Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:36:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38
Author Topic: Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 75310 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: June 29, 2012, 05:23:03 AM »

Considering what the Greek press was doing before the game and what they would have done especially if they had won, that was really quite harmless.

But alright, at least we have money. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #776 on: June 29, 2012, 05:24:42 AM »

Considering what the Greek press was doing before the game and what they would have done especially if they had won, that was really quite harmless.

But alright, at least we have money. Smiley

Until Euro crashes and you fall in recession like us "faulty" nations. Smiley
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #777 on: June 29, 2012, 05:36:34 AM »

I would like to see Italy vs. Uruguay in the Confederations Cup. We already defeated them in Rome without Forlán, Suárez and Cavani.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #778 on: June 29, 2012, 06:08:45 AM »

I would like to see Italy vs. Uruguay in the Confederations Cup. We already defeated them in Rome without Forlán, Suárez and Cavani.

Oh well,it was a friendly.
Even Germany can beat us in friendlies Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #779 on: June 29, 2012, 06:12:28 AM »

Oh well,it was a friendly.
Even Germany can beat us in friendlies Wink

Same for us and England. Even England can win those against us!
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #780 on: June 29, 2012, 06:24:02 AM »

England is the biggest lie in football history.

Uruguay vs. Italy = Catenaccio vs. Catenaccio
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #781 on: June 29, 2012, 06:34:05 AM »

Italy in this Euro2012 is doing something very different from the catenaccio though.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #782 on: June 29, 2012, 06:49:07 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYps2vozIqI

Balotelli vs the Yanks.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #783 on: June 29, 2012, 07:51:08 AM »
« Edited: June 29, 2012, 08:03:10 AM by Antonio V »

Italy in this Euro2012 is doing something very different from the catenaccio though.

Yup. To be honest, I was very surprised (and quite worried) at the mediocrity of our defense compared to how strong it used to be. There were several occasions in the last couple matches when we came very close to taking a goal. Fortunately, we still have the best goalkeeper of the world.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #784 on: June 29, 2012, 09:08:53 AM »

New fun fact: Italy has now made it to the Final of a major international competition every six years since 1970 except for 1976 and 1988. They've made it every six years without fail since 1994.

Before this, the pattern was that they'd make it to the World Cup Final every twelve years. The six year pattern will continue thanks to that World Cup pattern at the 2018 World Cup. Unfortunately, it would be the Italian time to lose (lose in '70, win in '82, lose in '94, win in '06) but we can always reverse that. Wink
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #785 on: June 29, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »

Fortunately, we still have the best goalkeeper of the world.

Sorry, Antonio, Buffon is genial but he's only the second best goalkeeper of the world. On the top of the ranking is Casillas to my understanding.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #786 on: June 29, 2012, 09:23:32 AM »

This would be our first Euro win since 1968 (but it should have been since 2000 Cry). Still, let's not go too far because anything can happen at this point.

Please don't bring up that heart ache. I'll never forget sitting in some stranger's house in Florence (the restaurant my tour group was dining at didn't have a TV but a relative of the owner lived across the street and let us over to watch), watching them go from basically champions to losers in what seemed like an instant. Of course, it set up the best revenge ever for me but still, that game upsets me so much.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #787 on: June 29, 2012, 09:24:44 AM »

Fortunately, we still have the best goalkeeper of the world.

Sorry, Antonio, Buffon is genial but he's only the second best goalkeeper of the world. On the top of the ranking is Casillas to my understanding.

Casillas? Maybe 4 years ago....
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #788 on: June 29, 2012, 09:33:31 AM »

The press is already asking Del Bosque if he regrets not drawing 1-1 or 2-2 with Croatia. He says he doesn't. We'll see what he has to say on Sunday... Wink
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #789 on: June 29, 2012, 09:42:58 AM »

Del Bosque is a puppet, period. He just let Barça guys plays Barça with two or three madridistas in order to be the Spanish team and not the Catalunya team.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #790 on: June 29, 2012, 10:26:29 AM »
« Edited: June 29, 2012, 10:28:26 AM by Antonio V »

This would be our first Euro win since 1968 (but it should have been since 2000 Cry). Still, let's not go too far because anything can happen at this point.

Please don't bring up that heart ache. I'll never forget sitting in some stranger's house in Florence (the restaurant my tour group was dining at didn't have a TV but a relative of the owner lived across the street and let us over to watch), watching them go from basically champions to losers in what seemed like an instant. Of course, it set up the best revenge ever for me but still, that game upsets me so much.

I was barely old enough to remember it, but I do remember it quite well. It was an enormous upset for me and my family, especially since, for once, Italy had been playing really well from the beginning to the end of the championship. We were a truly amazing team at that point. We did morally win.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #791 on: June 29, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »

I was 12 and it's the first international tournament I remember. I was in Italy during that classic Semi final. The celebrations in Sorrento were insane. Then we traveled to Florence and Italy lost the Final. Six years later, I was in Sorrento when Italy won the World Cup. In 2010, I watched the games from Naples but never went to Sorrento for a match. Notice a pattern? Tongue

I'm crazy enough to hop on a plane to watch the Final over there but I don't think it's going to work. The flight times aren't great and the prices are through the roof. Sad
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #792 on: June 29, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »

Del Bosque is a puppet, period. He just let Barça guys plays Barça with two or three madridistas in order to be the Spanish team and not the Catalunya team.

I don't think so. Del Bosque has character, you don't have to fall for his good-natured personality. Spain plays in a similar fashion of Barça because it's a succesful model and was Luis Aragonés who started with it, not Del Bosque. And Barça is not only the Catalunya team, it's a global club: see Messi; players like Iniesta or Pedro are from other parts of Spain. On the other hand I don't mind if Spain plays in a "Catalan" style: I love heretic catalans like Guardiola or the Dutchie Johann Cruyff.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #793 on: June 29, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »

I was 12 and it's the first international tournament I remember. I was in Italy during that classic Semi final. The celebrations in Sorrento were insane. Then we traveled to Florence and Italy lost the Final. Six years later, I was in Sorrento when Italy won the World Cup. In 2010, I watched the games from Naples but never went to Sorrento for a match. Notice a pattern? Tongue

I'm crazy enough to hop on a plane to watch the Final over there but I don't think it's going to work. The flight times aren't great and the prices are through the roof. Sad

You must. Do this for your country ! Grin

As for me, I was only 7, so you can imagine my remembrances of the match aren't very precise, but yeah, it was such an incredible shock that the emotion remains. But I remember all the following championships with growing precision. I didn't really care about 2002 after both France and Italy failed miserably. For some reason I was rooting for Greece in the final stages of 2004, though at the time I hadn't fully realized how much their win was an exploit.

2006 is the first I recall with precision. I was in Germany for a school trip during the early stages, I was in Savoie for the eights/quarters/semis and... on a plane for the finale ! Grin I was traveling to Melito Porto Salvo (my father's home town in Calabria). I watched the beginning of the match in the airport, but was in the plane during the whole end, and I only learnt the results at the end of the flight when a passenger was able to switch his phone off. We were all euphoric.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #794 on: June 29, 2012, 11:11:11 AM »

Current FIFA ranking:

What the hell is doing England in the sixth place? Denmark? WTF?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #795 on: June 29, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »

Ah, yes. The joke FIFA rankings. Italy was...what?...13th right before the 2006 World Cup? Smiley
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #796 on: June 29, 2012, 11:17:17 AM »

Ah, yes. The joke FIFA rankings. Italy was...what?...13th right before the 2006 World Cup? Smiley

I can feel your jealousy. Look the second place, look.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #797 on: June 29, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »

Look at my team's four World Cup titles. Look.

Wink
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #798 on: June 29, 2012, 11:37:39 AM »
« Edited: June 29, 2012, 11:40:33 AM by Mynheer Peeperkorn von Thurn und Taxis-Hohenlohe »

Look at my team's four World Cup titles. Look.

Wink

We have four too. 1924 and 1928 are recognized as fifa world championships.

The stars, look at the stars:

And without help from Il Duce.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #799 on: June 29, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »

Oh, spare me...
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies