Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:00:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 307381 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: October 31, 2009, 07:48:04 PM »

Yankee, just relax. This isn't a big deal to get this upset over. Really.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1326 on: October 31, 2009, 07:49:17 PM »

What would an appropriate response have been?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1327 on: October 31, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »

For the record, I don't support a CoG not being able to make amendments. I prefer bicameralism, over a watered down CoG.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1328 on: October 31, 2009, 07:55:10 PM »

But this isn't the U.S. Of course there's nothing wrong with influence from American institutions, but equally it's not binding either. Most upper houses do not have the power to introduce legislation - indeed, this is often viewed as a basic constitutional requirement. The U.S Senate is a strange institution that has had very little influence on parliamentary institutions in other countries.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You appear to use words in a different way to the rest of us. I have never seen the word "lie" abused so violently.

I do wonder who "You guys" are. Fwiw I've only recently become aware of the idea of a "CoG" and know nothing of how it would work in theory and don't know whether I'd support it or not as I spent the first third or so of the relevant time working on my dissertation, and the second two thirds or so in hospital. You aren't going to win many people over to your point of view if you get so angry and so paranoid that you think that everyone is part of a grand conspiracy against you and what you're pleased to think of as your thinking.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1329 on: October 31, 2009, 07:55:36 PM »

What would an appropriate response have been?

Nothing, just let me cool off. You at least had the courtesy to due that.

Yankee, just relax. This isn't a big deal to get this upset over. Really.

I am more pissed at you then I am at Franzl right now and if that was the intent all along, I must say you played me like a harp.

Just for the record I am not suicidal. I am however suffering from those three illnesses mentioned though.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1330 on: October 31, 2009, 08:00:24 PM »

But this isn't the U.S. Of course there's nothing wrong with influence from American institutions, but equally it's not binding either. Most upper houses do not have the power to introduce legislation - indeed, this is often viewed as a basic constitutional requirement. The U.S Senate is a strange institution that has had very little influence on parliamentary institutions in other countries.

You appear to use words in a different way to the rest of us. I have never seen the word "lie" abused so violently.

I do wonder who "You guys" are. Fwiw I've only recently become aware of the idea of a "CoG" and know nothing of how it would work in theory and don't know whether I'd support it or not as I spent the first third or so of the relevant time working on my dissertation, and the second two thirds or so in hospital. You aren't going to win many people over to your point of view if you get so angry and so paranoid that you think that everyone is part of a grand conspiracy against you and what you're pleased to think of as your thinking.

My whole life is paranoia. Paranoia about where I will be living in a few months, how I will be eating. I am sorry if that keeps coming out here but its just a part of me now.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1331 on: October 31, 2009, 08:01:49 PM »

Just for the record I am not suicidal. I am however suffering from those three illnesses mentioned though.

Well, it takes courage to say than we have mental illnesses and I will stand against those who insult and bully people who are suffering of mental illnesses.

My best friend had one and this is very difficult. That is enough complicated to manage, you don't need to be picked on for that, too.

That is a little bit insensible, Marokai.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1332 on: October 31, 2009, 08:04:29 PM »

Max, I was just kidding.

Yankee may have some problems that we do or do not know about, but he doesn't need to tell us about how he's deeply paranoid and unstable. That's just not something you randomly say in public, is all.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1333 on: October 31, 2009, 08:06:27 PM »

Would never fly, cause Marokai, JAs and co already have there "compromise" and everyone who opposes it is an ideologue who refuses to compromise.

Not to let the facts get in your way, again, but I'll happily restate that I disapprove of the CoG proposal.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1334 on: October 31, 2009, 08:18:27 PM »

Max, I was just kidding.

Yankee may have some problems that we do or do not know about, but he doesn't need to tell us about how he's deeply paranoid and unstable. That's just not something you randomly say in public, is all.

The reason I said it publically is because I am not a jerk and I would not due and act like this in my normall state, and I would prefer to let you know about this then have you think that I would indeed due and say some of these things.

Well, it takes courage to say than we have mental illnesses and I will stand against those who insult and bully people who are suffering of mental illnesses.

My best friend had one and this is very difficult. That is enough complicated to manage, you don't need to be picked on for that, too.

That is a little bit insensible, Marokai.

What makes it worse, Maxy is that Marokai has known about this since about July or August, just to put it in perspective.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1335 on: October 31, 2009, 08:21:38 PM »

Would never fly, cause Marokai, JAs and co already have there "compromise" and everyone who opposes it is an ideologue who refuses to compromise.

Not to let the facts get in your way, again, but I'll happily restate that I disapprove of the CoG proposal.

Your, right, I am sorry for including you there. It was highly unfair and I apoligize. To be honest I would much rather we had just a consideration for having 10 At-large Senate seats and no CoG. At least it would get 70-30 consideration leaning towards against, instead of 100% opposition like the so called "compromise".
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1336 on: October 31, 2009, 09:02:23 PM »

Might as well re-post this here:

Here's a reasonable (I think) compromise between Marokai and his folk, and the more pro-regionalist folks such as PiT and NCYankee.

An upper house that would function much as the US Senate functions today in terms of power and procedure. It would be composed of five members, one from each region, who would have a term of a to be determined length. Each region would choose how they are selected/retained. Will they be elected? Appointed by the Governor or legislature? Will they have to be retained by a vote or simply reappointed?

Of course, you could also just have them be elected, whatever the ultimate idea is.

As a citizen and Governor of a region, I would urge the Senators to consider my idea, as I feel it is a good compromise.

Of course, the Senate could be reduced to eight members to compensate for the increased number of positions, but I doubt that would appeal to many people
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1337 on: November 01, 2009, 01:27:16 AM »

As the person who first came up with the idea, I hope I can get a word in here lengthwise.

I believe I brought up an idea similar to that of Vepres, in that the regions can choose how their representatives are chosen and the length of their terms. It doesn't really matter to me whether they can introduce legislation; it isn't as though the queue is filled to bursting.

When a bill is sent by the Senate to the Council, the Council would have three options. The first would be to approve it, in which case it would be sent to the President. The second would be to reject it, in which case it would be sent to the Senate, which would need a two-thirds majority to send it to the President. The third would be to approve it with modifications, in which case the Senate would take a vote on whether to send it to the President in its original form, which would require a two-thirds majority. If this failed, the Senate could send the edited bill to the President with a simple majority. If the Council were to take none of the described actions within seven days, this would be considered approval.

Just some thoughts.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1338 on: November 01, 2009, 01:30:07 AM »

As the person who first came up with the idea, I hope I can get a word in here lengthwise.

I believe I brought up an idea similar to that of Vepres, in that the regions can choose how their representatives are chosen and the length of their terms. It doesn't really matter to me whether they can introduce legislation; it isn't as though the queue is filled to bursting.

When a bill is sent by the Senate to the Council, the Council would have three options. The first would be to approve it, in which case it would be sent to the President. The second would be to reject it, in which case it would be sent to the Senate, which would need a two-thirds majority to send it to the President. The third would be to approve it with modifications, in which case the Senate would take a vote on whether to send it to the President in its original form, which would require a two-thirds majority. If this failed, the Senate could send the edited bill to the President with a simple majority. If the Council were to take none of the described actions within seven days, this would be considered approval.

Just some thoughts.

The only question is what if the President vetoes it? Or line-item vetoes it? Can get confusing at that point and those scenarios would need to be hashed out in the Constitution.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1339 on: November 01, 2009, 01:34:29 AM »

Just some thoughts.

The only question is what if the President vetoes it? Or line-item vetoes it? Can get confusing at that point and those scenarios would need to be hashed out in the Constitution.

A veto would be handled in the same way it's handled today.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1340 on: November 01, 2009, 01:38:13 AM »

Just some thoughts.

And a line-item veto? Say the CoG amends something and the Senate sends it to the President because it can't overturn it by two-thirds but still wants some sort of bill. Then the President amends it back and sends it back to the Senate for their approval. Kinda cutting the CoG out there.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1341 on: November 01, 2009, 01:42:59 AM »

Just some thoughts.

And a line-item veto? Say the CoG amends something and the Senate sends it to the President because it can't overturn it by two-thirds but still wants some sort of bill. Then the President amends it back and sends it back to the Senate for their approval. Kinda cutting the CoG out there.

Maybe after the Senate votes to approve the edited version, it should be sent back to the CoG, with the option of then sending it back to the President or vetoing it.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1342 on: November 01, 2009, 08:41:15 PM »

Or, 2/3 vote in the Senate and 3/5 vote in the council of a "to be determined office".
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1343 on: November 01, 2009, 08:44:36 PM »

Or, 2/3 vote in the Senate and 3/5 vote in the council of a "to be determined office" to overturn the veto, or a simple majority in both to pass the President's version.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1344 on: November 10, 2009, 07:25:56 PM »

Capital Punishment Abolition Amendment:

The death penalty may not be given for any crime throughout Atlasia, whether federal or regional.

Yes yes, I know it failed a while ago....but I'm not giving up Smiley

The southerners are going to hide in you closet and kill you in your sleep.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1345 on: November 10, 2009, 07:36:14 PM »

Its a freakin all out assualt on Regional Rights. If the DS wants to preserve the Death penalty that is none of anyone elses businesses. We refused to be governed by the Mideast laws, Franzl. How would you like it if we foisted ours on you? You want war, then war you shall get.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #1346 on: November 10, 2009, 07:37:23 PM »

Its a freakin all out assualt on Regional Rights. If the DS wants to preserve the Death penalty that is none of anyone elses businesses. We refused to be governed by the Mideast laws, Franzl. How would you like it if we foisted ours on you? You want war, then war you shall get.

This.

Just another attempt to usurp individual and regional sovereignty.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1347 on: November 10, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »

If he considers the death penalty wrong, wouldn't it be wrong everywhere?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1348 on: November 11, 2009, 02:10:05 AM »

When it comes to the protection of human life, I don't give a damn about regional rights.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1349 on: November 11, 2009, 02:12:35 AM »

When it comes to the protection of human life, I don't give a damn about regional rights.

You voted to table the Right to Life bill. Is that not a human life?

Depends who you ask.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies