The National Weekly Atlasian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:24:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The National Weekly Atlasian
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 69
Author Topic: The National Weekly Atlasian  (Read 172716 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: March 21, 2008, 06:07:34 PM »

Exclusive Interview with Lt. Gov. Ben Constine
by South Park Conservative

21 March 2008 - Yesterday, I sat down with Lt. Gov. and Gubernatorial candidate Ben Constine for an interview. Here is the transcript:

SPC: Why are you running for Governor of the Mideast?

BC: I am running for Governor of the Mideast because I want to continue the wonderful work of my predecessor, HappyWarrior, and to continue to run a progressive government in College Park.

SPC: If elected, [how] would you work to reduce the size of government for Mideastern citizens?

BC: I currently have no plans to reduce the size of the government in the Mideast, although I am open to merging departments, so long as it would not adversley affect the citizens of the Mideast.

SPC: There was recently a controversy between the Pacific and Midwest governorships over the democracy of their regions. If elected, how democraticly would you run the Mideast? How would you deal with less democratic regions?

BC: I would run a very democratic government in the Mideast, with a large amount of input from the citizens.  I would apply pressure on the leaders of the less democratic regions to open up, although, ultimately, I have no control over them.

SPC: Not to encourage mudsliging over here, but why do you think that the Mideast should vote for you over Former Governor Inks?

BC: I have the utmost respect for my opponent, who has served the Mideast with great pride and honor.  I am running against him because I feel that I represent the views of the Mideast better than he does.  The voters of the Mideast chose me over Inks for the post of Lt. Governor just two months ago, and I feel that they should choose me again.

SPC: Thank you for taking the time to do this interview with me.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2008, 05:59:48 PM »

NLC Ignores Past Precedent, Part I

28 March 2008 - With last night's party convention leading to a 6-4 victory for former President Wixted over yours truly, it seems that a majority of the National Liberal Coalition would rather govern based on their personal biases rather than the rules they have used for the prior election a mere few weeks earlier. Earlier this month, Mr. Moderate's Senate seat became vacant when he was appointed to the SoFA. Since the federal election of senators technically doesn't take place until April, Chairman Verily decided to only open the sesat up to people in District 2. Consequently, Hashemite, as the only District 2 resident willing to take the seat, assumed Mr. Moderate's place in the Senate. The irony here is that this is the very same Hashemite who later in the month would vote to appoint a non-resident to the District 4 seat when there was a District 4 resident perfectly willing to take the seat.
   The situation I speak of was when Sen. Jake switched parties to the National Liberal Coalition, resigned, and declared his candidacy for the Senate. As a consequent, I became the only NLC member who was eligible for the seat. However, due to hypocritical reasons that mysteriously didn't apply to Hashemite's election, Chairman Verily opened up the eligibility for the seat to the entire national party. Later, the popular former President Colin Wixted declared his candidacy for the seat. In the thread in which the NLC held its convention for the seat, most NLCers immediately endorsed Colin for the seat. It is a miracle that I only lost the seat by two votes (and I sincerely thank SoFA Mr. Moderate, Senator Afleitch, and Fmr. Lt. Gov. Rockefeller Republican for upholding the rules over ideology, and exclude them from my frustration with the rest of the party). Colin never seriously bothered to explain why a non-resident of the district deserved the seat better than a resident of the district, especially considering that the seat ended up in NLC hands through unusual circumstances in the first place. To be continued, with links.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #202 on: March 28, 2008, 06:08:31 PM »

(Continued)

To end my article, I have provided quotes from Chairman Verily outlining the above:
Although the vacancy is only for the District 2 seat, and thus can only be filled by a member resident in District 2

However, I do feel it appropriate that we revise the original decision and open nominations to all NLC members, not because I do not believe that SPC would make a good Senator, but because the reality is that this position will represent all of Atlasia in a few short months anyway, and I think it likely that an incumbent NLC Senator would be given favor in our primary ballot, which makes it all too appropriate that all potential candidates be able to enter.

Notice that in the course of less than a week, it has gone to having only members of the district being eligible for obvious reasons, to having members of the entire party being eligible to cope with the reality of the decision affecting all of Atlasia in a few months. Apparently Verily fails to realize that this seat's term expires when the change takes place. Also, he seems to point out the incumbent advantage in my case, but not in Hashemite's case, despite the short time difference.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2008, 10:21:15 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2008, 10:22:59 AM by Коля Иванович Викстед »

I never seriously stated why a member who is not from District 4 should be chosen for two fold reasons. The first is that I disagreed with the party's position on the issue from the get go, we should have had a national primary for both vacancies. The second point is that Senator and Party Chairman Verily had already opened it up to competition from a nationwide perspective due to lack of competition for the seat among residents of District 4, where only you and Senator Hugh are members of the NLC. Unlike in District 2 where there were a diverse array of possibilities for the nomination, including a rather heated campaign between Rockefeller Republican and Hashemite. In the interest of promoting intra-party competition and activity, as well as to allow the party a choice in who should represent the NLC in the Senate, Verily opened it up to nationwide competition.

As for why many in the NLC voted for me over you. First off, ideology. The NLC is based off of a centrist ideology and a coalition of moderate social liberal and moderate economic liberals. Many remember you, from your time here at least, as being a very libertarian fellow with some radical ideas that may have turned off members of the party. The second is legacy, you have only been with the party for a week, week and a half, whereas I was one of the first people to join the NLC and one of the first major elected officials to openly support and be a member of the NLC.

Overall bad mouthing the party leadership and creating conspiracy theories for your own demise aren't going to help you gain any favour within the NLC or within any political party apparatus in Atlasia.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »

I never seriously stated why a member who is not from District 4 should be chosen for two fold reasons. The first is that I disagreed with the party's position on the issue from the get go, we should have had a national primary for both vacancies. The second point is that Senator and Party Chairman Verily had already opened it up to competition from a nationwide perspective due to lack of competition for the seat among residents of District 4, where only you and Senator Hugh are members of the NLC. Unlike in District 2 where there were a diverse array of possibilities for the nomination, including a rather heated campaign between Rockefeller Republican and Hashemite. In the interest of promoting intra-party competition and activity, as well as to allow the party a choice in who should represent the NLC in the Senate, Verily opened it up to nationwide competition.

As for why many in the NLC voted for me over you. First off, ideology. The NLC is based off of a centrist ideology and a coalition of moderate social liberal and moderate economic liberals. Many remember you, from your time here at least, as being a very libertarian fellow with some radical ideas that may have turned off members of the party. The second is legacy, you have only been with the party for a week, week and a half, whereas I was one of the first people to join the NLC and one of the first major elected officials to openly support and be a member of the NLC.

Overall bad mouthing the party leadership and creating conspiracy theories for your own demise aren't going to help you gain any favour within the NLC or within any political party apparatus in Atlasia.

Due to Senator Wixted's statement above, I retract my previous statements against him and wish him good luck in the Senate.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »

Colin favored in Special Election

10 April 2008 - The National Weekly Atlasian's internal polling suggests that Former President Colin Wixted is favored to win this weekend's special election. In a matchup between him, Xahar, and Former Lt. Governor South Park Conservative, Colin beats both his opponents 63%-18%-18%. However, Former Senator Lewis Trondheim's entry into the race may change the dynamics.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #206 on: July 04, 2008, 08:49:26 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2008, 11:47:57 PM by South Park Conservative »

I am restarting the National Weekly Atlasian as a senatorial scorecard for pro-liberty votes in the 26th Senate. I will update this later.

Colin Wixted (NLC-PA)   
Rocky Republican (NLC-ME)     
Afleitch (NLC-WI)   
Culture King (JCP-WA)   
EarlAW (AUB-NY) 
Verily (NLC-NH)             
MeekerMariner (AUB-VA) 
Downwithdaleft (AUB-AL)
Lewis Trondheim (Misc-ND)   
Torie (i-CA)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #207 on: November 30, 2008, 01:38:07 PM »

The National Weekly Atlasian is back in business, with new co-editor Xahar.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2008, 01:54:04 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2008, 11:46:58 PM by South Park Conservative »

December Elections Watcher

Here, we will be keeping track of candidates who have declared their candidacy in the midterm elections:

Senate
Senator DWTL*
Senator Al*
Senator BaconKing*
Governor Lief
Fmr. Lt. Gov. SPC (write-in)

Assemblyman Franzl (write-in)
Attorney General Xahar
GPorter (write-in)

Southeast
Governor
Governor Duke*

Lt. Governor
Lt. Governor Dan Adams*

Pacific
Governor
Governor CultureKing*
MaxQue

Lt. Governor
Former Gov. Alcon (write-in)
Morakai Blue
Random Troll

*Incumbent
Won/Projected to Win
Defeated
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2008, 02:05:12 PM »

The Northeast doesn't hold elections in December.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #210 on: November 30, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2008, 07:29:12 PM by South Park Conservative »

Please remember to participate in the National Weekly Atlasian's senatorial approval poll this week. We will publish the results next week.

Also, please remember to participate in the National Weekly Atlasian's War on Mexico opinion poll this week. Those results will also be published next week.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #211 on: December 01, 2008, 07:46:03 PM »

Predictions

Since it is the first of the month, the National Weekly Atlasian will be adding a new feature. Our contributors and any readers will be allowed to submit predictions for what will happen this month. The winner of the contest will be the contributor/reader who is right, but selects the prediction that is deemed to be most difficult by our staff. Here are mine:

*Ogre Mage will be selected as next Pacific Lieutenant Governor
*DWTL, Bacon King, Sensei, and Al are re-elected to the Senate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2008, 10:29:10 AM »

I predict that myself and BaconKing will be re-elected, that Al will be re-elected if he is the only SDP candidate, and the only one of Sensei and Jas will be re-elected
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2008, 11:48:02 PM »

Opinion: Jas will Run for President in February

This pundit thinks that Senator Jas, by highlighting his Senate accomplishments and retirinf from the Senate, is planning a run for president in February. We will see if these rumors are true in the coming weeks.

(Note that the preceding opinion is speculation only)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #214 on: December 04, 2008, 07:06:42 PM »

Lief Enters Senate Race

In the December Senate elections, Governor Lief, who was narrowly defeated in a special election to replace CultureKing, has declared his candidacy for Senate. Given his narrow loss, he could have a good chance at winning a Senate seat. In other elections-related news, this author personally knows of another SDP candidate who is considering a senate run. However, due to confidentiality reasons, they shall remain anonymous until I am told otherwise.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #215 on: December 04, 2008, 08:16:35 PM »

Lief Enters Senate Race

In the December Senate elections, Governor Lief, who was narrowly defeated in a special election to replace CultureKing, has declared his candidacy for Senate. Given his narrow loss, he could have a good chance at winning a Senate seat. In other elections-related news, this author personally knows of another SDP candidate who is considering a senate run. However, due to confidentiality reasons, they shall remain anonymous until I am told otherwise.
Yes, Al is running Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #216 on: December 04, 2008, 08:44:09 PM »

Oh man, I've never been the subject of a news article before. Neat.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #217 on: December 04, 2008, 09:37:18 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2008, 11:41:12 PM by South Park Conservative »

Benconstine Center of Controversy

After I posted that information a few hours ago of a prominent SDPer waiting to enter the Senate race, I received a PM from "Ben Constine" asking who the SDPer was. Trusting his confidentiality I replied back to him who it was. Two minutes later, NWA co-editor Xahar asked me the same question, and I replied back. Four minutes later, I received a PM from Constine claiming that he never sent me a PM. I initially suspected Xahar of hacking Constine's account, but for now I have given him the benefit of the doubt. If anyone knows anything about this, please contact me.

UPDATE: Benconstine sent me a private message claiming he was just stirring things up. However, he sent me a PM later claiming that that was someone else. As this point, I'm inclined to agree with the former viewpoint.

UPDATE #2: The National Weekly Atlasian would like to formally apologize to Benconstine for any implication of falsely reporting a hacking into his account. We at the National Weekly Atlasian are now inclined to agree that Ben's account was hacked, and will not take kindly to whoever hacked it.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #218 on: December 04, 2008, 10:57:41 PM »

well, that's just silly.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #219 on: December 05, 2008, 12:11:31 AM »

Benconstine Center of Controversy

After I posted that information a few hours ago of a prominent SDPer waiting to enter the Senate race, I received a PM from "Ben Constine" asking who the SDPer was. Trusting his confidentiality I replied back to him who it was. Two minutes later, NWA co-editor Xahar asked me the same question, and I replied back. Four minutes later, I received a PM from Constine claiming that he never sent me a PM. I initially suspected Xahar of hacking Constine's account, but for now I have given him the benefit of the doubt. If anyone knows anything about this, please contact me.

UPDATE: Benconstine sent me a private message claiming he was just stirring things up. However, he sent me a PM later claiming that that was someone else. As this point, I'm inclined to agree with the former viewpoint.

Benconstine is doing a Robin Hayes.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2008, 07:05:04 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2008, 07:12:26 PM by South Park Conservative »

SDP has many candidates for office in December

In the last few days, several SDP candidates have declared their candidacies for office in the December elections. As I covered earlier, Gov. Lief is running for Senate, in addition to Xahar and another potential candidate who I also mentioned earlier. In the Pacific, MaxQue has declared his candidacy for Governor against CultureKing, and Morakai Blue has declared his candidacy for the vacant Lt. Governorship. I don't expect much success for MaxQue in the heavily JCP Pacific, but due to the lack of a Lt. Governor, Morakai Blue could pull an upset with a lack of likely JCP candidates. In the Senate, seeing as there is one vacancy, I would expect the more popular Lief to win, although Xahar or the other potential candidate could win Sensei's seat if voter's are tired of his relative inactivity.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2008, 07:08:19 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2008, 07:18:24 PM by The Prince Was Never Raised For Sincerity »

There's an a in my name, not two o's. Tongue

Marokai Blue Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2008, 07:28:52 PM »

I found SPC's error rather unfortunate. Morokai sounds too much like Molokai.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #223 on: December 07, 2008, 07:37:41 PM »

Handicap of December's elections
by Xahar

This month, there are regional elections in the Southeast and Pacific, along with nationwide Senatorial elections. The Southeastern elections have not been at all discussed, and the assumption of the writer is that Gov. AHDuke99 and Lt. Gov. Daniel Adams will be reelected without opposition. In the Pacific, MaxQue and Marokai Blue are running as an SDP ticket. The Pacific has been a JCP stronghold for years, but its hold is weakening, and MaxQue could be elected with a good GOTV effort. Marokai Blue should face no opposition for Lieutenant Governor.

In the Senate, all incumbents should retain their seats. As Senator Jas is not seeking reelection, this leaves one slot, to be filled by either Lief or Xahar, both of the SDP. Intraparty dynamics are strange (to say the least), and this election's outcome will not be seen until election weekend.

Recap:

Southeast:
Governor: AHDuke99 (RPP hold)
Lieutenant Governor: Daniel Adams (RPP hold)

Pacific:
Governor: MaxQue (SDP gain from JCP)
Lieutenant Governor: Marokai Blue (SDP gain from vacancy)

Senate:

Al (SDP hold)
Bacon King (JCP hold)
DWDL (RPP hold)
Lief or Xahar (SDP gain from HTUPHWEP)
Sensei (HTUPHWEP hold)

SDP: 2 (+1)
HTUPHWEP: 1 (-1)
JCP: 1 (-)
RPP: 1 (-)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #224 on: December 07, 2008, 09:41:06 PM »

Wait, only 6 candidates are running? That kind of sucks...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 69  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies