A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:39:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 291133 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: June 09, 2011, 08:52:07 PM »

April 4th, 1979
Director of Central Intelligence Richard Bissell leaves his office and heads for his car. News about Three-Mile Island had slowed down, and so has the news in general. Despite debates about where the economy is heading, not much is going on, leaving the media to pursue less followed stories.
    Reporter1: Director Bissell! Director Bissell!
    Reporter2: Sir! Director Bissell! We have some questions for you!
    Reporter3: Director Bissell, ABC!
    Reporter2: Director Bissell, how do you respond to allegations of possible CIA involvment in the bugging of Chairman Robert Gates?
    Bissell: What? Oh that story!? Utterly absurd. I have no ideas what you're talking about in terms of "CIA involvement"! Do you think I have any idea why he might've been bugged? Well if you think so, I don't.
    Reporter3: According to rumors floating around the Washington DC Police Department, suspects as to the bugging of Gates are, and this is according to rumors, linked to the CIA.
    Reporter1: Did you know anything about this?
    Reporter4: What were your motives behind this?
    Bissell: I've never even heard of this rumor, and if I had, I guarantee you I would never have men like that working in the CIA! What do you mean "what are my motives"? I haven't done anything, and neither has the CIA!
    Reporter1: But aren't you worried about some sort of connection? Gates and you were, reportedly, in a-
    Bissell: It's not as if the bastard should've been snooping around CIA stuff! That wasn't and isn't his place!
    Reporter2: Wait, what?
    Reporter4: Sir, does this mean you're connected to this?

Bissell climbs into his government supplied black car and is driven away, out of the parking lot, leaving the reporters there. However, the entire incident has been taped and will be put on television for the news later that night.

Later that same day...
You must be logged in to read this quote.
    Kennedy: Oh God, why did he say that? Why did he say that?
    Shriver: We do not need this, we do not need this.
    Daley: Do you want me to get Bissell on the phone?
    Kennedy: No. Just get him in my office for tomorrow.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #576 on: June 10, 2011, 02:44:10 PM »

April 5th, 1979
Director of Central Intelligence Richard Bissell is shown into the Oval Office. Since yesterday evening he's had a feeling that he would have to talk to Kennedy.
    Kennedy: You know why you're here.
    Bissell: Assuming you're referring to yesterday's comments, then yes.
    Kennedy: Why? Why did you have to blow up in fron of the Washington media, the pack of vultures they are. Why?
    Bissell: I was tired, annoyed, and caught off guard. That's the only explanation.
    Kennedy: No matter what gets proven in court, in the eyes of the Washington media, you have become public enemy number one. They're going to aim everything they've got at you, you understand?
    Bissell: As I always have.
    Kennedy: You know what, Dick? I think it'd be best, if, after the operation, you step down as CIA Director.
    Bissell: I was afraid you'd be thinking that.
    Kennedy: It's best, in everyone's interests, if you disappear. Don't get me wrong, your expertise and experience has been indispensable these last two years, and we're almost done with this entire matter. But, you've become a public liability and regardless of whether or not the media will forget you, you're owed a retirement as well.
    Bissell: I understand.
    Kennedy: HOw much longer can we be expected to wait for the final deployment?
    Bissell: We've arranged it for July 4th, Mr. President. As fitting a day as any.
    Kennedy: Good. After that, Dick, you'll be in retirement.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #577 on: June 10, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »

April 5th, 1979
Department of Energy Created, Kennedy touts Carter as Appointee!

In a vote on Capitol Hill today, the Senate quickly confirmed the Energy Observance and Policy Formation Act which has created the United States Department of Energy. The act has its roots in the ongoing oil crisis. As prices have risen over the last decade, the demand grew more and more for the development of alternative enrgy. The Department of Energy is seen as the first big step the Federal Government has taken towards that beyond the development of nuclear power. The rush to create a Department of Energy was only increased by the incredibly recent Three-Mile Island disaster. And who shall be the first Secretary of Energy? According to President Kennedy, it shall be none other than Defense Secretary Jimmy Carter who since his days in the Navy has held an interest in energy issues and has experience in the field of nuclear power. Carter later today confirmed Kennedy's announcement that he will be leaving his post as Secretary of Defense. This leaves two positions in the Kennedy Administration that will soon need to be filled. Ralph Nader is leaving the position of Interior Secretary. With two posts to fill, one being Secretary of Defense, belt-way insiders are wondering who will be appointed.

Secretary of Defense Jimmy Carter will become America's first Energy Secretary

In Congress, Carter is expected to be appointed smoothly. Despite Republican comments about naivete, Carter has enjoyed, for the most part, bi-partisan Congressional approval in the past and Senate Minortiy Leader Howard Baker has said "He certainly has the credentials for it".

Other News

CIA Director Richard Bissell in Hot Water?
While being questioned by a mob of reporters on the way to his car yesterday evening, it seems that CIA Director Richard Bissell's angry response to questions over CIA involvement in the bugging of Bob Gates has revealed more than one might like. Responding as Bissell did, saying:
seems to have revealed that in fact Bissell did have a hand in the bugging of Chairman Bob Gates. Gates, who has been engaged in a little publicized battle with Bissell over CIA funding and auditing, has not made friends within the intelligence community despite being a former CIA Director. Did Bissell have a hand in, or at least know, about the bugging of Bob Gates? Was the CIA responsible for the seemingly disappeared file on the CIA from Gates' office around that same time? If so, what might the CIA be hiding? Since the Agnew scandal in 1974, it doesn't seem as if the government is fit to blindly trust any longer.

Is Hatfield making his move?
The Oregon Senator, a man respected by members of both parties and a fierce critic of both the war in Palestine and the incursion in Vietnam, seems to have risen as of late. A twice-run Presidential candidate and the 1968 Vice-Presidential nominee, it seems as if he should be entitled to the nomination come 1980. A critic of nuclear power and a man who has been described at different times as "Libertarian", "Moderate", "Liberal", and even "Conservative" on one or two occasions, is a man hard to pin down politically. However, he might have just the right mix of beliefs to united the Republican coalition next year.

What ever happend to George McGovern?
The man who for fourteen years was a champion of Liberal causes in the United States Senate, the man who was among many in both parties to call for an end to the Vietnam War, and one of the many Liberals that John F Kennedy alienated during his eight years in office. Where is he? Since being elected as Vice-President to, of all people, a Kennedy, it seems that George McGovern has disappeared. Not taking the activist Vice-Presidential role that George Bush took, nor the quiet policy wonk that Terry Sanford evolved into, he seems to have taken the Gerald Ford method of being Vice-President: to act as a place-holder. It seems now that McGovern's only function these last two years has been to attempt to hold at least some of the Senate's Liberals with President Kennedy. While people such as Frank Church and Walter Mondale have kept by the President thanks to McGovern's efforts, it seems that no man has been able to reel in the ever n-tameable Mike Gravel. Is this it? Is this all that McGovern now spends his time doing? It seems that the New-Left must find a New Face to lead it forward.

It seems that upon taking the office of Vice-President, George McGovern has disappeared
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #578 on: June 12, 2011, 01:10:28 PM »

April 7th, 1979
Hatfield Announces Candidacy!
Before a crowd in Dallas, Oregon, earlier today, Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon, a two-time Presidential candidate, declared the he will run a third time, and he says that it will be successful. "Over the last couple of years", he starts off "We have seen many things. Little economic improvement. Rising unemployment. An ongoing war in Palestine. Fiscal Irresponsibility. Yes, America, we have seen many things, but one thing we have not seen is Progress. Progress towards continued equality and freedom. Process towards continued safety for our nation and the world. Progress towards economic and social liberty. Progress back towards the Constitution. As President, I intend to keep those principles at the top of my agenda." The Senator goes on to cite the troubles of the Kennedy Administration, including Three-Mile Island, recent questions about Director of Central Intelligence Richard Bissell, and the shaky economy. His entry marks the entry of the biggest candidate to date. It is beleived that he can be a successful moderate to Libertarian candidate in the field, though Seantor Robert Taft Jr. will definitely put up a fight for the anti-war vote.

Republican Primary Polling, 4/7/79

Blue-Congressman Donald Rumsfeld of Illinois
Green-Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon
Yellow-Senator Robert Taft Jr. of Ohio
Red-General Alexander Haig of Pennsylvania

As can be seen, it seems that McCloskey's Presidential campaign has been whiped otu once and for all. After weeks of week polling and only winning a few traditionally Liberal states, McCloskey's efforts seem to have been obliterated by Hatfield's entrance. Hatfield seems to have beaten McCloskey not just in polling, but in all the fields: Experience, popularity, name recognition, and appeal. It will soon be seen if Hatfield can beat him on organization as well, though that should be easy.

Now, Republicans seem to be waiting on the entrances of only a couple more: Governor Ronald Reagan of California, Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker of Tennessee, and Former HUD Secretary John Lindsay of New York. Each represent their respective factions: Reagan, the Conservatives, Baker the Centrists and those that can work across the aisle, and Lindsay the openly Liberal. It is hoped by Liberal Republicans that Lindsay can become a serious represntative of the North-East, as opposed to Hatfield's "Libertarian" and "Western Progressive" stances. Conservatives are hoping Ronald Reagan will replace Rumsfeld, as Reagan can compete much better out West and down South. As of now, Rumsfeld is only winning the South by default. Centrists; Nixon, Agnew, and Bush supporters; are hoping that Baker can represent the type of Republican that has won elections these last twenty-eight years: Moderates. However, the entries of these three and how well they might hypothetically do all remains to be seen.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #579 on: June 12, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2011, 07:48:25 PM by Angry White Male »

List of United States Secretaries of States 1961-1979
54. Margaret Chase Smith; January 29th, 1961-January 20th, 1965
          President: Richard M Nixon
55. Henry M Jackson; January 20th, 1965-January 20th, 1973
          President: John F Kennedy
56. Nelson Rockefeller; January 20th, 1973-January 20th, 1977
          President: Spiro T Agnew, George HW Bush
57. Zbigniew Brzezinski; January 20th, 1977-?
          President: Robert F Kennedy

List of United States Secretaries of the Treasury
57. Charles A Halleck; January 20th, 1961-January 20th, 1965
58. Robert McNamara; January 20th, 1965-January 20th, 1965
59. Gerald R Ford; January 20th, 1973-July 8th, 1974
Vacant July 8th, 1974-July 10th, 1974
60. John G Tower; July 10th, 1974-January 20th, 1977
          President: George HW Bush
61. George W Romney; January 20th, 1977-?

List of United States Secretaries of Defense 1961-1979

8. Dogulas MacArthur; January 20th, 1961-November 7th, 1962
Vacant November 7th, 1962-November 21st, 1962
9. Walter H Judd; November 21st, 1962-January 20th, 1965
10. James Roosevelt; January 20th, 1965-January 2nd, 1967
11. John B Connally; January 2nd, 1967-January 3rd, 1973
Vacant January 3rd, 1973-January 20th, 1973
12. Barry Goldwater; January 20th, 1973-July 15th, 1974
13. John Eisenhower; July 15th, 1974-January 20th, 1977
          President: George HW Bush
14. James E Carter; January 20th, 1977-?

List of United States Attorneys General 1961-1979
64. John V Lindsay; January 20th, 1961-January 20th, 1965
65. Robert F Kennedy; January 20th, 1965-December 18th, 1972
Vacant December 18th, 1972-January 20th, 1973
66. John M Ashbrook; January 20th, 1973-July 19th, 1974
67. Edward Brooke; July 19th, 1974-?
          President: George HW Bush, Robert F Kennedy
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #580 on: June 15, 2011, 06:54:36 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2011, 07:22:23 PM by Cathcon »

Quote from: Restricted
And yes, in every poll Reagan was outright leading Rumsfeld and, with just a hint of a primary run, would most likely overshadow Hatfield. Taft, meanwhile, was scrambling in the aftermath of Hatfield's announcement.
The anti-war Liberal Republicans had seemed to have found solace in Taft after McCloskey's continualy sinking. However, with Hatfield, the "Romney Republicans" found their true champion. However, there was a snag as always: "What real difference is there between him and Kennedy?" many would ask. Both were pro-life and overall Centrists on social issues. Hatfield was only slightly to the right of Kennedy on economic policy, and, at least in rhetoric, they agreed on the war, though Hatfield seemed to favor an immediate withdrawal. Hatfield would take wide steps to separate himself from Kennedy in the coming months.

Howard Baker, another one of the few frontrunners in the un-announced field, was in a difficult position. He had a large amount of experience in the Senate, having served since 1977. He was well liked by both Republicans and Democrats. He was from a Southern state and could secure the upper-south where Democrats had come out fifty-fifty or better in past elections. However, his position as Senate Minority Leader did not allow him to freely campaign, and he had a good shot in Iowa, a rural state that had voted for fellow Centrist Nixon in 1972. Baker dearly wanted to be President and felt 1980 was a good year to run, having declined in the last open year, 1972. He would have to make a difficult decision.
          In a call to former President Nixon on April 29th, he asked, rather diplomatically,, what he hoped would be a question with a good answer. "Eh, hello Dick. I'm Senate Majority Leader Howard Baker." "Yes, Howard. We've met before, campaigning in 1966, and in the 1972 primary where you endorsed me. How may I help?" "Well, Dick. I've been thinking. 1980 could be a good year for Republicans. I've been thinking of running, but my duties as Senate Minority Leader seem to be taking precedent. I was hoping that, should I run, you'd be willing to endorse me for the nomination." "Howard, I'd be honored to endorse you. One of the few truly sensible men left who can unite the Republicans. By now you've probably guessed I won't support Reagan, especially after 1964." "1964?" "When that bastard resigned so he could run for Senate and endorsed that damn Jew Goldwater! Or in 1972 when he decides to run against me!" Baker was put off by Nixon's outburst, but he had been prepared for it, and knew it was par for the Nixon course. "Now, I always liked Rummy", the President continued "He's been a good Congressman and a leader in the House. However, I don't think he can run neck and neck with Reagan like you can. Yes, if you announce, you will have my full support." "Thank you Mister President." the awkward phone call ended, but Baker had what he had asked for.

For President Kennedy, there were different problems. To him, the basic mindset was "The issue of the war is solved. It's the economy that we need to take care of, it's energy that we need to take care of, and it's welfare reform that we need to take care of." However, the main, growing problem was the trouble that Director of Central Intelligence Richard Bissell had gotten himself into. While being hounded by reporters on April 4th over the issue of the wire-tapping on Bob Gates, Bissell blew up, now famously saying "It's not as if the bastard should've been snooping around CIA stuff! That wasn't and isn't his place!" Those words would prove daming as immediately the press and, less enthusiastically, the Washington DC Department, began investigation into the shadowy potential link between the bugging and the CIA.

-Republicans in Revolution, Bob Woodward, (c) 2007
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #581 on: June 17, 2011, 11:30:51 AM »

Man just want to say I admire the amount of effort put into this TL.  Honestly, I probably couldn't be this dedicated without a gun to my head.
Don't worry, I read this stuff I'm just usually too lazy to comment on it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #582 on: June 17, 2011, 12:33:23 PM »

Man just want to say I admire the amount of effort put into this TL.  Honestly, I probably couldn't be this dedicated without a gun to my head.
Its a amazing timeline, with a hell of alot of work put into it!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #583 on: June 17, 2011, 01:50:29 PM »

Its a amazing timeline, with a hell of alot of work put into it!

Thanks! I'm putting a lot of work specifically into this year because it's important for future development.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #584 on: June 17, 2011, 07:14:07 PM »

April 12th, 1979
Bissell Subpoenaed!
Yesterday, after days of speculation, a subpoena for the testimony of Director of Central Intelligence Richard Bissell was issued by the Washington DC Police. While a Testimony would ordinarily be issued by a court, it can be issued by a government agency and it has. The testimony, scheduled for April 15th, will be the first part of court proceedings relating to the bugging of Chairman Robert Gates, who, as faithful readers will know, had been engaged in a conflict with the CIA over funding and the de-classification of CIA expenses. This would make him a very likely target of any illegal CIA activity.

DCI Richard Bissell has been subpoenaed to appear before a Washington DC court on April 15th

This subpoena was prompted by an outburst by Bissell on the third of this month when he claimed, when asked about the bugging of Gates' office, that "It's not as if the bastard should've been snooping around CIA stuff! That wasn't and isn't his place!" Not only this, but evidence that CIA operatives, currently stationed in Washington DC, may have been involved due to evidence that the police have not disclosed, has been eating at the minds of the press, the people, and law enforcement in general.

To those who are scratching their heads, wondering "Could corruption leak this high up in government?", one must remember that only five years ago America's own President resigned after a scandal, not involving bugging or secret wars, or trying to gain too much control, but merely because of greed and illegal corporate give-aways to pay for campaign contributions and personal gifts. America's political system seems to have lost a large amount of hte faith that people had in it, and a large amount of its righit to that faith.

Other News

McCarthy Announces Public Speaking Tour
Those were the words spoken by former Senator Eugene McCarthy earlier today. The two-time Presidential candidate and former three-term Minnesota Senator, rumored to be a possible challenger to President Kennedy in 1980, seems to be attempting a return to the spotlight. Of note is the amount of colleges and venues on McCarthy's list that seem to be in the Mid-West and the North-East. Besides places like UCLA and the Waldorf-Austoria, both of which are high-profile places on McCarthy's list, there also seem to be a number of colleges in Iowa, Minnesota, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont, all early races in the primary calendar, on his list. In 1968, McCarthy won three states in the primaries, as well as a surprise finish in New Hampshire with 44% of the vote thanks to high youth turn-out. Only three years ago, McCarthy ran again, only winning in Vermont. However, he did place a solid second in Iowa and a close third in New Hampshire, nearly beating Charlton Heston there for second.

Former President Agnew to release memoirs
Former President Agnew, a man who, since his resignation has disappeared from the public eye, says that he has plans to release "The full, truthful, no-holds-barred ture story" of his Presidency in the coming months. Rumors are abounding of what the memoir might entail, and among those rumors are the predicted finger-pointing. When asked by the press, Senator and former Defense Secretary Barry Goldwater claimed "When you hear about the true story coming from the most dis-honest man I've ever known, you don't tend to believe him".

Disgraced former President Agnew will be releasing his memoirs sometime this year
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #585 on: June 23, 2011, 08:57:21 AM »

April 12th, 1979
    Kennedy: ...Now you had better go up there three days from now knowing damn well what you're going to say.
    Bissell: I"ll only tell them what they deserve to hear.
    Kennedy: Good.

April 15th, 1979
Bissell to Speak Before Court Today!

Director of Central Inteligence Richard Bissell, a man who has gone under severe scrutiny since the Washington DC Police Department turned up a CIA agent as one of their suspects in the bugging of Chairman Bob Gates, will face court today and be questioned. Very few have any idea of what is to turn up, if Bissell was in any way involved, or if, should he be involved, if the necessary evidence will turn up. Defending Bissell is Attorney and former member of the Whitehouse legal staff Rudy Giuliani. A man who has worked for big name Democrats in the past and was Kennedy's legal counsel in the 1976 Presidential campaign, Giuliani's DC connections will most likely be of no use in this case. Nevertheless, this friend of Kennedy was deployed to help another Kennedy friend, Bissell, and this only reeks of suspicion among some inside the Beltway as it seemingly connects Kennedy to Bissell's plight.

Attorney and Kennedy friend Rudy Giuliani will be defending Bissell later today

When Giuliani was asked about what will be going on in today's court proceedings, Giuliani replied only with "my client will defend himself and the honorable organization the CIA. There should be no reason, at least in my mind, to accuse Mr. Bissell of these allegations." As for the Washington DC police, they are being represented by the Washington DC District Attorney.

Waiting for the trial to start, Beltway insiders sit with baited breath to see Richard Bissell put on the stand along with others including suspects. This case has been bothering the police since May 3rd and now, the court case to find out who has done this and why has begun. The results will be reported on in the evening edition as well as tomorrow.

Other News

Carter to face Senate committee for confirmation as Energy Secretary
Senate Majority Leader Robert Byrd has announced that the confirmation of Defense Secretary Jimmy Carter will be overseen by the Agriculture Sub-Committee on Energy, Science, and Technology. With a Democrat chairing the Sub-Committee and no big disputes over Carter's appointability, it is expected to be an easy confirmation.

...And Carter's replacement?
Rumors has spread that Navy Secretary Stansfield Turner, a personal friend of Carter, will be the nation's next Secretary of Defense. He has, in the past, been President of the Naval War College where he vastly imporved curriculum, Commander in the United States Second Fleet, and Commander in the Southern Region of NATO. While his experience is nearly entirely in the Navy, he has worked in the Pentagon the last two years and would, of course, have the blessing of current Secretary of Defense Carter. No word has been heard on a possible replacement for Turner, though former Navy Secretary John Warner would most likely be the choice that Republicans would push in the event of Turner's ascension to Secretary of Defense, and is already being pushed to in fact be Carter's succesor.

In another part of Kennedy's cabinet, the impending resignation of Ralph Nader from the post of Secretary of the Interior. Come May 1st, about a half-month away, Nader will no longer be Secretary of the Interior. The fact that Kennedy has not announced anybody has some worried as, should no-one be there to succeed Nader, an interim leader would come from within the Department to lead it until the position is filled.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #586 on: June 23, 2011, 09:51:19 PM »

List of United States Secretaries of the Navy
(For the Navy as a Department of the Pentagon, not it's own cabinet position)

4. Robert P Anderson; January 20th, 1961-January 20th, 1965
5. Cyrus Vance; January 20th, 1965-September 13th, 1971
6. Paul Nitze; September 13th, 1971-January 20th, 1973
7. John Warner; January 20th, 1973-January 20th, 1977
8. Stansfield Turner; January 20th, 1977-?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #587 on: June 23, 2011, 09:51:57 PM »

Keeping track of all the different cabinet positions should come in handy later, if just for the sake of keeping track of them. (I like lists)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #588 on: June 26, 2011, 05:24:52 PM »

April 15th, 1979
Director of Central Intelligence Richard Bissell and his defense Rudy Giuliani watch as the trial to get to the bottom of the bugging of Robert Gates begins.
    District Attorney: The state now calls Director of Central Intelligence Richard Bissell to the stand.
    Clerk: Raise your right hand. (Bissell raises his right hand) Do you solmenly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you God?
    Bissell: I do. (Bissell takes his seat)
    District Attorney: Now, Mr. Bissell. How long have you worked at the CIA?
    Bissell: Since 1954.
    District Attorney: And what did you do before that?
    Bissell: I worked with the Office of Strategic Services and lived in Washington DC.
    District Attorney: When did you fist hear about the bugging of Chariman Robert Gates?
    Bissell: March fifth this year.
    District Attorney: How long have you known Robert Gates?
    Giuliani: Objection! If ths District Attorney will explain what bearing this has on the case!
    His Honor: Sustained!
    District Attorney: How long have you know Robert Gates?
    Bissell: I first met him in November of 1978. I'd heard about him since he was appointed to head his Comission in January of 1978.
    District Attorney: What were the circumstances of your meetings with him?
    Bissell: He was attempting to make public secrets of national security in order to look for waste.
    District Attorney: Would you have any reason to bug him?
    Giuliani: Objection!
    Bissell: No. There is nothing I would have gained from learning about who he talks to on the phone.

The day goes on in court as the testimonies of others, including two suspects and those of James McCord and Robert Gates are taken.
    Gates: On March 3rd, as I recall, while looking through my file cabinets with my secretary for a missing file, incidentally on the CIA, I happened to look down at my phone cord and noticed something strange attached to it.
    District Attorney: State your name, your occupation, and your history with the CIA.
    McCord: James Walter McCord Jr. I an electronics expert who has done work with various parts of the government here in Washington DC. I worked for the CIA during the nineteen-sixties and nineteen-seventies.
    District Attorney: I understand you actually worked on Spiro T Agnew's Presidential campaign in 1972.
    McCord: That is correct.
    District Attorney: Would that have any affect on your testimony here today?
    McCord: No sir, and I don't see any reason why it should.
    District Attorney: Describe the events of March third of this year relating to Robert Gates.
    McCord: At around 9:00 AM, I got a call from the Washington DC police department asking me to visit the office of Robert Gates to check something out, telling me that would be heading there as well. When I arrived at the Watergate complex, I found Gates' room and floor numbers and proceeded up there. When I got there, Mr. Gates showed me what he had a question about and I confirmed his suspicions that it was indeed a phone bug and told him that the one found on his secretary's phone cord was one as well.
    District Attorney: Anything noticable about it?
    McCord: It seemed to be the type that the government might use, such as the CIA or the military, for bugging someone, though it wasn't that sophisticated or high tech.
    District Attorney: When did you break into the office of Robert Gates?
    Suspect1: March 1st of this year.
    District Attorney: And what were you ordered to do there?
    Suspect1: We were told to tap both his phones and to destroy the file that he had on the CIA.
    District Attorney: Who ordered you to do this and when?
    Suspect1: We received orders on February 27th from a higher up that we were ordered to do so "in the interest of national security", and we did so accordingly.
    District Attorney: Did he give any indication that they came from Mr. Bissell or from anyone else?
    Suspect1: He said that these orders came from the highest authority. However, he gave no names or titles.
    Suspect2: I have no idea why you think my fingerprints might be on that bug and this is in no way proving anything about me or the CIA!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #589 on: June 27, 2011, 09:29:57 PM »

What came after Bissell's testimony and the events of the trial following would result in what is now known as the "May Massacre". Despite the announcements of resignations in mid to late April, the actual resignations and the filling of those spots in the cabinet would mostly happen in early May. Following announcements that the CIA was "most definitely" connected to the break-in and bugging of Bob Gates' office phone despite Bissell's denial, Attorney General Edward Brooke, a Republican, announced that he would be leaving his post as Attorney General come May 5th of that year. In order to quickly fill the spot, Kennedy tapped Colorado Senator Gary Hart. Hart had worked with Kennedy since 1967 and had worked as Deputy Attorney General (1967-1970) and Ambassador to the United Nations (1970-1973). With his four years in the Senate and experience close to power, Hart would make for an easy confirmation despite close ties to President Kennedy.

On April 29th, after two weeks of attempted damage control following the testimony of a confirmed suspect in the break-in, a CIA agent, another great revalation would be made. A memo sent from Whitehouse Chief of Staff Richard M Daley to Richard Bissell would specifically order Bissell to:

With that leak to the press, President Kennedy demanded Daley's resignation, calling in Sargent Shriver to become Chief of Staff.

Not only were two cabinet replacements taking place with a space to fill in Health and Human Services where Shriver left and Hart having to be confirmed as Attorney General, other shakeups were happening as well. Secretary of the Interior Ralph Nader would be resigning and that neede filling. With Jimmy Carter being confirmed as Energy Secretary, the position as Secretary of Defense needed filling. At the CIA, it had become known that Bissell would soon be resigning and that hole needed filling. It was also rumored that Stansfield Turner would be leaving to fill one of those positions, which would not help any bit in the attempting to fill the increasing number of holes in the administration.

With the releasing of the February 17th memo, Judge John Sirica would subpoena all Pentagon files as well as the office of Whitehouse Chief of Staff and all files there-in. With that, the biggest part of the scandal would occur with members of the CIA burning a number of documents relating to their activities over the years hailing from the fifties. This included but was not limited to MK ULTRA, covert operations overseas, and of course Kennedy's now well-known Cuba plan. In a tell-all interview in 1987, an anonymous former CIA agent woudl detail the history of Kennedy's "Cuba plan" and leave the public with even more doubts regarding President Kennedy's legacy.

At one o'clock in the morning on May 4th, 1979, the biggest known burning of government documents occured with literally file cabinets full of information being lost. What exactly was in those remains a mystery to this day besides the men who wrote and read them.

With all that happening in the months of April and May, Kennedy would face a very tough fight to fill the rest of his cabinet. His attempts to confirm normally harmless nominees to positions proved extremely difficult. In order to fill the vacancy left by George Romney at Treasury after his resignation, Robert McNamara, the Secretary of Commerce and the Secretary of the Treasury for John F Kennedy, faced incredible opposition despite lack of involvement in foreign policy or the CIA. However, Kennedy would eventually fill his cabinet:

The Cabinet of President Robert F Kennedy as of June 30th, 1979
Secretary of State: Zbigniew Brzezinski
Secretary of the Treasury: Robert McNamara
Secretary of Defense: Stansfield Turner
Attorney General: Gary Hart
Secretary of the Interior: Stewart Udall
Secretary of Agriculture: Bill Clinton
Secretary of Commerce: John Connally
Secretary of Labor: Joe Biden
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Charlton Heston
Secretary of Education: Terry Sanford
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Shirley Chisholm
Secretary of Transportation: Kevin H White
Secretary of Energy: Jimmy Carter
Secretary of the Navy: John Warner
Whitehouse Chief of Staff: Sargent Shriver
Director of Central Intelligence: Joe Califano
-Veil: The Presidency of Robert F Kennedy, Bob Woodward, (c) 1988
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #590 on: June 27, 2011, 09:30:28 PM »

Hope I didn't jump the shark. Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #591 on: June 30, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »

Just finished reading this all, it's fascinating! I exhort you to keep going!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #592 on: June 30, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »

I think my favorite part of this timeline is the alternate careers so many have taken. Secretary of Defense Goldwater, Dubya in Congress, there are so many good examples in this amazing timeline!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #593 on: June 30, 2011, 08:17:59 PM »

Just finished reading this all, it's fascinating! I exhort you to keep going!

Wow. I honestly can't imagine having to actually read all forty pages of this stuff, especially looking back on how I let some things play out and just how I did things back in the earlier days of this tl with all the time warps. Thanks, and I intend to when I find out how I'm gonna get the rest of 1979 done.

I think my favorite part of this timeline is the alternate careers so many have taken. Secretary of Defense Goldwater, Dubya in Congress, there are so many good examples in this amazing timeline!

Well expect some more alternate careers, and they may even concern some of your favorite politicians. Wink You'll just have to wait and see though.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #594 on: July 01, 2011, 11:26:01 AM »

May 10th, 1979
"With dishonesty in the Kennedy Administration becoming clearer and clearer by the day, with Kennedy having abandoned what he called two of his greatest goals, those of helping the poor and bringing our nation under fiscal restraint, and with this economy further sinking into the ground due to Kennedy's policy of abandoning the issue, I declare my run for the Presidency of the United States of America!"
-Former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development John Lindsay

May 28th, 1979
"The war must end because it is not morally justified. It is not morally justified for one country to dictate what another shall do. It is not morally justified to send off American children to die in the dessert in the name of one man. one man, who they themselves never knew and never met. It is not morally justified to bomb civillians in the name of Liberty and not morally justified to uproot an entire country in the name of Justice. That is why I am running. The Kennedy Adminstration has only done things morally unjustifiable, such as attempted espionage on a man who is trying to cut waste in the military. Such as attempting to over throw foreign leaders and put in place American friendly dictators. All these are why I'm running for President of the United States."
-Former Senator Eugene McCarthy

June 23rd, 1979
"The Whitehouse seems to be void of certain necessary things to governance. Common sense. An ability to actually work with Congress. A connection to the governed. That is why I am announcing my campaign for the Republican nomination for PResident of the United States. In Washington I have been a voice of reson and compromise these last twelve and a half years and I will continue that tradition in the Whitehouse!"
-Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #595 on: July 01, 2011, 11:32:59 AM »

November 13th, 1979
"I'm here tonight to announce my intention to seek the nomination for President of the United States. I'm sure each of us has seen our country from a number of viewpoints, depending on where we've lived and what we've done. For me it's been as a boy growing up in several small towns in Illinois, as a young man in Iowa trying to get a start in the years of the Great Depression, and, later in California for most of my adult life. I've seen America from the stadium press box as a sportscaster. As an actor, office of my labor union. Soldier. Officeholder. And, as both Democrat and Republican. I've lived in an America where those who often had too little to eat outnumbered those who had enough. There've been five wars in my lifetime. And I've seen my country face financial ruin in the Depression. I've also seen the great strength of this nation, as it pulled itself up from that ruin to become the dominant force in the world. To me, our country is a living, breathing presence, unimpressed by what others say is impossible. Proud of its own success. Generous. Yes, and naive. Sometimes wrong, never mean. And always impatient to provide a better life for its people in a framework of basic fairness and freedom.

You know someone once said the difference between an American and any other kind of person is that an American lives in anticipation of the future because he knows it'll be a great place. Other people fear the future as just a repetition of past failures. Well there's a lot of truth to that. If there's one thing that we're sure of, it's that history need not be re-lived. That nothing is impossible. And that man is capable of improving his circumstances beyond what we're told is fact. Now there are those in our land today however, that would have us believe that the United States, like other great civilizations of the past, has reached the zenith of its power. That we're weak and fearful, reduced to bickering with each other, and no longer possess the will and moral suredness to cope with out problems. Much of this talk has come from leaders who claim that our power is too difficult to handle. We're supposed to meagerly accept their failures as the most which can be humanly done. They tell us we must learn to accept American defeats overseas, and teach our children that America is no longer capable of beating threatening forces in foreign lands. That the America of the coming years will be a place where, because of our past military expenditures, it will be impossible to defend America or the world abroad anymore. They also tell us that we shouldn’t expect the best from our public servants. That scandal, whether it involves money or inappropriate use of our nation’s intelligence institutions, is now something to be expected. I don't believe that. And I don't believe you do either. That's why I'm seeking the Presidency. I can not and will not stand by and see this great country destroy itself. Our leaders attempt to blame their failures and moral shortcomings on circumstances beyond their control.

The crisis we face is not the result of any failure of the American spirit, it's a failure of our leaders, to be morally upright and honest and to give our people something to order their lives by. If I am elected I shall regard my election as proof that the people of the United States have decided to set a new agenda, and have recognized that this nation can no longer stand the overwhelming burden of the state and the moral corruption of its leaders."
-Governor Ronald Reagan

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #596 on: July 01, 2011, 01:22:47 PM »

Out of curiosity, the war in Palestine..Thats a very small area. Is the fighting all in the West Bank?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #597 on: July 01, 2011, 01:33:50 PM »

Out of curiosity, the war in Palestine..Thats a very small area. Is the fighting all in the West Bank?

The war was a war against the government which was discovered to be funding terrorist actions including the assassination of Henry M Jackson. Therefore, it's mostly a nation-wide fight and as in Iraw IRL, they're fighting geurilla insurgents and results are mixed. Despite victory in Vietnam, we still won the using brute force so it's gone down in history much like WWII. Therefore, despite victory in Vietnam, forces are still untrained for fighting geurillas. All in all, the fighting isn't just in one area. (after more research, you may get a better answer than this)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #598 on: July 05, 2011, 10:36:55 PM »

November 14th, 1979
The office of the President of the United States...
    Cadell: McCarthy's up in Iowa-
    Kennedy: What?
    Cadell: He's very popular among the youth there, not to mention his being from a neighboring, agricultural state.
    Kennedy: And New Hampshire?
    Cadell: As long as you can keep the imports from Massachusetts going and warn the rural New Englander's about McCarthy's radicalism, you should be in for a 50% or more victory.
    Kennedy: Good. How're Republicans polling against themselves?
    Cadell: Well, since Reagan's entry yesterday, it's a strange map that's coming forward.

Each candidate has their areas of strength. Reagan, who is represented by orange, is doing well in the South-West, and pieces of the Mid-West, even getting a plurality in the North-East. Following behind is Baker, who is red. He is the obvious Southern candidate and is making roads towards the North. Hatfield, who is green, has his obvious strength in the Pacific West and is slowly gaining supporters in the Northern areas of the plains and the Rockies. Rumsfeld, in blue, was once the front-runner of the announce candidates. Now, he's in fifth out of the announced, but is still hanging in, winning pluralities in his home state and Michigan. Finally, Lindsay, who is the Light Blue in the North-East, is getting the traditional Liberal Republicans. He fails, however, to even capture his home state, which even Rumsfeld did. Pollsters are citing the fact that the main primary votes come from upstate and that even downstate in New York City, he isn't that popular due to his tenure as Mayor.
    Kennedy: How are we doing against any of them?
    Cadell: I'm going to be frank with you. Not good. Scenario one, with Reagan winning the nomination, is only the beginning.

-Blue-Governor Ronald Reagan of California
-Red-President Robert F Kennedy of Massachusetts
-Green-tossup

Against Hatfield, the upper West is solid, but you make up for it in the South, but nothing is guaranteed as Texas is a toss-up.

Blue-Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon (294)
Red-President Robert F Kennedy of Massachusetts (176)
Green-Tossup (68)
Heck, even your lead in Hawaii is threatened. He's getting forty-five percent of the vote over there. At the some time, however, your vote among the white working class goes up, making New Jersey and Michigan solid territory again, at least for now.

Looking at Baker, he's probably the biggest threat at this stage. Despite drawing a solid south, he threatens part of his own base in the South with his pro-choice views and while he can swing moderates and Independents, the white working class is nearly as dis-satisfied with him as they are with Hatfield.

Blue-Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee (314)
Red-President Robert F Kennedy of Massachusets (176)
Green-Tossup (50)
Baker and Hatfield both present interesting scenarios. On one hand, both can draw moderates and independents. On the other hand, they are both not as popular with working class whites than Reagan is. Blue collar workers prefer Reagan who, while being more Conservative, has some very Populist under-tones and is overall more charismatic than his opponents. Hatfield is perceived as the "hippie Republican" like how McCarthy is perceived as a "hippie Democrat". This means that Hatfield and and Baker are actually attracting more Liberal Democrats than Reagan, who is attracting Conservative Democrats. The only case where either Baker or Hatfield is attracting more self-described Conservative Democrats is Baker in the South.

As for the last two who we bothered to do polling on, there is also some intersting analysis that one can undertake.

Blue-Congressman Donald Rumsfeld of Illinois (294)
President Robert F Kennedy (180)
Green-Tossup (64)
Rumsfeld apparently has a lot of strength in the suburbs and is second in line with the youth behind Hatfield, incidentally. At the same time, one can't under-estimate that he is no great poverty fighter and that despite all this talk of scandal, the big cities are still with you no matter what.
As for Lindsay, let's just say he'll have problems.

Red-President Robert F Kennedy of Massachusetts (281)
Blue-Former HUD Secretary John Lindsay (130)
Green-Tossup (127)
In Republican leaning state, Lindsay had the highest number of voters voting "undecided" or "other", and is in trouble not only in the South, but in the West, and isn't very popular in the cities. He can do well in suburbs, but isn't the best candidate to appeal to them either. Among Liberal Republicans, he is the highest favored while among Conservative Democrats he is the least favored. Most Democrats the voted for him mention only recent scandal as the reason for voting against you.

Now, I've compiled a map of all the states that went, a majority of the times, either Democrat, Republican, or undecided, and that can give you the lay of the land.

Blue-Generic Republican (323)
Red-President Robert F Kennedy of Massachusetts (211)
Green-Tossup (4)
As you can see, this is not good news.

Kennedy: Not good at all. Not good at all.
    Cadell: Now, if we can ta-
    Kennedy: Dammit! The economy has improved! We are going to get out of Palestine! Energy price will go down! Not that any of this matters to the voting public! Dammit!
    Cadell: Uh...
    Kennedy: Look, just get out of here. Go.
Cadell leaves the room, leaving one map behind. The map contains swing states going for President Kennedy. In the map, it shows a scenario where all swing states go his way.

Blue-Generic Republican minus swing states (275)
Red-President Robert F Kennedy plus swing states (263)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #599 on: July 05, 2011, 11:45:38 PM »

On May 28th, 1979, I was glad to see Gene step up to the podium and announce his bid for President of the United States. Someone had finally done what we all knew had to be done. Battle lines were being drawn and throughout the halls of the Senate, the question was being asked to Western Democrats "who are you supporting?" Frank Church didn't know who to side with. Mondale gave his lukewarm support to President Kennedy. However, there were some willing to openly support Gene, even when his run was still nothing more than a long shot. Ralph Nader, a man I had worked with several times before, gladly endorsed McCarthy against Kennedy, his former boss! I too was willing to stick my neck out to support Gene against the bastard Kennedy. That dynasty had gone on long enough. I'm sure had George McGovern had the freedom and the will to, had he stayed in the Senate, he would have lined up with us. Had he not chosen the wrong path three years ago he would've been there right besides Gene, cheering him on. Instead, we ended up with a strange set of predicaments, with a hero of the New Left having resigned himself to merely being a yes man for the establishment.

My endorsement came on May 30th, Ralph Nader's came on April 3rd. Looking around, we wondered "Where are our allies?". With Church staying out of the fray and Mondale choosing to be a member of the establishment, we weren't sure where our support would come from. As for my friend Mo Udall in the House, my guess is the only reason he didn't joine was that his brother at that moment was working for Kennedy. Again. Stewart Udall, Mo's predecessor in the House, had worked as the Interior Secretary for John F Kennedy for eight years and had now returned to his old position.

Gene received a few more key endorsements after that. One from a charismatic Senator and a rising star on the West Coast, Senator Jerry Brown whose father had in fact worked for John F Kennedy for four years. Another coming from former Senator and ardent Progressive, former Senator Fred Harris of Oklahoma. Actor Warren Beatty, a glad supporter of my 1972 campaign and a supporter of Gene's 1976 campaig, enthusiastically signed onto Gene's campaign after Gene called him. While famed Civil Rights lead John Lewis was unsure about stepping onto Gene's campaign, former Georgia State Senator Julian Bond hesitantly supported Gene, having a good friendship with him from the mid to late sixties, when it seemed the New Left was much more united. With that mere bundle of endorsements, Gene marched forward with the zeal of a preacher attempting to save the world from Hell itself. There was no guarantee of success, but there was the hope of spreading the message that people like Gene, me, and others had been hoping to spread since the late sixties.

-The Death of the Democrats, Mike Gravel, (c) 1996
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies