Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:10:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 78
Author Topic: Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)  (Read 173553 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: July 27, 2017, 10:27:28 PM »

It all comes down to McCain:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This was from 5 hours ago.

Pence is en route to the Capitol.

Isn't that a big hint?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1151 on: July 27, 2017, 10:28:20 PM »

It all comes down to McCain:

This was from 5 hours ago.

Pence is en route to the Capitol.

Isn't that a big hint?

They would be bringing him anyway just to be safe if they knew it was going to be a very close vote. But, I'm guessing they have 50 votes.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1152 on: July 27, 2017, 10:29:17 PM »

Gov Ducey coming out against it is a sign that mccain will vote no.

Why would the gov say that otherwise/
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1153 on: July 27, 2017, 10:29:41 PM »

Welp, looks like Senate Republicans want to lock themselves into a position to be blackmailed by the House Republicans. On another note, if this does end up being passed by the House (even though Ryan pinky promised), the amount of disgusting precedent this process has set makes potentially passing something like single payer a lot easier in 2021.

This really does look like a stupid bill. It essentially leaves most of the main parts of Obamacare intact, will cause premiums to skyrocket, and uninsure millions of people. If they were going to pass something, why the  would they pass a turd like this

Because they are stupid.

The GOP backing terrible policy isn't new, but the political incompetence in all of this is astonishing.  
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1154 on: July 27, 2017, 10:32:24 PM »

Anyone feel bad that these old geezers in the senate have to stay up this late to vote on this stuff?

Can't be good for health
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1155 on: July 27, 2017, 10:33:29 PM »

Anyone feel bad that these old geezers in the senate have to stay up this late to vote on this stuff?

Can't be good for health
It's okay. We pay for their healthcare so it's all good.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1156 on: July 27, 2017, 10:35:48 PM »

Of course McCain will vote yes. There's no way he's going to pull off an epic troll job like that.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1157 on: July 27, 2017, 10:36:30 PM »

Welp, looks like Senate Republicans want to lock themselves into a position to be blackmailed by the House Republicans. On another note, if this does end up being passed by the House (even though Ryan pinky promised), the amount of disgusting precedent this process has set makes potentially passing something like single payer a lot easier in 2021.

This really does look like a stupid bill. It essentially leaves most of the main parts of Obamacare intact, will cause premiums to skyrocket, and uninsure millions of people. If they were going to pass something, why the  would they pass a turd like this

Because they've backed themselves into a corner and have no good outs. There is no long term victory for them here.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1158 on: July 27, 2017, 10:36:56 PM »

Of course McCain will vote yes. There's no way he's going to pull off an epic troll job like that.

Not to make light of it, but the dude has aggressive brain cancer.  He's at the "I don't give a flying sh**t what people think of me" stage.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1159 on: July 27, 2017, 10:37:18 PM »

Capito is also an unknown vote right now.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1160 on: July 27, 2017, 10:39:53 PM »

So, the skinny repeal preserves 95% of ObamaCare, doesn't get rid of the Medicaid expansion, or the exchanges or like, 95% of things ObamaCare does.

But it raises premiums 20% and kicks off 16 million people because of higher premiums. Do I have that right?

Yes. And most Republican senators  seem to be aware of that and will vote yes anyway
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1161 on: July 27, 2017, 10:41:33 PM »

So, the skinny repeal preserves 95% of ObamaCare, doesn't get rid of the Medicaid expansion, or the exchanges or like, 95% of things ObamaCare does.

But it raises premiums 20% and kicks off 16 million people because of higher premiums. Do I have that right?

Yes.

It is pretty much the dumbest choice by Republicans. They aren't even getting much in terms of tax cuts out of this and on top of that they made it much easier for Democrats to sell a public/single payer option the next time they control the government.

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1162 on: July 27, 2017, 10:41:44 PM »

Senator Enzi is kind of a douche.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1163 on: July 27, 2017, 10:42:11 PM »

Yes. And most Republican senators  seem to be aware of that and will vote yes anyway
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #1164 on: July 27, 2017, 10:42:16 PM »

They're making a short term political calculation that will royally screw them in future elections.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1165 on: July 27, 2017, 10:43:37 PM »

Yes. And most Republican senators  seem to be aware of that and will vote yes anyway

They're making a short term political calculation that will royally screw them in future elections.

The GOP, especially now with Trump as their figurehead, cares more now about the optics of ostensible victory over actual substantive victories. Such is the myopia that has infected the party. It's like watching a trainwreck happen in slow motion.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1166 on: July 27, 2017, 10:44:30 PM »

Especially in person!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1167 on: July 27, 2017, 10:44:43 PM »

Expect blue states to do just that.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1168 on: July 27, 2017, 10:46:00 PM »

The thing is I don't even get what the short-term benefits are from this.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1169 on: July 27, 2017, 10:47:51 PM »

They get to campaign on having "repealed" ObamaCare and defunded PP.

I Also take this opportunity, if by some small chance a senator is reading this, to express my complete opposition to Skinny Repeal, which will kill 16 million people.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #1170 on: July 27, 2017, 10:49:56 PM »

They'll get to say that they won and that they were able to do what everyone in the media establishment thought was impossible. They'll also get to say that they kept a major campaign promise, and they'll blame any of the catastrophic consequences of their bill on the Democrats.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1171 on: July 27, 2017, 10:52:51 PM »

I Also take this opportunity, if by some small chance a senator is reading this, to express my complete opposition to Skinny Repeal, which will kill 16 million people.

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and assume that no U.S. Senator is reading your post right now.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #1172 on: July 27, 2017, 10:53:17 PM »

They'll get to say that they won and that they were able to do what everyone in the media establishment thought was impossible. They'll also get to say that they kept a major campaign promise, and they'll blame any of the catastrophic consequences of their bill on the Democrats.

Which the public won't blame Dems for tho. Cuz that's not how politics works

I 100% agree, which is why I think they're making a terrible political calculation.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1173 on: July 27, 2017, 10:53:22 PM »

Yes. And most Republican senators  seem to be aware of that and will vote yes anyway

What good is that when premiums skyrocket and Democrats can just point to GOP passing this bill (and bragging about it) as the problem?

They didn't get any major tax cuts from this or reshaped Medicaid. All they did was sabotage the private markets and took ownership for all of healthcare woes.

Honestly, it is mind-boggling how they sat their for eight years and didn't learn a single thing about what Democrats went through when they passed the ACA.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1174 on: July 27, 2017, 10:54:46 PM »

Which the public won't blame Dems for tho. Cuz that's not how politics works

How politics works is whoever can dominate the narrative wins. And democrats should aim to dominate the narrative by pointing out repeatedly that Skinny Repeal will kill 16 million people.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies