Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:07:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 307184 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: July 29, 2006, 03:19:34 PM »

Wouldn't it be simpler simply to have one large bill entitled the 'Sub-Sahara African Free Trade Agreement', and have a list of all the countries in this region with which we wish to have free trade?  Tongue

Not really because the Senate might want to have the trade with some but not the others and it gives each bill debate by itself. (Though I hope they all pass anyway) Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #326 on: July 29, 2006, 05:30:54 PM »

If a Senator opposes free trade with any of those countries, he could propose an amendment to remove it from the hypothetical "Sub-Saharan Africa Free Trade Bill".
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #327 on: July 30, 2006, 07:49:00 AM »

If a Senator opposes free trade with any of those countries, he could propose an amendment to remove it from the hypothetical "Sub-Saharan Africa Free Trade Bill".
^^^^^^^^

Has anyone had any contact with Vice President Q?
He appears to have been absent for almost 2 weeks.
Does anyone know if he's on official leave of absence or if somethings happened?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #328 on: July 30, 2006, 07:54:37 AM »

Has anyone had any contact with Vice President Q?
He appears to have been absent for almost 2 weeks.
Does anyone know if he's on official leave of absence or if somethings happened?

He's just left, he's been gone and nobody has seen him (at least I think nobody has heard from him).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #329 on: August 02, 2006, 08:10:16 PM »

I wish to point out to the Senate, my stated opinions on the Amtrak Privatization Bill and the Whaling Bill in my campaign thread.

In addition to my objections to the Whaling Bill, stated there, I have another.  Section 1 of the bill is unconstitutional.  The Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission is a private organization, not a government entity, so it can't be abolished by the government.  The AEWC does have authority to manage the taking of whales by Alaska natives has been delegated to by the Department of Commerce in accordance with existing law, so if you want to end that delegation, that would be constitutional, but simply banning the AEWC is not.

Also, as it stands now, the self-defense and Good-Samaritan exemptions for killing a whale that is attacking someone would be lost.  If you must pass a bill that ends the exeption for coastal subsistence whaling by Alaskan natives, a narrower bill that addresses that by repealing subsection (b) of section 103 of Pub. L. 92-522 [16 U.S.C. 1371(b)] would do so in a much more acceptable manner.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #330 on: August 11, 2006, 06:36:58 PM »

Atlasian-China Free Trade Bill

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and China.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this bill.

LOL!!  I love it.  There is nothing you could put on this to make it remotely acceptable.  I say this fails 1-9.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #331 on: August 11, 2006, 07:46:13 PM »

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and China.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this bill.

LOL!!  I love it.  There is nothing you could put on this to make it remotely acceptable.  I say this fails 1-9.

Do we actually have any tariffs on Chinese imports? I'm well aware they have them on ours Sad

'Hawk'
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #332 on: August 11, 2006, 09:08:39 PM »

I can think of one, amend "China" to "Republic of China". Grin
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #333 on: August 12, 2006, 07:40:18 AM »

I can think of one, amend "China" to "Republic of China". Grin

You've just beat me to it Grin. Yes, I'm considering that as an amendment. I have no objection to free trade with the Republic of China, especially now that it's a fully fledged democracy having cast aside the autocracy of Chiang Kai-shek and his acolytes

Furthermore, it has favorable socio-economic conditions and in the sphere of human rights, there has been a significant transformation for the better

'Hawk'
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #334 on: August 12, 2006, 10:04:58 AM »

Calling Taiwan the "Republic of China" would be a complete disaster diplomatically.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #335 on: August 12, 2006, 12:51:52 PM »

Calling Taiwan the "Republic of China" would be a complete disaster diplomatically.

Sadly, that would undoubtedly prove to be the case, which is why I'm minded rather than decided Wink but free trade with the PRC, NO!

'Hawk'
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #336 on: August 16, 2006, 09:45:05 PM »

Leaving aside the question of whether the Senate should override the decisions of the territorial governments on the issues of alcohol and minimum wage, I'd like to point out that in the case of American Samoa, you'll be almost tripling the minimum wage there.  In relative terms, it would be like raising the minimum wage in Wisconsin from the current real life state minimum of $6.50 to $17.33.  That's higher than even what opebo calls for!

The insular territories have very fragile economies that because of their location and size will never be fully integrated into the mainland economy.  They also have higher unemployment than the mainland.  Trying to apply mainland minimum wage rates will only force even more people to leave the insular territories for the mainland to find jobs than are already being forced by economic pressures already.  At least this foolishness won't apply to the Northern Marianas.  The Compact of Free Association we have with them leaves labor law up to the NMI.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #337 on: August 19, 2006, 07:55:20 AM »

Just a note to give notice that I'll be on leave of absence for about a week.
If I may give notice on furture votes:
On my Alcohol Reform Bill amendment - Aye
On all other matters - Abstain
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #338 on: August 30, 2006, 12:44:10 PM »

My views on the Copyright Reform Bill.

First, while I agree that copyrights currently last too long, I think 25 years is probably too short.  30 to 50 years seems an appropriate term.

Second, while reducing the terms of existing copyrights as clause 2 of the bill provides is within the Senate's power (tho not their extension) it could prove expensive given clause 9 of our Bill of Rights.  If this isn't an example of takings, I don't know what ain't.  Cheaper to simply reduce the term of new copyrights, and simply let the old ones expire on their own.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #339 on: August 30, 2006, 03:14:55 PM »

My views on the Copyright Reform Bill.

First, while I agree that copyrights currently last too long, I think 25 years is probably too short.  30 to 50 years seems an appropriate term.

Second, while reducing the terms of existing copyrights as clause 2 of the bill provides is within the Senate's power (tho not their extension) it could prove expensive given clause 9 of our Bill of Rights.  If this isn't an example of takings, I don't know what ain't.  Cheaper to simply reduce the term of new copyrights, and simply let the old ones expire on their own.

Great, now watch nobody offer any amendments and then all vote against it in three days.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #340 on: August 30, 2006, 05:17:51 PM »

More likely to die because of the start of the new Senate this Friday.  Unless someone reproposes it for the new Senate.  Only a little under 43 hours left before the current Senate closes up and the new one begns.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #341 on: September 17, 2006, 05:22:22 PM »

TD, because you are in my district, I will formally introduce the legislation for you..... I have made a minor revision or two, but have not changed the spirit of the bill.

Atlasia Revitalization Act

1. The Vice President, the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, one Governor as chosen out of the five, and two citizens appointed by the President shall make up the Atlasian Revitalization Committee.

2. The purpose of the said committee shall be to research and draw up a comprehensive plan in order to revitalize Atlasia through new citizens and more active participation in ways including but not limited to the following: advertising on other political forums, relations with other micronations,  to create a better atmosphere for all.

3. The Atlasian Revitalization Committee shall deliver its findings to the Senate of Atlasia. Upon which time, the Senate will deliberate on the committee's findings, and designate a proper solution.

Could this be moved to the top?  I believe it's pretty urgent, plus it's forum affairs legislation.

Yes, I consider it forum affairs legislation and will move it into the slot currently occupied by the Cabinet Restructuring Bill, once it has been resolved by the Senate

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #342 on: September 17, 2006, 05:43:37 PM »

TD, because you are in my district, I will formally introduce the legislation for you..... I have made a minor revision or two, but have not changed the spirit of the bill.

Atlasia Revitalization Act

1. The Vice President, the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, one Governor as chosen out of the five, and two citizens appointed by the President shall make up the Atlasian Revitalization Committee.

2. The purpose of the said committee shall be to research and draw up a comprehensive plan in order to revitalize Atlasia through new citizens and more active participation in ways including but not limited to the following: advertising on other political forums, relations with other micronations,  to create a better atmosphere for all.

3. The Atlasian Revitalization Committee shall deliver its findings to the Senate of Atlasia. Upon which time, the Senate will deliberate on the committee's findings, and designate a proper solution.

Could this be moved to the top?  I believe it's pretty urgent, plus it's forum affairs legislation.

Yes, I consider it forum affairs legislation and will move it into the slot currently occupied by the Cabinet Restructuring Bill, once it has been resolved by the Senate

'Hawk'

Actually, Senator Jas has withdrawn his GM Resolution. It can take its place

'Hawk'
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #343 on: October 05, 2006, 07:41:48 PM »

On Dr. Cynic's works bill, there is no federal minimum wage.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #344 on: October 05, 2006, 07:51:39 PM »

On Dr. Cynic's works bill, there is no federal minimum wage.

Senator Dr Cynic will either have to adjust his Bill to reflect that before it reaches the floor or the Senate will have to amend it once it reaches the floor

'Hawk'
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #345 on: October 05, 2006, 08:07:33 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2006, 08:14:49 PM by Senator Doctor Cynic »

I have amended my bill.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #346 on: October 06, 2006, 10:42:19 PM »

In response to Senator's Hawk requestfor postal information, I have the following.

I am unaware of any countries that have totally provatized ther postal system.  However, several countries have done away with the monopoly status of their government owned postal system, allowing for competion for all classes of domestic mail service, and in the case of New Zealand, international mail service (altho no company has yet gotten into that, probably because of hassles from the UPU).
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #347 on: October 07, 2006, 09:55:47 AM »

In response to Senator's Hawk requestfor postal information, I have the following.

I am unaware of any countries that have totally provatized ther postal system.  However, several countries have done away with the monopoly status of their government owned postal system, allowing for competion for all classes of domestic mail service, and in the case of New Zealand, international mail service (altho no company has yet gotten into that, probably because of hassles from the UPU).

Thank you Smiley

'Hawk'
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #348 on: October 08, 2006, 05:58:32 PM »

And what empowers the Senate to create and maintain (the National Zoo)? Seriously, I'm curious.

Article I Section 5 Clauses 12 and 15 would apply to any zoo in Atlasia and Article I Section 5 Clause 25 applies to the National Zoo in particular.  Clauses 12 and 15 have no counterpart in the U.S. Constitution, but they provide an explict grant of power for research and education activities in the Atlasian Constitution.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #349 on: October 10, 2006, 02:07:25 PM »

I am going to have to object to section 1 of the Military Modernization and Readiness Bill.  The reason the first four Ohios were converted from SSBN's to SSGN's was because the arms controls treaties we've signed limit us to 14 SSBN's, so we had the choice of either retiring the vessels or modifying them to the SSGN configuration.  The next four Ohios (SSBN-730 to SSBN-733) have just recently completed an upgrade that included replacing the C-4 Trident I missiles with the same D-5 Trident II missiles that were in the remaining 10 Ohio-class subs (SSBN-734 to SSBN-743).  Altering any further SSBN-726's to the SSGN-726 configuration only makes sense if we are going to further reduce the size of our submarine launched ballistic missile force, and absent a new arms control treaty with the Russians, that is not something I could support.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies