Trump approval ratings thread, 1.4
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:36:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread, 1.4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 74
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread, 1.4  (Read 178859 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: August 31, 2018, 11:45:56 AM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #351 on: August 31, 2018, 12:42:19 PM »

LOL Trump's approval amongst AAs in the ABC poll is 3%. That is impressive.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #352 on: August 31, 2018, 12:42:39 PM »

Yep, I think the nation has hit Russia fatigue at this point. We're gonna need another Healthcare circus in Congress or a well-timed recession (preferably before Dems control any part of Congress) to sink him.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #353 on: August 31, 2018, 01:42:07 PM »

Everyone interested in polling should read this entire (longish) thread:

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #354 on: August 31, 2018, 01:53:04 PM »

Good stuff.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #355 on: August 31, 2018, 02:06:37 PM »

WaPo seems to have been one of the harder polls from Trump this year.

Indeed. Could be a leading indicator of what to expect in other polls, though.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #356 on: August 31, 2018, 02:13:26 PM »

Good stuff.

He definitely learned his lesson. The pollsters, or at least those B and above, know what they are talking about. Even 2016, they were right. It's just there were 10% undecideds and 18% didn't like anyone. They just broke 2 to 1 against the lazier campaign and 45 + 3 is 48 and 40+6 is 46. The election day break won Trump surprise wins in Michigan, Florida, Wisconsin,  and Pennsylvania.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #357 on: August 31, 2018, 02:53:47 PM »

Another state that's not very interesting in terms of Trump approval:

West Virginia: WV Metro News, Aug. 16-26, 404 likely voters

Approve 60
Disapprove 33

Note: Manchin is +8 in this poll.

Atlas: "Only Likely R in 2020 because of muh ancestral DINOs"
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #358 on: August 31, 2018, 02:58:10 PM »

I definitely think that this ABC/Washington Post poll is a bit of an outlier, but a 53% strong disapproval among American adults has to be one of the worst numbers ever posted by a president.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #359 on: August 31, 2018, 03:17:28 PM »

I don't think Trump's approvals will change more than 2-3 points in either direction until at least the midterms. That might shake things up a bit.

TBH, Trump right now is about two points below where Obama's approvals were when Obama managed to lose like 60 House seats in 2010. Just worth keeping in mind.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #360 on: August 31, 2018, 03:23:01 PM »

I don't think Trump's approvals will change more than 2-3 points in either direction until at least the midterms. That might shake things up a bit.

TBH, Trump right now is about two points below where Obama's approvals were when Obama managed to lose like 60 House seats in 2010. Just worth keeping in mind.

And with much higher strong disapproval numbers than Obama's.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #361 on: August 31, 2018, 06:33:45 PM »

Were the house races in 2010 the same ones up for election/reelection in 2018?  Don't they generally favor Republicans anyway?  I'm a moron and I'm lazy.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #362 on: August 31, 2018, 06:37:39 PM »

Were the house races in 2010 the same ones up for election/reelection in 2018?  Don't they generally favor Republicans anyway?  I'm a moron and I'm lazy.

I don't quite understand the question.  All 435 House races are up every two years.  Were you thinking of Senate races?  Those are six-year terms, so the 2010 class was up again in 2016.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #363 on: August 31, 2018, 06:44:17 PM »

Well, maybe the WaPo poll wasn't an outlier after all.

IBD/TIPP, Aug 23-30, 902 adults (change from last month)

Approve 36 (-5)
Disapprove 56 (+3)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #364 on: August 31, 2018, 06:47:41 PM »

I don't quite understand the question.  All 435 House races are up every two years.  Were you thinking of Senate races?  Those are six-year terms, so the 2010 class was up again in 2016.

Yea, I was thinking Senate.  Whoops!  Really revealed my stupidity there.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #365 on: August 31, 2018, 06:48:02 PM »

A few other notes from the ABC/WP poll:

- This is Trump's worst showing to date in this poll (previously he's been at -22 a few times)

- 49% say Congress should start impeachment proceedings, 46% say no

- 63% support Mueller probe (52% strongly support), 29% oppose

I'm impressed that nearly half of all Americans already support impeachment -and this is before Mueller (or rather Rosenstein) has released his final report to Congress.  

If Mueller finds evidence of conspiracy and money laundering, and Trump's clear involvement in those crimes, imagine where the numbers will be then... 

That won't translate enough to the necessary Republican votes for conviction in the Senate though. So really, it doesn't matter.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #366 on: August 31, 2018, 06:49:11 PM »

After the two terrible polls for Trump today, the 538 average is now at 40.3/54.4 (-14.1).  The disapproval number and margin are the highest since Feb. 28.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #367 on: August 31, 2018, 06:50:02 PM »

A few other notes from the ABC/WP poll:

- This is Trump's worst showing to date in this poll (previously he's been at -22 a few times)

- 49% say Congress should start impeachment proceedings, 46% say no

- 63% support Mueller probe (52% strongly support), 29% oppose

I'm impressed that nearly half of all Americans already support impeachment -and this is before Mueller (or rather Rosenstein) has released his final report to Congress.  

If Mueller finds evidence of conspiracy and money laundering, and Trump's clear involvement in those crimes, imagine where the numbers will be then... 

That won't translate enough to the necessary Republican votes for conviction in the Senate though. So really, it doesn't matter.

Exactly.

Impeachment isn't a goal anyone should be working toward unless and until Republicans come on board.  He's obviously a destructive president who shouldn't be in the position he's in (give me Mike Pence over Trump any day), but there's really nothing that can be done until the GOP step up, even just a little.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #368 on: August 31, 2018, 06:51:44 PM »

Approve 36 (-5)
Disapprove 56 (+3)

So it appears the Cohen-Manafort fiasco is tearing up Trump.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #369 on: August 31, 2018, 06:57:30 PM »

IBD/TIPP Approval by region-

Rural: 45% (-15)
Suburban: 35% (-7)

That's the only two mentioned in the poll. They didn't attach a link to their full study.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #370 on: August 31, 2018, 06:57:33 PM »

Approve 36 (-5)
Disapprove 56 (+3)

So it appears the Cohen-Manafort fiasco is tearing up Trump.

I think so too, and how petty he looked regarding McCain's death may be adding to it.

It's worth noting that these two bad results for Trump were from pollsters rated A+ (WaPo/ABC) and A- (IBD/TIPP) by 538.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #371 on: August 31, 2018, 10:12:33 PM »

Approve 36 (-5)
Disapprove 56 (+3)

Devastating, as this is a media outlet for people surely leaning to the Right. This is corroboration.

At this point, should nothing really change between  now and November 2020, President Trump should end up with less than 45% of the popular vote. No presidential nominee has lost by such a margin in a binary election since Mondale lost to Reagan. (I am not counting the two elections involving Bill Clinton, as those involved a strong independent nominee).

That's the only two mentioned in the poll. They didn't attach a link to their full study.

(link here)

https://www.investors.com/politics/trumps-approval-midterm-elections-ibd-tipp-poll/

...Take a look at the voting map by counties in the last three Presidential elections, and you will notice huge swaths of counties with deep blue coloration.  The exceptions are places with large African-American, Hispanic, or First Peoples populations and such an oddity as New England. Republicans win the farm-and-ranch vote. At this level of approval, they will nearly break even in rural America. Republicans need 60% of the rural vote to offset majorities of 55% or so for Democrats in urban areas even in such states as South Dakota and Alabama.

Farmers and ranchers are usually easy wins for Republicans because they are the easiest people  for federal, state, and local taxing authorities to treat them as cash cows. But cut their commodity prices, and no tax cut can offset such a loss. The trade war can cut their revenue, and tariffs will make farming costs rise.

Don't ridicule farmers and ranchers as hicks living in the past. They are connected to the rest of the world, and that includes the consumer economy. They are often well educated.

...on Suburbia -- suburban America is becoming legitimately urban. Suburbia used to have some rural character with single-family houses with real lawns and with crowded highways leading only to and from the jobs in the city centers. Infrastructure costs were low when the roads, sewers, and schools were new. That is over. As apartment blocks replace bungalows from the post-WWII suburban boom, once-lightly-traveled suburban streets must be expanded at considerable cost. Seventy-year-old school buildings once the pride of Suburbia are often rotting edifices in need of replacement. Sewers and water lines have approached the end of their useful lives. Suburbia once had low maintenance costs and low taxes. That is over. The older suburbs are legitimately urban.   

....the conviction by a jury of Paul Manafort, the plea bargain by Michael Cohen, and the petty treatment of the late Senator John McCain may be kicking in. The trade wars may be hurtful to America, but that has yet to set in. Such things are not forgotten.     

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #372 on: August 31, 2018, 10:42:53 PM »

Approve 36 (-5)
Disapprove 56 (+3)

Devastating, as this is a media outlet for people surely leaning to the Right. This is corroboration.

At this point, should nothing really change between  now and November 2020, President Trump should end up with less than 45% of the popular vote. No presidential nominee has lost by such a margin in a binary election since Mondale lost to Reagan. (I am not counting the two elections involving Bill Clinton, as those involved a strong independent nominee).

(link here)

https://www.investors.com/politics/trumps-approval-midterm-elections-ibd-tipp-poll/

...Take a look at the voting map by counties in the last three Presidential elections, and you will notice huge swaths of counties with deep blue coloration.  The exceptions are places with large African-American, Hispanic, or First Peoples populations and such an oddity as New England. Republicans win the farm-and-ranch vote. At this level of approval, they will nearly break even in rural America. Republicans need 60% of the rural vote to offset majorities of 55% or so for Democrats in urban areas even in such states as South Dakota and Alabama.

Farmers and ranchers are usually easy wins for Republicans because they are the easiest people  for federal, state, and local taxing authorities to treat them as cash cows. But cut their commodity prices, and no tax cut can offset such a loss. The trade war can cut their revenue, and tariffs will make farming costs rise.

Don't ridicule farmers and ranchers as hicks living in the past. They are connected to the rest of the world, and that includes the consumer economy. They are often well educated.

...on Suburbia -- suburban America is becoming legitimately urban. Suburbia used to have some rural character with single-family houses with real lawns and with crowded highways leading only to and from the jobs in the city centers. Infrastructure costs were low when the roads, sewers, and schools were new. That is over. As apartment blocks replace bungalows from the post-WWII suburban boom, once-lightly-traveled suburban streets must be expanded at considerable cost. Seventy-year-old school buildings once the pride of Suburbia are often rotting edifices in need of replacement. Sewers and water lines have approached the end of their useful lives. Suburbia once had low maintenance costs and low taxes. That is over. The older suburbs are legitimately urban.   

....the conviction by a jury of Paul Manafort, the plea bargain by Michael Cohen, and the petty treatment of the late Senator John McCain may be kicking in. The trade wars may be hurtful to America, but that has yet to set in. Such things are not forgotten.     

When I mean "full study" I mean the sheets of data that tell us everything like vote by age group, religion, ethnicity, etc. This was just a basic summary of their findings and they omitted a lot of what I would've like to see.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #373 on: August 31, 2018, 11:49:28 PM »

Trump at 38/54 in the August 29-30 YouGov as well. Worst numbers in quite some time.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #374 on: September 01, 2018, 08:01:56 AM »

Trump at 38/54 in the August 29-30 YouGov as well. Worst numbers in quite some time.

That's another interesting data point in line with the trend, but it's worth keeping in mind that those one-day 1000 adult YouGov snapshots tend to be really noisy.  Their weekly(ish) 1500 adult surveys aren't so bouncy.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies