SENATE BILL: The 'DREAM' Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:34:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The 'DREAM' Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The 'DREAM' Act (Law'd)  (Read 16110 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2012, 11:35:07 PM »

Aye

Not sure if it's too late. If it is, my apologies.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2012, 05:09:17 PM »

Perhaps, I should formally present this at midnight. Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2012, 06:40:43 PM »

Wait did I vote on this? Aye! (again?)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2012, 06:46:06 PM »

Yes, you already voted here.

I am going to go ahead and end this, there is no way to acheive precise timing, I would need to effectuate what I mentioned earlier.

Final Vote on Passage of The Dream Act:

Aye (9): Averroës Nix, Ben, Franzl, HagridOfTheDeep, JulioMadrid, Marokai Blue, NC Yankee, Simfan34 and Snowstalker.
Nay (1): Oakvale
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):

The bill has passed the Senate and is presented to the President for his signature or veto.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2012, 06:50:01 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2012, 07:22:19 PM by President Napoleon »

A BILL

To provide a path to citizenship for offsprings of undocumented migrants

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled.

SECTION 1. TITLE

This legislation may be cited as the ‘Development, Relief, and Education Act for Alien Minors’ or the ‘DREAM Act.’

SECTION 2. PERMANENT RESIDENCY FOR ALIEN MINORS

Undocumented migrants below the age of eighteen that arrived to the Republic of Atlasia before the year 2012 will be afforded permanent residency status, provided that the following standards are met:

The undocumented migrant lacks a criminal record or any recorded history of juvenile acts
    The undocumented migrant undergoes security and background checks
The undocumented migrant graduates from an Atlasian high school without any history of expulsions
    The undocumented migrant demonstrates the ability to read, write, and speak English and demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of the history, principles, and form of government of the Republic of Atlasia
    The undocumented migrant serves a period of at least two years in the Atlasian military and, if discharged, receives an honorary discharge, or successfully completes four years at an accredited institution of higher learning
    The undocumented migrant lives in the Republic of Atlasia at least five years prior to the enactment of this legislation

For the purposes of this act, successful completion of a four year program at an institute of higher learning, shall be defined as have completed a course of study with grades at a satisfactory level to receive certification or degree in said course of study and having done so in a manner within the ethical and moral standards expected of students at the accredited institution.

SECTION 3. RESTRICTIONS

1.) Citizenship status possibilities will be revoked from any undocumented migrant who has done the following:

Has committed one felony or three misdemeanors
    Has engaged in voter fraud or unlawful voting
    Has abused a student visa
    Has engaged in persecution, or;

2.) Undocumented migrants that are guilty of the previously mentioned activities may be subject to deportation or detainment.  Penalties shall be determined in a court of law.

SECTION 4. IMPLEMENTATION

$25 billion will be allocated to the Department of Internal Affairs for implementation of this law.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2012, 06:50:11 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »

I'd like the new text to be considered.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2012, 07:16:13 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2012, 07:23:34 PM by Governor Scott »

I certainly hope the Senate has an alternative solution to ensuring that the children of illegal immigrants do not struggle through the system with a low GPA.  I'll interpret the removal of that standard as a signal that there will be something to replace that, even though no one has proposed such a substitute.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2012, 07:22:56 PM »

I certainly hope the Senate has an alternative solution to ensuring that the children of illegal immigrants do not fall through the cracks with a low GPA.  I'll interpret the removal of that standard as a signal that there will be something to replace that.

What do you mean?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2012, 07:31:30 PM »

The senate reached a compromise that managed to garner "aye" votes from nine out of ten senators. Apparently this compromise means very little.

If the bill gets vetoed, as I suspect it will, I urge the sponsor to move for a veto override. Either way, I cannot support the president's alternate bill.

I'm also unsure about what you mean, Scott.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »

So I take it then that you have vetoed this and have offered a redraft, Mr. President?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2012, 07:32:57 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2012, 07:34:50 PM by President Napoleon »

That is correct.

Hopefully the Senate can pass my proposed compromise bill.

The senate reached a compromise that managed to garner "aye" votes from nine out of ten senators. Apparently this compromise means very little.

I know thinking has always been your strong suit, so consider me surprised to see this sort of post from you, but this compromise I've proposed is more likely to get that Nay voter on board. I'm reaching out to build consensus here and you're just continuing to throw around attacks to amuse yourself.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2012, 07:34:27 PM »

I already explained it.  The GPA requirement was included to help prevent beneficiaries of the program from not being successful.  If we're taking away that standard, the least we should do is put a new one in that fulfills the same purpose.  I urge the Senate to defeat this bill if the President's proposal ends up being the final text.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »

I request a veto override.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »

I already explained it.  The GPA requirement was included to help prevent beneficiaries of the program from not being successful.  If we're taking away that standard, the least we should do is put a new one in that fulfills the same purpose.  I urge the Senate to defeat this bill if the President's proposal ends up being the final text.

The GPA requirement will not prevent beneficiaries from being unsuccessful, it simply prevents beneficiaries. You're automatically counting what is likely a majority of people who would otherwise be eligible through that single requirement. A 2.7 GPA could be difficult to reach for someone who might not have as good a grasp of the English language as a native Atlasian. The military or college degree requirements are what will determine the success of these citizenship-hopefuls.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2012, 07:41:40 PM »

As an expert on our great Constitution, I must remind you that you do not have that ability.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2012, 07:45:55 PM »

The GPA requirement will not prevent beneficiaries from being unsuccessful, it simply prevents beneficiaries. You're automatically counting what is likely a majority of people who would otherwise be eligible through that single requirement. A 2.7 GPA could be difficult to reach for someone who might not have as good a grasp of the English language as a native Atlasian. The military or college degree requirements are what will determine the success of these citizenship-hopefuls.

It simply gives beneficiaries the incentive to succeed in school, in spite of their disadvantages, so that they won't end up trapped in poverty.  If a 2.7 GPA won't do the trick, then there should be something else put in the bill to ensure academic success and prevent that from happening.  None of the opponents of the GPA requirement have yet offered an alternative standard or provision to the bill that fulfill the same purpose.  So I'll ask again: what do we have as something that can be added to the bill, instead?  If someone just flat out says, "We have none," then well, at least it's honest.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2012, 07:47:04 PM »

As an expert on our great Constitution, I must remind you that you do not have that ability.

I'm the bill's sponsor.  I can request an override.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2012, 07:47:30 PM »

That is correct.

I know thinking has always been your strong suit, so consider me surprised to see this sort of post from you, but this compromise I've proposed is more likely to get that Nay voter on board. I'm reaching out to build consensus here and you're just continuing to throw around attacks to amuse yourself.

Yes, Mr. Wonderful, and your so-called "compromise" is certainly going to lose at least one vote anyway. So instead of appreciating the decision the senate came to, you'd rather have us jump through bureaucratic hoops for a result that will at best include the same number of ayes that it recieved in the first place. And, quite frankly, I don't think that best case scenario is all that likely. So congrats on your selfless compromise.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2012, 07:48:22 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2012, 07:51:29 PM by Senator Simfan34 »

Problem is he hasn't actually vetoed it yet. So we're at an impasse until he decides to do something. He's keeping us hostage, in a way, and I'm not too enthused about that.

I drafted a compromise, Mr. President, and we passed that compromise. I'd recommend you accept it, but can you at least help us move forward with the business of governing?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #196 on: November 18, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »

That is correct.

Yes, Mr. Wonderful, and your so-called "compromise" is certainly going to lose at least one vote anyway. So instead of appreciating the decision the senate came to, you'd rather have us jump through bureaucratic hoops for a result that will at best include the same number of ayes that it recieved in the first place. And, quite frankly, I don't think that best case scenario is all that likely. So congrats on your selfless compromise.

Precisely.  The "compromise" was already made when the GPA standard was lowered.  But of course, that's just not enough for some people.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #197 on: November 18, 2012, 07:52:09 PM »

There's absolutely no need for an "alternative". Removing a bad policy is addition by subtraction.

The GPA requirement is unnecessary. Students have the incentive to do good in school because doing good in school is necessary to get in to college, and a college degree or military service is necessary. Someone with a 2.3 GPA and fifteen years of military service wouldn't even be a citizen because he struggled with math when he was fifteen. That's completely ridiculous.

If they need citizenship to motivate them to be successful, instead of the rewards success brings, then there's obviously other problems with those affected. The GPA requirement still wouldn't be necessary, and why not make citizenship contingent on high school GPA for native-born Atlasians, to motivate them so that they don't fall in to poverty?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: November 18, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »

By your logic, Mr. President, why not just let the entire world just stroll into the country?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2012, 07:54:04 PM »

That is correct.

Yeah, obviously I need to be considered with whether 60% or 80% or 100% of the Senate wants to vote for the bill instead of what the effects are. I'm here to serve you, those petty little people be damned!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies