The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:22:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 139 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 300456 times)
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3325 on: November 18, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »

I don't think we should consider any law by thinking "what about those that won't abide this ?"
The law's the law, and those who shall not abide shall be prosecuted. As for private sales, I don't think our government has the power to interfere in how they are concluded. And that is from me, a constructivist. But I know that a number of our fellow citizens will rather have a pet from a licensed pet store than from a private sale they know nothing about.
I think we are all working in the same direction here. I think that for once (well, it's not that exceptional in fact), we can bipartisanly pass this bill.
I'll stick with the waiting period, as I' m convinced it should be the way to go to prevent our nation's pets to be left abandoned on the side of the road.

I'll vote this bill with the previous scraping, but keeping the waiting period.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3326 on: November 18, 2012, 07:19:48 PM »

As of now, this is the current draft of the proposed bill:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3327 on: November 18, 2012, 08:03:59 PM »

Pardon my interruption everyone, but I just wanted to inform all that, given the change in power and the amount of time passed, I am giving an additional 48 hours to all regions to formally request a portion of the $8 billion from the Transportation Infrastructure Investment Act for the "repair, expansion, or construction of rapid bus lines in metropolitan areas", or to modify the request which was made of the former SoIA. Should you all wish to make any request or modification, please let me know in my Official Department Office. Thank you!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3328 on: November 19, 2012, 04:23:14 AM »

Pardon my interruption everyone, but I just wanted to inform all that, given the change in power and the amount of time passed, I am giving an additional 48 hours to all regions to formally request a portion of the $8 billion from the Transportation Infrastructure Investment Act for the "repair, expansion, or construction of rapid bus lines in metropolitan areas", or to modify the request which was made of the former SoIA. Should you all wish to make any request or modification, please let me know in my Official Department Office. Thank you!

Free infrastructure money? Surely SJoyce can put some of this to use.This report shows that for $1.4 billion:

We can deploy 2,000 CNG-powered buses, each running a route of 37,000 miles per year for a period of 12 years.

Also, if there is no further debate to be had on the Protect Our Dogs And Cats Act of 2012, a vote will be opened sometime today.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3329 on: November 19, 2012, 06:39:15 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2012, 06:42:57 AM by IDS Co-Speaker SJoyceFla »

Free infrastructure money? Surely SJoyce can put some of this to use.This report shows that for $1.4 billion:

We can deploy 2,000 CNG-powered buses, each running a route of 37,000 miles per year for a period of 12 years.

Also, if there is no further debate to be had on the Protect Our Dogs And Cats Act of 2012, a vote will be opened sometime today.

I do need to find my shiny shiny maps. I had a beautiful one with all sorts of different colored lines representing stages of implementation of a high-speed rail network.

Mr. Speaker, Addressing the honourable member from the fantastic state of Florida.

I did not see that. I concede this point is well-taken and retract that objection.

However, I still have concerns. How are we going to enforce this waiting period? Won't this  incentivize private sales not subject to the wait period and reward businesses that choose to ignore the law?

The businesses that choose to ignore the law would be operating in violation of the law and would thus be in danger of losing their business license, which they don't want to do. As for private sales, while it would be a small incentive for them, it'd also function as an incentive for people to get pets from shelters by the same logic.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3330 on: November 19, 2012, 11:21:04 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2012, 11:28:28 AM by Ben Kenobi »

Mr. Speaker, as a representative for the state of Texas, I vote NAY to the request. If the rest of the IDS wants the money they can have it.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3331 on: November 19, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »

Mr. Speaker, in addressing the honourable member from the fantastic state of florida.

I do hope you don't have plans to extend said network to Texas. We don't want or need it here. If Florida and the rest of the IDS wants it, fine, but count us out.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3332 on: November 19, 2012, 11:27:35 AM »

Mr. Speaker, in response to the honourable member from the glorious state of Georgia -

How would we be able to prove that the business was abiding by the waiting period? The bill as worded is unenforceable. As such, it will not change the rate at which pets are abandoned, but it will increase the costs on the business.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3333 on: November 19, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »

I'll take Ben's government money if he doesn't want it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3334 on: November 19, 2012, 06:09:30 PM »

I'll take Ben's government money if he doesn't want it.

I believe it will be used for a high-speed rail connection from Greenville to Atlanta and Charlotte, so yeah, it goes to you.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3335 on: November 20, 2012, 01:57:47 AM »

I already made a request, but it was considering rail connecting different cities. Re-reading the bill, I think it actually applies to rail within the metropolitan areas, rather than connecting them.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3336 on: November 20, 2012, 02:34:18 AM »

Mr. Speaker I thank the honourable member from South Carolina. It is appreciated.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3337 on: November 20, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2012, 05:39:40 PM by IDS Co-Speaker SJoyceFla »

We appear to have skipped to a new discussion. Let's dispatch this bill before we address that. Speaker Griffin has posted the updated version.

Legislators, this bill is now at a final vote. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Aye.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3338 on: November 20, 2012, 10:46:48 AM »

I vote Aye!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3339 on: November 20, 2012, 10:53:26 AM »

We should probably change the wording in our laws so votes cannot be thrown out on technicalities again so we can vote on a single contest without having to label what we are voting on when we are only voting on one thing.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3340 on: November 20, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »

Mr. Speaker - I'd like to address the honourable member from South Carolina.

If the honourable member sponsors the legislation I will move that it be added to the order paper to be the next item on the agenda.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3341 on: November 20, 2012, 10:56:37 AM »

I would support such legislation being moved to the top of the docket.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3342 on: November 20, 2012, 06:10:05 PM »

I would support such legislation being moved to the top of the docket.

In regards to the Protect Our Dogs And Cats Act of 2012: Aye.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3343 on: November 20, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »

On the Protect our dogs Acts :

Aye.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3344 on: November 20, 2012, 06:19:46 PM »

With a vote of 4-0, this bill passes and awaits the Emperor.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3345 on: November 20, 2012, 10:15:05 PM »

I would have liked more discussion, but there really are more pressing matters for us to attend to.

On the Protect Our Dogs And Cats Act of 2012: by the powers vested in me as Emperor of this region, I thus sign it into law.

Be it resolved, X Emperor PiT
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3346 on: November 20, 2012, 10:35:29 PM »

I've drafted a starting point from which to work on this. This will ultimately have to be put to a regional vote - in any form - if I am not mistaken. Let discussion commence.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3347 on: November 20, 2012, 10:39:37 PM »

Quickly, I'd like to address the issue of the transportation bill. I'm thinking I might just propose a list of the 20 or so most populous cities in the region. Any comments or alternative suggestions?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3348 on: November 20, 2012, 10:57:17 PM »

Quickly, I'd like to address the issue of the transportation bill. I'm thinking I might just propose a list of the 20 or so most populous cities in the region. Any comments or alternative suggestions?

This idea sounds reasonable. I cannot imagine where greater transportation efficiency could be achieved than in the most urbanized areas.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3349 on: November 20, 2012, 11:33:56 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2012, 12:17:44 AM by Emperor PiT »

I culled a list from Wikipedia:

Houston, TX
San Antonio, TX
Dallas, TX
Jacksonville, FL
Austin, TX
Fort Worth, TX
Charlotte, NC
El Paso, TX
Memphis, TN
Nashville, TN
Atlanta, GA
Raleigh, NC
Miami, FL
San Juan, PR
Arlington, TX
New Orleans, LA
Tampa, FL
Corpus Christi, TX
Greensboro, NC
Charleston, SC

I already took the liberty of replacing #20 (Saint Petersburg, FL) with Charleston, SC, an important city in the region's history. I am thinking about more replacements due to historical and social significance as well as improving geographical spread (say dropping Plano, TX for Jackson, MS), but I would like more input on it. Then I hope to submit a list to the SoIA before I check out for the night.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 139 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies