Update Season IX - "CAD, Kenya, CAD, Kenya, CAD, Kenya, CAD"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 04:01:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season IX - "CAD, Kenya, CAD, Kenya, CAD, Kenya, CAD"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 80
Author Topic: Update Season IX - "CAD, Kenya, CAD, Kenya, CAD, Kenya, CAD"  (Read 153369 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2013, 09:35:04 PM »

As far as our reaction to Dad's diagnosis.  We all were laughing when he got home.  You can either get really upset and distraught or you can take it in stride and laugh.  We chose the laughing route.  Dad joked that he is now "joining the medicine club."  Up until now, he has not had to take medicine on a daily basis.  He'll be fine.  We know where we need to cut down and we'll have further meetings as a family, but it doesn't mean we're going to stop enjoying ourselves  in the food department, especially on the weekends.  As a family we have a policy that diets are not allowed to begin on weekends.  Weekends are about having fun with what you're eating and enjoy yourself.  Healthy (or healthier) eating is for Monday-Thursday night.  When Dad has Friday off, Thursday night gets lumped in with the weekend enjoyment.  We will continue to enjoy ourselves.  Clearly there needs to be changes to what we are doing, and those changes will come, but we are not going to throw everything in the cupboard in the trash and start over just because of a diagnosis.  We'll make gradual changes.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2013, 09:54:39 PM »

Bush from the photo, it looks like you're starting to slim down. Keep up the good work.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2013, 10:00:09 PM »

Hey Bushie, you hear the one about the guy who goes into the doctor to get his leg amputated due to diabetic neuropathy. It's a real knee slapper. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2013, 10:05:08 PM »

Bush from the photo, it looks like you're starting to slim down. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2013, 10:05:58 PM »

Hey Bushie, you hear the one about the guy who goes into the doctor to get his leg amputated due to diabetic neuropathy. It's a real knee slapper. 

We know the dangers.  Diabetes is not new in our family, but it doesn't mean we're going to do a complete 180 and stop enjoying our meals.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2013, 10:06:35 PM »

We know the dangers.  Diabetes is not new in our family, but it doesn't mean we're going to do a complete 180 and stop enjoying our meals.

Your funeral, well you get the drift.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2013, 10:07:37 PM »

As a family we have a policy that diets are not allowed to begin on weekends.  Weekends are about having fun with what you're eating and enjoy yourself.  Healthy (or healthier) eating is for Monday-Thursday night.  When Dad has Friday off, Thursday night gets lumped in with the weekend enjoyment.  We will continue to enjoy ourselves.

It goes without saying that nothing will ever change if you can't enjoy eating food that won't slowly kill you.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2013, 10:33:58 PM »

As far as our reaction to Dad's diagnosis.  We all were laughing when he got home.  You can either get really upset and distraught or you can take it in stride and laugh.  We chose the laughing route.  Dad joked that he is now "joining the medicine club."  Up until now, he has not had to take medicine on a daily basis.  He'll be fine.  We know where we need to cut down and we'll have further meetings as a family, but it doesn't mean we're going to stop enjoying ourselves  in the food department, especially on the weekends.  As a family we have a policy that diets are not allowed to begin on weekends.  Weekends are about having fun with what you're eating and enjoy yourself.  Healthy (or healthier) eating is for Monday-Thursday night.  When Dad has Friday off, Thursday night gets lumped in with the weekend enjoyment.  We will continue to enjoy ourselves.  Clearly there needs to be changes to what we are doing, and those changes will come, but we are not going to throw everything in the cupboard in the trash and start over just because of a diagnosis.  We'll make gradual changes.

I actually like this idea.  Eat very healthy from Monday to Thursday and you can relax a bit the other 3 days.  I would move that to 2 days though.  This prevents one from feeling deprived while still achieving some goals. 

A lot of people here seem to get angry at Bushie for his diet, but we must recognize the changes, even if they're small, that he does make.

Thanks, cheese!

To be honest, Sunday supper is usually very light and lunch (or Sunday dinner) is only big occasionally.  Usually, Sunday lunch and dinner are just "foraging" meals, finding your own, but once in a while especially on a nice, dry, summer Sunday we'll grill out.  The big weekend meals together are Friday and Saturday evenings and even then most weekends is just one of the two.  The other evening is usually together, but a little bit lighter.  I often have places to go on Friday nights (like Bible Study every other week), so that forces our dinner to be early and generally lighter.  I generally don't have anything to do or anywhere to go on a Saturday evening, so that tends to be the big meal.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2013, 10:40:16 PM »

As far as the meals Monday through Thursday, we're going to have meatloaf one night, slow cooked roast and potatoes one night, spaghetti, fish filets, and soft tacos.  Wednesday nights are generally another foraging night since Mom and I both have to leave for church at 1800.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2013, 11:13:07 PM »

You cost me so much money with your reckless lifestyle. I hate losing money. Get it together. Diabetes isn't a laughing joke.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2013, 11:19:41 PM »

I'm home from a great night of Bible Study with my cousins.  Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to breakfast as a family for breakfast and then grilled pizza for supper.  Grilled pizza uses homemade pizza mix like you would put in the oven, except the crust is grilled and the toppings are applied before being melted onto the crust on the grill.  It creates a very crispy and delicious pizza.  We had some startling news and wholesale changes will probably come, but we're going to continue to enjoy ourselves even in the food department.[\b]

Mr Frog... you might want to check the temperature of the water you're sitting in...

The fact that you think that defines enjoyment in food, suggests you're a lost cause.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2013, 11:21:42 PM »

There is absolutely no use in the world to get upset by diabetes.   Laughing is good medicine.  Stress kills.  The last paragraph was nothing reckless.   That's our general week. Nothing wrong with having fun while you eat.  Oh,  I would stop betting if you hate losing money.  Just saying.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2013, 11:27:11 PM »

What?!

Now I respect the not-stressing the small stuff mantra. Just because a condition can be managed/treated doesn't mean it's not serious and requires serious attention.

As someone with two parents with type 2 - you are more of a prime target than anyone and your family's thoughtless and cavalier attitude to health and what you put in your mouths is a prime cause.

Wake up mate, or you're next.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2013, 11:29:31 PM »

What?!

Now I respect the not-stressing the small stuff mantra. Just because a condition can be managed/treated doesn't mean it's not serious and requires serious attention.

As someone with two parents with type 2 - you are more of a prime target than anyone and your family's thoughtless and cavalier attitude to health and what you put in your mouths is a prime cause.

Wake up mate, or you're next.

There will be changes, no doubt.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with meatloaf, slow cooked roast, fish filets, spaghetti, or soft tacos.  Nothing.

We know the seriousness of the situation, but again we're not going to throw everything in the cupboard away just because of the diagnosis.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2013, 11:30:35 PM »

Oh, and I know I'm next.  I know my time is coming, but I'm not going to stress over it.  I'll do what I need to and continue to live life.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2013, 11:34:53 PM »

There is if it's not in moderation. It's not just about sugar, it's about blood-sugar and that deals with everything you eat.

Wow... you're resigned to diabetes? When it's completely avoidable at this stage?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2013, 11:37:41 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2013, 11:41:42 PM by memphis »

Spaghetti is not a good choice for a diabetic. Pasta will spike his blood sugar very quickly. Ditto for pizza, grilled or otherwise. It should go without saying that soda is not allowed either. I have a friend whose mom has gone blind due to diabetes. It's the saddest thing ever!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2013, 11:50:43 PM »

Spaghetti is not a good choice for a diabetic. Pasta will spike his blood sugar very quickly. I have a friend whose mom has gone blind due to diabetes. It's the saddest thing ever!

We may switch the spaghetti for something else.  I didn't realize pasta was bad for a diabetic.  I will let them know in the morning before we get the stuff to fix spaghetti.

Polnut,  If we have everything in moderation and don't "clean the table" as I've been known to do, we'll be fine.  I'm not resigned to diabetes.  I know its avoidable, but I'm not stupid, either.  Dad is taller and weighs at least 50 lbs less than I do and he still got diabetes.  It's completely avoidable, but I also realize that even if I lose weight there's a better chance than not of me eventually getting diabetes.  My numbers are already pretty close as it is.  I have thought of myself as pre-diabetic for a long time, even though I am not officially.  We'll be alright.  His numbers are kind of scary, but its nothing we can't overcome with the right changes.  He's going to have to cut out the regular cokes and switch to mostly water.  He's not ready to switch to Diet Coke, yet, like I did, but he may have to eventually.  He was wanting to find some Twinkies that have come back on Walmart shelves, but that's out the window.  We completely understand we're going to have to make changes.  Since Mom has had Type 2 for several years, she can guide Dad along what he can have.  Grandma can help to as her husband had diabetes.  She isn't diabetic herself, but Grandpa was.  Plus, he now has a dietitian and I have a dietitian I see every month.  Mom goes to the doctor every two or three weeks to a month.  I go to the doctor regularly for blood work every six months, will be going again on September 30 to have labs taken.  The doctor will test for diabetes again at that time and I will find out the results on my regular appointment on October 4.  Dad will start going to the doctor every month or so.  He's got another appointment in August.  We'll have constant and available help.  The thing we have to realize we are not in this fight alone.  We have each other, and we have medical and professional support, and family support, as well as constant prayers from friends and family.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2013, 11:54:18 PM »

Look at low-GI foods - you might not like the sound of them but it's what you need to eat to manage blood-sugar levels.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2013, 11:59:33 PM »

That sounds like a good idea.  I just looked Low GI up on WebMD and apparently they are better by taking longer to absorb and are generally higher in fiber, richer in nutrients, and less processed.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2013, 12:00:12 AM »

I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a newbie when it comes to nutrition, because I really am.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2013, 12:03:16 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2013, 12:07:44 AM by Kenya 2015 »

I think I'm going to go ahead and wrap it up.  It is Saturday Morning at Midnight in Oklahoma and I need to get some sleep so I can get up at a decent time for breakfast.

Well, forget about going to bed right now.  I forgot my bed time medicine, so since I just took that at 0005, it will be 0050 before I can go to bed.  I don't like to go to bed right after I've taken my medicine.  I like to wait 45 minutes.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2013, 07:38:24 AM »

Bushie's attitude reminds me of the alcoholic who thinks he can just cut back and everything will be ok.

Bushie and his family needs to change their entire way of life.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2013, 07:47:54 AM »

Two points: no they don't, and they can't.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2013, 08:18:20 AM »

Two points: no they don't, and they can't.

You're 50% right ... and that's a record for you
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies