Indictment-O-Rama, Act 3: Cohen Up the River
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:22:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Indictment-O-Rama, Act 3: Cohen Up the River
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 37
Author Topic: Indictment-O-Rama, Act 3: Cohen Up the River  (Read 78148 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: August 09, 2019, 07:29:21 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #701 on: August 09, 2019, 07:47:37 AM »

Wasn't the Trump and his bureaucracy seeking judicial relief over this?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #702 on: August 10, 2019, 07:43:39 AM »

Major banks hand over wealth of information on Russians linked to Trump family to Congress: report - “Some banks are also giving documents related to Mr. Trump’s business . . . to New York state investigators"
Among the institutions turning over documents, are Bank of America Corp. , Citigroup Inc., Deutsche Bank AG , JPMorgan Chase & Co., Morgan Stanley and Wells Fargo & Co.

The Journal adds, “The investigators are working on a joint probe into potential foreign influence on Mr. Trump and his family by the House Financial Services Committee and the House Intelligence Committee. More information will likely be handed over in coming weeks as the banks continue to respond to subpoenas sent in April.”
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #703 on: August 23, 2019, 08:15:43 AM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #704 on: August 23, 2019, 12:30:42 PM »

Fake news absent confirmation from a credible source
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #705 on: August 23, 2019, 12:35:34 PM »

Fake news absent confirmation from a credible source

I'm inclined to agree.  I read the whole thread and my impression is that Abramson is trying to sell his book.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #706 on: August 23, 2019, 12:43:31 PM »

Who would file charges for lying to Congress anyway?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #707 on: August 23, 2019, 01:08:28 PM »

It could be referred to the DOJ for investigation and possible prosecution.  Lying to Congress is a federal crime.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #708 on: August 23, 2019, 05:17:24 PM »

Did you ever read about the Kefauver Committee? Senator Estes Kefauver organized investigations of organized crime in interstate commerce, and although many mobsters were called before committees of both Houses of Congress, most mobsters knew enough to plead the Fifth Amendment. Had they admitted their crimes, then such would be cause for conviction for crimes themselves. Had they denied what they did they could have been nailed for lying to Congress, which has time in federal prison as a consequence.

the crimes themselves -- or perjury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_Special_Committee_to_Investigate_Crime_in_Interstate_Commerce
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #709 on: August 29, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »

DOJ office of the inspector general releases their report on Comey's leak of his memos: https://oig.justice.gov/reports/2019/o1902.pdf.

TL/DR: Comey violated DOJ and FBI policies and his employment agreement.  He did not leak any classified information.  The findings were referred to DOJ, which declined to press charges.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #710 on: September 06, 2019, 09:31:22 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2019, 09:35:27 PM by libertpaulian »

BREAKING!

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #711 on: September 07, 2019, 06:30:07 PM »

BREAKING!

FINALLY!
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #712 on: September 08, 2019, 11:17:33 AM »

Donald Trump Was “Colluding” with Roger Stone on Four Different Direct Lines
The parties in the Roger Stone trial just released some pre-trial documents that include a stipulation for a bunch of emails and phone numbers that will be discussed at trial. (I’m not linking them because they’re not redacted.)

The big surprise — though I guess we should have expected this — is that Erik Prince is on there, which means he’s probably the Trump supporter eagerly awaiting the drop of John Podesta’s emails.

But far more damning is that there are four Donald Trump phone numbers there, as well as numbers for his two assistants and his bodyguard, Keith Schiller.

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #713 on: September 15, 2019, 01:53:58 AM »

Holder cautions against potentially prosecuting Trump post presidency

I am shocked, shocked, that a man who accepted a cushy sinecure after refusing to prosecute torture, domestic spying, and the largest financial frauds in our nation's history doesn't want to prosecute Don the Con either.

Anyone defending Trump using some "good of the nation" nonsense or anything similar is no better than the Republicans crooks and traitors they want to help.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #714 on: September 15, 2019, 05:51:56 AM »

There's a decent chance that Trump might not be fit to stand trial after his presidency.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #715 on: September 15, 2019, 06:47:41 AM »

On the theme of prosecuting Trump after he leaves office, today's Doonesbury comic is "The Future Tweets of Donald J. Trump."

https://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/2019/09/15
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #716 on: September 15, 2019, 07:43:18 AM »

I am shocked, shocked, that a man who accepted a cushy sinecure after refusing to prosecute torture, domestic spying, and the largest financial frauds in our nation's history doesn't want to prosecute Don the Con either.

Anyone defending Trump using some "good of the nation" nonsense or anything similar is no better than the Republicans crooks and traitors they want to help.

That’s not what he said...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #717 on: September 15, 2019, 12:47:02 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2019, 12:51:20 PM by Grand Mufti of Northern Virginia »

He said that in the absence of impeachment, Trump should not be prosecuted after leaving office, given that it would 'pose risks to the nation'.  To which I answer, isn't there a greater risk if we leave the public with the impression that if you are rich and famous enough, that you can never be held accountable for your actions (in this life)?  That Trump is therefore above the law?  Is that really what Holder wants for this country -one set of rules for the ordinary Joe and Jane, and then another for the elite?  

Screw him.  
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #718 on: September 15, 2019, 09:16:18 PM »

He said that in the absence of impeachment, Trump should not be prosecuted after leaving office, given that it would 'pose risks to the nation'.  To which I answer, isn't there a greater risk if we leave the public with the impression that if you are rich and famous enough, that you can never be held accountable for your actions (in this life)?  That Trump is therefore above the law?  Is that really what Holder wants for this country -one set of rules for the ordinary Joe and Jane, and then another for the elite?  

Screw him.  

I may have missed that part, but I didn't see where he said Trump shouldn't be prosecuted.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #719 on: September 15, 2019, 09:25:02 PM »

Screw him.  

I may have missed that part, but I didn't see where he said Trump shouldn't be prosecuted.

He doesn't say so explicitly -to be sure, he says Trump may be prosecuted after leaving office, but then qualifies that initial statement so much so that towards the end of the interview, he might as well have said the opposite. 
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #720 on: September 15, 2019, 09:51:40 PM »

Screw him.  

He doesn't say so explicitly -to be sure, he says Trump may be prosecuted after leaving office, but then qualifies that initial statement so much so that towards the end of the interview, he might as well have said the opposite. 

Here's the part that got me steaming mad:
"Yes, I think there is a potential cost to the nation by putting on trial a former president, and that ought to at least be a part of the calculus that goes into the determination that has to be made by the next attorney general," Holder said.

"I think we all should understand what a trial of a former president would do to the nation, he added, acknowledging that Ford's decision may have cost him the 1976 election.

Holder added, "But you know, I think looking back, I tend to think that that was probably the right thing to do."

Again, this isn't surprising, because it's just a variation on the life and values Holder has lived:

When the rich and powerful break the law and get caught, they are given a a slap on the wrist, and sometimes a show is made over their guilt, but they get to keep their freedom and their money, both their ill-gotten gains and their pre-existing wealth.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #721 on: September 16, 2019, 03:23:24 PM »

Elmo?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #722 on: September 16, 2019, 03:24:35 PM »

Elmo would be premature.  So far Trump has managed to stave off all requests for the returns.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #723 on: September 18, 2019, 11:32:29 AM »

Screw him.  

"Yes, I think there is a potential cost to the nation by putting on trial a former president, and that ought to at least be a part of the calculus that goes into the determination that has to be made by the next attorney general," Holder said.

"I think we all should understand what a trial of a former president would do to the nation, he added, acknowledging that Ford's decision may have cost him the 1976 election.

Holder added, "But you know, I think looking back, I tend to think that that was probably the right thing to do."

Again, this isn't surprising, because it's just a variation on the life and values Holder has lived:

When the rich and powerful break the law and get caught, they are given a a slap on the wrist, and sometimes a show is made over their guilt, but they get to keep their freedom and their money, both their ill-gotten gains and their pre-existing wealth.

There is a fundamental difference between CrossFit and Nixon and Prosecuting Trump. Nixon always had an aura of sleaze and dirty tricks about him, but at least he tried oh, fortunately unsuccessfully, to keep things hidden. Has been unspeakably maddeningly open and Brazen about his disdain for the law and thinking he can and will do whatever he wants because he's president and Rich. If he's not prosecuted after giving American basis of government the middle finger I nearly daily basis for four years oh, and fleeces the treasury consistently throughout that period, then that will permanently and significantly rude trust in American Justice.

Not to mention I would argue the constitutional violations here at very least as significant as Watergate, maybe even more so in some ways again based on the Brazen and almost daring nature being willing to flout the law from day one. On top of that, while there was some Financial shenanigans Nixon, it is nothing compared to the Teapot Dome on steroids that Trump has engendered in his administration.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #724 on: September 18, 2019, 01:29:17 PM »

Screw him.  

There is a fundamental difference between CrossFit and Nixon and Prosecuting Trump. Nixon always had an aura of sleaze and dirty tricks about him, but at least he tried oh, fortunately unsuccessfully, to keep things hidden. Has been unspeakably maddeningly open and Brazen about his disdain for the law and thinking he can and will do whatever he wants because he's president and Rich. If he's not prosecuted after giving American basis of government the middle finger I nearly daily basis for four years oh, and fleeces the treasury consistently throughout that period, then that will permanently and significantly rude trust in American Justice.

Not to mention I would argue the constitutional violations here at very least as significant as Watergate, maybe even more so in some ways again based on the Brazen and almost daring nature being willing to flout the law from day one. On top of that, while there was some Financial shenanigans Nixon, it is nothing compared to the Teapot Dome on steroids that Trump has engendered in his administration.

The entire Teapot Dome scandal ironically may mean that eventually the rule of law might live to see another day. Despite the Teapot Dome scandal, there were practically zero consequences for it and yet the law didn't lose its value because of it.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies