NY-09, Special Election Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:35:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-09, Special Election Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37
Author Topic: NY-09, Special Election Thread  (Read 96895 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: September 13, 2011, 11:20:25 PM »

the GOP is still hated, most Republican Governors are still hated etc. This all with a an unpopular Democratic President. In otherwords, you guys have managed to cock it up frequently even with a great situation being served up to you on a silver platter. Once a President Perry or Romney is in office, the winds will shift hard.

So...your point is that Perry or Romney wouldn't win...then say that once they do win, they'll suffer. Got it. People still take you seriously around here?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #651 on: September 13, 2011, 11:20:41 PM »

PPP stated in their poll that Democrats were not turning out in NV-2. Presidential year turn out will be different.

Why is it so hard for logic to get through to some people?

Oh, turnout will always be different (and much more predictable) come election time.

However, their poll in NV-2 was a mile off, so I wouldn't be reading too much into it.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #652 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:34 PM »

I have to laugh because when AP called the race, NY1 was told Weprin would come out to concede.  Instead, five minutes later, he walked out, said "this race is not over yet because there are still many votes left" and made a quick beeline for the door.  I wish I had that video.  It was really funny.

Is he an ahole?

I've never liked him, personally, but it was not a good showing.

I know that Lunar can back me up - he saw this too.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #653 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:54 PM »

A scandal can make a previously safe seat in play. Who knew?
Never fails, does it?  Gore, Corwin, Weprin: all lost their bids after sex scandals.  I guess voting on the issues just isn't important, anymore.

That isn't a particularly logical conclusion to draw from that tiny bit of anecdotal evidence.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #654 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:58 PM »

I really think some in this thread at two steps away from declaring that Perry will win the state of New York by double digits. And the sad thing is, they'll actually fully believe that just based off of one House race in a very unique district with heavy religious factors.

Neither of these special election results say a thing about next year, not one single thing.

No one has been foolish enough to make that claim yet. Calm down. The Presidency is still very much in play.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #655 on: September 13, 2011, 11:22:45 PM »

Turner closed a bit in Queens.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #656 on: September 13, 2011, 11:23:15 PM »

No, only someone dropping crazy statements on here for a while would accuse folks of thinking that way on here.

But I will say that a race like this does mean that the Philly suburbs are likely in play this year and that the Dems can't blindly count on Pennsylvania this year.

I've seen some pretty out there predictions from Republicans here before, I'll just leave at that.

There is a difference difference between a House races and Presidential races. NY-9 was decided on Israel, probably almost totally.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #657 on: September 13, 2011, 11:24:22 PM »

Courtesy of the Politico

"While the 2nd District is largely rural, it includes a sliver of blue Clark County that makes up about 7 percent of the district, including parts of Henderson and North Las Vegas. Democrats outnumber Republicans by about 5 points in this part of the district, an area where Democrats need high turnout from their base to prevail in next year’s presidential race, Senate race and a competitive Las Vegas-area House race.

If Marshall loses — or even underperforms — in Clark County, it could be a bad omen for Democrats like Obama, Senate candidate Shelley Berkley and numerous hopefuls eyeing runs in Las Vegas-area seats.

It could prove especially troubling because neither campaign has advertised in the more expensive Las Vegas media market that covers Clark County, so an Amodei win there either means that Republicans are disproportionately motivated to turn out or that Democrats are crossing party lines to vote for him — either is bad news for Democrats."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63288_Page2.html#ixzz1XtfqUTwC

Apparently Politico doesn't know where North Las Vegas is. If the district actually did contain North Las Vegas, and these were the results, it would be big, big trouble (like the Dems getting under 40% nationally). In other news, Marshall is losing Washoe by 10 points, and by extension the Democrats the state.
Wonkish1

« Reply #658 on: September 13, 2011, 11:24:46 PM »

Is it just me or are the ones that want sh^t crazy posts all over this thread all Dems. There may be only like 4 of them, but they are all Dems.

I appreciate the other 90% of D's and I's on here that do write sane posts.
Wonkish1

« Reply #659 on: September 13, 2011, 11:26:37 PM »

No, only someone dropping crazy statements on here for a while would accuse folks of thinking that way on here.

But I will say that a race like this does mean that the Philly suburbs are likely in play this year and that the Dems can't blindly count on Pennsylvania this year.

I've seen some pretty out there predictions from Republicans here before, I'll just leave at that.

There is a difference difference between a House races and Presidential races. NY-9 was decided on Israel, probably almost totally.

Get your sh*t straight. You could make an argument for that in Brooklyn, you absolutely cannot write off the piss poor performance in Queens on the Israel issue. That is Obama through and through right there.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #660 on: September 13, 2011, 11:26:58 PM »

Never fails, does it?  Gore, Corwin, Weprin: all lost their bids after sex scandals.  I guess voting on the issues just isn't important, anymore.

That isn't a particularly logical conclusion to draw from that tiny bit of anecdotal evidence.
Well, I'm not saying it's only because of scandal.  Still, it inevitably costs at least some votes for the party of the scandal.  If Clinton didn't have the scandal, Gore would've won.  If Lee and Weiner were forced to resign for things unrelated to sex (I don't know... say they get diagnosed for terminal cancer, or something), their parties probably would have retained the seats.  I know I sound superficial here, but that's just my opinion on it.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #661 on: September 13, 2011, 11:28:13 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2011, 11:31:27 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

the GOP is still hated, most Republican Governors are still hated etc. This all with a an unpopular Democratic President. In otherwords, you guys have managed to cock it up frequently even with a great situation being served up to you on a silver platter. Once a President Perry or Romney is in office, the winds will shift hard.

So...your point is that Perry or Romney wouldn't win...then say that once they do win, they'll suffer. Got it. People still take you seriously around here?

You're being willfully obtuse and aren't even responding to my main arguments. Welcome to the Ignore list where you belong!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #662 on: September 13, 2011, 11:28:35 PM »

Get your sh*t straight. You could make an argument for that in Brooklyn, you absolutely cannot write off the piss poor performance in Queens on the Israel issue. That is Obama through and through right there.

Yes, this gay marriage thing was way overblown due to one of our posters who really cares about that issue. Sure it may have cost Welprin a couple of points. I think the Jews in NYC in this CD are more concerned about other Obama policies (think Middle East, Muslims, etc.), along with the economy like everyone else.
Wonkish1

« Reply #663 on: September 13, 2011, 11:28:44 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2011, 11:34:17 PM by Wonkish1 »

Well, I'm not saying it's only because of scandal.  Still, it inevitably costs at least some votes for the party of the scandal.  If Clinton didn't have the scandal, Gore would've won.  If Lee and Weiner were forced to resign for things unrelated to sex (I don't know... say they get diagnosed for terminal cancer, or something), their parties probably would have retained the seats.  I know I sound superficial here, but that's just my opinion on it.

Historically replacement candidates for scandal ridden politicians have performed quite well in historically safe seats so I am left scratching my head at that one.

And don't forget that Welprin's approval rating was much, much higher than Obama's in the district. So if Welprin's approval was taken down by the scandal of his predecessor, does that mean that Obama is lower than a sh*t stain on a mattress?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #664 on: September 13, 2011, 11:30:53 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2011, 11:32:37 PM by sbane »

Is it just me or are the ones that want sh^t crazy posts all over this thread all Dems. There may be only like 4 of them, but they are all Dems.

Hopefully that wasn't directed at me. Just go take a look at the map of NV-2 in Clark County. It doesn't come close to the urban core of Las Vegas, or the Democratic stronghold of North Las Vegas. I stand by my statement, Politico doesn't know what it's talking about. Also look at the result out of Carson City. That's where you should be looking, where the people in the district actually live.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #665 on: September 13, 2011, 11:31:17 PM »

You can leave the cursing out if you are posting to me, thank you very much. There are lots of conservative, religious Democrats all over the district, they are the ones who showed up. The district trended Republican last time around and it's not exactly a bellwether for anything. I don't think you should use it to predict presidential results.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #666 on: September 13, 2011, 11:32:49 PM »

Hopefully that wasn't directed at me. Just go take a look at the map of NV-2 in Clark County. It doesn't come close to the urban core of Las Vegas, or the Democratic stronghold of North Las Vegas. I stand by my statement, Politico doesn't know what it's talking about.

I never mapped NV, so I for one can't opine on this. But it would seem that the Dem CD in Vegas would have sucked up most of the most Dem precincts, and then we have a second CD which sucked up the marginal ones, which leaves  ... ?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #667 on: September 13, 2011, 11:34:03 PM »

You can leave the cursing out if you are posting to me, thank you very much. There are lots of conservative, religious Democrats all over the district, they are the ones who showed up. The district trended Republican last time around and it's not exactly a bellwether for anything. I don't think you should use it to predict presidential results.

Oh, come on. This is horrible news for the Dems. Deal with it.
Wonkish1

« Reply #668 on: September 13, 2011, 11:34:55 PM »

Hopefully that wasn't directed at me. Just go take a look at the map of NV-2 in Clark County. It doesn't come close to the urban core of Las Vegas, or the Democratic stronghold of North Las Vegas. I stand by my statement, Politico doesn't know what it's talking about. Also look at the result out of Carson City. That's where you should be looking, where the people in the district actually live.

No it wasn't.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #669 on: September 13, 2011, 11:35:05 PM »

Courtesy of the Politico

"While the 2nd District is largely rural, it includes a sliver of blue Clark County that makes up about 7 percent of the district, including parts of Henderson and North Las Vegas. Democrats outnumber Republicans by about 5 points in this part of the district, an area where Democrats need high turnout from their base to prevail in next year’s presidential race, Senate race and a competitive Las Vegas-area House race.

If Marshall loses — or even underperforms — in Clark County, it could be a bad omen for Democrats like Obama, Senate candidate Shelley Berkley and numerous hopefuls eyeing runs in Las Vegas-area seats.

It could prove especially troubling because neither campaign has advertised in the more expensive Las Vegas media market that covers Clark County, so an Amodei win there either means that Republicans are disproportionately motivated to turn out or that Democrats are crossing party lines to vote for him — either is bad news for Democrats."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63288_Page2.html#ixzz1XtfqUTwC

Apparently Politico doesn't know where North Las Vegas is. If the district actually did contain North Las Vegas, and these were the results, it would be big, big trouble (like the Dems getting under 40% nationally). In other news, Marshall is losing Washoe by 10 points, and by extension the Democrats the state.

lol, North Las Vegas.

Politico needs to get a clue.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #670 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:29 PM »

The Clark County portion of NV-2 voted for Obama by 54.8% to 43.5% and is the part of Clark County that shifted hardest towards Obama from Kerry due the housing bubble collapsing and in reality is much weaker for the Democrats than those numbers suggest.
NY Jew

« Reply #671 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:56 PM »

Heavy Jewish turnout according to Fox.
marriage protest vote
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #672 on: September 13, 2011, 11:38:13 PM »

Well, I'm not saying it's only because of scandal.  Still, it inevitably costs at least some votes for the party of the scandal.  If Clinton didn't have the scandal, Gore would've won.  If Lee and Weiner were forced to resign for things unrelated to sex (I don't know... say they get diagnosed for terminal cancer, or something), their parties probably would have retained the seats.  I know I sound superficial here, but that's just my opinion on it.

Historically replacement candidates for scandal ridden politicians have performed quite well in historically safe seats so I am left scratching my head at that one.

And don't forget that Welprin's approval rating was much, much higher than Obama's in the district. So if Welprin's approval was taken down by the scandal of his predecessor, does that mean that Obama is lower than a sh*t stain on a mattress?

D+5 isn't particularly safe especially given this district's obvious trends.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #673 on: September 13, 2011, 11:39:29 PM »

Hopefully that wasn't directed at me. Just go take a look at the map of NV-2 in Clark County. It doesn't come close to the urban core of Las Vegas, or the Democratic stronghold of North Las Vegas. I stand by my statement, Politico doesn't know what it's talking about.

I never mapped NV, so I for one can't opine on this. But it would seem that the Dem CD in Vegas would have sucked up most of the most Dem precincts, and then we have a second CD which sucked up the marginal ones, which leaves  ... ?

Just look here. The district contains rural areas, Nellis AFB, and some rich looking suburbia to the south of town.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/findyourreps.xpd
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #674 on: September 13, 2011, 11:40:17 PM »

Oh, come on. This is horrible news for the Dems. Deal with it.

That is your opinion. I just don't think you should take a special election for a House seat and turn it into a narrative about the Presidential election, it doesn't work when either side does it. You can't expect everyone to subscribe to the same opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies