Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 03:18:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13
Author Topic: Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd)  (Read 30712 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 09, 2009, 12:47:10 AM »

Paying taxes is patriotic?  That is the kind of talk that scares the crap out of a reasonably thinking person

Supporting your government is and government can't survive without revenue from taxes. Unreasonable taxes are terrible, but I don't think any of the taxes raised here are unreasonable, especially for the service being provided.

Being patriotic or not is a choice, ignoring the fact that patriotism is an overused platitude. Unless you are saying that paying taxes should be a choice, please don't try to link the two together, thank you.

Of course paying taxes is a choice. We all have free will. It's the consequences of not paying your taxes that tips the equation for most people towards paying, rather than not. I'm not really sure why paying one's taxes should not be viewed as a small bit of patriotism, just as rallying in support of your government would be. And visa versa.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #276 on: August 09, 2009, 01:05:48 AM »

Paying taxes is patriotic?  That is the kind of talk that scares the crap out of a reasonably thinking person

Supporting your government is and government can't survive without revenue from taxes. Unreasonable taxes are terrible, but I don't think any of the taxes raised here are unreasonable, especially for the service being provided.

Being patriotic or not is a choice, ignoring the fact that patriotism is an overused platitude. Unless you are saying that paying taxes should be a choice, please don't try to link the two together, thank you.

Of course paying taxes is a choice. We all have free will. It's the consequences of not paying your taxes that tips the equation for most people towards paying, rather than not. I'm not really sure why paying one's taxes should not be viewed as a small bit of patriotism, just as rallying in support of your government would be. And visa versa.

Well, as you point out, there are legal consequences for not paying taxes. I pay taxes because I don't want to go to prison. Does that make me patriotic? For that matter, is someone who got sent to Vietnam because they did not want to go to prison patriotic? Doesn't it undermine the notion of patriotism when the choice is between being patriotic & suffering the wrath of the state?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #277 on: August 09, 2009, 01:14:14 AM »

Well, as you point out, there are legal consequences for not paying taxes. I pay taxes because I don't want to go to prison. Does that make me patriotic? For that matter, is someone who got sent to Vietnam because they did not want to go to prison patriotic? Doesn't it undermine the notion of patriotism when the choice is between being patriotic & suffering the wrath of the state?

The other option is leaving the country. Many people ducked the war and duck taxes by going abroad. While I'm not sure if this makes them un-patriotic, it certainly is a small testament to those who stay and support their government, no matter in what way.

This is, of course, not to say that any tax is a good tax. Oppressive taxes should be opposed and reflect tyranny, but by no means could one argue that the taxes here act as such.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #278 on: August 09, 2009, 01:24:35 AM »

The other option is leaving the country. Many people ducked the war and duck taxes by going abroad. While I'm not sure if this makes them un-patriotic, it certainly is a small testament to those who stay and support their government, no matter in what way.

This is, of course, not to say that any tax is a good tax. Oppressive taxes should be opposed and reflect tyranny, but by no means could one argue that the taxes here act as such.

I guess we just view the notion of patriotism in different ways. There's nothing wrong with that.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #279 on: August 09, 2009, 01:40:45 AM »

I guess we just view the notion of patriotism in different ways. There's nothing wrong with that.

Not at all and I'm happy this discussion kept a sincere and polite tone. It's only fun when it isn't personal.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #280 on: August 09, 2009, 06:38:49 PM »

May I add, I got what I wanted out of this bill not only in my amendment but also with regards to the way in which the whole premise was presented. I hope it satisfies enbough people in general to allow it to pass.

And thank you to Fritz for bringing this to the table; it was one of your first bills (?) and quite a risk.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #281 on: August 09, 2009, 06:47:15 PM »

You can call for a cloture vote to speed it up so we don't have to wait 24 hours.

All righty then, I call for a cloture vote.

MJ, you there?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #282 on: August 09, 2009, 06:57:10 PM »

You can call for a cloture vote to speed it up so we don't have to wait 24 hours.

MJ, you there?

Must be his internet is still not working. We should all petition his landlord (or whomever) to get it fixed.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #283 on: August 10, 2009, 07:39:40 AM »

MJ, you there?

Must be his internet is still not working. We should all petition his landlord (or whomever) to get it fixed.

Not the landlord's fault, go blame AT&T. Tongue  But may I ask to stop the vote on cloture? If you do I'll open up the final vote right away instead of having to go through the cloture vote.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #284 on: August 10, 2009, 09:09:55 PM »

What is your motive/reason for wanting me to stop the vote on closure?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #285 on: August 10, 2009, 09:13:24 PM »

What is your motive/reason for wanting me to stop the vote on closure?

Because he will be able to open the final vote right now. With you, we will vote on cloture and then, we will do the final vote.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #286 on: August 10, 2009, 09:16:56 PM »

I made the motion for cloture cause I want a vote on this thing.  Jedi, if you are ready to do that, please proceed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #287 on: August 10, 2009, 09:25:29 PM »

I made the motion for cloture cause I want a vote on this thing.  Jedi, if you are ready to do that, please proceed.

You need to formally retract your motion for cloture for him to do that.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #288 on: August 10, 2009, 09:45:54 PM »

.....No
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #289 on: August 10, 2009, 09:47:02 PM »

This detailed message brought to you by the Regional Protection Party.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #290 on: August 10, 2009, 10:16:58 PM »

This detailed message brought to you by the Regional Protection Party.

Although your comment was slightly humorous Marokai, please offer constructive criticism to newbies of all parties. We should want them to stay active and want to offer their voice in the Senate and regional legislatures. I prefer not to shoot down someone on our first meeting. Thank you.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #291 on: August 11, 2009, 04:17:47 AM »

You are not a senator, you can't vote, sorry. But Senators are open to listen constructive arguments about problems in bills.

But ''no'' is not constructive.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #292 on: August 11, 2009, 05:49:02 AM »

It has been well over 72 hours since I moved this.  I see no evidence that things will move any quicker by my withdrawing the motion, so it stands.  MasterJedi, if you are unable to perform your duties, please step aside.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #293 on: August 11, 2009, 07:02:05 AM »

Nevermind, we'll just do it your way and longer:

I hereby open up the vote on cloture. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Aye
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #294 on: August 11, 2009, 07:08:13 AM »

Aye
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #295 on: August 11, 2009, 07:42:52 AM »

Aye.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #296 on: August 11, 2009, 08:14:25 AM »

Aye
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #297 on: August 11, 2009, 12:12:30 PM »

Aye

It has been well over 72 hours since I moved this.  I see no evidence that things will move any quicker by my withdrawing the motion, so it stands.  MasterJedi, if you are unable to perform your duties, please step aside.

MasterJedi was away because of lack of internet, so nothing happened. Had you withdrawn your call for cloture, we wouldn't be voting on cloture right now because we would be voting on the final bill.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #298 on: August 11, 2009, 03:46:40 PM »

Aye, since the senator is to stubborn too understand how to not lose our time.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #299 on: August 11, 2009, 03:47:42 PM »

Aye

Aye, since the senator is to stubborn too understand how to not lose our time.

Now now.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies