Romney Takes Responsibility for Misspeaking (47% Gaffe)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:45:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney Takes Responsibility for Misspeaking (47% Gaffe)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Romney Takes Responsibility for Misspeaking (47% Gaffe)  (Read 3919 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:48:08 PM »
« edited: October 04, 2012, 11:51:02 PM by Politico »

When will the president man up and take responsibility for at least the last year or two? For a change, Obama should be more like Romney and take responsibility:

(CNN) — Mitt Romney said he was “completely wrong” when he argued that nearly half of Americans were “victims” and dependent on government.

The admission came Thursday as the GOP presidential candidate sought to clarify his controversial “47%”
comments.

“Clearly in a campaign with hundreds if not thousands of speeches and question-and-answer sessions, now and then you’re going to say something that doesn’t come out right,” Romney said on Fox News. “In this case, I said something that’s just completely wrong.”

On Fox News Thursday night, Romney was asked what he would have said if the president had brought up the controversial statements–which is when the GOP nominee went as far as to say he was “wrong.”
He then argued that, if elected, he would represent all Americans, not just half.

“I absolutely believe, however, that my life has shown that I care about 100% and that’s been demonstrated throughout my life. And this whole campaign is about the 100%. When I become president, it will be helping the 100%.”

Source: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/04/romney-on-47-comments-i-was-completely-wrong/
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:49:52 PM »

The 47% was not a gaffe... he didn't misspeak... there was a clear stream of consciousness and a line of argument.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2012, 11:56:04 PM by Politico »

The 47% was not a gaffe... he didn't misspeak... there was a clear stream of consciousness and a line of argument.

Romney admits he was wrong, which takes character to do. He misspoke. We have 8% unemployment, 23 million people out of work, from 32 million to 47 million people on food stamps, and the first and only presidential term of four years of trillion dollar deficits. Which is worse? Who wants four more years of the last four years?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:55:24 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2012, 11:57:23 PM by Yank2133 »

His credibility is already shot.

No matter what he says about the 47%,  everyone is going to assume he is simply pandering and telling them what they want to hear.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 11:56:12 PM »

He didn't misspeak, he was speaking to a room full of donors and said exactly what he meant.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 11:57:54 PM »

He had two options:

1) Apologize right off the bat.

2) Grit it out all the way to the end.

He chose neither of those. This is the worst possible way to go. Nothing quite like the flip-flop of surrender on an issue to make independent voters shake their heads.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 11:59:39 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2012, 12:08:36 AM by Politico »

Last night, the Governor laid out a vision for the next four years. It is the president who failed to defend the last four years, let alone set down a vision for the future. Last night proved that the Romney that Obama keeps talking about is a figment of the Obama campaign's imagination.

But some of you completely missed this because you're blinded by partisanship and an emotional connection with a politician who was, in a word, hype.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 12:08:59 AM »

This is why Team Obama decided not to hit Romney with the 47% last night. They knew Romney would be ready for it and would use it as an opportunity to show contrition and humanity. Being that Obama didn't give him the chance he went on Hannity to do it.

I'm not saying that Obama's prevent defense strat was good last night, but in this one case they probably made the right call. The damage of the 47% has been shown in the polls. Bringing it up would only have given Romney this chance to prove he is human.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 12:15:09 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2012, 02:06:42 AM by shua, gm »

He didn't just misspeak. Seems like he's admitting as much now - that he was just plain wrong on this. He needed to say this the day after.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 12:17:19 AM »

I think people need to move (liberals especially) 'forward' and drop the entire subject about the 47% and 53%, this sh*t is getting ridiculous. The country has more important things to worry about.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 12:36:11 AM »

Everything Romney says that he doesn't want you to hear is him misspeaking?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 01:52:14 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2012, 02:17:49 AM by Californian Tony »

I think people need to move (liberals especially) 'forward' and drop the entire subject about the 47% and 53%, this sh*t is getting ridiculous. The country has more important things to worry about.

Yeah, right... In any normal country, a candidate saying he doesn't give a sh*t about half of the country (especially when it happens to be the half who suffers the most) would be politically dead, to the point of being forced to drop out in order to avoid the humiliation of a 30%/70% debacle.
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 01:55:27 AM »

Mitt Romney's definitely apologized for more things than he claims Barack Obama ever did apologize for. It's okay, the genie's out of the bottle already.
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 02:16:56 AM »

Too little too late
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 04:58:32 AM »

Bullsh**t.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 06:03:52 AM »

He sure took his time taking responsibility.

Yet another case of Mitt shaking the ol' Etch-a-Sketch. It's easy to do that when you don't have any core values to build your political beliefs around.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 06:40:13 AM »

Romney admits he was wrong, which takes character to do. He misspoke. We have 8% unemployment, 23 million people out of work, from 32 million to 47 million people on food stamps, and the first and only presidential term of four years of trillion dollar deficits. Which is worse? Who wants four more years of the last four years?

You know what? I'm sick of your crap. You used to have some entertainment value due to your absurdity, but this is the last straw. You contribute absolutely nothing to this forum. You have effectively made this exact post dozens, if not hundreds, of times. All you do is vomit talking points or whatever Romney said in the debate, and then get people to argue with you. But it's not worth it. You are the dictionary definition of white noise. When you say something not related to vomiting stats Romney told you or flailing about "hype" and "Chicago politics", maybe I'll reconsider. But for now you are doubtlessly the worst thing about this board.

But you know what? Stick around. If you don't run away with your tail between your legs, I'd love to see your reaction when Obama wins next month.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 08:01:59 AM »

Is there anything upon which this valueless cipher won't flip flop?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 08:09:18 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2012, 08:11:14 AM by Politico »

He sure took his time taking responsibility.

We're still waiting for the president to take responsibility for at least the last year or two.

Romney misspoke. Under Obama's leadership, we have 23 million people out of work, trillion dollar deficits each of the last four years, and 47 million people on food stamps. Which is worse? When somebody honestly answers this, then they can slam Romney for being man enough to take responsibility for his mistakes.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »

He had two options:

1) Apologize right off the bat.

2) Grit it out all the way to the end.

He chose neither of those. This is the worst possible way to go. Nothing quite like the flip-flop of surrender on an issue to make independent voters shake their heads.
This is exactly right. Apologizing NOW accomplishes nothing. Romney shot himself in the foot there (again).
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 09:09:53 AM »

Again, Romney did not mispeak, he did not fluff a line - he was clear on what he meant and in fact he doubled-down on the message suggests that...

Romney is making a desperate scramble for the centre - but what was said (and backed up through Romney AND the entire GOP leadership after the fact) cannot be unsaid.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 09:14:26 AM »

Clearly Mittens misspoke because he made a factual error. It was not just an ideological perspective. Obviously, millions of folks who don't pay income taxes will be voting for Mittens. Heck the correlation between wealth and partisan affiliation is a weak as it has ever been in the Fruited Plain - certainly in my lifetime at least, and my parents' lifetime as well.  Thank you.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 09:51:54 AM »

Clearly Mittens misspoke because he made a factual error. It was not just an ideological perspective. Obviously, millions of folks who don't pay income taxes will be voting for Mittens. Heck the correlation between wealth and partisan affiliation is a weak as it has ever been in the Fruited Plain - certainly in my lifetime at least, and my parents' lifetime as well.  Thank you.
A factual error? So, in non-lawyer speak, you're claiming he was lying? Or do you think he was so misinformed to believe something that, as you point out, is wildly off target.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 09:54:07 AM »

Obama should throw out another ad about it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 09:59:41 AM »

A factual error? So, in non-lawyer speak, you're claiming he was lying? Or do you think he was so misinformed to believe something that, as you point out, is wildly off target.

He just had brain lock for a moment. Have you ever said anything that just came out wrong? His larger point that the more folks there are dependent on government largess, the stronger the headwinds for a Pub, is true - at least until insolvency ensues.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies