different states in the future?  Perhaps conservative interest groups will go after California while the liberals will go after Texas.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #387 on: November 03, 2010, 05:39:55 PM »

Yeah, but Reid and Bennet outperformed the polls by a pretty decent margin.  Both of them had been trailing by around three-four points going into the election. 
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #388 on: November 03, 2010, 05:47:23 PM »

GOP picks up 13 seats in the TN State house.  Rural democrats almost completely wiped out.  That's the good news.  

The bad news is that urban Republicans (candidates like Shelton, Cook, and Dominy in Shelby and Davidson counties) didn't make any pick-ups, meaning that the state's most populous counties have cast their lots with the losing team.

The GOP took TN-60- retiree Ben West's seat in Davidson County. Gotto over Sam Coleman.

I guess I was actually trying to draw a distinction between a white-urban and suburban district and making note that we didn't pick up any white-urban districts.

Basically I'm just bitter that the majority caucus will only have one member who resides within the Memphis city limits, and half his district is in the suburb of Germantown.  Memphis Republicans at least made a valiant attempt at gaining relevant representation for us, but unfortunately the voters betrayed their own interests.  And what did they get?  Memphians now make up 1/3rd of Tennessee's newly-irrelevant House Democratic caucus.

More Haslams and fewer Campfields and you might get your wish.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #389 on: November 03, 2010, 06:04:06 PM »

An interesting point I take from the fair districts campaign here is if there will be others in different states in the future?  Perhaps conservative interest groups will go after California while the liberals will go after Texas.
California voted for non-partisan redistricting yesterday. It's terrible. Sad
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #390 on: November 03, 2010, 06:07:26 PM »

What the hell is going on in Connecticut? As far as I know, Fox called it for Malloy, but Foley is up with 99% of precincts reporting, and Hartford County almost finished counting. Could Foley defy the projections?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #391 on: November 03, 2010, 06:11:38 PM »

Would Malloy sign a bill that abolishes the death penalty?

Yes, and he will.

If Malloy becomes governor. 

The inept Connecticut Secretary of State is declaring it over before receiving certified results from the towns.  Foley claims he's ahead in his tally.  Malloy claims the SoS is wrong in the other direction.  It needs to be within 2,000 votes for a recount.

There will be much suing.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #392 on: November 03, 2010, 06:21:22 PM »

How is Dudley doing now? CNN hasn't updated updated anything ground shattering. Dudley is still leading by the same margin as several hours ago.
East Coast Republican

« Reply #393 on: November 03, 2010, 06:21:53 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2010, 06:25:28 PM by East Coast Republican »

An interesting point I take from the fair districts campaign here is if there will be others in different states in the future?  Perhaps conservative interest groups will go after California while the liberals will go after Texas.

I know you're being sarcastic but that's exactly my point.  These fair district amendments are pushed for partisan reasons.  The California initiative was pushed by Conservatives.  These aren't non partisan initiatives at all.

I guess these initiatives will continue.  Ah well at least they are going to balance themselves out even though the intention of these fair districts are motivated by the same reasons majority parties have for gerrymandering their states.  Maybe I can suspend my huge suspicions and be naive for now and hope that over the next couple of years, all states will have fair districts even though they'll be pushed for partisan reasons.  One can dream.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #394 on: November 03, 2010, 06:39:03 PM »

Why?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #395 on: November 03, 2010, 06:42:55 PM »

NV-03, one seat in the state Senate, and two seats in the Assembly are all the Republicans picked up.  They failed to win any of the statewide contests except Gov. and Lt. Gov. (which they already held), and are still in the minority in the legislature.  They didn't even pick up Rory Reid's seat on the Clark County Commission, which means that that body remains 100% Democratic.  All told, the Dems had a pretty decent night in Nevada.

He's probably going to lose.  It has closed to less than a 5000 vote lead for Dudley with 4% of the vote still out and almost all of it in Multnomah County.  Every Dudley county except for one is at 100% reporting, and that one is already at 99%.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #396 on: November 03, 2010, 06:43:49 PM »

That defeats the purpose of representation.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #397 on: November 03, 2010, 06:50:26 PM »

That defeats the purpose of representation.

How are the people better represented simply because the district is a box?  Are most communities of interest box-shaped? No.

Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #398 on: November 03, 2010, 07:25:58 PM »

The CT-GOV race is going to be nasty -- I just don't see Malloy pulling within the 2000 votes needed to instigate a recount.  The only way I see Malloy winning is if there was some discrepancy in the results that the SoS recorded.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #399 on: November 03, 2010, 07:35:40 PM »

Considered putting this in its own thread, but not sure on whether that would fall within/without the rules. Not actually sure that this hasn't been noted yet either, anyway...

In Iowa, Voters Oust Judges Over Marriage Issue - New York Times

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It was noted by me, although I haven't posted about it.  Actually, it is widely noted hereabouts.  The local public radio station, KUNI, has been talking about this issue all day long.  In the spirit of full disclosure, I voted NO on all of the retentions of all current justices.  I think I posted that in another thread.

I disagree with the assertion that is widely being made, by NPR, the New York Times, and apparently by Senator Franzl.  I, for one, did not vote NO because of the gay marriage issue, and I am not aware of any polling data that supports the conclusion that anyone else did either.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies