The South will rise again.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:21:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The South will rise again.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21
Author Topic: The South will rise again.  (Read 29366 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: April 23, 2017, 10:38:55 PM »

I am announcing that the ACP is going to release our third party plank, in opposition to the legalization of Marijuana and Cocaine, tomorrow.

too late on that brah
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2017, 10:44:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Presumably you support leaving those who overdose to die on the street?
Actually I don't, no, and there would have to be a lot of regulations along with decriminalization.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #252 on: April 23, 2017, 11:06:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, that's my point. You believe that society has an obligation to protect people when they overdose, which is curtailing the freedom of other people.

There are victims to substance abuse. The issue isn't freedom, but rather, how we balance rights and responsibilities.

What benefit does society derive from increasing the number of crack addicts?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #253 on: April 28, 2017, 01:34:07 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2017, 01:46:15 AM by IDS Delegate Ben Kenobi »

Quiet, please, quiet. Thank you very much.

I was going to do a mailbag today and read out some of your letters. Some of you had lots to say about my current rather controversial term in the house of delegates. Some of you have been very appreciative. I must say I cherish all the rocks, to symbolize my sturdiness in the face of adversity. It's much nicer than when they are thrown...

However, that is not what I'm here for today. It's come to my attention that our current sitting speaker, a very kind lady named fhtagn has chosen to cross the floor. Many of you are aware that I'm currently conducting a vote to remove her as speaker.

Now, I had my reasons..

*crumples paper*

It's amazing what can change in a day. I want to speak about my rationales for voting for Miss Fhtagn for the speakership election. I believed then as now, that she was the best candidate among the delegates to serve in that capacity. That includes myself.

I've spent the last 6 weeks making life a living hell for this lady. And why? To protect what the South has always believed. Nothing more nor less. What does the South teach about the obligations of a gentleman? We, and she deserves better than what she's gotten.

So I wish to welcome her, wholeheartedly to the federalists. We've had a long and productive working relationship together. I am proud to stand alongside Miss Fhtagn in working to keep the South the best region of Atlasia.

Please give your accolades to this very brave young lady. Her courage in the pursuit of truth and compassion shall never be forgotten.

God bless you all!

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #254 on: May 15, 2017, 11:48:59 AM »

Regarding's Peebs' 'election math'

The math is wrong.

I expect to be taking my rightfully won delegate seat once the math is properly corrected.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #255 on: May 15, 2017, 11:58:12 AM »

For what it's worth, here's my calculation:

Candidate1st2nd3rd4th5th
Southern Gothic (Lab)10.0
TimTurner (Lab)8.08.0
Ben Kenobi (ACP)7.07.47.48.4
JustinTimeCuber (Lab)6.07.07.07.07.0
fhtagn (Fed)6.06.66.66.66.7
CelticEmpire (Fed)4.04.04.06.06.3
diptheriadan (Fed)3.03.03.0
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #256 on: May 15, 2017, 12:00:22 PM »

Thank you Clyde.

Much appreciated.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #257 on: May 15, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »

the surplus is 7 though (44/6=7.33333 rounded to 7) - don't know if it changes anything though.
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #258 on: May 15, 2017, 12:02:25 PM »

The results are quite "messy" right now. I don't know what result should I trust or believe!
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #259 on: May 15, 2017, 12:03:03 PM »

the surplus is 7 though (44/6=7.33333 rounded to 7) - don't know if it changes anything though.
Is it not ((44/(5+1))+1), which rounds to eight? I'm not sure if there's a specific quota calculation for these elections though.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #260 on: May 15, 2017, 12:05:37 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2017, 12:07:49 PM by IceAgeComing »

the Droop quota (the correct one to use for STV) is number of votes/(number of seats+1) - in this case that's 44/(5+1)=44/6=7.33333 rounds to 7

I'm working it out based on a surplus of 7 although it involves reminding myself about how transfer values work and its annoying

e: scratch that; forgot about adding the 1, which normally wouldn't matter but with the small number of voters here its kind of crucial.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #261 on: May 15, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2017, 12:20:27 PM by Fmr. Pres. Griffin »

As best I can tell, the 5 winning candidates are the ones Clyde outlined. The problem is that we don't actually have an explicitly-established way of counting anymore. In the old game, quota was calculated slightly differently (i.e. the way Clyde referenced above; with an extra "+1" added to the final output), but those rules are no longer in place.

Also, as far as I know, there are no invalid ballots because there are no restrictions on activity requirements unless I've missed a constitutional amendment or something somewhere, so I'm pretty sure there are 48 valid voters.

I just did Paul Lockett on top of that and the numerical outcome is different than Clyde's math (outcome as far as candidates elected is same, though); much messier, but also has Celtic being eliminated before Diptheriadan and has Ben beating out Dip by 0.04 votes. Shows quota at 8.

Another thing to note is that as far as Atlasian precedent goes, I'm pretty sure multiple candidates who hit quota in a given round are elected then and there, rather than doing it one candidate per separate round. Maybe I'm misremembering, though.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #262 on: May 15, 2017, 12:23:52 PM »

Ignore this; I can't do maths
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #263 on: May 15, 2017, 12:26:03 PM »

The results have now been fixed.

I am now officially declaring victory.

Thank you for all of your votes in the last election! Looking forward to taking up my seat in the Delegates once again.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #264 on: May 15, 2017, 12:30:01 PM »

Another thing to note is that as far as Atlasian precedent goes, I'm pretty sure multiple candidates who hit quota in a given round are elected then and there, rather than doing it one candidate per separate round. Maybe I'm misremembering, though.

That's pretty standard for STV elections: although normally each candidates surplus is transferred separately (and any elected candidates with untransferred surpluses can't gain any votes); since the theory is that if the gap between the bottom two candidates is bigger than the total of untransferred surpluses you then should eliminate the bottom candidate and transfer their votes to their next preferences.  Doesn't affect this election since that doesn't happen, but that's one of the problems I have with my calculator since it ends up taking votes that rank the most popular candidates with their first few preferences and effectively devalues their vote; when really those votes should just go to their next preference.

When I did the maths I had a different result; although that's probably because I calculated Ben's transfer value wrongly, I'll need to fix that quickly.
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2017, 12:31:51 PM »

Jokingly suggesting, display the top 5 in each vote counting method that you've used. Rank according to the frequency the candidates appear. The top 5 wins! Problem solved!

Anyway, I hope the victory is already official, Ben. Wishing you luck in your term.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #266 on: May 15, 2017, 12:32:45 PM »

Thanks RGN!

Much appreciated. This was a very, very tough election.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #267 on: May 15, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »

As best I can tell, the 5 winning candidates are the ones Clyde outlined. The problem is that we don't actually have an explicitly-established way of counting anymore. In the old game, quota was calculated slightly differently (i.e. the way Clyde referenced above; with an extra "+1" added to the final output), but those rules are no longer in place.

Also, as far as I know, there are no invalid ballots because there are no restrictions on activity requirements unless I've missed a constitutional amendment or something somewhere, so I'm pretty sure there are 48 valid voters.

I just did Paul Lockett on top of that and the numerical outcome is different than Clyde's math (outcome as far as candidates elected is same, though); much messier, but also has Celtic being eliminated before Diptheriadan and has Ben beating out Dip by 0.04 votes. Shows quota at 8.

Looking at Peebs' updated results - the key difference is that I haven't reduced the weighting for surplus votes. I've done ((candidate transfers/total transfers)*(surplus)) as my calculation for each round - which looking at it now doesn't give a correct result, because of third preferences (and beyond) not having the same transfer value as second preferences, etc.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #268 on: May 15, 2017, 12:36:58 PM »

That's pretty standard for STV elections: although normally each candidates surplus is transferred separately (and any elected candidates with untransferred surpluses can't gain any votes); since the theory is that if the gap between the bottom two candidates is bigger than the total of untransferred surpluses you then should eliminate the bottom candidate and transfer their votes to their next preferences.  Doesn't affect this election since that doesn't happen, but that's one of the problems I have with my calculator since it ends up taking votes that rank the most popular candidates with their first few preferences and effectively devalues their vote; when really those votes should just go to their next preference.

When I did the maths I had a different result; although that's probably because I calculated Ben's transfer value wrongly, I'll need to fix that quickly.

Yes, that sounds very familiar to me now that you mention it. Thanks for the clarification! It's been too long since I did this stuff on the regular and I was never very good at it. When I looked at the newest output I got from PL (which appears to be identical to the newly-published ones), I was huffing and puffing because TimTurner wasn't getting elected until the final round and potentially in danger despite hitting quota in the first round. He didn't have any surplus to redistribute and no one's surpluses went to him so I thought it looked very odd compared to what I remembered.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #269 on: May 15, 2017, 12:47:18 PM »

Calculating the transfer values separately at each stage isn't technically incorrect but a different method that was used in the past before computers made counting STV elections a doddle.  Technically you've used the standard Gregory method while that calculator uses Inclusive Gregory (which doesn't allow a ballot paper to increase in value as the count goes on; which the former does) - the latter is better, but almost impossible to do by hand.

Yes, that sounds very familiar to me now that you mention it. Thanks for the clarification! It's been too long since I did this stuff on the regular and I was never very good at it. When I looked at the newest output I got from PL (which appears to be identical to the newly-published ones), I was huffing and puffing because TimTurner wasn't getting elected until the final round and potentially in danger despite hitting quota in the first round. He didn't have any surplus to redistribute and no one's surpluses went to him so I thought it looked very odd compared to what I remembered.

That's the issue with that particular software - what it should have done is just elected TimTurner and not transferred any of his votes: what it did was wait until he exceeded the quota before it would try to transfer votes - that's a problem since it means that if if he had gained a vote in an early stage: rather than that vote skipping him and going on to its next preference it'd be added to TimTurner; and then all of his votes would be redistributed which isn't correct.  Doesn't change anything this time, but that sort of thing could impact future elections.  Unfortunately, there's no better (free) options that I can see
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #270 on: June 03, 2017, 01:32:46 AM »

Good morning ladies and gentlemen.

I am sure that for many this was the last announcement they expected.

I want to first thank those of you who have supported me on my whole journey. From civilian to delegate to Speaker of the South. Twice coming back from the wilderness and you stood beside me every step.

I want to thank four people in particular. I want to thank North Carolina Yankee. For being my friend and surviving through some dark days together.

I want to thank Leinad and PiT for all the chats that we had together on IRC. It was good to really get to know each other.

But most of all I want to thank the woman who's really opened my eyes to the possibilities of life, who took me from seeing in black and white to painting in color. Whenever I listen to Joplin I will always think of you.

Thank you fhtagn.

I wanted to retire about two months ago and I thought about doing so then, but you encouraged me to fight on.

I am very grateful that you came into my life.

I am sure that many people will be very happy with this announcement and that many people will be shocked but it really is time. I've done most that I wanted to achieve and it's time to leave that job to others.

Thank you and God bless!
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #271 on: June 03, 2017, 01:39:28 AM »

Well, this was out of the blue for me at least. I can't say we were the best of friends, by any stretch of the word, but I think we developed some sort of working respect, of which I enjoyed. It will be a very different game and region without you. Thank you for your service.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #272 on: June 03, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »

I wouldn't agree with that, but enough folks have asked me to stay on. So I am going to stay on.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »

Well it seems that Never Again has forgotten about how he became a delegate in the first place. I and atlasia have now. 

It was Governor diptheriadan who appointed him to replace a laborite.

His treachery will not be long forgotten. Never again will the Federalists appoint another laborite to replace a resigning laborite.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2017, 08:47:42 PM »

Lol
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies