The Examiner: Election Tracker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 10:05:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Examiner: Election Tracker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 80
Author Topic: The Examiner: Election Tracker  (Read 193602 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2008, 06:52:11 PM »

The Examiner
26 March 2008

NLC: Wixted favourite to fill D4 Vacancy

NLC Chairman Verily has opened the party’s decision making process on who to fill the District 4 vacancy.

Despite early support for MAS from Gov. AndrewCT, MAS withdrew himself from consideration following a declaration of interest from Fmr. President Colin Wixted.

The declaration was quickly followed by declarations of support from across the party including: Sen. Hashemite; Rockefeller Republican; Gov. Andrew CT; and, SoFA Moderate.

However, NLC newcomer South Park Conservative would seem to also be in the running. He has declared himself to be “willing to take the seat” and indeed “willing to caucus with the party on important issues”.

Though Colin Wixted must be seen as the strong favourite to take the position, South Park Conservative seems eager to put the matter to a vote.

Fair is fair. When Mr. Moderate's seat became vacant after he was appointed SoFA, they looked to people within his district to replace him before they looked elsewhere (Hashmite, a resident of the district, ultimately took the seat). Are they going to treat Jake's vacant seat differently because Colin wishes to take the seat? It sounds like a double standard to me.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2008, 07:27:24 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2008, 07:29:54 AM by Jas »

The Examiner
27 March 2008

NLC vote on D4 vacancy: Wixted v SPC

NLC Chairman Verily has opened an “informal vote” for NLC members to decide upon their preference as to who should fill the vacancy. The early votes show that Colin Wixted is the strong favourite to be chosen to take the seat.

South Park Conservative has accused the NLC of adopting a “double standard” in choosing a different method for filling this vacancy than for the previous District 2 vacancy of Mr. Moderate.

----

PLP decide on candidates

The PLP have begun voting on their choice of candidates for the upcoming mid-terms. Early voting makes clear that Party Vice-Chair Xahar is now decidedly unlikely to gain the official party endorsement to run. The party has so far unanimously agreed on the ordering of their candidate slate as: EarlAW; Party Chairman Sensei; and Gov. HappyWarrior.

----

Willy Woz joins JCP; enters Senate race

Willy Woz has joined the JCP and announced his intention to contest the Senate mid-terms. The JCP have yet to make any pronouncements on the upcoming elections.

----

DoEA: China Panel

Completing the Foreign Policy Review, SoEA Masterjedi has released Part 6 of the Review covering the Asia-Oceania region. Once again the review has drawn public response and questioning.

The SoEA has also announced the creation of a China Panel comprising all members of the Phil Administration and all Senators.

Masterjedi said on opening the panel that “there will not be full restrictions on China, no matter how much we all want it (like Saudi Arabia) but it is not feasable and in Atlasia's best interests.” He also put forward a number of points for discussion, specifically: Human Rights Violations; Working Conditions; Trade; Product Safety; Tibet; Taiwan.

----

MAS appointed CJO

NE Gov. Andrew CT has announced MAS as the new Chief Judicial Officer for the region.

The Governor said that there were “several tremendous candidates” for the position but that MAS was his preferred choice. Responding to the appointment MAS declared that he “looks forward to serving again”.

----

Examiner Polling

This week’s Examiner Poll looks at the approval rating for the Senate’s district Senators.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2008, 11:12:21 AM »

The Examiner Interview
27 March 2008

For today's Examiner Interview, I spoke with Northeast Governor AndrewCT...
(Readers should note that the interview was concluded before the appointment of MAS as Chief Judicial Officer.)

Gubernatorial Plans

Having come through a very close gubernatorial election, our polling indicates that there's a lot of goodwill towards your new administration. What can we expect from the AndrewCT governorship?

Andrew: I have quite a few items that I'm hoping to be proposed in the near future, but one of the largest, and most important items that I'm working on is propsing a new budget for the Northeast.  With this, I will be working with a few former Northeast officials, as well as our Lt. Governor. I'm hoping to have a detailed budget presented by next month.

You've had trouble finding and keeping a Chief Judicial Officer. Has there been any progress in filling the vacancy or is consideration being given to devolve the judicial functions directly to the Supreme Court as in some other regions?

Andrew: Yes, it has been a little difficult searching for the person who would be our next CJO, but I believe that the office of Chief Judicial Officer is an important one here in the Northeast, and I have no intentions of removing the position. We have so many great candidates here in the region, and I look forward to hopefully naming our next CJO shortly. I found the position to be quite an enjoyable one, and is a great way to start in Atlasia politics

MAS

You expressed strong feelings about the Senate AG confirmation hearing for your predecessor MAS. Where do you feel the Senate erred and are you concerned that this occurred in a Senate dominated by your party colleagues in the NLC?

Andrew: I believed that MAS would have made a terrific Attorney General for Atlasia, and I was upset to see him withdraw his name. From my observations with the confirmation process, many our Senators didn't fully give an explanation as to why they decided to vote Nay, or Abstain for his confirmation. It led me to believe that they were voting against him personally, versus his qualifications. I'm not that concerned that this occurred considering the Senate has several members of the NLC. Although I would have liked to see MAS be confirmed, I was glad to see that Senators of the NLC voted their own way, and not just voting party lines.

You recently come out in support of MAS to take the Senate seat vacated by Sen. Jake. Of all the possible NLC members, why do feel MAS should be preferred?

Andrew: Yes, I have come out in support of MAS in his campaign for Senate. I believe that MAS has worked hard for the people of while serving as Chief Judicial Officer, Governor, and would have served us all well as Attorney General. I believe without a doubt that he will be a valuable asset to the Senate if given the opportunity to serve.

We have a lot of great candidates for the Senate right now. Former President Colin Wixted, as well as my other good friend, former Lt. Governor Rockefeller Republican. It's all about choices in this upcoming election, and without a doubt it will be a difficult one.

Veto Power

You made a point of signing the Northeast Region Traffic Camera Limitation Act into law, despite disagreeing with its content. Your predecessor had been criticised for being over-zealous with his use of the veto power. Do you believe the Governor's veto power should be used at all, and if so, in what circumstances?

Andrew: Yes, I wanted to make it known that I did not fully agree with that bill, but I signed it anyways. I believe that the Governor's power of veto should be used, but under the strictest of all circumstances. It's hard to say when exactly I would use it, because it all depends on the situation. There may be a time that it's a very close vote, and I disagree with the bill. Than yes, I may very well veto it if I do not feel it's right for the people of the Northeast. But that's not to say that all close bills will be vetoed. It is all depending on what exactly the situation is, and before I veto it I will speak with the people of the region,  and alert them as to why I've made this decision.

Legacy

Whenever the time comes for you to leave the Governor's office, what do you hope will be the legacy of the AndrewCT administration?

Andrew: You know, that's an excellent question. There is only one thing that I could hope for when leaving this office, and it's that the people supported me, and that I did them right. That I was a Governor who kept his promises, built up activity, and helped keep the region grow and prosper.  I just want to make our citizens proud to live in the Northeast.

----

Any persons interested in being the subject of a future Examiner Interview should contact the editor directly by PM.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2008, 03:05:03 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh really? But...But...

Bitter? Not really; I have so many other options.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2008, 07:07:57 AM »

The Examiner
28 March 2008

Wixted wins NLC vote

The deadline for voting in the NLC to decide who should replace Sen. Jake in the Senate has passed. A late surge in support for South Park Conservative threatened what had seemed a virtual certainty that Colin Wixted would be chosen as the party’s newest Senator. In the end, the unofficial Examiner tally indicates that the Fmr. President has won by a vote of 6-4.

Examiner Tally:
Colin Wixted: 6 (bullmoose; Hashemite; AndrewCT; Peter; MAS; Colin Wixted)
South Park Conservative: 4 (Mr. Moderate; afleitch; Rockefeller Republican; South Park Conservative)   

----

Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill set to fail

Following a very close Senate vote, the Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill, which seeks to legalise a series of currently banned drugs and introduce reforms such as safe injection sites, is on the verge of defeat. With all Senators having voted they are divided 4-5-1 on the matter. Unless the Aye camp gain another vote, the bill will be declared dead in a matter of hours.

Tally:
Aye: 4 (Verily; Friz; Bacon King; Hughento)
Nay: 5 (Jake; CultureKing; Sam Spade; Hashemite; Meekermariner)
Abstain: 1 (Afleitch)

----

Sane Automobile Policy Bill

The Sane Automobile Policy Bill is now at final vote in the Senate. The bill seeks to raise CAFE standards and seeks to reward manufacturers who exceed certain stated targets for fuel consumption. The bill is expected to pass without significant opposition.

----

AG Confirmation Hearing

AG nominee, Peter Bell has recommended that, following the Walsterstein case, a statutory definition for where crimes are committed ought to be introduced and that a clarification on the legal rules regarding moderator actions should be made.

Sen. Hashemite (NLC-D2) has encouraged his fellow Senators to take an active role in the confirmation hearing which has been decidedly quiet compared to the most recent hearings.

----

Examiner Polling: Senatorial Approval

Examiner Polling has revealed a mixed bag for the incumbent Senators facing re-election. Sen. afleitch (NLC-D3) topped the poll every measure with only 1 voter registering disapproval of his job performance. These results must give heart to his chances at re-election. Sen. Bacon King (NLC-D1) also polled very well – coming just behind his D3 colleague on most measurements.

Sen. Hashemite (NLC-D2) was the final Senator to register median approval. Though he also polled well on total approval, his results indicate that he may be a more divisive politician in the public mind as his disapprovals register much higher than either afleitch or Bacon King.

Fmr. Sen. Jake (NLC-D4) registered more neutral responses than anyone else, hampering his overall approval rating. His total disapproval ranks third of the 5 Senators polled and shouldn’t on its own represent a great hindrance to re-election. The main concern in that regard will be his failure to gain many strongly approves – a possible indicator that crucial #1 preferences may be difficult to come by.

Sen. CultureKing (JCP-D5) registered the highest strongly disapprove numbers and the joint highest (with Sen. Hashemite) total disapprove figures. He did though gain a healthy number of strongly approves. It seems reasonable clear that CultureKing was the most divisive Senator polled. The figures indicate that when the election is over, he is likely to be competitive but may be found wanting when votes are being redistributed.

afleitch
Total Approve: 79%
Net Approval: 75%
Median Voter: Approve

Bacon King
Total Approve: 70%
Net Approval: 61%

Hashemite
Total Approve: 65%
Net Approval: 39%

Jake
Total Approve: 43%
Net Approval: 22%
Median Voter: Neither Approve nor Disapprove

CultureKing
Total Approve: 45%
Net Approval: 18%
Median Voter: Neither Approve nor Disapprove
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2008, 12:50:17 PM »

The Examiner Interview
28 March 2008

For today's Examiner Interview, I spoke with South Park Conservative...

Return to Atlasia

You've recently returned from an extended absence. What prompted your return to Atlasia?

SPC: Well, I originally was just coming back to visit, but I just got too hooked, and now I'm back at my regular status. I had spent the last four months reading about libertarian positions, and I has discovered a few flaws in the platform I had taken in previous elections. Namely, many of the proposals I've made during my previous Senate run I would not support now.

In what areas and way have your views changed?

SPC: Well, for example, I no longer favor a warning label for drunk drivers' license plates. I also favor free trade and non-interventionism with the rest of the world, and not an oil tariff. I oppose school vouchers and a national sales tax.

Since returning, you've joined the NLC - yet your positions on the issues may seem to be somewhat at variance with many of your party colleagues. Why did you chose to join the NLC?

SPC: I felt that with the death of my original party, the Life and Liberty Party, I needed a political home. With the NLC's platform of social liberalism and fiscal responsibility, I felt that that was the party that best fit my philosophy. While I realize that my ideology has inherent differences with my colleages, I hope I can form a left-libertarian wing of the party.

The Senate

You've also recently decided to seek a Senate seat on the NLC platform. At this stage, how do you view your prospects?

SPC: It's really too early to tell. Depending on how many people enter the primary, I may have a good chance or I may face very long odds. At this point, Sen. Hashemite and I are the only declared candidates, with Colin considering a run and Sens. Aflietch and Bacon King considering reelection. Since the NLC plans on running only three of four candidates, I would say my odds diminish as more candidates enter the race. If I can win the primary, I odds of winning the actual election would improve as well, given that I could hope that I could get enough votes from both NLC members and some of my former conservative colleages to make it into the top 5.

Should you be elected, what do you hope to achieve as a Senator?

SPC: First, I would propose repealing any legislation passed in the last few Senates that couldn't be provided by the regions. Next, I would oppose most bills that would expand the national government. Last but certainly not least, I would propose certain bills that my constituents would like for me to propose, regardless if I supported them or not.

Could you explain what you mean by "legislation... that couldn't be provided by the regions"? Are there any examples of this to which you are aware?

SPC: Well, to use two examples, nationalized health care and national carbon emmision standards. I believe that any service that the region is capable of providing should not be made by the Atlasian government.

Replacing Jake

You've expressed strong views about the replacement process for the vacancy created by Sen. Jake. What do you believe should have happened in deciding how to find a replacement?

SPC: I believe that the party should have done the same thing as they had done when Mr. Moderate's seat became vacant. They did not look to people in other districts before they selected Hashemite. I believe his seat is no different. I have already stated that I would be willing to caucus with the party on important issues. Why should the party look to the former President to take Jake's seat when there is someone perfectly willing to take it is his own district?

----

Any persons interested in being the subject of a future Examiner Interview should contact the editor directly by PM.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2008, 09:33:42 AM »
« Edited: April 01, 2008, 09:25:57 AM by Jas »

The Examiner
29 March 2008

SPC lashes out at NLC

South Park Conservative has launched a full blooded attack on NLC Chairman Verily and on the newest prospective NLC Senator, Colin Wixted, in an op-ed piece for his publication, The National Weekly Atlasian.

According to SPC, the NLC has been governing “based on personal biases” and has been using double standards in filling Senate vacancies. SPC clearly lays the blame for these double standards at Verily’s feet, saying:

I became the only NLC member who was eligible for the seat. However, due to hypocritical reasons that mysteriously didn't apply to Hashemite's election, Chairman Verily opened up the eligibility for the seat to the entire national party.

However, Fmr. President Wixted is not excluded from the frustration:

Colin never seriously bothered to explain why a non-resident of the district deserved the seat better than a resident of the district, especially considering that the seat ended up in NLC hands through unusual circumstances in the first place.

Given SPC's obvious disatisfaction, he may try and take the opportunity to seek to affect change at the next NLC conference.

----

NLC decide upon mid-term slate

The Examiner’s preliminary count indicates that Sen. afleitch and Fmr. President Colin Wixted are set to lead the official NLC ticket into the mid-term elections. The NLC have stated that an STV count will be used to determine their official candidates and stated listing preferences for the upcoming mid-terms.

After the number 1 and 2 spots, the positions become very tenuous and subject to radical change. The Examiner calculates that Sen. Bacon King is currently in 3rd place thanks to received almost all of the distribution of the surpluses of the first two candidates. His spot on the ballot should be secured if he casts a #1 preference for himself.

Thanks to their own valuable first preferences to themselves, Sen. Hashemite and South Park Conservative currently occupy 4th and 5th spots respectively, though in a very tentative manner. Rockefeller Republican is 6th, though would have jumped at least two spots had be first preferenced himself.

The current state of play is subject to immediate change at any point due to the small number of voters involved, though the primary may serve as a useful primer in STV elections for the party.

----

In Brief

MAS not running
Northeast Chief Judicial Officer, MAS has ruled himself out from seeking a Senate seat in the upcoming mid-terms apparently content with his recently acquired judicial post.

Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill gets late reprieve
A late change of vote by Sen. afleitch from an abstention to Aye tied the Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill last night. Vice President Ebowed was quick to cast an Aye vote on the bill he originally sponsored and has now been on the Senate floor for almost 6 weeks.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2008, 07:20:49 PM »

The Examiner Interview
29 March 2008

For today's Examiner Interview, I spoke with Sen. afleitch (NLC-D3)...

The Senate

You're coming up to the end of your second Senate term, how do you rate your own performance to date?

afleitch: I'm content with my performance in the Senate. Whether I'm content with the Senate's performance is another matter. It's very true that when you enter the Senate you become part of the furniture to some extent. Everything you came in to overthrow or change or gripe about just slips away and you concern yourself with votes, amendments and your own legislation. I'm an old dog; i've held just about every post there is to hold. The Senate is a good place to slow down. I am quietly pleased with the passage of Income Tax Reduction Act. It was the Senate at is very best, I'm proud to have proposed it and it will make a great difference to the lives of our nations low earners.

You've yet to make a definitive public statement about whether or not you will be running in the first PR-STV elections, though it seems to be expected that you will run. Can you confirm whether or not you will be a candidate?

afleitch: I can confirm my name will be on the ballot for the NLC. I will make a formal statement to that effect to the NLC. We have some great talent in our political family and perhaps not enough outlets for that talent at least in the legislature. I will await the outcome of the NLC ballot, for good or for ill, before I can confirm if I will be on the national ballot.

As a potential candidate, what do you feel is your strongest selling point to Atlasia for the April election?

afleitch: Experience and reliabilty. I stay in a job until I believe I cannot do anything further in thet position. But i'm not a roadblock to fresh talent. One of my concerns is that we have a 'revolving door' system of government where the same people hold the same posts, leave and then return again or attempt to make a return. We are all guilty of that, but I would like that to end. If I choose to leave the Senate, I won't come back unless asked to do so.

What would your priotities be should you be returned at the next election?

afleitch: To continue to represent the people and to attend to Senate business. I also have several proposals that I would like to take forward, particularly with regards to welfare reform. Former Senator Dave Hawk implemented a welcome reform package a number of sessions ago. I would like to expand upon that and tailor it to suit the new tax system. I would also like to see participation in Atlasia increase by expanding the Senate to up to 15 members. The new voting system will make expansion easier to implement but as it will require a further amendment it may be difficult to pass.

The NLC

With Jake's resignation, the NLC suddenly find themselves with a Senate majority - something unprecedented in recent times. Do you feel, given this unique opportunity, that the party is doing enough to legislate in acordance with its ideological and policy agenda?

afleitch: No. But I don't consider that to be a bad situation for the NLC to find itself in. Part of the reason why we have grown in number and in influence during recent months is because we do not police each other, nor do we discipline each other for voting differently. People with shared values and beliefs came together to form the NLC and we in turn trust each other to vote in accordance to our individual interpretation of those beliefs without having to stick to a prearranged script. Such scripts have brought great old parties of the past to their knees and to dissolution. We've learned from those mistakes.

The NLC has been in some discussion recently about tactics for the upcoming election. As someone who has more experience with the new electoral system, tactically, how do you feel the party should approach the election?

afleitch: The points I made in my last response are applicable here. This is the first set of elections under the new system. We cannot guess how people will vote, particularly as they are not voting as directly, in terms of specific candidates, as they have done in the past. Ourselves and others may loose some of our 'personal vote' in these elections. We have to sell the NLC not as a faceless party but as a collection of potential servants of the public who have enthusiasm, maturity, experience and innovation to create a balanced Senate. That includes voting for a balanced ticket in the upcoming internal elections. We have to be transparent and open and I think we are achieving that

What do you feel would reflect an acceptable performance for the NLC in the coming election and what do you expect will happen?

afleitch: I don't anticipate that we will hold a majority or a parity in the Senate next time. I hope the electorate becomes a little more wily when it comes to casting their vote even if it hurts us. It makes for exciting politics.

The Executive

You were one of a number of Senators who felt unable to support or oppose MAS's nomination as AG. Why was that and what lessons should be learned from that nomination and hearing?

afleitch: Sometimes you can tell when a Senate doesn't quite like the new man at the Office! At least to begin with. It can make for entertaining confrontations between the Senate and the President but there is a fine line. The conduct of the Senate during the hearing was questionable but the performance by the nominee, under pressure exposed a flaw in his composure and in turn cast doubt on his ability at the very moment he has to assure the Senate he is fit for the job. Hence the reason for my vote.

I have no problems with President; he was my vice president for a short period after the failed confirmation of Mike Naso. Sometimes Presidents can have fun with the Senate too and we should always remember that! I am confident that the Senate and the President will establish an amiable and a effective working relationship.

Your former Vice President now finds himself in the Oval Office. What's your take on his performance in office to date?

afleitch: These are still early days. During confirmation hearings, the President is more forward in his dealings with the Senate. Afterwards we get a clearer picture of the presidents style and whether he is forceful, is emboldened by his constitutional privileges or is conciliatory and quiet. I think the President is performing well and I hope he makes greater use of his time in the Oval Office than I did.

----

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2008, 08:51:14 AM »
« Edited: April 01, 2008, 09:26:20 AM by Jas »

The Examiner
30 March 2008

Something must be done!

Al has made a speech decrying the state of regional politics in Atlasia declaring it is now time to effect some change. Al described Atlasian regional government as “a cross between a sham and a joke”. While accepting that there were variances between regions, he identified the culture of using regional government as a stepping stone for aspiring federal politicians; the “piss-poor” turnout that tends to accompany regional plebiscites; and the failure of regional governments to utilise their significant powers as exhibiting that the “machinery of regional government has been reduced to little more than a pathetic skeleton” and that this has left “a great hole in the centre of our political landscape”.

The speech has been met with a decidedly mixed reaction, most particularly as to how to improve the situation, if indeed, it can be done at all. This editor believes that the central diagnosis of the speech is correct, regional governments are not functioning adequately. In The Examiner’s opinion, the situation can only improve with an increase in regional population. In the absence of an influx of new citizens, it seems to this commentator that a reduction from 5 to 3 regions may be worth considering.

----

NLC vote on mid-term list

Now in the final hours of their vote to decide their official list of candidates for the upcoming mid-term elections, The Examiner’s calculations remain unchanged as to the probable composition of that list.

Senators afleitch and Colin Wixted remain solidly in the number 1 and 2 slots, with aflietch leading due to a healthier return of 2nd preferences. Both should be confident of a successful mid-term election should the NLC members exhibit voting discipline.

Senator Bacon King’s 3rd place position has actually strengthened since yesterday, despite as yet no 1st preference votes nor indeed having yet cast a ballot or participated in the party’s recent discussions at all recently. His position is thanks to benefiting hugely from the transfers of Sens. afleitch and Wixted.

Sen. Hashemite’s security in 4th spot has improved slightly since yesterday, benefiting from transfers much more than current 5th placed South Park Conservative, who holds that spot entirely thanks to his own 1st preference vote.

Rockefeller Republican in 6th place has slightly narrowed the gap to SPC, but at this stage his failure to 1st preference himself seems set to cost him a place on the NLC ticket. Should he be deemed eligible, Fmr. Sen. Jake now occupies 7th place but with a negligible showing.

Turnout for the party vote so far has been 10 of the 21 eligible voters.

----

BrandonH sues DoFA

Fmr. Senator BrandonH has sued the Department of Forum Affairs over the handling of the vacancy arising from the resignation of Fmr. Sen. Jake. Brandon is challenging the decision to by the SoFA to fill the vacancy in accordance with the terms of the Proportional Representation Act rather than by special election. Mr. Moderate, the SoFA, has promised to “vigourously defend” his decision.

----

Wixted re-joins Senate

Colin Wixted has been officially named as the NLC’s choice to fill the vacancy created by Sen. Jake’s recent resignation and has sworn-in as the newest member of the Senate.

Wixted defends Verily
Sen. Colin Wixted has issued a strong defence of the party decision to change tack on deciding how to fill the vacancy caused by Sen. Jake’s departure and on the reasons why he was chosen by a majority of the party over SPC including ideology; party loyalty and length of membership. Following the remarks, SPC retracted his criticism of Sen. Wixted and wished him the best of luck in the Senate

----

In Brief

Peter Bell Confirmed
Peter Bell has received the majority support of the Senate without any votes against.

National Policy Standardisation Amendment
The National Policy Standardisation Amendment is edging closer to being presented to the regions. The Constitutional Amendment required 7 Aye votes in the Senate to pass. The measure would allow the Senate to force measures onto regional legislative agendas.

Tally:
Aye: 5 (CultrueKing; Hashemite; afleitch; Bacon King; Colin Wixted)
Nay: 2 (hughento; Sam Spade)
Yet to vote: 3 (friz; meekermariner; Verily)

Mideast Polling
Mideast Lt. Gov. Ben Constine has opened a second poll on the ongoing gubernatorial race between himself and Fmr. Governor Inks.LWC which reveals that little or nothing has changed in public opinion on the election. The incoming data reveals that the race remains too close to call. In the absence of much in the way of a campaign by either candidate this may not be very surprising. Given that, should the candidates agree, The Examiner is willing to offer it’s services in moderating a debate.

And finally…
Lewis Trondheim has joined the JCPUndecided
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2008, 10:47:11 AM »

Tally:
Yet to vote: 3 (friz; Sensei; Verily)

Meekermariner, not Sensei.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2008, 01:35:47 PM »

Tally:
Yet to vote: 3 (friz; Sensei; Verily)

Meekermariner, not Sensei.

Corrected. Thanks.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2008, 04:57:50 AM »

The Examiner
29 March 2008

“Unity” Administration strikes again

In his first engagement with the legislative process, since becoming President 25 days ago, Keystone Phil has decided to veto the Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill. The President decided to offer no explanation of his action.

The move by the President represents another overruling of the Vice President. Ebowed had cast a tie braking vote in favour of the bill which himself had largely authored. The President who presented his ticket as one which represented an new dawn in political unity has yet to display any movement on any issue which could be demonstrated as underlining his message of unity.

Sen. afleitch has called for a veto override vote to be brought.

----

Constitutional Amendment passes the Senate

The National Policy Standardization Amendment has passed the Senate having received the necessary 7 votes in favour. The amendment will therefore be sent to the regions for ratification shortly.

Tally on Final Passage:
Aye: 7 (CultureKing; Hashemite; Afleitch; Bacon King; Colin Wixted; Verily; meekermariner)
Nay: 2 (Hughento; Sam Spade)
No vote cast: 1 (Friz)

----

NLC Primary Ends

According to The Examiner’s preliminary count, the late vote of AndrewCT has caused a significant shift in the result of the NLC primary. By our calculations the final result shall be declared as follows:
#1 Sen. afleitch
#2 Sen. Wixted
#3 Sen. Bacon King
#4 Fmr. Lt. Gov. Rockefeller Republican
#5 Sen. Hashemite

The late first preference vote by Gov. AndrewCT was enough to see Rockefeller Republican from 6th to 4th and cost South Park Conservative a place on the official NLC ticket.

----

In Brief

TCash calls Governor’s Meeting
Southeastern Governor TCash wants Atlasia’s Governors to come together to discuss the direction of the regions within Atlasia. It is yet to be seen what degree of enthusiasm his fellow Governors shall approach the conference with.

Xahar wants #4 spot
PLP Vice Chair, Xahar has sought the PLP’s permission to extend their ballot to 4 spots so that he may also be on the official slate. Initial party reactions seems to be in favour of the application.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2008, 01:06:09 PM »

Now hold on... I'm not the biggest fan of Phil politically and disapproved of his actions during the Trondheim Affair. But how is vetoing something going against a unity pledge? If he disagrees with a bill, he should veto it. It's his job. There's a significant difference between being friendly and working together with rivals in the Senate and getting on your knees any time they want something.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »

Now hold on... I'm not the biggest fan of Phil politically and disapproved of his actions during the Trondheim Affair. But how is vetoing something going against a unity pledge? If he disagrees with a bill, he should veto it. It's his job. There's a significant difference between being friendly and working together with rivals in the Senate and getting on your knees any time they want something.

So much unity too when the Senate didn't pass it by itself. Roll Eyes
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2008, 02:39:31 PM »

Hard to be a unifier when the Senate splits 50/50 on something you oppose.

Honestly, the bill in question effectively decriminalized every drug under the sun, many of which have extensive ties to organized crime / gang activity.  Had I been in the Senate I would have voted against, and personally think the President made the right call on this one.

I'm not sure there's a way to find any common ground between Keystone Phil and the Senate on this one, considering the President's past votes on drug-related issues.

And while the Senate is free to try and override the veto, it should be clear that the votes are not there for the bill in the current form.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2008, 05:24:43 PM »

LOL

Carry on, my friend. Jas is simply solidifying his status as a comedy routine.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »

Honestly, the bill in question effectively decriminalized every drug under the sun, many of which have extensive ties to organized crime / gang activity.

Argh!!  Drug prohibition advocates make my head explode.

Yes, some drugs (cocaine and heroin mostly) have ties to gangs and organized crime- this is why they should be legalized, so the market provides these drugs to users who will both no longer have to rely on these gangs and crime movements as well as being safer because they will not have to worry about the purity of their product.  Meaning drug legalization reduces crime and saves lives.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #167 on: April 01, 2008, 04:39:34 AM »

He can veto whatever he wants (and I expect he will).

However, the veto represents the second time in a week in which the Vice President has been either ignored or overruled by the President.

Phil presented the Phil/Ebowed ticket as a new dawn for policital unity and the setting aside of partisan politics in favour of "unity " and a return to the "glory days".

The fact that he overruled the Senate isn't pertinant, the fact that he overruled his administration colleague, again, and that this would seem to run contrary to his campaign pledge, is relevant.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2008, 08:04:12 AM »

LOL

Nice to know you're still keeping up to date with Atlasia's events through the paper - otherwise it would have been tough to guess whether you were involving yourself in anything at all.

As for which of us is a 'joke'...

6 weeks after election:
Total policies proposed: 0
Total bills proposed: 0
Total resolutions proposed: 0
Total Constitutional Amendments proposed: 0
Total contributions to Senate legislative debates: 0

Is this the path to "glory days" again - or will that require another term in office?

Of course, as always, you're welcome to point out any inaccuracies you may find in the paper.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2008, 08:06:50 AM »

LOL

Nice to know you're still keeping up to date with Atlasia's events through the paper - otherwise it would have been tough to guess whether you were involving yourself in anything at all.

6 weeks after election:

Is this the path to "glory days" again - or will that require another term in office?

Of course, as always, you're welcome to point out any inaccuracies you may find in the paper.
Come now Jas, we all know that it doesnt take creating good ideas to be a good president, it takes destroying the good ideas of others while shouting 'glory days' at the top of your lungs.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2008, 09:25:28 AM »

The Examiner
1 April 2008

Court agrees to hear BrandonH’s case

Chief Justice bullmoose has agreed to hear BrandonH’s challenge to the manner in which SoFA Moderate moved to fill the vacancy arising from the resignation of Sen. Jake. A filing deadline of next Monday has been set for the plaintiff’s case.

As the SoFA has pointed out, the case potentially affects the seats of 3 Atlasian Senators – Sen. Wixted; Sen. Hashemite and Sen. CultureKing, all of whom have benefited from the SoFA’s application of the Proportional Representation Act.

----

Abolition of the Penny Bill on verge of failure

The Abolition of the Penny Act is now set to fail in the Senate. Only 2 Senators of the 8 who have voted so far, have offered their support to the legislation sponsored by Sen. Verily.

Tally:
Aye: 2 (Verily; hughento)
Nay: 5 (meekermariner; Hashemite; afleitch; Sam Spade; CultureKing)
Abstain: 1 (Colin Wixted)

----

In Brief

King of Bench Press to run for Senate
Atlasian newbie, KingofBenchPress has announced his intention to seek a Senate seat in the upcoming mid-terms. He had initially considered a Presidential run.

New Northeastern laws clear final stage
Northeastern Governor AndrewCT has signed the Predatory Lending Prohibition Act and the Northeast Evidence Act into regional law.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »

The Examiner Interview
1 April 2008

For today's Examiner Interview, I spoke with Sen. hughento (NLC-MW)...

The NLC

The NLC finds itself at present with a Senate majority. Is the party doing enough to legislate its common causes?

hugh: Considering we are still working through the backlog of the previous senate, that's a difficult question to answer. It's especially dfifficult to answer when we are a diverse party made of members from throughout the republic. We do share some common beliefs, however, and the people who have elected NLC senators have elected the best senators we have, of that there is no question.

As a NLC Senator, what do you view as an acceptable result for the party in the upcoming mid-terms?

hugh: A plurality is acceptable, a majority desired. Certainly we'd want to win at least two seats in the upcoming elections.

You didn't vote in the recent NLC poll on whether to replace Sen. Jake with Colin Wixted or South Park Conservative. What are your views on the matters raised by this replacement?

hugh: I felt conflicted; on the one hand Colin was an eminently qualified candidate for the position, but unlike South Park Conservative, he isn't from the district. Whilst districts are soon to be phased out, I think it is abhorrent that someone could represent a district without being able to vote in that districts elections or truly represent the people of the district's interests, if they are not shared. However, with the upcoming end of districts, it isn't an issue of high concern, and I also look forward to working with Colin in the senate.

Senate Work

During your campaign you made stirring speeches and spoke plans to create new policies in a number of areas including environmentalism; poverty; tax reform; indigenous community rights; and employee rights. How likely do you believe it is that you will succeed in bringing reform on these matters?

hugh: Over the course of time, i intend to be fully sucessful. It might take a while, but with the support of my party and the people of the Midwest and Atlasia, I think it's possible.

On one of your campaign stops, you said “I will not vote to approve a SEA who doesn't recognise the importance of Atlasian leadership in developing a strong and meaningful post-Kyoto framework.” You approved the nomination of Masterjedi, though no questions were put to him on environmental policy. Do you believe that this SoEA will take the lead on the international stage on environmental issues?

hugh: From what I know of MasterJedi, he very much feels that Atlasia has a leading role to play on the world stage. With him as SoEA, we can be assured that Atlasia will be at the forefront of discussions regarding the future of international environmental expectations and frameworks. Unfortunately, the President would not support strong and meaningful post-Kyoto targets, but at least with masterJedi as the SoEA we'll be involved. It's a lesser evil argument.

Regional Politics

Al has brought up the topic of the state of regional politics in Atlasia onto the agenda. What are your thoughts on this matter and what, if anything, should be done to try and improve matters?

hugh: The regions are the core components of the republic. Each region is different and as such there is no universal solution, but it would be nice if regional senators became more relevant to their regions. That is what I aim to do.

In what ways do you think that regional Senators can become "more relevant to their regions"?

hugh: By representing regional interests, not just personal or party interests, in the senate. Of course, personal and party interests are important, but as regional senators our first resonsibility is to represent the best interests of our regin, and Atlasia as a whole. That's one of the key reasosn why I have been pedantic about not voting in favour of bad lgislation, like the Alignment With Territory Policy Act, which has no clause for detemining how a bill is determined to be reffered to the regions, or the Sane Automobile Policy Act, which seems to create numbers out of thin air, and could seriously damage the economy of my region, or on the other extreme, which aren't doing enough to protect the region's and the nation's natural gifts.

The President

President Phil has made accusations that attempts were made to shut him out of the Presidential debate which you moderated. He indicated that you were the source of this idea. Can you offer a clarification as to what (if any) attempts, to which you are aware, were made to "shut [Phil] out of the debate" and who (if anyone) cited him as a "non-factor"?

hugh: All I can say is that arguments to exclude Phil were presented to me, I informed Phil of them in a confidential spirit, and he went and spilled the beans. I believed that the people of Atlasia had a right to hear his views in the debate, which is why I informed him of the attempt. I am frustrated that Phil has violated my trust, despite numerous requests for him not to do so. The term 'non-factor' was not used, if I recall correctly. I will not give any further details unless I am required to do so, as I prefer not to violate other people's trust. If I have already done so, I apologise to the individual(s) involved.

Does President Phil know who presented those arguments?

hugh: No, although he seems to be fixated on one of his opponents.

----

With thanks to hughento for the interview Smiley

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2008, 04:28:20 PM »

LOL

6 weeks after election:

Come now Jas, we all know that it doesnt take creating good ideas to be a good president, it takes destroying the good ideas of others while shouting 'glory days' at the top of your lungs.

Oh, my favorite little pal is back. How are you, my friend? Are you finished looking for sympathy for your personal problems and healthy enough to start bomb throwing again?

He can veto whatever he wants (and I expect he will).

However, the veto represents the second time in a week in which the Vice President has been either ignored or overruled by the President.

Phil presented the Phil/Ebowed ticket as a new dawn for policital unity and the setting aside of partisan politics in favour of "unity " and a return to the "glory days".

The fact that he overruled the Senate isn't pertinant, the fact that he overruled his administration colleague, again, and that this would seem to run contrary to his campaign pledge, is relevant.

So wait...because I disagreed with my Vice President, I am not for unity? My Vice President has his views and I have mine. Just because I overruled his decision doesn't mean this administration isn't unified. Why don't you ask my Vice President about how he feels instead of your usual nonsense.

The President

President Phil has made accusations that attempts were made to shut him out of the Presidential debate which you moderated. He indicated that you were the source of this idea. Can you offer a clarification as to what (if any) attempts, to which you are aware, were made to "shut [Phil] out of the debate" and who (if anyone) cited him as a "non-factor"?

hugh: All I can say is that arguments to exclude Phil were presented to me, I informed Phil of them in a confidential spirit, and he went and spilled the beans. I believed that the people of Atlasia had a right to hear his views in the debate, which is why I informed him of the attempt. I am frustrated that Phil has violated my trust, despite numerous requests for him not to do so. The term 'non-factor' was not used, if I recall correctly. I will not give any further details unless I am required to do so, as I prefer not to violate other people's trust. If I have already done so, I apologise to the individual(s) involved.

Does President Phil know who presented those arguments?

hugh: No, although he seems to be fixated on one of his opponents.

I'm not "fixated" on either, Hugh. I am more pissed off that one of three people are lying about the situation and lack the backbone to come forward about it.

As for the term "non factor," those exact words might not have been used but I was definitley referred to as simply a "spoiler."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #173 on: April 01, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »

For the record, Jas has no problem saying I have contributed nothing to Senate legislative debates yet refuses to acknowledge my extensive involvement in the confirmation hearings for my very active Cabinet. To suggest that I have pretty much ignored the actions of the Senate is laughable.

Also, there haven't been any policies, bills or resolutions proposed yet but that is not to say that I haven't been involved in crafting an agenda with my Cabinet and on my own. A little patience and less desire to simply attack me can go a long way.

I also want to bring to the attention of the esteemed editor the amount of times he has offered to work with me and change the tone here: 0

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2008, 08:44:59 AM »

So wait...because I disagreed with my Vice President, I am not for unity?

During the campaign you presented the Phil/Ebowed ticket as one committed to uniting Atlasia, yet you clearly are at odds over a series of policies, most recently evident viz a viz foreign policy and drugs policy. On what issues of relevance is the administration "united" and in what ways are you working to unite the country?

My Vice President has his views and I have mine. Just because I overruled his decision doesn't mean this administration isn't unified. Why don't you ask my Vice President about how he feels instead of your usual nonsense.

I don't need to ask the Vice President his views, he has made them perfectly clear.

Relating to the Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill, he said, in this very thread,
"Argh!!  Drug prohibition advocates make my head explode."

He also made his views on the announced Cuban policy publicly known here, again plainly expressing disagreement with administration policy and was informed that the policy wouldn't be changed unless you ordered same - something you haven't done.

I haven't approached any member of your administartion seeking any information since you informed me that your administration would not co-operate with me. Has that embargo now been lifted?

For the record, Jas has no problem saying I have contributed nothing to Senate legislative debates yet refuses to acknowledge my extensive involvement in the confirmation hearings for my very active Cabinet. To suggest that I have pretty much ignored the actions of the Senate is laughable.

Your "extensive" involvement in the confirmation hearings for the cabinet nominees?
You had no involvement in the confirmation hearings of either Masterjedi or Peter Bell; you only became involved in the MAS hearing late in the hearing, after public commentary questioning his qualifications and only then to state that you felt the nominee was qualified (though you offered no supporting evidence). The only hearing you had "extensive" involvement in was Moderate's and even then it involved a lot of character assaults on dissenting voices.

And you clearly have ignored the actions of the Senate, otherwise why did the Amendment to the National Energy Act sit on your desk untouched for over a week thus passing by default?
And why have you made no comments on any legislative debate in the 6 weeks since your election?

If that isn't ignoring the Senate's legislative agenda, what on earth would constitute such ignorance?

Also, there haven't been any policies, bills or resolutions proposed yet but that is not to say that I haven't been involved in crafting an agenda with my Cabinet and on my own. A little patience and less desire to simply attack me can go a long way.

A little patience? The mid-term elections are almost upon us and you have yet to present any policies or any agenda. When has any President in Atlasian history waited 6 weeks before announcing any policy?

When can we expect you to produce an agenda?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies